Old 6th November 2021, 13:12   #106
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
Available options are:

205/65 R16 4ST

215/60 R16 4ST

215/65 R16 LTX Force SUV (Not available in stock and even if its available, they are quoted at higher prices, almost 4k higher when compared to 205/65)
I finally went ahead and picked up Michelin Primacy 4ST in 215/60 R16 size for 10500 /- a piece. Initial observations after a brief city ride and long drive to Hyderabad:

- Ride quality is a bit softer compared to Primacy SUV
- Steering is very light at lower speeds
- Mileage has increased significantly. For the speeds I drive on BLR-Hyd highway, I usually get 10 - 11. However with these new tires I saw the average mileage increased to 11.5.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase. Have used the tyre pressure at 34 PSI, which I might reduce to 33 once I get back to Bangalore. I have couple of long drives lined up in the next week over all sorts of roads. Will share the feedback.
Old 17th November 2021, 12:23   #107

Apologies in advance if I am repeating the points discussed in the discussion here. I went through the pages but did not really get a good answer to my questions.

Basically I have been handed down a Innova Crysta 2016 2.8 Z automatic.

1. It’s due a Tyre change now. I wish to upgrade to 225/55 R17. Please advise the pros and cons.

2. Suspension upgrade - Bilstein or RaceConcepts

3. Petes Tuning or something else.

I wish to get some help regarding these points.
Thank you.
Old 18th November 2021, 09:14   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanipaul View Post
Apologies in advance if I am repeating the points discussed in the discussion here. I went through the pages but did not really get a good answer to my questions.

Basically I have been handed down a Innova Crysta 2016 2.8 Z automatic.

1. It’s due a Tyre change now. I wish to upgrade to 225/55 R17. Please advise the pros and cons.

2. Suspension upgrade - Bilstein or RaceConcepts

3. Petes Tuning or something else.

I wish to get some help regarding these points.
Thank you.
I just upgraded to Michelin Primacy 4ST in 225/55/r17, and it's made a world of a difference. The ride is more supple, handling is better, road noise is non existent. It has transformed the innova for the better.
kapi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 14:25   #109

Thank you Kapi.

Anybody here tried Bilstein B6 or RaceConcepts suspension on Innova Crysta? What’s the ride quality like after the upgrade on Highways?
Old 18th November 2021, 14:45   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you Kapi.

Anybody here tried Bilstein B6 or RaceConcepts suspension on Innova Crysta? What’s the ride quality like after the upgrade on Highways?
I have not had the pleasure of trying out an Innova with Bilstein B6. It should be good, and while the ride may be a little firmer than stock, the car should feel even better with controlled oscillation thanks to the sport-dampers.

RaceConcepts suspension are nothing but re-branded Taiwanese K-Sport coilovers sold at inflated prices to unsuspecting customers.

To manufacture a coilover from scratch, you need the sort of R&D that only large companies with massive facilities and equipment (like Bilstein, KW, Eibach and even K-Sport) have access to. RC is a fly-by-night shop in comparison. Would strongly suggest staying away entirely.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 15:13   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While I havent tried this out, but if the suspension is going to get stiffer, then there could be issue with the 17 inch rims getting bent or tyre cuts. This was an issue in the initial lot of the Crystas and numerous issues were reported. Later the suspension was modified to have softer dampers and tyres with thicker sidewalls and the issue was resolved to a great extent. While I would love the suspension to be slightly stiffer, I am not sure what would be the impact on the tyres when going over potholes or humps at speed.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 18:57   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
While I havent tried this out, but if the suspension is going to get stiffer, then there could be issue with the 17 inch rims getting bent or tyre cuts. This was an issue in the initial lot of the Crystas and numerous issues were reported. Later the suspension was modified to have softer dampers and tyres with thicker sidewalls and the issue was resolved to a great extent. While I would love the suspension to be slightly stiffer, I am not sure what would be the impact on the tyres when going over potholes or humps at speed.
Innova Crysta 2016 model is on very soft springs. It’s like a bobble head. I would like a more planted ride from the Crysta. Tahts why I thought a suspension upgrade is necessary.
Old 1st December 2021, 15:07   #113
Senior - BHPian

One of my tyres ‘burst’ this morning. Thankfully at our parking. Mistake is mine for sure where I scrapped through a sharp raised platform (8 inches high) at my parking. I just have been at 10km/hr speed and was surprised when I heard the noise and saw the tyre fully flat.

This tyre is at best 18K km old.

I spent an hour to put up the spare wheel and when I took this to the nearby tyre shop, he tells me to either buy a new one or to put tube inside.

I’m not sure how putting a tube in a tubeless will hold up. Given my highway drives I don’t want to be thinking of my tyre while driving.

Looks like I might have to buy a new one. Now, I’m thinking if I manage with the spare (Apollo, came with the car) for 20K km or buy just one single B90 from Bridgestone. I changed only 4 last time. Should have changed all 5.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-d7ac4df53af7488489a034c21d17c7a2.jpeg  

jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 16:24   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
... he tells me to either buy a new one or to put tube inside.

I’m not sure how putting a tube in a tubeless will hold up. Given my highway drives I don’t want to be thinking of my tyre while driving.
You can put in a tube and use it as a dedicated spare tire only.

Rotate only 4 wheels until you are replacing all tires. At that time decide if you want to keep one of the older tires as spare or if you prefer to replace all 5
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 16:57   #115
Senior - BHPian

Hello Sridhu- thanks. Yes, that was the plan.

When I changed the tyres, I left one of the better older ones as the spare. With this incident of today morning, I don’t think want to run with 3 good tyres of Bridgestone that’s 18K km and one Apollo that’s 40k+ km.

That’s why I’ll probably buy one new tyre and use the one with the tube as a strictly spare only.
Old 1st December 2021, 17:29   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Sridhu- thanks. Yes, that was the plan.

When I changed the tyres, I left one of the better older ones as the spare. With this incident of today morning, I don’t think want to run with 3 good tyres of Bridgestone that’s 18K km and one Apollo that’s 40k+ km.

That’s why I’ll probably buy one new tyre and use the one with the tube as a strictly spare only.
Just ensure that you coat the inner surface of the tyre with some cheap talcum powder. The inside of the tubeless tyre is rough and will cause the friction between the tube and tyre surface. A tube type tyre will have smooth inner surface.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 00:53   #117
BHPian

Quote:
I don’t think want to run with 3 good tyres of Bridgestone that’s 18K km and one Apollo that’s 40k+ km.

Seems the right thing to do to buy a new tyre but you may have to consider how severe is the impact of the incident on tyre when you decide which one of the two you want to keep as spare. If Apollo is still decent, I'd rather have it as a spare rather than taking risk in a damaged tyre with tube fitted in.
Mail.atyagi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 08:18   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
I finally went ahead and picked up Michelin Primacy 4ST in 215/60 R16 size for 10500 /- a piece. Initial observations after a brief city ride and long drive to Hyderabad:

- Ride quality is a bit softer compared to Primacy SUV
- Steering is very light at lower speeds
- Mileage has increased significantly. For the speeds I drive on BLR-Hyd highway, I usually get 10 - 11. However with these new tires I saw the average mileage increased to 11.5.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase. Have used the tyre pressure at 34 PSI, which I might reduce to 33 once I get back to Bangalore. I have couple of long drives lined up in the next week over all sorts of roads. Will share the feedback.
Primacy 4ST is very comfortable and the ride is soft. It's taking the pothole filled Blore roads very well and on the highways too, it's a been a good experience so far. Had my first puncture with a nail gone in and that makes me believe that 4ST compound is softer when compared to Primacy SUV or 3ST. The same was echoed by Sankar too. Another friend who bought 4ST tyres for his BRV had a puncture in less than a week. I never had any puncture on the primacy SUV tyres in the first 50k kms of usage.

Last edited by samabhi : 3rd December 2021 at 08:20.
Old 3rd December 2021, 12:29   #119
BHPian

My friend has a Crysta 2.4G Diesel, 2017 model currently running on stock Bridgestone B390 205/65/R16.

Nothing too costly, what is the best recommended upgrade for better road grip?
Old 13th December 2021, 10:56   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
235/55/r17 would be a better upgrade than this. I have upgraded to 255/45/r18 and very happy with the setup. The tyres grip like a leech and no tyre bursts.
Hello there

Do you have any updates on 255/45/R18 wheels. I have rarely seen this kind of an upgrade and really eager to hear more on this.

Thank you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks