Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2017, 03:46   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Too early to crack up at 20k/ 17 months. How old were the tires when you bought them?
They were a year old as I got them through Paytm. As on date, they are 2.5 years old (29th week of 2015 manufacturing). Even then they are not very old. Must have been some sharp object which created this crack. I have driven through some very bad roads on my highway trips and the roads in my locality are not good either.
Old 3rd December 2017, 20:10   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
- Earth1 has multi-personality-disorder , when tyres are cold, drive will be supple, soaking up all bumps, rubble and potholes. Once they get warmed up, you will get to know every rock that your car rolls over.

I haven't faced this challenge even after having driven at high speeds on NICE road and on concrete tops that increase the temperature. Could it be because of some moisture in the air that might be in the tires? Worth checking again after changing the place that you fill tires at, completely emptying the tires and filling in nitrogen. Moisture laden air tends to expand unduly when the tires get hit thereby increasing the tire pressure that makes ride jarring.
Old 8th December 2017, 20:30   #423
BHPian

Planning to replace the current Earth 1s with a brand new set of Earth 1s tomorrow. Any guidance on where I should go for a good deal in south Bangalore? If you have recently bought 175/65/R14 Earth 1s in Bangalore, please let me know how much you paid for them.

Well, about the current set of Earth 1s, I have had them for exactly 3 years and 51K kms. 2 punctures and a lot of highway miles on them, but they have held up beautifully. I have tried Bridgestone and Apollo earlier, but am mighty pleased with the Yoko. So, Yoko it will be again.
Arka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 20:58   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
Planning to replace the current Earth 1s with a brand new set of Earth 1s tomorrow. Any guidance on where I should go for a good deal in south Bangalore? If you have recently bought 175/65/R14 Earth 1s in Bangalore, please let me know how much you paid for them.
Hi Arka, here's a suggestion- look up the price on Amazon and you then should be looking to get a deal in a brick-and-mortar store at within a price difference of +100 to 200 per tyre including fitting, balancing and alignment. That's what I paid when I got mine.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 18:53   #425
BHPian

I got four Yokohama Earth-1 tires, at 4250 apiece. Plus, four valves at 150 apiece. Balancing and alignment were free. The place was SLNP Pitstop on 24th Main, JP Nagar, 5th phase. Mr Manjunath, the proprietor was very polite and attentive. His staff seems to be well trained. One of the guys showed me a couple of bolts on the front wheel that need replacement. First time I got such detailed inputs at a tire shop. Overall, pretty satisfied with the end result.
Old 17th December 2017, 16:02   #426
BHPian

Hi all,

I have a maruti celerio which is just above 3 years old and has run for 45,500 kms so far. The car is still running on stock JK Vectra tyres. Two tyres have suffered multiple punctures on 2 different occasions and once the air inlet valve of one tyre had got damaged, probably fault of the air filling guy at the petrol pump. That tyre is kept as spare tyre. The tyres are at borderline situation and the tread depth of the tyres are only a few mm above the depth marker.

Should I consider changing the tyres now or can I carry on for another 5k kms? I have a week long trip coming next to next week covering almost 2500 kms. I was considering the yokohama earth 1. Can somebody kindly suggest what should I do? Thanks in advance.
Old 18th December 2017, 08:24   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar.abc View Post
Hi all,

The tyres are at borderline situation and the tread depth of the tyres are only a few mm above the depth marker.

Should I consider changing the tyres now or can I carry on for another 5k kms? I have a week long trip coming next to next week covering almost 2500 kms. I was considering the yokohama earth 1.
Hi AR,

I'm not a tyre expert, but believe that once tread depth reaches 3 mm or lower, it is a good time to start thinking about replacement. Since your current set has already done 45K kms, plus you are embarking on a fairly longish trip, I would imagine that it makes sense to get new shoes for your celerio. I am going to be driving about the same number of kms as you are next week. Therefore, got the tyres replaced.

Coming to the Earth 1 tyres, I am genuinely happy with their quality. My last set had done 51K kms. But even during the last 5K kms that I had them it never felt like that they were losing their poise. Pretty smooth and grounded. I think that the Earth 1 is very good value for money. I hope this helps you. Have a good trip.
Arka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 15:45   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
Hi AR,

I'm not a tyre expert, but believe that once tread depth reaches 3 mm or lower, it is a good time to start thinking about replacement. Since your current set has already done 45K kms, plus you are embarking on a fairly longish trip, I would imagine that it makes sense to get new shoes for your celerio. I am going to be driving about the same number of kms as you are next week. Therefore, got the tyres replaced.

Coming to the Earth 1 tyres, I am genuinely happy with their quality. My last set had done 51K kms. But even during the last 5K kms that I had them it never felt like that they were losing their poise. Pretty smooth and grounded. I think that the Earth 1 is very good value for money. I hope this helps you. Have a good trip.
Hi ARKA,

Thanks for your suggestion. Today I changed my celerio's all 4 tyres to Yokohama Earth 1, same specifications as OEM i.e. 165/70 R 14. Each tyre costed me Rs.3500/- i.e. a total of Rs. 14,000/- including new valves for all 4 new tyres, wheel balancing, wheel alignment and GST. I checked the week and year of manufacture for all 4 tyres. The manufacturing dates between the 4 tyres varied from 3217, 3317 and 3417. The first 2 digits stand for the week of the year and the last 2 digits indicating the year itself. The tyres come with warranty of 5 years but for certain defects like air bubbles, bulging etc.

I got the new tyres from Sanghi Tyres & Automobiles at Vashi, Navi Mumbai. I think it was a reasonable deal considering the price of 14k was all inclusive. I bargained a bit but did not want to haggle with him too much! I have retained the OEM spare JK Vectra tyre as a spare. I had been using the spare tyre for around 7-8k kms at the rear as the original rear tyre had suffered 3 punctures and the valve had also been replaced once and I did not trust running on that considering occasionally do highway runs and take rural roads. So the spare was still in a better condition.

It is too early for me to notice any marked difference in ride quality. However, my first immediate impression from the short 5kms drive back home from shop was that the alignment is sorted now, the ride felt a bit smooth. The tyre shop guys have kept air pressure at 32 PSI for all 4 tyres. However, for celerio car, Maruti recommends 36 PSI for front tyres and 33 PSI at the rear. I asked them about it and they said 36 PSI is too high and the ride will be bumpy. They always recommend 32 PSI for cars of this celerio category. Can anyone clarify this? I always felt the car manufacturer must have some logic and calculations behind recommending tyre air pressure. Are we not supposed to follow recommended pressure? Atleast that is what I have done all these years.

I am attaching the pic of the bill.
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_2053.png  

ar.abc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 00:55   #429
BHPian

I got 4 Yokohama Earth 1 175/65 R14 tires from V.S. Enterprises, Chennai. INR 4300 each including wheel balancing, alignment and new tire valves. The manufacturing dates where 4117 and 3317. Job was executed professionally and quickly.

I can feel some positive difference compared to my stock Goodyear but can comment on road noise only after a highway run.
Old 28th December 2017, 11:05   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Fitted two 185/65 R14 Earth1 tyres (for my Palio) last week from Lokmanya Tyres, Pune. Cost Rs. 4,200/- each.

A note worthy point - dealer told me that the tyres carry an 'UNCONDITIONAL' warranty for 2 years (forgot the kms limit)!
Quote:
I could also 'feel' the difference when driving over potholes - the thudding sound is slightly muted as compared to C.drives - better sidewall, perhaps?
Update on the above -

Lost a small patch of rubber on the sidewall a few days ago. The details are given here -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post4329317

Remembered the warranty (earlier post helped as a readily available reminder ) and took it up with the dealer. Not helpful.

Sent an e-mail to Yokohama customer care and followed up over telephone. The customer service executive (Mr. Utkarsh Sharma) acknowledged the receipt of my mail. Informed that the warranty is only against "manufacturing defects", and in my case it doesn't appear to be so. However, after listening to my being a faithful Yokohoma customer for a decade, and that I will be replacing the existing C.drives (on the rear wheels) with Earth 1, told me that the local support executive will be informed to help me out.

Mr. Shyam (the local support executive) called me and said that he will arrange for a "Goodwill Discount" of 50% on the cost of new tyre.

Went back to the dealer, by which time Mr. Shyam had called them. Got the replacement tyre @ Rs. 2260/- and two new ones for Rs. 4515/- each. The discounts offered on the (two) new tyres got offset on the charges towards wheel balancing and alignment :-( (free only if all tyres are replaced!)

I am still unable to pinpoint how the damage could have happened; my hope that the replacement will be done at minimal cost also didn't fructify. However, the gesture from Yokohama to offer a discount on replacement was positive and customer friendly.

In the course of searching for replacing the damaged tyre, had made enquiries with other brand dealers (was ready to change to all four tyres, if they really will honour their replacement commitment). But, the overall experience is that the warranty replacement of damaged tyre is not a simple process at all......

Last edited by vrprabhu : 28th December 2017 at 11:06.
vrprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 14:23   #431
BHPian

Changed the stock Goodyear tyres on the Swift (6years/29k) (Link) after checking the reviews here. Working out well as of now. Thanks for all the informative posts on this thread
Old 30th December 2017, 10:23   #432
BHPian

Changed the tyres on the Alto to Yokohama Earth-1 155/65 R13 in October. Performance so far is good. Reduced road noise, better braking when compared to the replaced Goodyear Ducaro Hi-miler.

The only downside, as others have reported, is that lots of small pebbles get lodged in the grooves and sometimes get flung into the footwell. This makes a tinging sound which can be heard in the cabin and is irritating at times, especially when going over a patch of unlaid roads.

Got each piece for Rs. 3150, went for Yoko over Michelin as spending an additional Rs. 500 per tyre did not seem like a good option, considering this is an Alto.

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-yokoearth1alto.jpg
anoop.u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 17:06   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar.abc View Post
Hi ARKA,

Thanks for your suggestion. Today I changed my celerio's all 4 tyres to Yokohama Earth 1, same specifications as OEM i.e. 165/70 R 14.
Last week I had changed all 4 tyres of my car to Yokohama Earth 1. For the last 7 days I was on a trip to Halebidu - Belur and surrounding several small villages to visit temples of Hoysala era. Came back yesterday. Covered 2450 kms round trip.

Drove on expressway, national highways, state highways, village roads, good roads, bad roads, no roads and what not. Wherever my humble celerio could take me. Thankfully the earth 1 tyres performed well and are holding up good. On couple of occassions I went over potholes at high speed and once I missed noticing an unmarked speed-breaker but luckily no damage so far. However, since I am a sedate driver, I took care to take it easy on rough patches and places where the roads were completely dug up for laying new one. I saw some people speeding on such bad stretches and zipping past me only to catch up with them later when they were fixing a puncture in their tyre or changing stepney!

On certain sections of Mumbai Bangalore highway where the tarmac is smooth, there was absolutely no noise from the tyres. I felt as if the car is floating in the air. Not that I did not have control over the car but it was very smooth. Before the trip I had checked air pressure in tyres. During the entire trip I checked air pressure only once. I did not see any visible signs of low air pressure during the entire drive.

So far so good. Hope the tyres serve well.
Old 8th January 2018, 16:17   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Lost a small patch of rubber on the sidewall a few days ago. The details are given here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post4329317
Two Earth-1 tyres, one in a Corolla and another in a Honda City ZX, had damaged sidewalls on very low speed attrition with kerb walls, and as expected, warranty wasn't honoured.

In the Honda City case, the customer was offered a replacement for Rs.2500 ( new was purchased for 4400).

While I agree that sidewall damages don't get covered under warranty, faith in the tyres' durability under normal Indian conditions, as described above, is lost.A tyre is expected to hold up against such abrasions and not just pop like a balloon.

I have recommended just this tyre to several of my friends, but after these two incidents, never again.

A tyre designed for India must withstand Indian driving conditions.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 16:45   #435
Senior - BHPian

I did my first proper panic stop on my earth 1's yesterday, and I was not very happy with the results. I was overtaking someone via the outer lane of a highway at speed limit ish speeds, when an ace pulled into my lane from a side the side road with headlights off at night . I saw him a bit earlier on thanks to my new fogs, but still it was a bit too close for comfort. Stood on the brakes, and the car came to a stop with no drama, but in my opinion, it took a fair bit longer than I expected.

With the apollo accelere, there was that "pinned to seat belt" feel, as if you would get thrown out if it hadn't been for the seat belts feeling when you tried a hard stop. No such thing here. But then again, with the Apollo, the car used to buckle and shudder with the occasional attempt to break traction/ fishtail under hard braking (though it was still controllable)

Not sure if its because of any issue with my brakes, or the tyres. A bit disappointed though, and worried.

Last edited by greenhorn : 12th January 2018 at 16:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks