Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2009, 22:39   #76
Senior - BHPian

Vid, sometimes try to look at the positive side too!
Every new car will have some minor bugs, it is good they are rectified pretty soon.

Last edited by finneyp : 13th July 2009 at 22:41.
Old 13th July 2009, 22:45   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Loose bolts on the second day after delivery!!!! What happened to the PDI?
Based on my experience with the SX4 and now with Punto delivery I have realised that PDI is nothing but a job of stamping the papers and claiming everything is okay.

Quote:
Tie rods changed, loose bolts, and steering noise not problems I would want to face on the second day of owning a new car.
It's obvious the tie rods were perfectly okay and were uselessly changed. Steering noise is gone. Drove the car for over 40 kms after I left the dealership and there are no noises anywhere.

Last edited by amit : 13th July 2009 at 22:48.
Old 13th July 2009, 23:43   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
PDI is nothing but a job of stamping the papers and claiming everything is okay.
+1.
Its just filling in of coupons and sticking stickers "PDI OK". My Linea had a broken AC vent at delivery time (dont know whether the cleaning staff broke it or i broke it) but then it was changed under warranty.
When i took delivery of Scorpio, the blower fan knob was almost coming out, got it rectified next day. PDI is nothing i guess.

Quote:
It's obvious the tie rods were perfectly okay and were uselessly changed. Steering noise is gone. .
Good that the steering noise is gone. Lineas had a problem with "CLICK" sound from suspensions or vibrations when steering was turned a full turn, fiat had told all serv centres to replace tie rods in cars where owners reported any such issue as told by my SA. My Linea didnt have this issue.
Old 14th July 2009, 00:46   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Every new car will have some minor bugs, it is good they are rectified pretty soon.
Finney,

Awesome man - simply awesome. A factory fresh car even without a PDI should not have loose bolts.

What if it was a Ford ? Or a Skoda ? Would you have said the same thing - "It is good the bugs are rectified soon" ??

Anyways - as many of you will say "Let's keep the Fiat bashing aside" - I step aside and let us all let Amit continue with the report.

btw - thought of a name for the car ?
Old 14th July 2009, 09:29   #80
Senior - BHPian

wooahhh!!!!Another 5-star rated had started
congrats Amit on the GP.its raining RED Punto in forum.
Old 14th July 2009, 10:13   #81
Senior - BHPian

Congrats.!

Quote:
A quick update.

There was some kind of noise coming seemingly from the underbody of the car. I suspected that the muffler was loose and hence hitting the underside. I sent the car to Fortune today morning. At 3pm I reached the dealership to check on the progress. The guy's changed the front tie rods saying that Fiat had asked dealers to change tie rods of Linea on customer complaints. I hadn't heard of that but allowed them to do the work. New tie rods installed the car was taken for a test drive and sound was still there. Another technician was now called. He opened the bonnet, checked some bolts, found 2 of them loose and tightened them. Off we went for a test drive and the problem is gone. It took him 2 minutes to solve the issue!
Thats shocking !!
First they change the parts on the basis of Lineas field issues then they open the bonnet to search around for loose bolts. No offense to you but thats a ridiculous way of handling a newly launched two day old car.
IMO you should escalate this issue and ask for proper justification from Fiat India rather than leaving it for the service center ppl to do their hit and trial analysis on your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post

Last edited by kpzen : 14th July 2009 at 10:19.
Old 14th July 2009, 10:30   #82
Senior - BHPian

Spoke with my colleague who spent all day at the service center. It were the Link Rods that were changed and not tie rods. These cost Rs.1,400 per piece if your car is out of warranty. Also, will try and get pictures of the loose nut that was tightened. Saw it today morning and I would call it a nut rather then a bolt.

Drove today morning to work. No noises from anywhere. As silent as a morgue .

Last edited by amit : 14th July 2009 at 10:31.
Old 14th July 2009, 11:13   #83
BHPian

Hi Amit,

Beautiful Car, looks great in red and I for one like the instrument panel.

Have you got a pete's box already? if yes would like to hear your experience and the change in the driving characteristics.

Have you got the tints, any ice? Post some more pictures when you do.

Im in the market for a small diesel hatch and Maruti is a strict no-no. but the Punto's lack of grunt is putting me off a bit.
Old 14th July 2009, 11:25   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensi View Post
Beautiful Car, looks great in red and I for one like the instrument panel.
Thanks. I like the instrument panel too. I was a bit skeptical at first because the Linea's had a white background and Punto has a grey one but now I feel Punto's is better because in the Linea, the warning lights icons are always visible thanks to the white background but not in the Punto.

At night the instrumentation just pushes the driving envorin's a notch up with the red backlighting. Red lighting is sporty!

Quote:
Have you got a pete's box already? if yes would like to hear your experience and the change in the driving characteristics.
Pete's is planned only after 10,000kms.

Quote:
Have you got the tints, any ice? Post some more pictures when you do.
Experts here suggest that tints should be got after monsoons but I don't know if I can hold out till September. The only ICE change I am considering is change of speakers. But nothing is decided yet.

Quote:
Im in the market for a small diesel hatch and Maruti is a strict no-no. but the Punto's lack of grunt is putting me off a bit.
The first gear does make the car feel hesitant. But it could be the newness of the engine. Can't say anything about that till the running in is through.
Old 14th July 2009, 12:42   #85
BHPian

Hey Amit .. its a beautiful car man !

She looks stunning.. red colour should go well with your personality !!

Hope i get a ride in your Zo-zo sometime soon..
Old 14th July 2009, 14:16   #86
BANNED

Quote:
There was some kind of noise coming seemingly from the underbody of the car. I suspected that the muffler was loose and hence hitting the underside. I sent the car to Fortune today morning. At 3pm I reached the dealership to check on the progress. The guy's changed the front tie rods saying that Fiat had asked dealers to change tie rods of Linea on customer complaints. I hadn't heard of that but allowed them to do the work. New tie rods installed the car was taken for a test drive and sound was still there. Another technician was now called. He opened the bonnet, checked some bolts, found 2 of them loose and tightened them. Off we went for a test drive and the problem is gone. It took him 2 minutes to solve the issue!

However, the steering started making a chir chir sound on slight movements being made. It was 5.20pm and dealer said he needs at least 2 hours to check the problem. I didn't want to leave the car so took it back. Within a kilometer of driving the sound was gone and hasn't come back since.
This is on the similar lines of what I experienced with Linea. 2nd day after taking delivery I was at the TASS. In my short but extensive experience with TASS for such items, my observations (based on my experience)are ....
  • Sometimes we get too touchy about a seemingly non-existant or very small issue & pay a visit to TASS. Though I try to limit it, still am not able to control myself sometimes of heading to TASS.
  • TASS technicians have still not developed expertese on new Fiat cars. I heard Fiat has trained them extensively. And also the fact that the issues I went to TASS for solution were the 1st time handled by them & individually by that mechanic.
  • Or on the other hand, this A.S.S. could have told you (like usually all A.S.S. do) that "we do not hear any abnormal sound or the sound is normal. However, if you insist, we'll have to check the car & need 2-4 hours & will call you once its done". This generally happens. Thereafter, whether they have changed Link Rods or tighten 2 nuts, you don't know. 4 hours later when you come & get the vehicle without sound, you'll be a happy customer.
  • May be Fiat needs to train ALL Tata A.S.S. mechanics rather than a few ones as you really don't know which mechanic will work on your car looking at the load on them & the way work gets distributed.
  • Till that happens & till they get more Fiat cars to service & get experienced, I've decided not to visit TASS for very very small things & let it get solved "naturally" or in case I can't resist to go to TASS, I should remain present when work is carried out as far as possible.

Last edited by VahanPujari : 14th July 2009 at 14:33.
Old 14th July 2009, 14:19   #87
Senior - BHPian

@Amit- Couple of Q's-
1.- Why pete's only after 10000km, any specific reason?
2.- Can the alloys be changed?
3.- Can we pair a woofer and amp with the current system along with change of speakers?
Old 14th July 2009, 14:33   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharp77 View Post
Push the lever the other side (opposite to the way you did for activating) and hold it for 2 secs. It will get deactivated.

Sorry Amit . One question ... do we need to activate the coming home function each and every time or if we do it once it will stored.
It won't be stored.
whenever you need it,have to activate by pushing the lever.
Old 14th July 2009, 14:39   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
It won't be stored.
whenever you need it,have to activate by pushing the lever.
Yes, the same thing I also experienced
It won't get stored in Linea.
Old 14th July 2009, 14:45   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can we pair a woofer and amp with the current system along with change of speakers?
That cannot be done if it is a emotion pack as blue and me will not work. but in other models it can be done

Most Viewed