Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2022, 08:55   #136

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBoy View Post
I went for 215/60, and I am quite happy with this configuration. I went for this configuration only on the basis of the advice given by the owner of the store I bought these from. He said that the 225/60 would lead to a heavier steering. I am quite happy with the new tyres. Ride quality has definitely improved.
Which store did you go to in Hyderabad? I have to change my car tyres also and want to upgrade from 205 65 R16 to 215 65 R16.
Old 8th August 2022, 15:32   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that extra 5 mm seems to have made good difference. As to the tyres, I went a little bold and switched to Goodyear ATM. These costed ₹8,200 per tyre (₹6,400 net of GST as we get to claim input credit on corporate purchase).
Hello, I wonder how you claim GST on motor car tires? I thought car tires one cannot claim gst input credit. Specially since its not a commercial vehicle, in which case it needs to have yellow plates.
Old 8th August 2022, 16:34   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Hello, I wonder how you claim GST on motor car tires? I thought car tires one cannot claim gst input credit. Specially since its not a commercial vehicle, in which case it needs to have yellow plates.
As long as the vehicle is registered in the company's name, or if the individual in whose name it is registered is also the proprietor of the company, one can claim ITC on tyres. It's the same logic of being able to claim ITC on parts, service and maintenance expenses - tyre is also a part treated as a consumable, and so it does not come under capex, which is ineligible for ITC.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 10:03   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaga99 View Post
Which store did you go to in Hyderabad? I have to change my car tyres also and want to upgrade from 205 65 R16 to 215 65 R16.
I went to Greeshmas Harsha Wheels, Near Chitrapuri, Off the Nanakramguda road
TallBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 10:05   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Rubberguru1113's reply answers the question. All you have to do is to make sure they file the GST returns with your company's GSTIN.
Old 10th August 2022, 13:16   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rubberguru1113's reply answers the question. All you have to do is to make sure they file the GST returns with your company's GSTIN.
Gentleman, To my understanding as per gst consultant and auditor, gst input credit is not allowed on Any motor car expenses/services, unless the motor car is registered for commercial use/transport of goods etc. Will appreciate if you can share any notification to this regards for private vehicles. Infact such credit has been disallowed in assessments, and credit taken reversed with interest thereon.
scooby05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 18:27   #142
Senior - BHPian

Hi

Have to change tires on the 2016 Crysta Vx (205/60R16) in a short while (about 2 months)

Michelins are not there in the market. What would be a good alternative?

I am looking for (in order of priority): Comfort, Noise, mileage & life.

Madhu are pushing Vredestein; I am not very comfortable for a highway/ high-speed car. (Have them on the Jazz. They are perfectly fine there)

Conti?
Yoko? I have the BlueEarth currently. Find them quite hard. Earth 1 any different?
What else?

Thanks a ton.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 19:18   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Conti?
Yoko? I have the BlueEarth currently. Find them quite hard. .
Go for continental UC6. They are just half a level down on Michelin P4ST.
Old 28th August 2022, 13:22   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Have to change tires on the 2016 Crysta Vx (205/60R16) in a short while (about 2 months)

Madhu are pushing Vredestein; I am not very comfortable for a highway/ high-speed car. (Have them on the Jazz. They are perfectly fine there)

Conti?
Yoko? I have the BlueEarth currently. Find them quite hard. Earth 1 any different?
What else?

Thanks a ton.

Hi Sridhu
I am also on the same situation for 16 inch rim size, ie looking for Michelin LTX force or primacy of sizes 205/65 R16 or 215/65 R16. Just last evening I had enquired with Madhus and they are pushing conti or vredestein. Tyre empire whitefield offered primacy 4ST at 15000 per tyre but for 17 inch rims sizes.
Let me know what you decide and purchase and at what offer? Pls PM me

Btw are you giving away OEM tyres (5 numbers) ? I am interested at a readable repurchase rate if you have .

Thanks

Last edited by cs_rajesh : 28th August 2022 at 13:24.
Old 28th August 2022, 13:24   #145
BHPian

Friends
If anyone is changing their OEM tyres 205/65 R16 or similar sizes ( 5 tyres) to something else, just after purchase or after certain run, then I am ready to buy them.

Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 21:58   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Conti?
What else?

Thanks a ton.
Contis are a better option, considering you are not too keen on Yokos. Stay away from Michelin 4ST, even if they are available. They are too soft and I already had 5 punctures in 15k kms of usage. It happens especially when the PSI drops. I usually prefer 33 PSI, but because of these frequent punctures, I increased it to 35 PSI and along with it installed Sensairy TPMS too.
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 23:01   #147
Senior - BHPian

When the new Primacy 4ST got punctured soon after installation I knew there was something wrong with this tyre and it was surprising how good the Primacy 3 were.

I made a remark on durability of the Primacy 4 in post 83:-
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post5043609 (Toyota Innova Crysta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)

Considering my experience I am not surpised by what Samabhi has gone through with his set of Primacy. I would suggest that no one buy the primacy 4 because it is overpriced for what it is and more importantly Primacy 4 as been replaced by Primacy 4+ abroad, check tyrereviews.com

After the Primacy 4 short episode I went back to 16 inchers with Wrangler Silentrac AT 215/65/16. These were good tough tyres, I couldn't care less on where I put the wheels on the potholed roads or road edges these were tough and gripped well on unsealed surfaces and or loose surfaces. Only problem with the Silentrac AT was tyre noise especially while driving fast and one minor issue was comfort if not fully laden the stiff sidewalls (they are strong) presented with a slightly harsh ride.

Last edited by Sankar : 20th September 2022 at 23:02.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 10:12   #148
Senior - BHPian

Context

During 70,000 kms service for my Innova Crysta, I complained of steering vibrations at speeds of 108 kmph and above ( 98 kmph GPS speed ). After inspection, they mentioned that it's due to bent alloys. I asked them to put the best 2 alloys at the front and the reply was that all 4 alloys have some level of deformation and that they will put the best 2 alloys at the front.

Moral of the Story

I'm done with the 17 inch low profile tyres on my Crysta. When the time for next tyre upgrade comes, I'll change all my alloys to 16 inch alloys. Hopefully, I'll get the Touring Sport version alloys for 16". I had seen these in a few innovas manufactured during the notorious tyre burst issues on the 17 inch tyres.

Tyre Sizes considered
  • 205/65 R16 - Safest option. But, from the threshold of ABS kicking in on the Crysta even with 215/55 R17 ( indicating a loss of grip ), I feel 205 is a bit low for such a heavy vehicle.
  • 225/60 R16 - This looked the ideal size for me since the change in circumference is just 1.2 % compared to 215/55 R17 and it also provides 20 mm of additional grip. Sidewall height even though not as good as 215/65 R16 was still a decent 135mm just 4 mm short of 215/65 R16. But, since the alloys are 6J, and the recommended max width in the alloy is 215 mm, I had to give up this option as well.
  • 215/65 R16 - Decided on this size due to same width as 215/55R17, and the hefty sidewall of 139.75 mm ( vis-a-vis 118.25 mm on 215/55 R17 )

I researched on good tyres available on this form factor and sorted them based on load index and then on speed. This is what it looks like.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screen-shot-20220921-10.01.58-am.png

Driving style / other factors
  • Highway:City drives - 60:40
  • Highway driving style - Try to be on cruise control at around the max allowable speed on the road. There could be occasional bursts to upto 1.3x the speed allowed. But, that's very rare and the only reason to do that would be to get away from bad drivers driving at around my same cruising speed.
  • City driving - I do not baby it on the broken city roads in Bangalore. I would try to avoid pot holes. But, sometimes it can take an impact at speeds around 20 - 30 kmph.
  • Can encounter frequent wet driving conditions on the Western Ghats and in Kerala.
  • Love driving on the hills even if the road is bad. The frequency of such drives might be low. But, given an opportunity, I grab it with both hands.
  • Vehicle can be fully loaded during 700 kms drive to Kerala or Hyderabad.
  • Typical temperature range under which the vehicle will be operated - 5 degree celsius to 45 degree celsius.
  • Comfort and safety is a priority.
  • If the chances of family being stranded midway during a trip can be avoided, I am all for it.

Based on this, any recommendation on which tyres to choose ?

PS: I will be replacing the alloys with 16 inches only after 10k to 15k kms since there is that much of tyre life left and I do not want to contribute to more environmental junk in addition to the 17 inch alloys.

Last edited by amalji : 21st September 2022 at 10:20.
amalji is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 11:19   #149
Senior - BHPian

215 is the max width the 16 inch alloys can take as its a 6J alloy. 205 is the recommended size for 6J as per continental's tyre-width/rim-width chart. Similarly it is 225 max width and 215 is the recommended width for the 6.5J 17inch wheel. You already know this.

On 16" stock alloys there are two options to choose from in practice :-
1) 205/65 R16 Stock, Sidewall 5.2"
2) 215/65 R16 +1.9%, Sidewall 5.5"

On 17" stock alloys there are three sizes to choose from in practice:
1) 215/55 R17 Stock, Sidewall 4.7"
2) 215/60 R17 +3.4%, Sidewall 5.1"
3) 225/55 R17 +1.5%, Sidewall 4.9"
# 235/55 R17 Not recommended. Some people use it.

With the 17 inch options the 215/60 R17 seems too big of a deviation from stock at +3.4% although it is within the 4% limit. But compare this size with the stock 16 inch wheel the deviation comes down to 2.6% and is an acceptable deviation to many.

1) 205/65 R16 Stock, Sidewall 5.2"
2) 215/60 R17 +2.6%, Sidewall 5.1"

Basically what I am saying is that the 17 inch wheels have more choice of tyres to suit the needs. On the 16 inch its either the stock size or the 215/65 R16 and there are no XL (extra load) rated tyres in this size, none came up during my search.

225/55 R17 has only street and sport tyres to choose from mostly in our market like Primacy4, PremiumContact2, UltraContact6, Potenza, Turanza T005, Bluearth, Earth 1, Advan etc..

215/60 R17 has street and some rough road type tyres to choose like UtraContact6, ContiCrossContact LX2, Dueller HP, Apterra cross etc..

Imo downsizing to 16" wheel is a bad idea. I went from 16" wheels to 17" wheels back to 16" wheels and now back on 17" facelift wheels.

Last edited by Sankar : 21st September 2022 at 11:20.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 12:07   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Context

Comfort and safety is a priority.

Based on this, any recommendation on which tyres to choose ?
Both the 215/65R16 which you seem to have zeroed in on and 215/60R17 as suggested by Sankar sir are good options based on your stated priorities of comfort and safety. 215/65R16 is going to be a tad more comfortable compared to 215/60R17 due to the taller sidewall (but not a big perceivable difference IMO)

Also I'd recommend based on your usage that you go for highway terrain tyres only and not A/T tyres. Btw in your list, the Conti CrossContact is an on/off road product and not a highway product, and this is where I would second Sankar sir's statement that the highway focused tyres are offered mostly only on the 215/60R17 size and not the 215/65R16 size, due to the former being a popular size in the market.

Highway products like the Yoko BluEarth GT AE51, Conti UC6 etc. would be comfort focused and low noise tyres with good traction as well, and these are not available on the 215/65R16.

Finally, no matter what brand/size you go for, as a tyre industry professional, I'd urge you to check the markings on the sidewall and ensure that it says "2 Polyester" against Sidewall Plies. Attaching a reference image :-

Toyota Innova Crysta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-sidewall-plies.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

On the 16 inch its either the stock size or the 215/65 R16 and there are no XL (extra load) rated tyres in this size, none came up during my search.
Extra Load marking is a gimmick and doesn't really indicate how robust a tyre's construction is. Number of plies on tread and sidewall is a better indicator.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks