Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2019, 11:58   #526
BHPian

Re: Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

Need some help. Looking to replace all 4 tyres on my Elite i20 Crdi done around 36k kms. Confused between the earth ones and XM-2. Any help would be appreciated.

Since Magna variant does not come with alloys, can i upgrade to 185/65 R14 from the stock size of 175/70 R14.

Thanks in advance.
aditya.86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 12:12   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Need some help. Looking to replace all 4 tyres on my Elite i20 Crdi done around 36k kms. Confused between the earth ones and XM-2. Any help would be appreciated.
If you're looking for durable tyres with decent amounts of grip then Earth 1 are a good choice. However if you want good ride quality and low noise plus good grip then Michelin XM2 should be your choice. XM2 are slightly better when it comes to ride and noise levels.

Quote:
Since Magna variant does not come with alloys, can i upgrade to 185/65 R14 from the stock size of 175/70 R14.

Thanks in advance.
You can safely upgrade to 185/65 R14 as the difference would be only -0.83%.
trinity0114 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 13:14   #528
BHPian

Quote:

Having used Earth-1 Tyres on my Polo for 50,000 kms, I can vouch for the durability of these tyres. They may not score very high on comfort or noise levels but make a lot of sense if you travel on not so good roads frequently or need tyres that last long enough. I suffered just a single instance of puncture. Also, the grip from the tyres is more than adequate. I was so impressed with Earth-1 that at 50,000 kms when it was time for replacement, I didn't even consider any other brand.

My previous car had Michelins. The tyres were more silent and comfort oriented but never lasted the distance that Earth-1 manages.
greenoval is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 13:42   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
Having used Earth-1 Tyres on my Polo for 50,000 kms, I can vouch for the durability of these tyres. They may not score very high on comfort or noise levels but make a lot of sense if you travel on not so good roads frequently or need tyres that last long enough. I suffered just a single instance of puncture. Also, the grip from the tyres is more than adequate. I was so impressed with Earth-1 that at 50,000 kms when it was time for replacement, I didn't even consider any other brand.

My previous car had Michelins. The tyres were more silent and comfort oriented but never lasted the distance that Earth-1 manages.
What kind of distance did you get from the Michelins? I had Earth 1s on my Octavia which did about 60K and looked good for another 15K at least (when I sold the car). I need to change the tyres on my Polo GT now, so I was looking at the Earth 1s again, but would not mind trying Michelin if the comfort, noise, and durability is better or at par.

Thoughts?
Viraat13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 14:52   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
What kind of distance did you get from the Michelins? I had Earth 1s on my Octavia which did about 60K and looked good for another 15K at least (when I sold the car). I need to change the tyres on my Polo GT now, so I was looking at the Earth 1s again, but would not mind trying Michelin if the comfort, noise, and durability is better or at par.

Thoughts?
I used to change Michelins at roughly 30,000 kms. Also, when I first got them on the car, I made the mistake of not being very cautious about the road edges/rough roads and ended up with side wall cut on the tyres and resultant replacements. So, if you need a sturdy tyre with decent grip, Earth-1 is a good choice. But, it is no match for Michelins when it comes to comfort and noise levels. The ride quality on the Michelins is plusher and the difference is quite perceptible. For a car like Polo GT, personally, I prefer the Michelin over Earth-1 - the growl of the trubo petrol will be more audible.
greenoval is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 15:05   #531
BHPian

As of now more sizes of bluearth are on offer than before. They are softer and comparable to xm2's. So anyone looking for more comfort should check out the bluearth series.
Old 4th April 2019, 15:31   #532
BHPian

You can safely upgrade to 185/65 R14 as the difference would be only -0.83%.[/quote]

Yokohama website does not show any options for 185/65 R14. I will need to stick to OEM size or look at some other brand i guess.
Old 4th April 2019, 16:02   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
I used to change Michelins at roughly 30,000 kms. Also, when I first got them on the car, I made the mistake of not being very cautious about the road edges/rough roads and ended up with side wall cut on the tyres and resultant replacements. So, if you need a sturdy tyre with decent grip, Earth-1 is a good choice. But, it is no match for Michelins when it comes to comfort and noise levels. The ride quality on the Michelins is plusher and the difference is quite perceptible. For a car like Polo GT, personally, I prefer the Michelin over Earth-1 - the growl of the trubo petrol will be more audible.
I don't consider the Earth 1 a noisy tyre, thought that could be because of the 1.9 litre clattering diesel I had on the Octavia.
Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
As of now more sizes of bluearth are on offer than before. They are softer and comparable to xm2's. So anyone looking for more comfort should check out the bluearth series.
More comfort is nice, but what of the durability and grip? I like the Earth 1 for its good all-rounder performance (grip wet or dry, braking, longevity, noise).
Does bluearth compare?
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 16:11   #534
BHPian

Can't comment on the durability factor but the grip is good. I have driven bluearths made in Japan and they are silent and grippy. Haven't driven on wet roads.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 16:39   #535
BHPian

Covered 40K on Yokohama Earth1 165/80/R14. Last week replaced with new set of Earth1 costing 3100 each @ DBS Kalamassery. Alignment and balancing charges costed 700.
speedgun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 17:37   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Yokohama website does not show any options for 185/65 R14. I will need to stick to OEM size or look at some other brand i guess.

Michelin india website shows the XM2 is available in this size, you can check if Michelin suits you
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-screenshot_20190404_173507.jpg
trinity0114 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 11:32   #537
BHPian

Hi All,

I bought the Yokohama Earth 1s yesterday for my Polo GT TSI. The factory Goodyears lasted only 28,000 km. I've just driven about 50 km, and I can definitely say that the ride and handling is much better, and road rolling noise has practically gone.

This is my second set, the first was on my 2006 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI AT. I did about 58 or 60K on them. They looked good for (at least) another 10,000 kms when I sold the car.

I have also discovered that this tyre has no particular inside or outside marking. The dealer told me to come back in 10K kms for a tyre rotation, and in 25K to remove and install the tyres the other way around to ensure even wear. Not entirely sure about the second part, but I think it makes sense with front wheel drive cars.

Happy driving!
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2019, 19:41   #538
BHPian

Yesterday night one of my Michellin 3 STs was gone. Just 25% thread had been used. It was my mistake. Drove it for quite a distance fully deflated.
Was today in the market for one earth1. Size 205/55/R16. Price quoted by dealer here at Bhubaneswar was 7350/- , where as in Amazone it's 6300/- . Price looked higher to me, and thus eventually went for 3ST again @ 8700/-.
What is price of above size earth1 in other cities. How is the experience with Amazon, if someone has bought tyres from them.
Thanks
Old 11th May 2019, 20:27   #539
BHPian

The mrp of the 205/55/16 is 81** and the recommended price is 7640. The price quoted to you was quite okay in my opinion. If you compare the dealer price with online prices, you will find it lower everytime regardless of the brand.
Old 11th May 2019, 23:05   #540
BHPian

Was using JK Ultima tyres for 3.5 years worst tyres your money can buy. Tyres loosing pressure sidewall punctures had become hard like stones.

2 months ago got them switched to Yokohama Earth 1 Tyres 13, 155/70. These feel like driving on clouds compared to JKs. New Yokohama Franchise has opened in area they charged 13500/- for all 4 tyres, wheel alignment & balancing.

When compared to online this outlet was cheaper. I think it is because the margins are higher to franchise owners.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th May 2019 at 08:38. Reason: typo & formatting
freak is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks