Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2012, 20:54   #361
VBN
BHPian

I have a road trip starting in 2 days. With 5 folks plus 3-4bags. As per the table on the inside of the fuel filler flap, I should be putting in 35 psi for front wheels and 44 psi for rear wheel. Has anyone driven with this combo? How is the experience?
Old 3rd June 2012, 22:21   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBN
I have a road trip starting in 2 days. With 5 folks plus 3-4bags. As per the table on the inside of the fuel filler flap, I should be putting in 35 psi for front wheels and 44 psi for rear wheel. Has anyone driven with this combo? How is the experience?
This will be really harsh in terms of ride quality. I normally go with 34 in the front and 38 in the rear for full loading and it gives me good ride quality on my Yeti. For India you should not need very high pressure as the ambient is very high and the high ambient temperatures heat the tyres quite a lot and raise the pressure by 4-5 psi on running.
Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 08:41   #363
VBN
BHPian

I had an accident this morning in the yeti at around 5.20-5.25am midway between Belgaum and Dharwad on NH4. I was fresh at the wheel from 4.45am having taken over from my driver.

I do not know if it was a tyre bust or it was solely due to a truck from the left lane rammed me(I was in the right lane) as the road narrowed for construction. It was so sudden that the 2 front airbags just opened up and then I could feel the truck scaring ahead. I did not feel the first impact at all.

The yeti controlled itself very well ad I brought it to the side lane for a stop. The truck chappie didn't even stop giving me to believe it was his fault.

A little bit of panic as smoke from the airbags filled the cabin. My parents, family and driver were all fine. Only I had some scratches on my left hand as the plastic GPS holder probably scraped it while falling down.

Getting down from the car, I see the front left wheel jammed against the chassis and hence rendered immobile. The car, aircon etc all works but the front left wheel is jammed.

My wife called up some friends and relatives in Belgaum to pick them up and take them to a house. My driver and me are waiting for the Skoda-arranged towing van to arrive and take the yeti to the workshop in hubli.

I remember the words of the salesman in autobahn - god forbid if ever you are in an accident, then the Skoda is the best vehicle to be in, and that was true for me today. I thank my stars we are all safe and fine. The yeti handled it so well that my kids didn't even cry on the impact.

Kudos to Skoda for the strong build and handling and safety aspects in the car.

I look forward to getting it all fixed and be on the road again and get rid of all the demons inside me for the last 3 hours on the road now.

Will have to settle the hefty bill when it comes, but no physical injury, I think, is a blessing to count.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-image3035152300.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-image4159221924.jpg  

VBN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 09:03   #364
BHPian

re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBN View Post
I had an accident this morning in the yeti at around 5.20-5.25am midway between Belgaum and Dharwad on NH4. I was fresh at the wheel from 4.45am having taken over from my driver.
Good to know everyone is safe VBN.
Yeti is probably one of the safest cars on our roads especially the top end with multiple airbags.
Do post the service details and how Skoda a** handle it.
Drive safe.
Old 5th June 2012, 09:03   #365

Hey that was close! Glad that everyone is safe with the beast. You had mentioned about a tyre burst which most probably is the reason for losing momentary control over the vehicle subsequently ramming into the side of the truck. The ESP also must have kicked in immediately preventing any further loss of control and damage. The road manners of this animal is absolutely immaculate and the low CG makes it rock steady. A far cry from the prehistoric ladder on frame chassis SUV's with their massive body roll and wobbly movement further compounded by a disgustingly high CG. Love the Yeti for every reason buy an Yeti if you really care for your family. It's miles ahead of the rest ( everything under 30).
Old 5th June 2012, 09:07   #366
Senior - BHPian

Happy to see everyone is safe and healthy. Any day Skoda cars are built to last like an Armour cars.
Surely the demon has gone off now and enjoy the car once it's back to shape.
Happy Driving
Old 5th June 2012, 10:08   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Really sorry to hear about your crash, but at the same time relieved that no one was hurt. It really was a bad side hit which the truck seems to have made. Unfortunately these trucks are very strong and this hit would not have caused any major damage to it. The Yeti on the other hand seems badly bruised and will need a good amount of repair to get it up and running again. My guess is it would take anywhere from 15-25 days to get it back to health again.
The tyre also seems to have been burst from the side impact and its a good thing that you did not lose control and the ESP would have helped retain control.

All the best and keep us posted.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 5th June 2012, 11:22   #368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
….
Kudos to Skoda for the strong build and handling and safety aspects in the car.
Good to know that you and the family came out safe from the accident. This again shows that, however good a driver you are, the safety features still have its importance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBN
Will have to settle the hefty bill when it comes, but no physical injury, I think, is a blessing to count.
Will the accident repair be fully covered under the warranty package?

Edit: I think this should actually be covered under the accidents thread.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th June 2012 at 11:23. Reason: Note added
Old 5th June 2012, 11:35   #369
BHPian

Good to know that you all are safe, don't worry about the cost, I guess major impact was on tyre and it might have damaged the axle, the fender has been damaged but the internal structure looks ok. I hope it will be mostly covered under insurance. Thank god airbag deployed and every other safety feature worked, seen lots of images in accident thread were airbag were not deployed even on frontal impact!

-Pramod
Old 5th June 2012, 11:49   #370
VBN
BHPian

Yes, the front airbags opened perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-image2077030829.jpg  

VBN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 16:03   #371
BHPian

I once had an accident in my Octavia and realized how tough it was built and yeti seems to be better built than that, but in my case the airbags didn't deploy as my co-passenger wasn't wearing seat belts.

Safety of passengers shows the built quality, and also how i wish they get there spare parts and service right and we can see Skoda selling like hot cakes,

just pray they get it right so that people are not too worried in putting hard earned money on beautiful tanks like cars they build.

Last edited by raj.barcode : 5th June 2012 at 16:04.
raj.barcode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 19:26   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not know if it was a tyre bust or it was solely due to a truck from the left lane rammed me(I was in the right lane) as the road narrowed for construction.
Did you find any tyre burst when you got out of the vehicle? I noticed several people mention tyre damages of the Yeti in this forum, with tyres cracking etc., are the Yeti tyres of a bad quality?

Did you not notice the road narrowing in advance, as well as the truck nearby? If yes, why did you not slow down? It would have averted the accident.

Last edited by nitinbose : 5th June 2012 at 19:29.
Old 5th June 2012, 21:53   #373
VBN
BHPian

The yeti tyres are decent. On checking the tyre at the workshop, it was not a tyre bust.

I did slow down on the road narrowing, but the truck swerved too much to the right. The fact that I had slowed down, helped me control the car to a decent stop after the accident. In hind sight, I should have reacted better.

On the way from yellapur to ankola later in the afternoon, I counted 9 accidents on one slippery road. The last one involving a swift desire was the most ghastly in terms of head on collision and impact, that vehicle did not have air bags. Pulling out the passengers from that car was heart wrenching, and made the yeti front left damage look so small. Again it's helped put things in perspective re safety features.

Last edited by VBN : 5th June 2012 at 21:55.
VBN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 16:22   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to know that there were no physical injuries. I drive quite frequently on this stretch. The existing four lane road is being widened to six lanes and barriers and blockages do exist at unexpected places. Looking at the car I am quite surprised that the front airbags popped open. It looks like the impact was not from the front and was completely from the side.

Since the truck was on the left I guess you were overtaking that truck. The truck driver probably veered to the right without watching his mirrors. Were you aware that there was a blockage ahead? I am asking since anticipating the truck's movement could have avoided the accident.
Old 7th June 2012, 18:58   #375
BHPian

Sorry about the crash, good to be in a Skoda anyday.

I have just booked the 4x4 elegance after owning the Laura for 6 yrs (almost) 80K....still love it.

Can you suggest best tyres suited for Yeti? Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks