Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2010, 11:56   #196
BHPian

Great Pics C_L. Awesome architecture there. We did have some great architects in ancient times
Old 17th February 2010, 18:09   #197
Senior - BHPian

Day 6 - Jagdish Temple....

Day 6 – Jagdish Temple….

We woke up on Day 6 of our journey by 9.30 am after a very good sleep. Our plan for the day was to visit Jagdish temple and Bagore ki Haveli. Our first stop was going to be the temple. We decided not to take Chevy to the city that day and thought of experiencing Udaipur by local transport.

We walked to Green Chilly Restaurant at the junction, by 11.45 am and had a traditional south Indian breakfast of Masala Dosas and Uthappas. We returned back to our hotel by 1 pm and walked around Gulab Bagh area for some time and later took an auto rickshaw to Jagdish temple. We negotiated a rate of Rs. 25 and after a bumpy ride, reached the temple at 1.45 pm.

Jagdish Temple was built by Maharana Jagat Singh Ist in 1651 and was originally called the Temple of Jagannath Rai, dedicated to Lord Jagannath. It is the largest temple in the city of Udaipur.

We were welcomed by two huge stone elephants at the entrance and were really wonderstruck seeing the architecture and stone carvings on the three-storied temple’s walls. We removed our footwear and walked around the temple soaking in the wonderfully done art works, which tells a story by itself. The temple has a four armed black image of Lord Vishnu and was built keeping in the mind the Hindu architectural science of 'Vastushastra'.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-1-jagdish-temple.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-2-jagdish-temple-view-city.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-3-sadhu-walking-past-us.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-5-jagdish-temple-elephants-entrance.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-7-city-streets.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-9-jagdish-temple-beautiful-art-work.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-10-jagdish-temple-art-work.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-14-jagdish-temple_idol-inside.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-15-jagdish-temple.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-16-jagdish-temple-_-idols.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-17-jagdish-temple-art-work.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-18-jagdish-temple-superb-carvings-wifey.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-19-jagdish-temple-elephants.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-20-jagdish-temple-superb-carvings.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-21-jagdish-temple-.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-22-jagdish-temple-birds.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-23-jagdish-temple.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-24-jagdish-temple.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-25-jagdish-temple-superb-art-work.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-26-jagdish-temple.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-30-jagdish-temple.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-32-jagdish-temple-wifey-.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-33-small-temple-idol.jpg

We spotted a sweet darling looking at us!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-28-small-visitor.jpg

There were so many squirrels around us, totally immersed in munching the nuts and pulses given to them by devotees! I have a soft spot for squirrels and I was thrilled when I could see and photograph them from close quarters!!!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-34-sweet-visitor.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-36-so-busy.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-37-what-sweetheart-my-favourite.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-38-should-i-trust-you.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-39-i-have-search-nuts.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-41-dont-disturb-me.jpg

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 17th February 2010 at 18:11.
Old 17th February 2010, 19:45   #198
Senior - BHPian

Hi C_L

Aren't you tired of loading so many photos ?
i think, you have crossed 880 snaps in this travelogue alone

When i was writing my last travelogue, i found uploading the snaps needs most efforts in term sof selection, formating, size reduction, attaching, uploading etc.
Old 17th February 2010, 20:36   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi C_L

Aren't you tired of loading so many photos ?
i think, you have crossed 880 snaps in this travelogue alone

When i was writing my last travelogue, i found uploading the snaps needs most efforts in term sof selection, formating, size reduction, attaching, uploading etc.
As long as my readers are not getting tired of seeing the photos, I will continue uploading more and more. The hallmark of all my travelogues are my photos. Without photos, how can readers truly experience what we saw? Don't you like seeing photos? Should I stop posting?

The photo count is much more than 880. Remember, I combine pics! These 1000 odd pics came from 7000 odd photos in my collection. I still have 3000 odd snaps left!!

Editing photos takes a lot of time. But I happen to enjoy it! All for my dear Team BHP-ians!

I have some more amazing snaps to be posted, which we clicked, when we visited our second destination after Udaipur!
Old 17th February 2010, 20:53   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post

Don't you like seeing photos? Should I stop posting?
Ofcourse Photos are the "life" in a travelogue without which travelogue would look like a dead vegetable.

you are welcome to post all you 10000 photos, but for the efforts you have to do.

I found it was lot of efforts when i loaded my 660+ photos.
ofcourse i combined lot many photographs into collages. i am not counting those combined in the collages in this 660 snaps.

i was thinking whether i should post any more travlogues or not.
i have not been able to make up my mind becasue of the efforts needed.
Old 17th February 2010, 21:26   #201
Senior - BHPian

Well said Star. Photos gives life to a travelogue.

I think you should post more travelogues. We would love to read it.

I will post only the best snaps from my collection.
Old 18th February 2010, 15:32   #202
BHPian

Wonderful pictures of the squirrel, looking forward to the rest of the travelogue.
Old 18th February 2010, 22:58   #203
Senior - BHPian

Shopping and Bagore Ki Haveli....

We got out of the temple by 2.15 pm and decided to walk and do some shopping before going to Bagore Ki Haveli. We went to a cloth shop very near to the temple and the owner Mr. Hemant, gave us a fantastic bargain. We were very happy that we got some good clothes at almost half the price of Pune! We thanked Hemant and continued exploring nearby shops. I was surprised to note that the shopkeepers were very polite and did not try to overcharge or cheat us!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-1-hemant-front-his-shop.jpg

We then walked towards the museum by 3.15 pm and went to Gangaur Ghat. We saw a woman selling traditional Rajasthani ornaments and we purchased some stuff from her. She was doing business of ornaments and he husband was into selling a musical instrument.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-2-vendors.jpg

We also saw a young boy, Ganesh, selling marble curios. We were amazed at his skill, which he had developed at a very tender age and bought a candle stand which was priced at Rs. 100 from him.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-3-ganesh-his-works-art.jpg

We finally were able to enter Bagore Ki Haveli at 3.45pm. The entry ticket was priced at Rs. 15 per head and Rs. 10 for the camera. We were surprised to see the familiar sight of daggers adorning the gates of the Haveli. It seems all palaces of importance were fortified with these daggers!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-5a-museum-entrance-daggers-door.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-4a-history-museum.jpg

As soon as we entered the museum, we heard traditional Rajasthani instrumental music. We saw an old, traditionally attired man playing a stringed instrument. The musician’s name was Mr. Mohan and his instrument was Ravanttha! I tried to play the instrument, but I couldn’t even produce sound from the strings!!! Even years of experience playing a Bass Guitar did not help me!!!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-4-thats-me-trying-ravanttha.jpg

I sheepishly returned the instrument to Mohan and gave him a generous reward. He happily played some more songs for us.

We were in the courtyard of the Haveli then. There was an old well there and the Haveli looked majestic!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-6-old-well.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-5b-haveli.jpg

We were then guided to the roof of the Haveli and we could see the Pichola Lake and a boat full of tourists enjoying a lazy afternoon. We also saw two elephants on the far side of the lakeshore.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-7-tourists-boating-two-elephants-far-side-lake.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-8-havelis-rooftop.jpg

We then saw a funny scene. Two foreigners were clicking a bull with a big DSLR camera and one guy mustered enough courage to pat the bull’s head! The bull just wouldn’t leave him alone after that! Meanwhile, the second guy was trying hard to remove cow dung from his shoes!!! It was a hilarious!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-9-foreigners-shooting-bull-petting-him.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-10-see-what-happens-when-you-get-friendly-bull-what-my-shoe.jpg
Old 19th February 2010, 00:05   #204
BHPian

Hi CL,

Good Pics...Appreciate your effort in posting these pics and taking us through all the locations you have visited .... thouroughly enjoying the vist ...waiting for the rest ....

Thanks,
Srini...
Old 19th February 2010, 00:30   #205
Senior - BHPian

A tour of the Haveli....

We then started our tour of the Haveli. Here are the photos which are named accordingly and are self-explanatory.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-11-hallway-haveli.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-12-well-decorated-room-hookka.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-13-sword-ancient-fan.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-14-coloured-glass-windows.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-15-baithak.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-16-view-havelis-interiors.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-17-bottle-oil-lamp-made-out-glass.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-18-view-rooms.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-19-view-queens-games-room.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-20-traditional-toys.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-21-rooms-looked-liked-before-restoration.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-22-bedroom.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-23-artwork.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-24-huge-turban.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-25-another-view-turban.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-26-traditional-dresses.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-27-musical-instruments-wooden-box.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-28-traditional-stove-uses-dried-cow-dung-fuel-curd-maker.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-29-old-toilet.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-30-art-works-museum.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-31-painting.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-32-huge-chariot.jpg
Old 19th February 2010, 02:20   #206
BHPian

Hey CL, definitely one of the best travelogues on TBHP. The number of photos and details you have included is mind boggling. Amazing work. Loved pictures of the illuminated palaces and the lake. Thanks for sharing..
Old 19th February 2010, 14:00   #207
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Dreamdiesel, for your comment and appreciation.

The most difficult part of writing this travelogue is choosing which all photos to post from my collection. I spend close to 4 hours a day with my pics. So, yes, it is a huge effort.

Taking all those night shots in 2 - 4 degree temperature was the biggest effort I have ever put in during all my trips so far!! I took close to 800 night shots and the best of the lot are here! I am glad that you liked them!

@Sri, thanks for the appreciation. Without photos, no one can comprehend what we saw and can never truly visualize how an ancient Palace or a Haveli looks like. This is the reason why I took special interest in uploading these particular pics. I hope readers are not finding it boring!

Coming up... Sahelion Ki Bari... Our last point in Udaipur!!!

Is that the end of our trip? No! Not at all! We moved on to our next surprise destination!! We did not feel like going back home after experiencing the grandeur of Rajasthan! More on that later!

P. S - I captured some of the BEST PHOTOS of our entire trip there!
Old 19th February 2010, 14:09   #208
BHPian

Nice Photos and some nice catches as well. Those foreigners
Old 19th February 2010, 14:24   #209
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The haveli had me transported to a different era altogether. It was marvellous to see various things of the haveli. And then I see the photo of the toilet with smears of sputum, red in color on the walls. Jeez. People are out on a mission to defile our heritage and history.
And the photos with squirrels. Cute ones. A squirrel once touched me.
Old 19th February 2010, 14:35   #210
BHPian

Awesome collection CL. This time around the images that captured most of my attention are jagdish temple with birds and the Squirrel. I would like to appreciate your effort in resizing all these photos and uploading it for the pleasure of the readers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks