Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:38   #271
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant

Well by city driving we mean a lot of driving in low gear and high rpm. In that case its better to change at 7500, but unless you go through traffic jams daily, no need to spend extra.
As a 2.2 customer you are very well aware of "expenses" after warranty gets over. No need to add to the moolah
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2011, 15:16   #272
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

If one is driving in cities be in Bombay or Delhi or Bangalore or the like one is advised to change oil at 7500 intervals. Now lets say one has a bit of free road as well in ones daily routine and that part is not stressed driving than one could take it up from 7500 to say 10-11K but definately if highway driving is not the main component of the drive the one needs to change the oil much earlier than 15k kms. The manual also mentions this.

Yes ones driving pattern / style also has a major impact on this but still for indian conditions 15k would be risky for the long term life of the engine even if one has a 4 year warranty.
Old 23rd February 2011, 15:35   #273
BHPian

Thanks everyone for pouring in your thoughts. Actually, you 3 have answered the question that I forgot to ask too ! When to change the oil ?

SA advised me for 10K [or 1 year] oil replacement since 15K is too long a time and looks like all 3 are echoing the same considering the Bangalore's current traffic situation.

Another thing - My car is already filled with Synthetic oil. So, I had to pay them the extra now. Thats OK. I am under the AMC, so, not paying for other parts like filter, etc ... So, this is coming up in place of those

Will keep you posted on the post-service feel by tomorrow or a day after.

Thanks again everyone.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2011, 15:26   #274
BHPian

The car was ready last evening, but I thought, I will take it up in the morning as I wanted do a good inspection. Also, the service folks will be fresh in listening and doing any sort of last minute quick things.
  • Went there by 10:30 and looked at my Safari. It was damn good, well cleaned [no extra grease on the latches as far as I checked up].
  • As expected, there were 1 or 2 things cropped up, I pointed them and nicely done in quick time [<30 mins].
  • Attended to ALL but 1 complaint [a small dent on the fender curve, they tried with a vacuum, but didnt get out in full]. I avoided a tinkering job for that purpose for now.
  • As advised by the SA for the rear door rattling problem, I went for GRANDE style latch in place of existing one. The paint was gone while they did a chip-out. I pointed that out and they finished it up with a touch up.
  • After all these, I paid up the bill and took out the vehicle and it was super silk smooth. I just enjoyed a long 25+ KM of drive from CML service center [Hosur rd to my home in Old Madras Road]. May be, its just the feel of not having my safari next to me for a day !
Overall, CML service folks have done a very satisfying job to me. Especially, the service manager, Prem was so helpful [yes, he is also Prem].

All the photos are shot from my balcony and will see if I can take any photo shoot in a nice place since its been too a long time for my beast to be in front of my cam !

Prem.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-p1040915.jpg  

Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-p1040916.jpg  

Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-p1040917.jpg  

Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-p1040919.jpg  

Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-p1040921.jpg  

Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-p1040922.jpg  

Last edited by kaviprem : 24th February 2011 at 15:43. Reason: Few recent images
Old 1st June 2011, 07:35   #275
BHPian

After a while, I had been with my safari for about 1000 KM during my Chennai trip last week.
When we started from Bangalore, it fully loaded - meaning, really fully loaded - 6 Adults and 2 6-year old kids.
Occupancy layout - 5 adults in 5 seats and 1 adult and 2 kids in the rear, seats folded and all 3 were playing, sleeping comfortably for the entire travel

Roof top - 3 US check in bags, around 75 KG in total tied to the roof rail [no luggage carrier]. It came till Chennai safe.

Route - [For those who travel b/w Chennai and Bangalore] I took the Chithoor route and its pretty decent now and its good for day time travel. I stay in OLD MADRAS ROAD [near TIN Factory]. So, this route proves to me better than the HOSUR road especially if I start after 7:00 AM from home.

Good/Positives
Extremely comfortable drive for all the passengers. None complained about anything.
I somehow feel when the safari is fully loaded like this, it pulls better than its empty or just with 1 or 2 people on board.
Vehicle is extremely stable in high speeds with the full load.
Top speed reached - 120 KMPH, very stable and vehicle in control.
In Chithoor route to Chennai, there are a couple of speed breakers and Safari just swallows them pretty neat.

Niggles [Nothing new]
Mid row Blower [on top] started water dripping after about 6 hours of AC & Blower. I am sure HappyWheels and few other will have immediate solution to this
Tail gate [I think so] and/or Seat rattling sound. Need to check them up.

Incidents
Rear left tyre got punctured before I started off the trip. So, had to replace it with the spare one, get it fixed and again putting it in its place [the new spare came to its original place within 20 KM drive]. In this procedure, we had to remove the spare wheel cover. I like Safari without the wheel cover in the rear. Now, my daughter too likes it very much [saying its super cool and asking me to leave it as-is]. For now, I am running with the wheels open in the tail gate.
The place where I stayed in Chennai has a very narrow street parking and had a scratch in front bumper [passenger side] while taking in and out. Thats OK for me since I did it myself instead of some two-wheelers drawing lines with their foot-stand.

Mileage - 13 KMPL in highway.
One thing I noticed is that I used to get the same mileage even while I take it to 130/140 KMPH in highways. So, having the limit of 120 KMPH doesnt make sense in mileage context. But, safety - YES. No questions.

I will put some recent photos in a day or 2, especially with the bare wheel in the rear

Prem.

Last edited by kaviprem : 1st June 2011 at 07:39. Reason: Formatting
Old 17th September 2011, 13:59   #276
BHPian

Guys, Had a small shocking braking situation today.
Speed was just about 40 KMPH, but, the traffic ahead slowed down a bit and it was purely my mistake to notice the slow down little late [may be a second or 2 late]. Next thing I know, I just slammed the brake in my VX. For a foot or 2, tyre screeched, then the ABS activated and felt and heard the pulsating sound from the front tyres. Then, the vehicle came to a sudden stop.
I am glad that ABS is useful and helped in not hitting the GETZ ahead of me.

In another recent thread about ABS [where Captiva turned turtle], there was a mention about the feel while ABS is activated. Wow ! I had it today and I now know how I have to react when a situation happens in an highway at high speed. I would say a peaceful learning @ 40 KMPH instead of learning hard @ 100+ KMPH !

Prem.
Old 17th September 2011, 14:20   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Guys, Had a small shocking braking situation today.
Next thing I know, I just slammed the brake in my VX. For a foot or 2, tyre screeched, then the ABS activated and felt and heard the pulsating sound from the front tyres. Then, the vehicle came to a sudden stop.
I am glad that ABS is useful and helped in not hitting the GETZ ahead of me.
I am sorry, but these are not signs of ABS working perfectly. First of all it should not have screeched. If screeched then your tyres got locked and it is also reason for sudden stop.

ABS is antilock braking system and it does not improve braking but just it avoids tyres to get locked and steer the car in either direction.
Old 17th September 2011, 16:10   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I am sorry, but these are not signs of ABS working perfectly. First of all it should not have screeched. If screeched then your tyres got locked and it is also reason for sudden stop.

ABS is antilock braking system and it does not improve braking but just it avoids tyres to get locked and steer the car in either direction.
No buddy. I dont agree with you fully. ABS does improve braking. When I say pulsing noice, I know its ABS. Rest about anti locking, yes, you are right.
Old 17th September 2011, 20:05   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In that case my Safari's ABS too is not working, it does screech for an instant before the vehicle actually stops and I have had numerous incidents of panic braking, so the extra money we paid for ABS is hogwash?
Old 17th September 2011, 20:13   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
In that case my Safari's ABS too is not working, it does screech for an instant before the vehicle actually stops and I have had numerous incidents of panic braking, so the extra money we paid for ABS is hogwash?
Well, I am not saying extra money is hogwash, you are taking it otherwise. I am just suspecting whether ABS is working as per its specification or not. My only question was if ABS is there, screeching noise shouldn't have come.

Also, there is major misconception that ABS improves braking. Well, it is not actually. It is discussed in ABS thread to the death also this is available in many ABS related websites.
Old 17th September 2011, 20:35   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I am not saying extra money is hogwash, you are taking it otherwise. I am just suspecting whether ABS is working as per its specification or not. My only question was if ABS is there, screeching noise shouldn't have come.

Also, there is major misconception that ABS improves braking. Well, it is not actually. It is discussed in ABS thread to the death also this is available in many ABS related websites.
Anuj, I am not saying that what you are saying is wrong, I'm doubting the functionality of the ABS in my car, technically, I'm clueless as how it works or it is supposed to work, but I can say for sure that there has always been a momentary squeal of the tyres before the vehicle stops, so if you are sure that there has to be no squeal, then I am saying that maybe I've been taken for a ride.
Old 23rd September 2011, 22:41   #282
BHPian

Had a day trip to Elagiri hills [near Jolarepet/Vaniambadi] with my team mates. It was all great ride and fun, not because it was not with the family, but, it was a long time since taken Safari for such a ride.
Attached a couple of pics of it, tried all sort of old age touches. So, may not be to everyone's taste !
Will have a small write-up in a day or 2 about the up-hill / down-hill.
Overall - Once again, a super successful trip with the beast and all the others in the team enjoyed it

Prem.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-p1050982.jpg  

Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-p1050985.jpg  

Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-p1050989.jpg  

kaviprem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 06:31   #283
Senior - BHPian

Nice one kavi. Yes, Line starts from the point where Safari is parked. (Famous Amitabh Bachchan dialogue). All other should follow.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 21:52   #284
Senior - BHPian

You seem to have had some very minor skirmishes to the bumper ( the left side ? )
Old 19th January 2012, 23:50   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Had a day trip to Elagiri hills [near Jolarepet/Vaniambadi] with my team mates. It was all great ride and fun, not because it was not with the family, but, it was a long time since taken Safari for such a ride.
Attached a couple of pics of it, tried all sort of old age touches. So, may not be to everyone's taste !
Will have a small write-up in a day or 2 about the up-hill / down-hill.
Overall - Once again, a super successful trip with the beast and all the others in the team enjoyed it

Prem.
Nice Pics Prem. Need a help from you. Could you kindly post a picture of the 4X4 selector lever / knob of the safari. I searched most threads but could not find one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks