Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2023, 22:04   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
I had googled on the day before yesterday and had stumbled upon this Toyota portal: https://www.toyotapartsconnect.in/, but it didn't really help. When I tried searching on that site with words like alloy or wheel, it hardly showed a couple of steel rims and rim covers! So gave up on that. Provide pointers in case you know any website/specific link wherein I can check all their alloy wheels.
Their website doesn't list all parts. Talk to a service advisor in a Toyota dealership with a sample vehicle registration number of a vehicle variant which comes with the alloy model of your choice. They should be able to get the part number, photo and price for you. In my case, I just used the registration number of a car reviewed by Auto car.

PS: The Touring sport variant of Innova Crysta came up with 17 inch and 16 inch black alloys at different times depending on the manufacturing date. The one reviewed by Autocar came up with my preference ( 16" black alloys ). I just shared the registration number of the vehicle and they were able to get all details of part number, price and a low quality photo for the alloy.

Quote:
@amalji, I want to follow what you have done. Since Hycross and Crysta are very similar in terms of form factor, I now think may be I should consider going even lower to 16" like you did! It will add 1 inch to tyre height rather than half an inch that 17" would. I hope it won't be too small for the car?
If my memory is correct, the Hycross comes with tyres of 3 diameters depending on the variant ( 16", 17" and 18" ). I would have went for the 16". Even more so after I tried a test drive of the Hycross with 18" tyres where I could feel every single undulation on the road and because of my bad experiences with alloy dents on my 17" crysta with 55 profile tyres. But that's also because I do not care about the looks. I would recommend you to look at the variant in person and then take a call.

Last edited by amalji : 22nd August 2023 at 22:21.
Old 22nd August 2023, 22:34   #812
Senior - BHPian

may be we are getting a bit off-topic for this thread, but just to conclude, the person from dealership who called me has said that he should be able to show me the details of available wheels. Will keep points that you mentioned in mind.
Old 23rd August 2023, 00:13   #813
BHPian

I recently put continental UC6’s on my Maruti ritz, size 185/70/r14 and compared to the JK tyres (165/80/R14) which were fitted earlier, they seem like a pretty considerable upgrade. The braking distance seems to have reduced, the steering wheel feels lighter and the car feels considerably more planted on the ground. The dry and wet grip of the tyres are also superior than before.
Old 4th September 2023, 20:10   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
If my memory is correct, the Hycross comes with tyres of 3 diameters depending on the variant ( 16", 17" and 18" ). I would have went for the 16". Even more so after I tried a test drive of the Hycross with 18" tyres where I could feel every single undulation on the road and because of my bad experiences with alloy dents on my 17" crysta with 55 profile tyres. But that's also because I do not care about the looks. I would recommend you to look at the variant in person and then take a call.
I had finally replaced original 18" with 16" supposedly Toyota OEM alloy wheels (one of the options that crysta comes with), and 205/65R16 Continental UC6 tyres (as explained in detail here (Toyota Innova Hycross Review)). Ride/comfort/cushioning is much better as expected but in terms of road noise/silence I am a bit disappointed. I was expecting very minimal noise with UC6 going by the reviews, but I can hear quite a bit of road noise with them. They are inflated at ~33 psi. The noise level is not high, it is on lower side itself but not as low as I had imagined. Not sure whether my expectation from these tyres is too high or whether hycross's road noise isolation is bad (though ambient noise isolation in the car is quite good actually). I am now wondering whether UC6's can really be called "silet" tyres or not and how much worse it will get as they age and harden in long run!
santosh.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 08:00   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ride/comfort/cushioning is much better as expected
I recently drove a hycross top end variant and i could feel every little undulations on the road. I could very well relate to it because my Crysta with 17 inch wheels had somewhat similar feel ( even though not as bad as the hycross ). And as soon as I downsized to 16 inch, there's a huge difference in comfort. In your case, you have downsized by 2 inches which means the difference will be even more noticeable.

Quote:
but in terms of road noise/silence I am a bit disappointed. I was expecting very minimal noise with UC6 going by the reviews, but I can hear quite a bit of road noise with them. They are inflated at ~33 psi. The noise level is not high, it is on lower side itself but not as low as I had imagined. Not sure whether my expectation from these tyres is too high or whether hycross's road noise isolation is bad (though ambient noise isolation in the car is quite good actually). I am now wondering whether UC6's can really be called "silet" tyres or not and how much worse it will get as they age and harden in long run!
Is it worse than your previous tyres? I could feel remarkable improvement in noise with UC6 especially on the concrete road stretches of nice road where the Bridgestone used to give an irritating 'hum' at speeds.
Old 5th September 2023, 23:02   #816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
In your case, you have downsized by 2 inches which means the difference will be even more noticeable.
Yes, the difference was quite obvious. I know that it is going to make high speed handling, body roll and turns worse, but that is the trade-off we are willing to make and hope that it remains acceptable. In an unfortunate incidence of tyre burst or sudden loss of pressure at high speed (God forbid!), I would imagine that it will likely make retaining control more difficult as compared to original 18 inchers.

Quote:
Is it worse than your previous tyres? I could feel remarkable improvement in noise with UC6 especially on the concrete road stretches of nice road where the Bridgestone used to give an irritating 'hum' at speeds.
I hardly experienced original tyres during a couple of test drives and another low speed high traffic drive from showroom to tyre shop after taking the delivery for exchange of wheels and tyres. So I can't really compare them in terms of noise levels. Good point about taking it to concrete roads, will do it. I haven't driven it much so far.
Old 15th September 2023, 01:01   #817
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post

Further I had to pass through a very bad 10 km stretch - bad road, significantly muddy areas due to land slides previous week etc. It was more like mild off-roading.

Tyres performed very well. No punctures or side wall issues as well, held the road well enough.
Update on UC6:

As of now, I have completed at least 6 (probably more) trips to Himalayas on UC6 on Ford Aspire 1.5 AT (DCT). I have driven more than 10K KMs on these tyres now.

UC6 do fabulously on all paved roads and give great confidence on wet roads including turns. Also, cabin is quieter than earlier (I shifted from XM2s that had become hard).

My only worry initially was bad village roads where I usually go for my excursions and with careful driving, I have had no issues (till last trip).

This time I was in a scarcely populated Sural Village in Uttrakhand.
One day, I decided to go to KainchiDham and instead of taking longer main highway, went through a narrow less maintained kuchha road.

However, road went from bad to worse fairly quickly, probably due to recent rains! Albeit plus point was beautiful views, untouched by humans!

There was a narrow (yet almost car length width) stream crossing midway (no road, only rocks). I think the tyre sidewall took a very small cut there (but that road with significant rocky patches was such that any other tyre could have met similar fate).

However, fortunately the cut was negligible (I have to search hard to find it) and I completed the whole trip including truly off-road patches (comparable to the one's I did during Leh trip last year on XM2s albeit much smaller in length) thru that 2 hours trip to KainchiDham.

Well, I actually drove fair bit on tough terrains and very steep inclines even after that cut (because I didn't notice it earlier and even after noticing found it negligible) without any issues. This included a trip to Mukteshwar Dham as well.

The tyres definitely have a softer compound which shows in the grip they offer and also comfort they offer (even on bad roads).

Overall it has been a good buy and the 2 years "unconditional" warranty will also get tested when I go to dealer to get them checked.

Cheers!

Last edited by RDS : 15th September 2023 at 01:05.
RDS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 17:09   #818
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post
Update on UC6:

As of now, I have completed at least 6 (probably more) trips to Himalayas on UC6 on Ford Aspire 1.5 AT (DCT). I have driven more than 10K KMs on these tyres now.

UC6 do fabulously on all paved roads and give great confidence on wet roads including turns. Also, cabin is quieter than earlier (I shifted from XM2s that had become hard).

The tyres definitely have a softer compound which shows in the grip they offer and also comfort they offer (even on bad roads).
Cheers!
RDS, from what I understand here, UC6 are probably quieter than XM2 but in a like-to-like comparison when both tyres are brand new, which tyre you will pick and why? Additionally, would you say that XM2 sidewalls are firmer than UC6? I am an old user of XM1 and XM2 and can't see other tyres beating them in comfort. UC6 sound promising but I don't want to change for a heck of a change. Your thoughts?

Last edited by navin : 20th September 2023 at 17:10. Reason: spelling, grammar, typos.
Old 20th September 2023, 20:31   #819
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticHermit View Post
RDS, from what I understand here, UC6 are probably quieter than XM2 but in a like-to-like comparison when both tyres are brand new, which tyre you will pick and why? Additionally, would you say that XM2 sidewalls are firmer than UC6? I am an old user of XM1 and XM2 and can't see other tyres beating them in comfort. UC6 sound promising but I don't want to change for a heck of a change. Your thoughts?
In my case, XM2s had become significantly hard (probably due to less use during Covid timeframe), and after my Leh Ladakh trip were not usable any longer.

XM2s served me very well however one change I did with UC6 was a 1 size upgrade that made the car stable and better.

I think both tyres are similar in the kind of ride quality they offer. There indeed is a possibility that sidewall of XM2 is slightly better although I can't say with 100% surety.

If one has driven XM2s thru tough terrains, one should be able to do the same with UC6 as well.
You do need some finesse when you are on softer tyres and need to go through Zojila or Khardungla Pass - better to avoid sharp stones etc.

So I would suggest to go with UC6 only when you need to. But, if there is a need to change and one likes XM2s, one won't go wrong with UC6.
RDS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 13:05   #820
BHPian

Put UC6 on my Baleno 2022. It had the standard Apollo that Baleno comes with. I moved those to my other older Baleno. I definitely see an improvement in the ride and road noise. As I undertake some longer trips, I will be able to identify it more clearly. Will post an update. Got them for 7500/- a pop including balancing and alignment. Size was 195/55/R16.
Gupts007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 15:09   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
...An upgrade from 175 to 195 has increased the weight of the tyre by at least 2.5 Kg and that dynamically corresponds to 12.5 Kg at the speed 60 Kmph and above, thus effectively your car is now heavier by 50 kg when running at 60 Kmph!!!
Hi Chewbacca, excuse me for bringing up this is old post but could you please expand on this? 2.5 -> 12.5 -> 50kg @ 60kmph
Old 20th October 2023, 11:22   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroy92 View Post
Hi Chewbacca, excuse me for bringing up this is old post but could you please expand on this? 2.5 -> 12.5 -> 50kg @ 60kmph
The truth lies in the unsprung weight of the car, of which the wheel+tyre is a major contributor. This weight is NOT static like the rest of the car, it is dynamic and increases exponentially when it rotates at high RPM, think front-load washing machine. The lower the difference between it's static weight (at rest) vs dynamic weight (while driving), decides how much sooner the car can stop when brakes are applied. Think about all the cars crashing into the rear of trucks on highways which is often the case nowadays. A front end collision is a lesser probability as most highways now have a median.

There is a lot of misconception and misinformation in the minds of car owners about the size of their wheels. The aftermarket allow wheel shops and tyre dealers are ill-informed or ignorant of the risks they pose by ill-advising owners to upsize. Unfortunately many of our elite breed of Team-BHPians believe that the car manufacturer usually stocks their cars with under-sized wheels and tyres as a cost-cutting measure and an upsize would facilitate in better grip and performance. Nothing can be so far from the truth The aftermarket dealers don't care a damn if upsizing would reduce performance and safety of the car, you see they would have to shut shop if the truth is disclosed !

Coming back to your query, I suggest you read this article
Click here
Chewbacca is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 13:27   #823
Senior - BHPian

Replaced my tyres on the Jeep Compass Trailhawk at 52.8K KMs. Stuck to stock size of 225/60/17

Bought the Continental Cross Contact AX6. Found them to be very impressive for highways considering its thread pattern can be used for mild off roading too.

Drove on the Continental Cross Contact AX6 yesterday. Did around 230 kms.
Must say was very impressed with the tyres.
Tyre pressure set at 35 psi all 4.
Tyre noise creeps in at around the 100 kmh and stays till 120 and then magically disappears at higher speed. I guess the higher wind noise may have masked it. Honestly the tyre noise is negligible.Light music or even a conversation with a co-passenger and you wouldn’t notice. For the thread pattern it has, this is very acceptable.
The grip levels are excellent and the ride is cushy.
Potholes are dealt with very well and you hardly hear the car thud over them. In High speed corners/bends the grip was really good and never felt any loss of control. Braking was also very good and no drama when you hit the brakes hard.
Considering these tyres will be able to do some mild off roading it is more than capable of fast and comfortable highway runs. Overall much better than the Stock Falkens. I am guessing this tyre maybe slightly heavier than the stocks so would not recommend upsizing.
Any one wants the off road/ highway balance, this will be a good choice. If you need just highway tyres with no off road focus the Conti Contact Sport 5 which I am running on my Mercedes continues to be the Gold standard for me.
Will try and do some mild off roading this week and then report.
Attached Thumbnails
Continental tyres-img_3936.jpeg  

Continental tyres-img_3935.jpeg  

Continental tyres-img_3934.jpeg  

Continental tyres-img_3933.jpeg  

Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 06:36   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupts007 View Post
Put UC6 on my Baleno 2022. It had the standard Apollo that Baleno comes with. I moved those to my other older Baleno. I definitely see an improvement in the ride and road noise. As I undertake some longer trips, I will be able to identify it more clearly. Will post an update. Got them for 7500/- a pop including balancing and alignment. Size was 195/55/R16.
An update- I can't be more happy with this decision to get the UC6 on the New Baleno. The ride on the unpaved roads feels so cushioned! The jarring is noticeably less. As mentioned before, the comfort on the paved roads is enhanced and the tyre noise is also less. Overall a winner for me so far. Long term experience is what remains to be seen now.
Gupts007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 17:11   #825
Senior - BHPian

I have to report I've been extremely disappointed with my Continental CC5. The main benefit of them seems to be that I get a lot of respect at tyre shops and mechanics who all have said these are the nicest tyres they've ever seen on an Indica.

But I've not felt any improvement in ride quality or comfort, and the grip, particularly wet grip is atrocious. In anything but gentle braking they lose grip, and their loss of grip is very abrupt. Given the indica doesn't have abs, it's even worse. Today I did a hard brake at 40 in wet conditions and lost traction. The Alto in front of me came to a stop without any drama.

I feel very unsafe driving around on them, and can't wait to get rid of them. Having to baby the brakes when you're driving around on supposedly great tires is very frustrating.

This was a local road, and I've been through this stretch several times, and never had this issue with my earth 1 or accelere. I had lost traction here with my Bridgestone s322 but that was a known crap tyre.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks