Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2012, 07:47   #271
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!

The Skoda stuff abroad is first class. Lovely quality and excellent accessories.
These chappies here at Skoda India would do well to have at least some of that stuff made available to the consumers here!
I also wouldn't mind investing in the roof box and some other fiddly bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBN View Post
Thanks for the reference. I did some further checks on briskoda. It seems that the Skoda provided roof racks in Europe are better than Thule or any other 3rd party, in terms of fit and aesthetics. Will check with the local dealer what they can offer in India.
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:15   #272
BANNED

A Yeti New Year (Pic-o-logue!!)

Hi Guys
Have a quick view of the Yeti New Year in dear old Coorg district - some mixed pics of my old Scorp and the new Yeti and a marginal bit of rugged-ish soft roading etc.
I ve done around 690kms on this trip and the fuel gauge has just hit the red mark. I guess I would be filling up about 47-50 litres tomorrow - lets see.
All in all, the Yeti performed beautifully.
2 sad things - one small stone chip caused a tiny little scratch on my windshield. It is almost invisible but I know it is there and hence my slight regret. 2 of my front OEM Goodyear Excellence tyres are clearly indicating their displeasure with being taken off the road on account of their soft rubber.
I ve been thramming the Yeti upto 3500 rpm etc occasionally between gears while shifting up especially on the highway. Did some good speeds - 120kmph max though. Now the engine, the brakes and tyres etc are all very well "bedded in" and I am happy with the overall feel after this nice trip. I am particularly pleased with that understatedly aggressive Skoda diesel Growl from the engine! 140BHP on tap means super-easy overtaking on the highways. It is a great comfort to know that the "juice" is there where you need it, whenever you want it! The optical park assist is amazingly useful as are those lovely cornering fog lamps which are just so useful on ill lit or unlit roads where there are curves. The sound system is just too delicious for words!
I ve done around 1460 kms or something so far. Will check and let you know.
For the moment, enjoy the pictures.
Again - my apologies to the original thread creator for hijacking it like this. Forgive me my trespasses on this account please!
Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-30122011744.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-30122011746.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-30122011745.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-01012012755.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-01012012756.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-01012012757.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06893.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06895.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06896.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06897.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06898.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06899.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06900.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06901.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06902.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06903.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06904.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06905.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06906.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06907.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06908.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06915.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06916.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06917.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06918.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06919.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06920.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06921.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06922.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-dsc06923.jpg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd January 2012 at 18:18. Reason: add a couple of pics more
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:54   #273
BHPian

@Shankar no problem the thread name is "Skoda Yeti@India" so you are welcomed to post anything about Yeti! good to see you using and liking your Yeti. tires are really making everybody nervous, I am yet to see any bad sign but am too nervous to take my Yeti anyplace because of all that I see and hear, during my first service I saw one Yeti with a new tire and asked the owner about it, the answer was the previous one gave way at 8K only due to side wall!
Hope we get a stronger tire in coming day and can take Yeti to places without worries.
-Pramod
pramods is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 19:26   #274
BHPian

Great pictures Shankar.Balan! The Yeti looks simply amazing. Loved the last picture.

I want to ask a question to all the Yeti owners, how is the high speed stability of the car? What is the maximum speed one can comfortably cruise in it without the ride being unsettled?
Old 2nd January 2012, 19:26   #275
BANNED

Thanks very much Pramod.

I have clocked now more than 1465 kms on it in the first month of usage.
This trip alone was around 694 kms as per the clock.

I must check the FE tomorrow by filling up a full tank. For me this is a super novelty because I used to use almost 2 full tanks in my Scorpio for a similar trip in terms of kilometres. However, it is also true that I am driving my Yeti less fast than the Scorpio - I used to be at 90-120 kmph range most of the time in the Scorpio but Ive been driving the Yeti at 80-100 kmph range so far - just because Im enjoying the music inside!

I am sure I would have to fill up atleast 45-47 litres tomorrow so taking that into account, I guess the mileage I have received on this trip is atleast 15kmpl which I think is excellent for a mix of both highway driving and hard riding in the hills! Great car this Yeti!

Tyres of course remain a concern and I think with a little judicious usage I will be able to jolly them along for 25000 kms over say 2 years or so. At least, I shall try to do that much without of course compromising either safety or enjoyment!

Hope you liked the pictures that I posted

@Dekay - Thanks a lot for the appreciation. It just shows what the Yeti is capable of I guess - that one wheel lightly in the air made my day yesterday I can tell you!

With ref to high speed stability -man, it is amazing - just like a nice low slung car in terms of handling - all the fiddly bits - the ASR, the TCS, ESP, ABS, EBD and 4x4 kick in just so well to keep one on track. I dont generally take the car over 120 kmph and I didnt do a speed test this time on the highway but I have taken my old Scorpio to 150kmph once or twice and believe me, the Yeti, I think, can peacefully hit 170kmph if one feels like. There is just so much power on tap its not funny. Ref stability, it is a zillion times better than the Scorpio and other such beasts. It is totally car-like in terms of handling and hugs the curves like a sports car.
Indeed, this is exactly the sort of car I ve been wanting a very long time and I am glad I bought it!
We were playing that old lovely song "On Days like These" which was the title song of the old Italian Job with Michael Caine.
In that movie, the first scene has this song and a lovely Lamborghini Miura driving along the Italian Alps and the driver is simply gunning it!
While playing that song I felt like doing just that, but since I was driving in India, I didn't. In the wild hills at night a few nights back, I was doing 90kmph for short bursts on those lovely twisties - I can do that because at night you can see approaching headlamps from miles away and I am a very experienced hill driver in any case. The Yeti just sticks to the road without any twiddle-twaddle unlike my Scorpio! Brilliant feeling! I was hitting 120kmph now and then on the main highways on the trip out and back and the vehicle feels absolutely planted on the road! Amazing!

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
@Shankar no problem the thread name is "Skoda Yeti@India" so you are welcomed to post anything about Yeti! good to see you using and liking your Yeti. tires are really making everybody nervous, I am yet to see any bad sign but am too nervous to take my Yeti anyplace because of all that I see and hear, during my first service I saw one Yeti with a new tire and asked the owner about it, the answer was the previous one gave way at 8K only due to side wall!
Hope we get a stronger tire in coming day and can take Yeti to places without worries.
-Pramod

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd January 2012 at 19:36.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 20:01   #276
Team-BHP Support

Need we say anything more Shankar? !
Awesome product and drives and so well.

All the Yeti snaps on the highway makes it even more adorable.

Congrats and beautiful buy.
Hope you have many more miles, and you don't sleep!
Old 2nd January 2012, 22:11   #277
BHPian

Shankar- I guess you are going to end up selling more Yeti's than Skoda's marketing arm with you posts. I for one am oh so tempted to wean away from the Laura TSI and look at the Yeti Active. The more I read about the versatility, the more I am sold onto the Yeti. I will call up Autobahn tomorrow and enquire on the 2012 pricing
Old 3rd January 2012, 07:15   #278
BANNED

Ha Ha!
Any praise bestowed on it, is richly deserved. Good vehicle for our Indian road conditions - just the right sort of mix between a car and an SUV.
Had the Ford boys given us the Fusion with Diesel and 4WD at a nice price some years ago when they launched, they would have seen some extraordinary success in this compact SUV segment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemonic View Post
Shankar- I guess you are going to end up selling more Yeti's than Skoda's marketing arm with you posts. I for one am oh so tempted to wean away from the Laura TSI and look at the Yeti Active. The more I read about the versatility, the more I am sold onto the Yeti. I will call up Autobahn tomorrow and enquire on the 2012 pricing
Old 3rd January 2012, 13:17   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was getting out of Pantloons store and this is what happened, it all my mistake.
Hi Pramod,
Felt terribly sorry seeing the snap and reading about your brush with the pillar. Can sincerely feel the hurt. Condolences.
So finally what happened ? Don't seem to have read an update. Have you got your vehicle back ? And what were the damages like - if you don't mind sharing the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A few photos in a little track leading to an estate somewhere in Coorg..
Hi Shankar,
I know I am a little late.
Congratulations on getting the Yeti. Must be a world of difference from the good ol' Scorp !

Great snaps - which part of Coorg is this ?
Ahhh...Coorg - one of my favourite driving districts. Just can't get enough of it.

Though I was a little perturbed on catching in one of the snaps a rough sack casually placed on the bonnet of the Scorpio. Treating it now like a second class citizen after the arrival of the Yeti eh ?!!

Have a great time with the Yeti.
Old 3rd January 2012, 13:24   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Pramod,
Felt terribly sorry seeing the snap and reading about your brush with the pillar. Can sincerely feel the hurt. Condolences.
So finally what happened ? Don't seem to have read an update. Have you got your vehicle back ? And what were the damages like - if you don't mind sharing the details.
Its back on road, had to get the rear left door dented and repainted, the new color seems to match in day light but seems to have a very faint distinction while in low light, it may just be the new vs old color tint and possibly will get set with some round of wax and cleaning.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 13:30   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its back on road, had to get the rear left door dented and repainted, the new color seems to match in day light but seems to have a very faint distinction while in low light, it may just be the new vs old color tint and possibly will get set with some round of wax and cleaning.

-Pramod
Great to hear to that Pramod. Good luck !

Pssst - but damages ? Meaning how much did you have to shell out for the little misadventure ?
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:06   #282
BANNED

Hi
Thanks!
The place was my pals estate quite deep inside North Coorg.
The roads there are quite horrendous though.

My pal bought the Scorp from me to use on his estate as a general ute around the time I bought the Yeti.

That sack is a normal HDPE sack containing a few papayas so I dont think it would have hurt the old bus in any way.

But yes, while the Scorp was a great vehicle and good buddy in its day, today the Yeti occupies pride of place in my life!

And indeed, this Yeti is a different planetary experience entirely in comparison to the Scorp so I am very glad I bought it!

Quote:
Hi Shankar,
I know I am a little late.
Congratulations on getting the Yeti. Must be a world of difference from the good ol' Scorp !

Great snaps - which part of Coorg is this ?
Ahhh...Coorg - one of my favourite driving districts. Just can't get enough of it.

Though I was a little perturbed on catching in one of the snaps a rough sack casually placed on the bonnet of the Scorpio. Treating it now like a second class citizen after the arrival of the Yeti eh ?!!

Have a great time with the Yeti.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd January 2012 at 14:08.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 15:33   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Great to hear to that Pramod. Good luck !

Pssst - but damages ? Meaning how much did you have to shell out for the little misadventure ?
6.5K is what I had to shell, I did not go for insurance else it would have been "0" but at the inspection I thought it would be less as they would only patch the affected area, but later I came to know they have to paint the whole door for matching the paint! I believe it would have costed less than 50% of this amount if done outside of Service Center

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 3rd January 2012 at 15:35.
Old 3rd January 2012, 15:55   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe it would have costed less than 50% of this amount if done outside of Service Center
Hi Pramod,
Thanks for the info.
I guess the right thing was to stay away from the insurance claim - for next time/ year the NCB would have been more than this amount and it carries forward too - accumulating the amount lost via 'no'/lowered NCB %.

About going outside - the biggest pain is the colour matching which it tricky and is generally near perfect at the ASC paint shop. I know outside the paint booths have caught up - but there still is a slight gap in the skills of paint matching.

Glad all is well now with your Yeti.
Old 3rd January 2012, 17:31   #285
BHPian

Found this rather interesting picture:

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-40237_1576018364270_1349935346_31568360_989987_n.jpg  

DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks