Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2009, 00:32   #211
Senior - BHPian

@amit... those are great efficiency numbers!
Old 2nd September 2009, 14:19   #212
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
754kms on a full tank of diesel with about 125kms still to go as per MID.
Amazing FE !!

over-850 kms in a tank-full that too diesel. Your running cost is coming less than Rs. 1.75 per km
Old 2nd September 2009, 14:28   #213
BHPian

Hey Amit ! Good going man. Total Kms Done ??
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:59   #214
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys although I want the car to return the mileage of 21.3kmpl during my day today driving cycle. Let's see how things progress from here.

Here is a conversation I had with a guy who started a conversation with me on the Punto.

Him: How is this car? How is the performance?
Me: Car is fantastic and performance is adequate.
Him: What about mileage?
Me: 18-19kmpl.
Him: Wow! That's really good.
Me: Mine is a diesel.
Him: I am planning to buy a petrol but was advised that Fiat cars are not good and they are not successful in the market.
Me: Who advised you? Have they ever owned a Fiat?
Him: No!
Me: I had a Palio S10 with a 1.6L 100bhp engine.
Him: Yes I noticed you many times and then I saw you in a Punto so I thought of asking you as you have owned 2 Fiat's.
Me: If I after owning a 100bhp Palio find the Punto's performance adequate then how come people who have never owned a Fiat feel it's not good?
Him: The engine is 1.3 right?
Me: It's a 1.3 diesel and 1.4 Petrol.
Him: Oh. I want to buy petrol. If I get 18-19 I am happy.
Me: Petrol will not give you so much. It should be about 13-14.
Him: But you said you get 19?
Me: Mine is diesel. Any diesel will give you more mileage then petrol.
Him: Oh is that so? That's good to know!
Me: (In my mind )
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:03   #215
BHPian

Talk about research and understanding the vehicle you are going to own. There's a typical Indian consumer for you.
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:24   #216
Senior - BHPian

Shows how much an average car buyer is aware of something called as 'Research'.
Most car buying ordinary people depends on hear says.
A friend,relative,gf,wife or anyone said Fiat,Tata,Hyundai or any brand is not good and they just believe it without doing their own research.
Sad!
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:31   #217
Senior - BHPian

Nice FE.

BTW - my vRS now shows a trip distance of 500 kms and 1/4 tank fuel still left (120-140 kms)
Old 2nd September 2009, 20:00   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Here is a conversation I had with a guy who started a conversation with me on the Punto.
Me: (In my mind )

LOL, that had me ROFTL ....so sad but so true and typical.

Ever notice how the Indian consumer doing his "research" never asks straight questions but always states a hypothesis that he has heard from someone else - either a self-professed 'expert' or 'oracle? That used to get my goat but now I only pity those poor lost souls.

@Amit - nice to see you prove that there is life after a Palio 1.6!

Cheers,
Old 2nd September 2009, 20:16   #219
BHPian

Amit - your Punto's FE is awesome.

Can you also post your driving style and other (good) practices (that would contribute to good FE), of course apart from the car itself? I am sure it will be as helpful for many!

Some of these may be
1. What TOD is fuel filled (generally)
2. What TOD or when and at what frequency is tyre pressure checked - is it any different from manufacturer recommended
3. When (what RPM) do you upshift?
4. When do you decide to downshift?
5. What speeds do you maintain on free roads?
6. What do you do at signals (use handbrake, switch off etc.)?
7. How many ppl on board the car (generally)?
8. Of course, anything else that is relevant!

Thanks for your patience!
Old 2nd September 2009, 22:04   #220
BHPian

Hi,
First, amazing report here amit..

I have been following almost all the ownership reports here for the punto.. (which I have been following until last week)

But no one has suggested on 1 feature in the punto; in the EMOTION Pk especially.

I previously owned a face lifted Indica Turbo DLX, But disappointed me only in 1 feature: the buzzer. But bought it as then it was my budget. (actually the performance for the price)

I hoped the buzzer would stay beeping till I wore my seat belt; instead of beeping for just 3 - 5 times and stopping.. Then Past the 120 km/h mark instead of the orange light, i wished it could beep.. (like the cars internationally. Heard them in all the cars in gulf) I have lost track of speed a lot of times in her on the pune expressway!!

Now its the punto..

What i wanted to know, how is the buzzer? I mean the speed programable buzzer. How loud is it? Enough to bring your attention? Till which MINIMUM speed can it be programmed to go off?? Another feature which increased the chances of me booking her..

Secondly, the auto lock when the punto starts moving; can it also be customized? (BTW does it exist?)

INFO: I've already booked a 1.4 E+ this monday from wasan, marine lines, waiting for the 9th sept, eagerly.. which feels so loonngg!!

Thanx
Old 3rd September 2009, 00:18   #221
BHPian

@TC_aashay:

Yes Sir, The buzzer is speed programmable, its volume is also programmable. The programmable value increases/decreases in least count of 5KM/hr. What more you can even change the speed and the consumption and the temperature units to suit you.

Till 3000KM I had set the buzzer at 85KM/hr and now after the 1st service it is set at 115KM/hr as that is the speed barrier for me on the highways in my part of country. Great features results in great results. I have achieved excellent run in thanks to these features. Another very helpful feature is the Instantaeneous Consumption which is also quite accurate.

The auto lock works at 20KM/hr speed. It can only be switched on/off. Speed can't be changed. I believe that's not required either. What I would have loved addditionally is the auto windows close on locking with engine off.
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:18   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
1. What TOD is fuel filled (generally)
No particular fixation on this. Last full tank was done at about 9.15am in the morning. The current tank full was done at 7pm.

Quote:
What TOD or when and at what frequency is tyre pressure checked - is it any different from manufacturer recommended
Timing is not fixed. Tyre pressure is checked when tyres are cold. I drive about 1 to 1.5kms before I reach the fuel pump. Pressure is manufacturer's recommended at 29psi on all four tyres.

Quote:
When (what RPM) do you upshift?
I listen to the engine and see the rpm for this. Because the first two gears are weak, I generally take the car to about 2500rpm before upshifting to third. After that, I try and shift by 2000 - 2300 rpm. I aim to get into fifth by 60-65kmph. Most important is that I never lug the engine.

Quote:
When do you decide to downshift?
Punto loses steam under 1500rpm because it gets out of turbo range then. Moment engine goes below 1500rpm I downshift. To keep the car moving, you have to keep the turbo on spool. This happens from 1500 - 1700 rpm onwards.

Quote:
What speeds do you maintain on free roads?
About 80-90kmph with short bursts to 100kmph depending on traffic conditions. I have not crossed 100kmph because the car still shows about 26xxkms.

Quote:
What do you do at signals (use handbrake, switch off etc.)?
Handbrake stops.

Quote:
How many ppl on board the car (generally)?
2. ACC is always on, temperature is set at whatever makes me comfortable.

Quote:
Of course, anything else that is relevant!
I never lug the engine. To keep the car moving you have to keep the turbo on spool. This happens from 1500 - 1700rpm onwards. As is clear from the posts above, I am not doing anything out of the ordinary to get maximum mileage. I don't believe in that. To get real world mileage, you have to drive, fill up fuel / air pressure normally and that's what I am trying to do. The only indulgence I do is sometimes I keep the instant consumption display on and that helps to know at what rpm, gear and speed the car is giving best mileage.

Having said that, I feel I will have to make minor adjustments to get the mileage to stay around 20 -21 kmpl. In my day to-day driving, I seem to be stuck at 18 - 18.5kmpl. The latest tank full is also showing a mileage of 18.1 kmpl so far. Trip done so far is about 80kms. Suggestions to further improve fuel economy are welcome .

Last edited by amit : 3rd September 2009 at 12:22.
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:48   #223
BHPian

Hey Amit,

I just happened to find your Punto thread now!

The drive from Lonavala to Mumbai and vice versa using the old route is the best testing the car's stability and performance!

One thing i wanted to ask you, after driving the S10 7 years, how do you feel the gaps between Punto's cluth pedal and brakes. Also the dead pedal.

I found it too uncomfortable when I test drove it may be because in the Palio's pedal gaps are neatly placed and they do not intrude with each other.

This case could be matter of getting used it! but thought to know your experience over it.

Where do you service your car? Though I bought mine from Fortune Nerul, I've done my 2 services from Wasan Deonar and 3rd from Fortune Powai which i feel is the best for Mumbai!

Lastly it was beautiful to see 3 generations FIAT's together riding back home. The Palio S10 <-> Palio Stile 1.6 Sports <-> Grande Punto

(I hope you recognised me )

Cheers~

Last edited by rudrah : 3rd September 2009 at 12:51.
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:03   #224
BHPian

hahaa amit, typical buyer!

Next step, he probably will compare the mileage figures of Ritz-diesel & Punto-petrol and will declare Fiat gives low mileage yaar. Let me go for maruti!
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:58   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
One thing i wanted to ask you, after driving the S10 7 years, how do you feel the gaps between Punto's cluth pedal and brakes. Also the dead pedal.

I found it too uncomfortable when I test drove it may be because in the Palio's pedal gaps are neatly placed and they do not intrude with each other.

This case could be matter of getting used it! but thought to know your experience over it.
Yes i have heard about the closely placed pedals but I never had a problem with them.

Quote:
Where do you service your car? Though I bought mine from Fortune Nerul, I've done my 2 services from Wasan Deonar and 3rd from Fortune Powai which i feel is the best for Mumbai!
Since there is no oil or filter change in the first service, I plan to do it from Fortune, Nerul. Rest of the services, I plan to go to Fortune, Powai.

Quote:
(I hope you recognised me
Yes of course .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks