Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2010, 02:28   #2566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Don't blame Ford, there are other cars with similar door locks!

It will. Just try it on your porch with engine running.

Its true. Inadvertently checked it today while driving with my friends and one of them by mistake pulled the lever and ended up opening the rear door at a traffic intersection. This seems like a serious design flaw. Especially while seating kids in the rear seat, this could be dangerous.

One point though, while this happened, I was almost in standstill traffic, does the door open when we are at higher speeds too? Maybe I shall try it myself on a free highway tomorrow and post it here.
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:48   #2567
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevilslair View Post

Its true. Inadvertently checked it today while driving with my friends and one of them by mistake pulled the lever and ended up opening the rear door at a traffic intersection. This seems like a serious design flaw. Especially while seating kids in the rear seat, this could be dangerous.

One point though, while this happened, I was almost in standstill traffic, does the door open when we are at higher speeds too? Maybe I shall try it myself on a free highway tomorrow and post it here.
It's not a design flaw. I actually find it neat and convenient.

However's when it comes to children we need to be careful. Please use the child lock in the rear doors.
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:46   #2568
BHPian

@ GTO: Which is the biggest flaw, overall, in the Figo?
Old 23rd May 2010, 14:12   #2569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
Ahh! Excellent Question Indeed. If i may...

THE BUMPERS
Old 23rd May 2010, 14:33   #2570
BHPian

From my prespective it's GC. I scrape more in the figo than the palio, santro ,fiesta, swift which are the other cars that i have used in the recent past quite extensively. I have been told that this will not harm the car in any way but somehow it irritates me .
Old 23rd May 2010, 16:31   #2571
BHPian

well this is not quite the biggest flaw, but surely an irritant:-

On using the USB cable to connect to a pen drive for songs, we can NOT browse through the file names or folder names to select the songs !!
Only folder numbers are displayed and we have to chose from that. The file name is displayed only when the number is chosen to be played.
Other figoians - do you have similar experiences?
Old 23rd May 2010, 17:28   #2572
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Commuter engines. A 1.6 L petrol / diesel would make the Figo perfect. As of today, it simply doesn't have the power to "work" the chassis. Ford shouldn't discontinue the commuter engines; they'd be nuts too (Market wants FE). However, a more powerful Figo can co-exist with the existing variants, and at a higher price point.
Old 23rd May 2010, 17:55   #2573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Commuter engines. A 1.6 L petrol / diesel would make the Figo perfect. As of today, it simply doesn't have the power to "work" the chassis. Ford shouldn't discontinue the commuter engines; they'd be nuts too (Market wants FE). However, a more powerful Figo can co-exist with the existing variants, and at a higher price point.
I think most manufacturers are scared to bring in higher powered engines thinking that they would give the car a bad image of being a performance oriented lower mileage cars and the "aam admi" who makes or breaks a brand would be reluctant to check it out. Something that happened with the Palio 1.6, SX4 1.6, Aveo 1.6, Fiesta 1.6 (while the 1.4 was around), Fusion 1.6, Accent 1.6.

Not that the 1.2 Engine on the Ford is doing wonders but i think quite a few buyers would have hesitated had it been a 1.6 engine.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:17   #2574
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I think most manufacturers are scared to bring in higher powered engines thinking that they would give the car a bad image of being a performance oriented lower mileage cars and the "aam admi" who makes or breaks a brand would be reluctant to check it out.
Absolutely. However, while the Figo's 1.4 TDCi is superb within the city (least turbolag of all diesel hatchbacks), the petrol is far from class-leading. Case in point : The 1.2 K series from Maruti; its better than the Figo's 1.2 petrol engine in every way.

Therefore, while I insist Ford should release a Figo 1.6 for the enthusiasts, their existing 1.2 isn't exactly a class-topper. The petrols under the hoods of Marutis & Hyundais are way better.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:37   #2575
BHPian

Bumpers!! The only reason why I did not go for it.
Old 24th May 2010, 13:02   #2576
BHPian

Quote:
Havent given much thought to the biggest, but as of now the most irritating one is the squeaky sound from the rear. A few other owners have also reported the same, no solution though as yet.
Old 24th May 2010, 13:33   #2577
BHPian

Right said gemithomas!

Figo 1.2 is not performance oriented due to its mere 70 odd BHP. However, had this engine been bit more fuel efficient (say 14+ kmpl under normal city driving conditions), it would have made up for its lack of peppiness for an average car buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I think most manufacturers are scared to bring in higher powered engines thinking that they would give the car a bad image of being a performance oriented lower mileage cars and the "aam admi" who makes or breaks a brand would be reluctant to check it out. Something that happened with the Palio 1.6, SX4 1.6, Aveo 1.6, Fiesta 1.6 (while the 1.4 was around), Fusion 1.6, Accent 1.6.

Not that the 1.2 Engine on the Ford is doing wonders but i think quite a few buyers would have hesitated had it been a 1.6 engine.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:08   #2578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
It's not a design flaw. I actually find it neat and convenient.

However's when it comes to children we need to be careful. Please use the child lock in the rear doors.
Hey,
This lock mechanism is present in many cars today, where one can open the locked door by pulling the door lever from inside. It is there in the Skodas, BMWs, Mercs, etc.
To be very honest, kids today are smarter than before, and I doubt that any car lock can hold them inside, be it the one in the Figo, or in a Maruti.
The best option when travelling with children is to put them in the back, buckled up or preferably in a baby seat, with the child lock on.
However, given how children love to sit in the front and many people are ignorant about their children's safety (I don't mean this in a derogatory way, or in a way aimed at anyone in particular. It is just a trend I have noticed when driving around), the best bet then is to ensure that there is someone is holding the child in their lap in the front, with the driver driving slowly and carefully. However, it is not recommended though it is something we are forced to do many times.

Quote:
I think the biggest flaw is the lackluster petrol engine, just as GTO mentioned. While many others feel this would lead to reduced sales, lets face the facts:
- The diesel is the one FE conscious buyers choose.
- The Petrol as it is doesn't give exceptional FE, so sales will suffer for that model in the long run once word gets out.
- Ford is more often than not an enthusiasts choice, and a 1.6 engine variant (as in one does not have to discontinue the 1.2L) would make an excellent top of the line sports variant. As it is, Ford already has the engine and is using it in the fiesta. Therefore, launching a new variant could actually reduce their costs, and give buyers something that is not there in the market anymore - A sporty and safe hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysan View Post
Havent given much thought to the biggest, but as of now the most irritating one is the squeaky sound from the rear. A few other owners have also reported the same, no solution though as yet.
Please look at threads started by Fiesta owners. Many of the initial owners have heard this squeaking sound from the back. However, IIRC, each car that has reported the sound has had the problem traced to a different source. For us, we needed to put a thermocol padding under the boot mat.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:20   #2579
BHPian

Finally got my white EXi Petrol last Saturday. Have been driving it a bit and making sure that I run in the car nicely before I rip it.

Here are my notes and questions.

The car is a good package keeping the price in mind. My dealer was short of mudflaps, so have to visit him again. But should not mudflaps
be part of the car instead of being part of the essential kit.

Looks
The car looks very decent. The height of the car is interesting. It slopes steeply down from the front to the rear and the height of the Figo
at the rear must be one of the lowest in India. Because of this the profile at the rear looks small from a distance and I think a spoiler here
would really give it better road presence. 7/10

Interiors
Space inside is enormous and the interiors are very comfortable for both front and rear. Nice cubby holes all around. The ac vents are much
better than the louvres in other cars. Was disappointed by the lights and wiper levers. They thin out at the end and would have preferred
them to be round and bulbous for better grip. The steering wheel too could have been slightly thicker for better grip. Steering may need a
leather/rexine wraparound for some drivers. The gear stick is good. The bells and whistles on the dashboard are nice but maybe cluttered.
Why did Ford go for that orange glow for its dash and audio console when lights are switched on? White or blue would have been classier.
The day/night-time lever for the rear view mirror does not inspire confidence. Signal levers on the left is good. It does not matter when both hands are
on the steering but greatly matters for drivers whose left hand is mostly on the gear stick. All in all, 7/10.

Handling
Steering is light maybe a bit too light but it is a new car. I think steering control will be better after the first 2k kms.
It is a decent city car but I think performance will be better on the highway. Second gear is sluggish while downshifting. The place where I live
has steep slopes and I notice this sluggishnesss both on the slopes and in traffic. It is a bit embarassing to wait till I rev up the rpm for the power
to come back. Otherwise response is good but the car will be slightly underpowered with the ac, audio on with three passengers. Will be prudent to
reserve further comments till the running in period is over but I am happy. 7/10

Mileage
I know that initial mileage is important but I am more concerned about mileage after first servicing. My car is lighter than the top most model by I think 50 kgs so I expect better mileage.

This is a good car to buy for what it costs and the petrol engine option would really work out well in the city for single drivers with one passenger and a kid.

Questions
1. Fuel tank capacity is approximately 45l. So when I get a top up done at a fuel station, would the tank have 45 ltrs the moment the fuel nozzle stops
automatically?
How many ltrs would Figo have when the fuel nozzle automatically stops while filling gas in auto mode?
2. Page 55 of the manual says that IFTEX System G needs to added with petrol. What is the purpose? Lubrication?
3. Dead pedal badly needed. Can Ford separately sell a rubber dead pedal which can be screwed onto the floor like in an Elantra. Are these
available in the market?
4. Will the red Engine Immobilizer icon flash constantly. How do I deactivate it in case if I am not using the car for 4 weeks?
5. Going in for sun film with green tint . Surprised that 3M and Llumar do not have these tints.

Documentation update
Ford needs to mention the Engine Immobilizer icon which flashes when the key is removed in its manual. There is only a description but the icon is missing.
Old 24th May 2010, 15:17   #2580
BHPian

I am planning to do underbody coating and teflon coating for my figo. Should i get it done in the ford place or any car accessory shop which does this? The mpl ford guys are quoting 3700 for underbody coating and 4200 for teflon coating. My first service is coming up. Planning to get these pieces of work also done with the first service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks