Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2009, 15:21   #121
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Every company resorts to smart cost cutting. They cut costs of parts that aren't easily and constantly visible to the eyes. Let's see how Fiat has gone about doing this.

Interior light unit. Looks cheap. Button's feel cheap to operate too.

Atrocious finishing in some areas!

The offending loose nut that was left loose by some nut at Fiat's Ranjangaon plant.

Surrounding nuts were checked for looseness. Luckily all of them passed the test with flying colours.

Design defect? This is the rubber beading inside the engine bay. It seems to have been cut off. The beading on the other side is intact though.

The culprit? I think it's the constant pressure from the lever that's used to hold the bonnet open.
That's actually a Tata effect.

If you look at all Plastics, various levers, switches, Fit N Finish you'll find something or the other.

Most of these items are supplied by Tata Vendors

The Tata effect seems to be "Give 'more' at an affordbale price" compromising all these quality fit n finish issues
Old 17th July 2009, 15:25   #122
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Amit,

How do you compare the quality of Punto's plastics with your S10 including the fit and finish? Looking at the pictures, I feel my Palio GTX's fit is much better.

I agree with VP that it could be the result of TATA
Old 17th July 2009, 15:39   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a pretty big mistake for someone to make at the plant and shows deficiency not in PDI at dealers end but Quality checks at the plant itself.
I totally agree and the PDI part is exactly what I asked the dealer. All they said was that the PDI is done at the main stockyard at Panvel and not at their service center. It's amazing how dealers across makes consider buyer's to be total fools. Anyway, it's been 3 days and a couple of hundred kilometers since the nut was tightened on Monday and everything is smooth and quiet now. Hopefully the loose nut was an exception rather then the norm. Maybe it was Friday 5PM when the nut was working on the engine nut.

Quote:
How do you compare the quality of Punto's plastics with your S10 including the fit and finish? Looking at the pictures, I feel my Palio GTX's fit is much better.
I would rate Punto plastics slightly better in touch and feel then Palio's hard plastics. Fit and finish - well the Palio has a atrocious part too - the storage area above the glovebox had extremely poor fit and finish. Of course, it's too early to comment on how well screwed together the plastics are. The Palio, for it's hard feel plastics, was very well put together in terms of absence of rattles. I have just done over 500 kms in the Punto so it's too early to say if it will match the Palio in robustess.

Last edited by amit : 17th July 2009 at 15:41.
Old 17th July 2009, 18:18   #124
BHPian

Well, but these kind of things only make skeptics turn away from Fiat. I don't think price is *that* low to justify such bad quality plastics & cost cutting. And when they do eventually increase price in another 3 months or so, they would look even more cheap! Linea MJD E+ at 9.28 L OTR Pune now doesn't justify rattling parcel tray and broken bonnet lever and some shabby looking plastic parts falling apart!

GP MJD E+ is 1L more than Swift MJD VDi-ABS. Swift offers much better BHP/Ton ration, but GP scores in handling. If maruti introduces ZDi (with alloys, ICE and steering mounted controls) close to GP pricing, I am sure GP sale would drop drastically. i20 CRDI had that chance, but then Hyundai's pricing is getting beyond ridiculous now. :(

As of now GP seems to be best bet in B+ segment as VFM proposition, but I think Linea at the time of launch was a much better overall package with VGT & all those goodies just under 9L OTR.
Old 17th July 2009, 21:10   #125
Senior - BHPian

Updating on few points that were raised earlier:

Quote:
The test drive Punto had the same action as the Linea. Pull the lever and washer fluid was sprayed and wipers wiped 3 times and then with a delay. Maybe you should check this.
Washer and spray works like in the Linea. Lever is pulled, washer fluid sprays and a second later wipers swipe three times and then about 10 seconds later another swipe to clear the left over trickle.

Quote:
No, it should pair even if you start the car first & then switch on the bluetooth. Probably some issue when you created earlier pairing profiles in your phone.
Try to delete both B&M pairing profiles from your phone & also delete all user data in B&M & then pair it all over again. It should work
Works well now. Seems like the two Blue&Me pairings were creating some conflict. I deleted the two profiles from my phone, deleted all user data and paired the phone again. Now it pairs automatically everytime. Also, connects quickly to B&M even if I switch on bluetooth after sitting in the car.

Done a little over 500kms now. After the loose nut was tightened, the only noise heard in the car is gone. Everything is working smoothly and everything feels solid. Cabin is quiet, eeriely quiet in fact.

No issues to report. The drive is getting better and better everyday as more kilometer's are being raked up. The big car feel is making it's presence felt and the car feels so planted and sure footed. It's amazing and it's just the beginning. I can't wait for the running in to be over so I can take it on the highway. Something tells me it's going to be the best highway drive I have expereinced.
Old 17th July 2009, 21:42   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
If maruti introduces ZDi (with alloys, ICE and steering mounted controls) close to GP pricing, I am sure GP sale would drop drastically.
I think Dzire is the main reason they didnt launch a ZDI on a Swift. One thing which Fiat has done right is giving multiple engine options so they cover from the Swift Segment upto the Jazz,i20 Segment. Also Swift has been around for quite sometime and quite boring to see on the roads now.If i were in the market -Punto E+ MJD anyday for me over others.

Sorry for going OT.
Old 17th July 2009, 22:09   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
That's actually a Tata effect.

If you look at all Plastics, various levers, switches, Fit N Finish you'll find something or the other.

Most of these items are supplied by Tata Vendors

The Tata effect seems to be "Give 'more' at an affordbale price" compromising all these quality fit n finish issues
OT.
I remember about a similar thing in the U.S. The same suppliers provided parts to U.S as well as Japanese manufacturers. According to the suppliers the Japanese had better fit, finish and quality because the design input they provided was better.

I don't understand why people are blaming Tata for everything they don't like on Fiat cars.
Old 17th July 2009, 22:35   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
You make it sound like everything in these car's is cheap and badly put together! I don't agree with that. The dashboard is well made and finished. The aircon, power window switches, light and wiper stalks all give a feel of good quality and are solid and well put together. It's the not so easily visible area's where lesser quality parts have been used. Every company resorts to such smart cost cutting measures.

Last edited by amit : 17th July 2009 at 22:42.
Old 17th July 2009, 23:37   #129
BANNED

Quote:
You make it sound like everything in these car's is cheap and badly put together! I don't agree with that. The dashboard is well made and finished. The aircon, power window switches, light and wiper stalks all give a feel of good quality and are solid and well put together. It's the not so easily visible area's where lesser quality parts have been used. Every company resorts to such smart cost cutting measures.
Aircon vents in my Linea are not good. The sliding mechanism to slide it left n right is hard in some vents while smooth in others.
THe inside screw housing was broken after 1 month & I had to replace the entire Central Satia though under warranty. All levers (steering adj, seat height adj, bonnet lever etc) though not yet broken do not look or feel strong. Look no further than under the seats towards door side in front from where seat belts comes out. There are 2 plastic covers. Extremely flimsy. The one on driver side was missing in my Linea.
Rubber beading in engine bay is not properly fixed & often needs to fix with punches.
Yes,the Power window switches, light & viper stalks, dash & other parts are strong.
Agree with below.
Quote:
It's the not so easily visible area's where lesser quality parts have been used. Every company resorts to such smart cost cutting measures

Last edited by VahanPujari : 17th July 2009 at 23:39.
Old 18th July 2009, 11:05   #130
BHPian

Quote:
I can't wait for the running in to be over so I can take it on the highway. Something tells me it's going to be the best highway drive I have expereinced.
Should we not take the car on highways until run-in period is over? I thought it is OK to drive the car on highways when running-in, but with keeping some restrictions.
Old 18th July 2009, 11:14   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Should we not take the car on highways until run-in period is over? I thought it is OK to drive the car on highways when running-in, but with keeping some restrictions.
Of course you can take it on the highways. In fact, my daily driving pattern is about 70% highway. What I meant to say is that post the running in, I can take it on the highways without any rpm and speed restrictions.
Old 18th July 2009, 23:51   #132
BANNED

Quote:
The aircon,
Amit,

Pls share your experience with Punto AC. As I'm always intrigued by very specific traits of Linea AC as below (not yet able to find any logical reasoning):
  • If I switch off the AC (or even the compressor keeping fan ON), within no time i.e. 10-15 seconds the cooling is complete gone & I start feeling normal heat. This is so unlike all other cars where cooling remains for 1-2 minutes. This happens at early morning & nights also.
  • When I start the car in early morning & do not turn on the AC & do not roll down the window glasses, again within 10-15 seconds, I start feeling normal heat & sometimes even suffocation. Its as if I can not drive Linea with AC / compressor OFF without rolling down the windows with only the fan on.
The above 2 things are also experienced by other Linea owners.

Do you also face similar things in Punto AC? what could be the reason?
Old 19th July 2009, 00:56   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I think Dzire is the main reason they didnt launch a ZDI on a Swift. One thing which Fiat has done right is giving multiple engine options so they cover from the Swift Segment upto the Jazz,i20 Segment. Also Swift has been around for quite sometime and quite boring to see on the roads now.If i were in the market -Punto E+ MJD anyday for me over others.

Sorry for going OT.
i think the reason why maruti has no swift/ ritz zdi is some issue related to the ex showroom price going above 6 lac. i heard it has something to do with road tax calc, not sure on this.
Old 19th July 2009, 10:54   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
i think the reason why maruti has no swift/ ritz zdi is some issue related to the ex showroom price going above 6 lac. i heard it has something to do with road tax calc, not sure on this.
And why does Maruti alone face this issue? What happens to road tax calculations for cars above 6 lac ex-showroom? Maybe they want people to shell out more Moolah and get the Dzire if safety is paramount for potential Swift D buyers.
Old 19th July 2009, 12:02   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on my experience with the SX4 and now with Punto delivery I have realised that PDI is nothing but a job of stamping the papers and claiming everything is okay.
I have the same experience from Hyundai aswell.

Quote:
Do you know what's the best part of the Punto (or any new car)?

The new car smell. I am loving it!
I also love it. It keeps me reminding that it is new and mine. Enjoy!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks