Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2010, 21:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Ride" 2010 Tata Safari Lx VTT - Cycus Grey

There was no plan for me to buy Safari this year (2010). I had decided to wait till 2011 and go for higher end (GX - in Safari).

But one fine day while sipping tea in morning, I saw ad of Ford Fiesta Limited Edition. I checked with wife and she was also in the mood of change with anything (Not very particular about Safari but Sedan). Since, Ford Fiesta is Sedan she never thought twice and said lets go in the evening and check it out. I went to Metro Ford at St. Marks Road checked Limited Edition and asked Sales Manager for offer. He said no offer, not even corporate offer. I immediately came out of showroom disgusted.

Next day after office hours I said lets go and check it out Manza QJet in nearby Tata Showroom KHT Motors. OnRoad price of Fiesta and high end Manza is same almost. I took test drive but it did not kick me, wife and my 5 year old son. After completing test drive my son ran into showroom near Safari. There was a Black color LX there. My son came out and pulled me to check Safari (My son knew my weakness). I went ahead and checked Safari LX. I was impressed with Beige Interior, next indicators on ORVM and then overall appeal. This was the final car in my mind for many years.

I was driving well maintained 2003 model 800 AC. I went side and discussed with wife about near 1 lakh difference in High End Manza and Safari LX. We came out of showroom. Two days I gave thought over it. Whether to go for current LX or wait for next year and go for GX version with ABS. Third day (10th September, 2010) I went ahead and booked Cycus Grey LX after negotiation and finalization of price by paying 25000 Rupees. Initially, I wanted Mountain Green but settled with Cycus Grey color. Delivery date promised on 22nd September.

Applied for finance and it was approved by two banks. I negotiated with one bank and they brought down interest rate, telling them I have approved loan from other bank too (I learnt this is nice way to bargain for interest rate for loan). They brought down rate further 0.25%.

19th September car arrived in yard. But it was too far from my place for doing PDI. I left it to destiny and asked them to go ahead for delivery on 22nd. On 20th there got info by my loan advisor that one of the bank officer creating some problem approving reduced interest rate loan for Safari. But he said, Do not worry Saar, I will make it clear.

Disbursement happened 1 day late, so KHT Motors informed me there will be one day late in delivery i.e. 23rd. I told them not beyond 23rd of September. On 22nd they brought car at service station for PDI and my sales person Satya informed that car has arrived. I went around 7 PM and checked the car. It was all OK for me.

On 23rd I came early from office and reached KHT around 4:30 PM. After 15 minutes car arrived at showroom. After completing formalities in next 30 minutes, sales manager handed over key to me. They gave me patient demo too. During whole process KHT Motors salespersons, managers were very helpful and humble. There was small problem happened while delivery, it was settled amicably(Not worth to mention).

My son was very exited and asking me same question several times "Are you sure, we will not leave Safari this time at showroom?". Earlier, I took test drive twice of Safari and came back in our old 800. Both the time he was very sad.

After taking delivery we went to temple at AECS layout, did comprehensive puja and then went to some restaurant for dinner.

Now, there is enough text. Lets picture do the talking. Next, I will write What I like in LX and What I not (Yes in LX perspective only)

Me with Safari.
The Ride" 2010 Tata Safari Lx VTT - Cycus Grey-img_0250-medium.jpg

With humble sales person Satya
The Ride" 2010 Tata Safari Lx VTT - Cycus Grey-img_0251-medium.jpg

My son with Safari
The Ride" 2010 Tata Safari Lx VTT - Cycus Grey-img_0258-medium.jpg

Safari standing tall
The Ride" 2010 Tata Safari Lx VTT - Cycus Grey-img_0257-medium.jpg
anujmishra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2010, 21:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations on the Safari Anuj!!
Looks very nice. Thanks for sharing those wonderful pics.
Please do share your reasons/thoughts behind choosing LX.
How i wish Tata had offered 4X4 option on LX too. Atleast, they start offering 4X4 option from EX, better than M&M guys who force customers to choose the top-end variant.
Cheers once again.
Deepak
Old 29th September 2010, 22:28   #3
BHPian

Anuj - Congratulations and Cycus Grey sure is a good colour and its "raining" in TBHP offlate, starting me, may be
If KHT Motors is nearby, we should meet up some day/time. I work near in the same area. Lets see.

Have a safe motoring
Prem.
Old 29th September 2010, 22:38   #4
BHPian

Congratulations Anuj,

Looking forward to hearing your reasons/thoughts behind choosing LX. And also your intial ownership report.

I want to buy one of these babies in the future.

cheers
Old 29th September 2010, 22:43   #5
BHPian

Congrats dude. Looks neat

What was the OTR price?. How about your initial driving experience?. Looking forward for a detailed review.
Old 29th September 2010, 22:44   #6
BANNED

Hey congrats Anuj. I too have gone crazy of Safari, again! Whats the on road price of LX?
Old 29th September 2010, 22:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Many congratulations on the Safari Anuj!!
Looks very nice. Thanks for sharing those wonderful pics.
Please do share your reasons/thoughts behind choosing LX.
How i wish Tata had offered 4X4 option on LX too. Atleast, they start offering 4X4 option from EX, better than M&M guys who force customers to choose the top-end variant.
Cheers once again.
Deepak
Thanks starter, In my thought there was only one car Safari. Other cars I was just checking. I wanted to go for atleast GX but to some deficiency in Vitamin M I settled for LX. My 800 was 7 year old and I was looking for change. But waiting for one more year was unbearable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Anuj - Congratulations and Cycus Grey sure is a good colour and its "raining" in TBHP offlate, starting me, may be
If KHT Motors is nearby, we should meet up some day/time. I work near in the same area. Lets see.

Have a safe motoring
Prem.
Thanks kaviprem. I stay in Whitefield only. We can fix up and meet any convenient day. Last Saturday we had Safari meet near BIAL.

I see one more Cycus Grey Safari in our area (MK Retail Road). I think it belongs to one more BHPian only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Hey congrats Anuj. I too have gone crazy of Safari, again! Whats the on road price of LX?
Quoter price at KHT including Extended Warranty and AMC was 9,29,800.00 Rupees.
I got 15K discount and opted insurance outside (which again saved me 5000 Rupees). Apart from that I got basic accessories (Mats, Sunfilm) from KHT.

Last edited by anujmishra : 29th September 2010 at 22:48.
Old 29th September 2010, 23:07   #8
BHPian

Congrats on the Safari! I too had a done a test drive of the Safari from KHT a while back, but thats a story for some other day.
Old 29th September 2010, 23:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Like, dislike, problem and initial driving

What I like in Safari LX
  • Road Presence
  • Beige Interiors
  • Indicator on ORVM
  • Tons of Space
  • Confortable long rides
  • High seating position
  • Leather wrapped gear knob
  • Cabin lights for all areas

What I don't like
  • Flimsy switches and controls. (Even my 800 has good quality switches)
  • No Keyless entry and immobilizer option in LX
  • Cheap and weak key
  • Big turning radius

Problems or issues noticed
  • Steering is tilted towards right
  • Air vent selector is jam
  • Gear knob is not straight
  • Headlights are not levelled
  • On 26th september faced some momentarily loss of power in 2nd and 3rd gear. After that problem disappeared
  • Spongy brake paddle

Above issue I will report during first service. Till now I have done only 350 Kms on ODO(73 Kms on ODO was present during delivery).
Apart from above driving of Safari is awesome. I feel it very comfortable for city driving also. It crosses over bad roads and potholes without much affecting passengers inside. AC is good enough for small family like us.

I have done ICE setup at EVO. I will update in next post about my ICE setup and other accessories. I am getting cladding painted in Arctic Silver color. I will give for painting on 4th September. In two days they will complete the job.

Last edited by anujmishra : 29th September 2010 at 23:19.
Old 30th September 2010, 07:32   #10
BHPian

Congratulations Anuj. A very wise choice. Safari is looking good in this colour. Wish you many happy and safe miles.
Old 30th September 2010, 07:50   #11
BANNED

The price being advertised on TVs is like 7.75L, right? Is that a different version?
Old 30th September 2010, 08:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Anju,

A big Congratulations for the Safari.

The journey which started with a Fiesta ended in a Safari. I'm sure you will take good care of the monster. She sure does have a road presence. Even when I am driving my Fiesta I really take some time to admire the passing Safari's.

BTW what did it cost you on the road. Any mods planned? Could not get what you meant by Cheap key.

All the best. Enjoy mile crunching and drive safely.
Old 30th September 2010, 08:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Anuj, put this beast to some good rough use
Old 30th September 2010, 09:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Congratulations Anuj. A very wise choice. Safari is looking good in this colour. Wish you many happy and safe miles.
Thanks HappyRoadie for you wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
The price being advertised on TVs is like 7.75L, right? Is that a different version?
Advertised price is Ex-Showroom price. In bangalore actually Ex-showroom price is even lower 7.67L. Then there is road tax of 1.18L, 23K Insurance, 5K Registration charges, 7K Extended warranty, 3.8K AMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Anju,

A big Congratulations for the Safari.

The journey which started with a Fiesta ended in a Safari. I'm sure you will take good care of the monster. She sure does have a road presence. Even when I am driving my Fiesta I really take some time to admire the passing Safari's.

BTW what did it cost you on the road. Any mods planned? Could not get what you meant by Cheap key.

All the best. Enjoy mile crunching and drive safely.
My name is Anuj

I like Fiesta very much. This was the car even I was contemplating buying second hand. But somehow attitude of Metro Ford salesperson did not suit me. I went to Metro Ford with my cheque book for booking. I have driven friend's Fiesta as well as Safari. Safari was my ultimate choice but initially I was not inclined towards LX model.

There is no mods planned. I believe keeping car stock. Few of the essential accessories planned.

If you see Safari key and compare with your Fiesta you will come to know. Even Maruti 800 Key is better than Safari key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Congrats Anuj, put this beast to some good rough use
There is ~4K Kms road trip planned in October. This depends upon how the situation will stand post Ayodhya verdict. I wanted a car in which I can go long long drive to each and every part of India.

I am enjoying every bit of possession of Safari.

Last edited by anujmishra : 30th September 2010 at 09:15.
Old 30th September 2010, 09:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Anuj on your purchase, have many happy miles of comfort on your new Safari. Most of your little complaints will be rectified during your first service.

Quote:
I will give for painting on 4th September. In two days they will complete the job.
That's a typo I'm sure.

Most Viewed