Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2010, 22:01   #391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
Enjoy this Youtube video to see what a structurally sound car can do for you in crunch times!
There is no doubt or arguments about the safety a structurally sound car has to offer - video or no video;-}

Personally, I will tend to have faith in the manufacturer claims (coupled with cross-checks based on my own common sense & research - I belong to the "trust but verify" kinds), than the ratings agency, particularly in the car industry. The mfgrs are not run of the mill kind variety (they have invested huge pile of cash in setting up plants) and have huge stakes at play.

Guess what happened to people who trusted the zillion star ratings given to Enron, or AIG, or Satyam, or Lehman Brothers, or Bears & Stearns,or.....

Also, experts can correct me if I am wrong, if a vehicle is based on the same platform and manufactured in same plant (e.g. take Nano), I am not sure if compromising on the structurual aspects will give any significant economic/cost cut benefits to the mfgr, irrespective of if it is made for domestic consumption or export to certain markets.

Please note that NCAP rating takes into account number of airbags etc as well, absence of which is not exactly a structural compromise, IMO, but safetywise,yes. Here in our country, however majority of people will like to have steering mounted controls and chrome than airbags Hence, to lower the cost, mfgr will opt out of airbags and still sell here but not abroad since the law does not allow it.
Old 19th February 2010, 23:14   #392
BHPian

Not sure if it has been reported - Figo to be available in showrooms coming Monday (22nd Feb) onwards
Old 20th February 2010, 00:21   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Cars dispatched to the dealers. Will be on display from Feb 25th. Test Drives will take a while.

TVC, Paper Commercials will start at the same time. It's going to be, "Smart and Smarter Figo"

Figo might be associated with the IPL. Watch out for the Figo at theatres showing the weekend IPL matches.

Expect extremely competitive pricing. Employees are not given a special pricing so I bet the introductory pricing will give sleepless nights to the Chevy Beat.

The best Ford launch EVER! Watch out
Old 20th February 2010, 00:36   #394
BHPian

Will be there at the showroom when the door opens on 25th to check out the car . But somehow i don't see Ford matching the pricing of the BEAT. Lets wait and see.
Old 20th February 2010, 00:40   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
Will be there at the showroom when the door opens on 25th to check out the car . But somehow i don't see Ford matching the pricing of the BEAT. Lets wait and see.
It's not about matching the price of the Beat. Just a small TD in a Beat and Figo should let ppl know that Beat IS a small car and the Figo is a Fiesta without the Boot. I have seen the car drive on the road and this is what I feel.
Old 20th February 2010, 08:42   #396
BANNED

I have seen the figo at the ford plant inside and out, and you cant really compare it with the beat, its a much more spacious car, much more than a swift and a little more or same as the punto. Its a B+ hatchback and not a B segment hatchback.

Prices are going to start at 3.5 lakhs for the base petrol and go up till 5-5.5 lakhs for the top end diesel (ex-showroom).

I personally think that the 1.4 TDCi diesel will be quite a stunner in this car and will tend to give more response and power than the fiesta because of the weight advantage.
Old 20th February 2010, 14:00   #397
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Got this as an SMS From the nearest Ford dealer:

New FORD FIGO (Ford's new small car), launching with Fiesta engine, approximately mileage of 22 to 25, at a price of approximately 4.65!

And the usual contact info!
Old 20th February 2010, 17:44   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
It's not about matching the price of the Beat. Just a small TD in a Beat and Figo should let ppl know that Beat IS a small car and the Figo is a Fiesta without the Boot. I have seen the car drive on the road and this is what I feel.
Beat focuses on styling & ride.
Figo on space and handling.
Pertol engines on both these cars are a disappointment.

Beat will succeed due to its aggressive pricing.
Figo if priced at 3.5 (base model) will definitely sell.

I have huge expectations for the diesel. Since not much competition is there.
Old 20th February 2010, 18:10   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I have seen the figo at the ford plant inside and out, and you cant really compare it with the beat, its a much more spacious car, much more than a swift and a little more or same as the punto. Its a B+ hatchback and not a B segment hatchback.

Prices are going to start at 3.5 lakhs for the base petrol and go up till 5-5.5 lakhs for the top end diesel (ex-showroom).

Well that is the point i was getting at. I was not saying it is a competitor for the BEAT as it is definitely a bigger car than the BEAT . So the price starting at 3.5 (which is almost the same as the BEAT) is not very likely to be true. If in fact they can match the BEAT price of around 3.5 , FORD has a real winner in its hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Got this as an SMS From the nearest Ford dealer:

New FORD FIGO (Ford's new small car), launching with Fiesta engine, approximately mileage of 22 to 25, at a price of approximately 4.65!

And the usual contact info!
22-25 mileage @ 4.65 with Fiesta engine - I think they are talking about the diesel here and not the petrol !
Old 20th February 2010, 18:49   #400
BANNED

Quote:
Well that is the point i was getting at. I was not saying it is a competitor for the BEAT as it is definitely a bigger car than the BEAT . So the price starting at 3.5 (which is almost the same as the BEAT) is not very likely to be true. If in fact they can match the BEAT price of around 3.5 , FORD has a real winner in its hands.

22-25 mileage @ 4.65 with Fiesta engine - I think they are talking about the diesel here and not the petrol !
It will match the beat price, this is so because ford has compromised a little bit on the cosmetic look of the car and as you know that this is the same fiesta platform, so we guys at ford dont need to recover excess dough which a manufacture puts in when they launch a car based on a new platform. Thus lower costs are possible due to economies of scale.

Yes, Ford refers to the diesel mileage here. I can assure you that it will give above 20 kmpl, This is so because my fusion 1.4 TDCi which is like much heavier than the figo gives a mileage of about 18 kmpl in the city.

I assure you that this will be the best driver's hatch in the country and also quite spacious. and i am not being biased. Let the test drives begin and then everyone will see.
Old 20th February 2010, 23:20   #401
BHPian

I was looking at the BEAT and i like everything about it especially the looks and the interior . The only thing i did not like was that it was little cramped inside and also the driving position is a bit too low .
If ford prices this as expected , then it is definitely a huge bargain over BEAT in terms of comfort and space.

Btw the POLO prices have been scooped by SIDINDICA . So VW has not waited for the BUDGET . Expecting to get confirmed prices for the FIGO soon.

Last edited by -NUT-case : 20th February 2010 at 23:22.
Old 21st February 2010, 19:55   #402
BHPian

Today I got an opportunity to see the Figo 1.2 Petrol. Space is good for a hatch and the road visibility was also good.

Ford has copied one design feature from Palio Multijet, The 'Tornado' effect of radiator fan.

I also feel the front bumper and radiator grill are too close ( May be in a move to restrict the length below 3.8 m). A small impact at the front may require radiator work too.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-figo-front.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-figo-front2.jpg  

Old 21st February 2010, 20:22   #403
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
It is indeed the diesel! The petrol engine that Figo sports is not available in Fiesta!
Old 22nd February 2010, 00:12   #404
Team-BHP Support

The Figo is on display at the Metro Ford Palace cross showroom in Bangalore.
Old 22nd February 2010, 00:34   #405
BHPian

@Vid - Wow! How does one reach this showroom from M.G.Road. Directions please?

Most Viewed