Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:29   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Lastly it was beautiful to see 3 generations FIAT's together riding back home. The Palio S10 <-> Palio Stile 1.6 Sports <-> Grande Punto
Why not relive the moment? How about a meet this weekend? Other Fiat owners from Mumbai could also be invited.
Old 7th September 2009, 16:55   #227
Senior - BHPian

My Punto was parked in second gear with handbrake engaged on Thursday, 11pm. Today morning at 9.15am I started the car and when I drove it, it moved with a KHAT sound. It was the sound of the brakes, seemed like they had jammed and when the car moved they released with a Khat. Is this normal? I have noticed that the brakes of this car tend to get jammed easily. Even 48 hours of parking with handbrake pulled up makes the car move with a little khat - distinct releasing of the brakes.

Neither Palio had nor the SX4 has this problem so I am guessing it's not normal or is parking of 3 days means it's normal? My car is almost at 2700kms so first service is coming up soon and I can get it checked out.

The stock speakers are pretty rubbish. At volumes of 9 and over, I can hear a rattle in the left side door panel. Either it's the speaker or the door panel.
Old 7th September 2009, 17:18   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
My Punto was parked in second gear with handbrake engaged on Thursday, 11pm. Today morning at 9.15am I started the car and when I drove it, it moved with a KHAT sound. It was the sound of the brakes, seemed like they had jammed and when the car moved they released with a Khat. Is this normal? I have noticed that the brakes of this car tend to get jammed easily. Even 48 hours of parking with handbrake pulled up makes the car move with a little khat - distinct releasing of the brakes.

Neither Palio had nor the SX4 has this problem so I am guessing it's not normal or is parking of 3 days means it's normal? My car is almost at 2700kms so first service is coming up soon and I can get it checked out.

The stock speakers are pretty rubbish. At volumes of 9 and over, I can hear a rattle in the left side door panel. Either it's the speaker or the door panel.
Interestingly i had read about this brakes issue today morning only in a Linea thread where many Linea owners had complained about it so i feel Punto is facing the same issue!

Ya i felt the same about speakers when heard them in my td.
Are you planning to upgrade the speakers?

Is there anyone on t-bhp who had gone for speaker changes,amos or woofer installation in punto yet?
Old 7th September 2009, 20:59   #229
BHPian

Quote:
it moved with a KHAT sound. It was the sound of the brakes, seemed like they had jammed and when the car moved they released with a Khat. Is this normal? I have noticed that the brakes of this car tend to get jammed easily. Even 48 hours of parking with handbrake pulled up makes the car move with a little khat - distinct releasing of the brakes.
+1 to that : happens with me too. I intend to get it checked during first service. I also look forward to reading your review after your first service is complete.

Quote:
Definitely is the door panel. I had the volume of my system at 15-16 some time back and there was absolutely no rattling sound from the speakers.
Old 7th September 2009, 22:06   #230
BHPian

Is the brakes sound like a grinding noise? It especially comes when you are slowly releasing brakes (when on an incline / moving from standstill).
It is normal, every Linea has it and apparently slamming brakes at high speed gets rid of this (maybe the brakes loosen up a bit after this).
Old 8th September 2009, 00:09   #231
BANNED

There is no such issues in my Linea. 3 times it remained idle for longer period - once for 18 days, once for 12 days & once for 7 days. Never ever it had any problem whatsoever when starting it after such longer periods.

Try running the engine idle for 1 minute after starting the car & pulling down the handbrake & before engaging 1st gear & check ( I did not do this on above 3 occassions)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
Why not relive the moment? How about a meet this weekend? Other Fiat owners from Mumbai could also be invited.
Not bad at all

Why not Lonavala (which got cancelled earlier) ?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th September 2009 at 09:18. Reason: Editing back to back posts
Old 8th September 2009, 10:52   #232
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Amit,

Are you now used to the closed/cramped pedal area compared to S10? I personally found the area a little bit cramped compared to my GTX.

Or like many things, does it grown upon you?
Old 8th September 2009, 13:33   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
happens with me too. I intend to get it checked during first service
When are you doing your first service? Let me know how they solve it.

Question is what do we ask the ASC to check? Could it be that the handbrake is applying too much pressure on the brakes and hence they tend to get jammed easily?

Amogh, I have noticed that this sound comes only when vehicle is parked with handbrakes applied. I had parked the car earlier for upto 3 days without applying the handbrakes and after that when I drove it, it moved easily so I am guessing it's the handbrake at fault. Again, yesterday night I parked the car with handbrake engaged and when I drove it today morning, it moved smoothly. Maybe a change in it's setting's is required.

Quote:
Is the brakes sound like a grinding noise? It especially comes when you are slowly releasing brakes (when on an incline / moving from standstill).
Quote:
Try running the engine idle for 1 minute after starting the car & pulling down the handbrake & before engaging 1st gear & check
Since it's a turbo engine, I normally idle it for about a minute before driving but handbrake is engaged.

To make it clear, vehicle is parked with:

Handbrake engaged, driven daily : Smooth start.

Handbrake disengaged, driven after 2-3 days: Smooth start.

Handbrake engaged, driven after 2-3 days: KHAT sound. Brakes jammed.

Quote:
Amit,

Are you now used to the closed/cramped pedal area compared to S10? I personally found the area a little bit cramped compared to my GTX.
I have heard about the cramped footwell from many people but personally, I never faced any problem. From day one, I have been comfortable driving the car.

Update: Yesterday evening, I opened the hatch to put my laptop so I could drive back home from work. I closed the hatch, got inside, started the car and through the inside rear view mirror I see that the parcel tray is still up. Maybe the boot has not closed, but a glance at the MID shows it's not flashing the "Boot open" message. I get out, open the hatch and see that the rear parcel tray is broken! Just during normal operation! The left side clip had broken off. I managed a DIY job and got the tray to go up and come down with the hatch door, but now there is a constant rattle from from the parcel tray!

I will post pictures by tomorrow.

Last edited by amit : 8th September 2009 at 13:40.
Old 8th September 2009, 14:12   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Update: Yesterday evening, I opened the hatch to put my laptop so I could drive back home from work. I closed the hatch, got inside, started the car and through the inside rear view mirror I see that the parcel tray is still up. Maybe the boot has not closed, but a glance at the MID shows it's not flashing the "Boot open" message. I get out, open the hatch and see that the rear parcel tray is broken! Just during normal operation! The left side clip had broken off. I managed a DIY job and got the tray to go up and come down with the hatch door, but now there is a constant rattle from from the parcel tray!

Ooops, that's pretty sad. Parcel tray breaking just by closing the hatch. Didn't you hear a crunch sound when closing the hatch.

I'm sure the rear parcel tray must be made by Tata to cut costs and not by Fiat Italy.
Old 8th September 2009, 15:33   #235
BHPian

Quote:

The issue has been known for quite some time now. I have seen almost all Punto's at my dealership with the left side clip broken (mine included). But my dealer says they have not yet received any replacement. He claims the design is faulty and FIAT will send a replacement soon. How soon, that is the question?

I have simply taken out the parcel tray and kept it in the boot till the time the replacement clip is available.
Old 8th September 2009, 15:51   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
A bit contradictory regarding the S10, right Amit?

I do not remember who remarked that overtaking was a breeze in a Punto, but it is far from that. In fact, overtaking in a Punto involves spotting an opportunity, submitting an application, waiting it to get approved and then executing it, providing the opportunity exists still. With the Swift D, it was almost as if the car knew what you wanted and got the job done and dusted before you could say BLIMEY !!

I have encountered the situation you mentioned with the Civic, where my Punto revs drop and then the Indica taxi behind thinks I am a no-gooder driving slow in the fast lane. He honks, but cannot catchup with the Punto once I get the Punto alive. Lotsa taxi-wallahs think the Punto is slow and can be bullied into submission.
Ahh yes, single lane highways with a turbodiesel. What you need to do is slam down a gear and ride the torque wave while it pushes you into your seat
Old 8th September 2009, 16:15   #237
BHPian

Quote:

Even my Punto's parcel shelfs right clip is broken. Had to attend a out station marriage and lots of lagauge was pushed in in my absence.
I did adjust it a bit (DIY), but today the tray seems to be up and not going to its place easily and it rattles badly at every humps and ditches. It looks like the clip is in place but the place in which the tray rest (back end close to the seat-plastic) is torn apart. Is there a way to fix it
I just don't want to leave with it.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.
We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th September 2009 at 07:44.
Old 8th September 2009, 20:45   #238
BANNED

Quote:
To make it clear, vehicle is parked with:

Handbrake engaged, driven daily : Smooth start.

Handbrake disengaged, driven after 2-3 days: Smooth start.

Handbrake engaged, driven after 2-3 days: KHAT sound. Brakes jammed.

Amit,

Try the 3rd point again. But this time with handbrake pulled down & engine started.

Why I'm asking is because yday I observed something strange. Though I've a petrol Linea, I generally have this old-fashioned habit of idling engine while starting up for 30 - 60 sec. Yday, while handbrake was still pulled up, I started the engine & the rpm was showing 1500 instead of normal 800-900 rpm. the engine sound was also different slightly revved up. I disengaged the handbrake, promptly the rpm came to customary 800-900 rpm
Old 9th September 2009, 05:56   #239
Senior - BHPian

ABS perhaps?

Amit,

Not sure if this helps.

I heard a similar sound while driving a relative's Punto (White- MJD- EP).
I called up the service centre and they gave me an explanation that didnt cut much ice but here it goes.

The mechanics say that the ABS equipped versions have this sound. Once the car is kept parked for 2-3 days (min.), if the handbrake is fully engaged, the ABS sensors take a while to recognize that the car is ready to roll.

The solution is to leave the car in gear or bear the "Khat" sound. I know it sounds corny. In order to validate this theory we need some non- ABS version not go "Khat" and an ABS version doing that after being parked for 2-3 days.
Old 9th September 2009, 07:44   #240
BHPian

Quote:
When are you doing your first service? Let me know how they solve it.

Question is what do we ask the ASC to check? Could it be that the handbrake is applying too much pressure on the brakes and hence they tend to get jammed easily?

Amogh, I have noticed that this sound comes only when vehicle is parked with handbrakes applied. I had parked the car earlier for upto 3 days without applying the handbrakes and after that when I drove it, it moved easily so I am guessing it's the handbrake at fault. Again, yesterday night I parked the car with handbrake engaged and when I drove it today morning, it moved smoothly. Maybe a change in it's setting's is required.

I also park my car with handbrake engaged. My car is parked for 12-13 hours. And I still get the noise. I won't engage the handbrake today and let you know if I get the sound.

About the rear parcel tray : MANY users have reported the same on Punto Users Group. So I guess that is something that is bound to happen to all of us !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks