Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:14   #121
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!

Just visited a showroom near my home and took a good long look at the Yeti
the chap there says all the super deals are over - they were knocking off 1.5 lacs approx on the Ambiente version till last month.
Now its back to square one.
Elegance version no discounts except some sort of 35 grand corporate discount.
then there may be a saving on the Insurance premium if I carry over my no claim bonus.
But there is the 72grand Skoda Shield - 4 years 100,000 km warranty to be considered. All in all the Elegance comes to 21.05 lacs on road bangalore. Say one knocks off 35 grand discount plus a saving of another 25000 on insurance, the price will still hit 20.65 lacs on road.
One has to pay up around 7.5 lacs down payment and the rest of it via some sort of loan. Of course if one wants one can pay more as down payment.
The EMI comes to about 28 grand per month over 5 years on reducing balance.
The Yeti is beautifully finished and full of lovely stuff - there is no doubt about it.
The more i see of it the more I like it. But I am wrestling with the huge price and the generally compact/ slightly small space. Somehow thats what's keeping me hanging about.
Looks like both versions the Ambiente and Elegance have full time 4WD with the Haldex clutch. But only the Elegance comes with Hill Descent Control and Off Road mode etc. The effective difference in price between the two versions is 1.5 odd lacs. But that 1.5 is worth paying, for the top end version in my mind.
Whatever it is, this is a very desirable vehicle indeed, but somehow I cannot make up my mind.
I ve told the chap to keep in touch and maybe a few months down the line I will actually go back. Having said this I told him that I wouldnt mind buying a 2011 production vehicle in 2012 if he can knock something extra off on the price.
But in these days of ever rising interest rates etc, I am still in 2 minds whether to take a loan and buy this car.
thats where Im leaving it for the moment.
Shall hang in there for a bit and see what more news comes through about the Koleos, Duster, Korando C, Rexton etc and their likely pricing and then maybe take it forward.
Else I shall simply pay up and buy a nice used Tucson (if I can find a well kept one) which I can happily keep and use properly for another 3 -4 years.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:03   #122
BHPian

@ Shankar. My gut feeling says that it might be a good idea to wait for a few months. They wouldn't be able to sell too many Yeti's at this price point. The new variants will be introduced at lower prices. A variant with DSG could also set its foot on Indian soil.

It is only a matter of time when used Yeti's begin to appear in the market.

A used Yeti should have much more life and zest remaining than say a used Tucson. Plus it is so much more fun to drive. I've clocked over 17,000 km in seven months, and the car is as spirited as, when I rolled it out of the show-room.

I also feel that Yeti will lose its value rather rapidly - thanks to the reputation that Skoda has for its A.S.S. A used Yeti should be a very good VFM.

I'd say just wait for some time.
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:42   #123
Senior - BHPian

@ shankar.balan - as per reports, there might be a cheaper 4X2 Yeti with a smaller capacity diesel on the way. That would definitely make the Yeti an attractive proposition. Might be worth a wait. There has been some talk of the DSG gearbox too, but most likely on the upper variants.
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:59   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Shankar,
That's really bad news that the offers have been withdrawn. They were quite attractive offers and would have attracted a lot of customers and offered a better value proposition for the Yeti. But you can be assured that the offers may continue in some form or the other, as even in July, the sales of the Yeti have not been too high. (Jul 2011 sales data thread).
Skoda will definitely launch 2 more variants of the Yeti : a 1.6 TDI 4x2 version and also probably a 1.8 TSI 4x2 version. The timelines I am hearing keep on shifting and now seem likely in September.
The Yeti may not depreciate too fast, as Skoda's diesel cars do not depreciate too much and hold their value inspite their bad A.S.S - if you search for old Octavias and Lauras you will find that they are still selling at a high price. The resale values are definitely lower than Toyota / Honda/ Maruti, but better than other manufacturers.

Last edited by Behemoth : 3rd August 2011 at 10:00. Reason: Slight correction
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:02   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Yeti may not depreciate too fast, as Skoda's diesel cars do not depreciate too much and hold their value inspite their bad A.S.S - if you search for old Octavias and Lauras you will find that they are still selling at a high price. The resale values are definitely lower than Toyota / Honda/ Maruti, but better than other manufacturers.
That is what I feared.
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:14   #126
BANNED

Apart from the interior space which is at a premium, the Yeti has everything going for it.

Skoda ASC tales have become a rarity now and can be ignored pretty confidently.

However, I somehow cannot digest paying that kind of money for vehicle which cannot seat 5 in spacious comfort since that is one of my basic requirements.

I must admit though, that whenever I see a Yeti on the roads, I m impressed by its F&F, packaging and chic looks.

@Shankar: Which dealer in Blore did you call? I called a couple here at Delhi and they promised me a discount of around 2 lacs if my total loan was around 50% of the cost and I booked a vehicle immediately.
Old 8th August 2011, 06:35   #127
BANNED

as I ve said earlier i m clear that I want the top end. no other variant of the Yeti interests me even. I absolutely want 4wd etc.
i called Tafe Access and they ve promised to keep in touch. even I dont mind putting in 50% and taking the rest on loan.
I dont think there is any problem with the Skoda After Sales anymore. The man said it typically will cost around 10-12 grand for maintenance per annum including oil changes etc. And one needs to service it only once a year. Apparently they deliver it back within 24 hours for routine service and they offer the vital pickup and drop service too. For anything out of the ordinary of course it may take more time.
As of now I spend atleast 18000 on my Scorpio's annual maintenance so Im quite prepared for such spends for a far better vehicle which the Yeti certainly is. Even servicing my Scorpio typically takes 48 hours so I dont mind really.

I am now resigned to waiting for 6-12 months from now before actually upgrading.

Vehicles under consideration would be;

New:
1. Yeti top end
2. Duster top end
3. Koleos (if not too expensive)
4. Korando C (if priced correctly)

Used: (Would prefer to pay in full and buy any of these - no loans for used cars in my book!)
1. Tucson
2. X Trail

frankly no other vehicle as of now fits into my personal consideration set

lets see

Last edited by shankar.balan : 8th August 2011 at 06:37.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 08:41   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
as I ve said earlier i m clear that I want the top end. no other variant of the Yeti interests me even. I absolutely want 4wd etc.
i called Tafe Access and they ve promised to keep in touch. even I dont mind putting in 50% and taking the rest on loan.
I dont think there is any problem with the Skoda After Sales anymore. The man said it typically will cost around 10-12 grand for maintenance per annum including oil changes etc. And one needs to service it only once a year. Apparently they deliver it back within 24 hours for routine service and they offer the vital pickup and drop service too. For anything out of the ordinary of course it may take more time.
As of now I spend atleast 18000 on my Scorpio's annual maintenance so Im quite prepared for such spends for a far better vehicle which the Yeti certainly is. Even servicing my Scorpio typically takes 48 hours so I dont mind really.
I agree with you. The top variant is to go for. The servicing for my Yeti took about 8 hours. And I thought it was excessive. The cost of service should not be more than Rs 8,000 (including the oil change). There is no other cost in between. That's the cost of maintenance - at least initially. I'd also strongly recommend taking Skoda Shield together with no depreciation insurance (called Skoda Assure) - for added peace of mind.
Old 8th August 2011, 10:45   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Pramod,
I am still trying to find a solution on my Yeti for the low idle speed.. My Yeti idles around 800 rpm (+/-25). Even with the AC on and the engine warm, it still idles at the same speed, which logically to me does not make sense as the load on the engine is much higher due to the AC. There are two possible solutions to address this : 1) Either permanently increase the Idling RPM to a high value so that the Idling engine is able to take the load - an idling rpm of 900 will do the trick or 2) to code for an increase in RPM when the AC compressor is on

I believe both options are possible in the Yeti thru VAG-COM. The idling RPM is controlled by Channel 2, and changing the value of the setting can increase the Idling RPM. (I am attaching a support document from Ross-Tech , though I am not sure whether it is the latest one)
Option 2: This adapation is available in the HVAC Channel 08, where there is an option to increase engine speed when AC compressor is on. I don't have a snapshot of this.
Since you the most experienced member with a Yeti and also have access to a VCDS, need your help. Could you see the current settings in your Yeti and check whether these changes are possible..! It could help resolve the stalling issue that many of us face. I find it more in the effect of tripping the AC compressor in 2nd gear when the rpms fall low.

Thanks a ton!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ross-Tech_ VAG-COM_ TDI VAG-COM Info.pdf (924.8 KB, 2479 views)
Old 8th August 2011, 11:02   #130
Team-BHP Support

I think its probably better if you try and get used to the car, rather than messing around with idle speeds etc.
Old 8th August 2011, 12:01   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think its probably better if you try and get used to the car, rather than messing around with idle speeds etc.
Hi Akshay,

Appreciate your feedback, but Pramod is already deep into it and has done many customizations to his Yeti, well beyond what the Service guys can / are willing to do. In Europe, VAG customizations and remaps are a fairly common thing and the cars can be tweaked to a great extent! I am hoping that enthusiasts in India will also reach the level and start modding their cars to tune them to improve performance.

(If you also have any experience with VAG-COM, would be great if could share. Thanks!)

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 8th August 2011, 12:12   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Akshay,

Appreciate your feedback, but Pramod is already deep into it and has done many customizations to his Yeti, well beyond what the Service guys can / are willing to do. In Europe, VAG customizations and remaps are a fairly common thing and the cars can be tweaked to a great extent! I am hoping that enthusiasts in India will also reach the level and start modding their cars to tune them to improve performance.

(If you also have any experience with VAG-COM, would be great if could share. Thanks!)

Regards,
Behemoth
Hi, I'm quite aware of what people are up to with VAG-COM. But I don't think you can adjust any engine parameters with it. Remaps again cannot be done with the simple VAG-COM software, which is used to add small features.

A remap too will generally not alter the idle speed, but it will increase the low down torque, but that still wouldn't change how your clutch behaves. All the other Yeti owners here seem to have gotten used to it, maybe its just a matter of time before you do too.
Old 8th August 2011, 20:55   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Akshay,
The idle speed adjustment I am referring to is possible with Vag com. You can refer the attachment which I had also shared. Also being an automobile engineer myself (though not in the field any more)I can confirm it is certainly possible in any car. You just need the right cables, software and some manufacturer codes.
I do not wish to challenge your knowledge in any way and give due respect to your knowledge of cars, but ever since electronics took over the engine, it has opened up a lot more options and possibilities.
Even the tuning chips which are used in performance chipping are simple electronic circuits mapped with different air/fuel ratios at different settings from the original. However getting the perfect settings are what requires a lot of iterations and research. People like Psi motorsport pioneered this area. Automobile R&d engineers have been doing the same thing for years, but the standard settings which are implemented are for the general masses and the key criteria are economy, emissions and longevity of the engine.
Peace!
Old 8th August 2011, 23:36   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Akshay,
The idle speed adjustment I am referring to is possible with Vag com. You can refer the attachment which I had also shared. Also being an automobile engineer myself (though not in the field any more)I can confirm it is certainly possible in any car. You just need the right cables, software and some manufacturer codes.
I do not wish to challenge your knowledge in any way and give due respect to your knowledge of cars, but ever since electronics took over the engine, it has opened up a lot more options and possibilities.
I'm quite aware of the electronic controlling part you are talking about, what I basically meant was that I thought it was not possible messing with the engine at all with the basic vcds, at least that is what I had read on briskoda.

You are hardly challenging me sir, just a pleasant debate in which I also learn.
Old 12th August 2011, 19:54   #135
BANNED

the skoda shield is a good thing. 75 grand gives you 100000 kms or 3-4 years peace of mind. this skoda assure I have to check.
i like the Yeti - always have. somehow I m getting convinced the space is not really a constraint - its all in the mind in the end!
lets see.
anyway no hurry - am considering the Duster too so I really dont mind waiting a bit and chugging along with the Scorpio for another 6- 9 months or so perhaps.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
I agree with you. The top variant is to go for. The servicing for my Yeti took about 8 hours. And I thought it was excessive. The cost of service should not be more than Rs 8,000 (including the oil change). There is no other cost in between. That's the cost of maintenance - at least initially. I'd also strongly recommend taking Skoda Shield together with no depreciation insurance (called Skoda Assure) - for added peace of mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks