Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2023, 10:15   #736
Senior - BHPian
 
deathwalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 1,163
Thanked: 3,223 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Got UC6 for my t-jet yesterday. Initial feedback seems to be positive having changed from MRF Perfinzas which gave me abysmal life.

9k a tyre. 205/55/16.

I have a long drive over to TN next week, would be good time to get a better idea about the tyres.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 18:47   #737
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,794
Thanked: 2,726 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Replaced Yoko Earth 1 (2015, 48K old) with UC6.
I have completed 5K Km in the last 5 months or so with the new set. These are the best tires I have used. The dry grip is amazing. The car feels heavy & ride is soft, smooth. Haven't got a chance to drive in wet conditions. Highly recommended.
msdivy is offline  
Old 5th May 2023, 16:34   #738
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 50 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Continental tyres

I have Elite i20 which got Yokohama BlueEarth 195/55 R16 at present, these are 3+ years old tyres & clocked approximately 30,000+ KM's so far.

Recently I have noticed uneven wear i.e. rubber is chipping out on inner layer of both the front tyres. I have visited tyre shop to check the wheel alignment which came out to be perfect. Had a discussion about this unusual wear issues with the shop owner since they predominantly sell Yokohama & Continental tyres. He said that this is expected from Yokohama BlueEarth tyres after 3+ years of usages & as per him this is a performance oriented tyres and may not last long.

He suggested to change the tyres as soon as possible as it's present state is not so good, and he recommended to go for Continental UltraContact UC6, he is quoting around 8.7K per tyre for 195/55 R16.

I'm looking for some feedback about these UC6 tyres from existing owners, is there any good alternative options available other than Michelin which is not easily available in the market.
Attached Thumbnails
Continental tyres-img20230430094013.jpg  

MathanK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 23:26   #739
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 52
Thanked: 180 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathanK View Post
I have Elite i20 which got Yokohama BlueEarth 195/55 R16 at present, these are 3+ years old tyres & clocked approximately 30,000+ KM's so far.

Recently I have noticed uneven wear i.e. rubber is chipping out on inner layer of both the front tyres. I have visited tyre shop to check the wheel alignment which came out to be perfect. Had a discussion about this unusual wear issues with the shop owner since they predominantly sell Yokohama & Continental tyres. He said that this is expected from Yokohama BlueEarth tyres after 3+ years of usages & as per him this is a performance oriented tyres and may not last long.
I am facing the exact same issue with my Earth-1s. Just posted about this today here
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/11239-tyre-warranty-claiming-7.html#post5542048"] (Tyre Warranty Claiming)

I think there is something wrong with the yoko rubber of that particular batch as my Earth-1s are also 3+ years. I am not buying the shop's excuse about the chipping being related to age on performance tyres. Mine are not and still have the same chipping on all 4 tyres.

Yokohoma has given us tyres which despite being maintained properly are not lasting beyond 4 years and no warranty for the same. And to top if off, i was told by the Yokohama technician that my tyres are safe to use whereas you are advised to change then instead
PrasadS is offline  
Old 6th May 2023, 06:27   #740
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,614
Thanked: 3,082 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasadS View Post
I am facing the exact same issue with my Earth-1s. Just posted about this today here
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/11239-tyre-warranty-claiming-7.html#post5542048"] (Tyre Warranty Claiming)

I think there is something wrong with the yoko rubber of that particular batch as my Earth-1s are also 3+ years.
I think this is a common phenomenon for tyres with more silicon content. I've seen this with Michelin XM2 as well after few years of aging. I'm not sure how much of this chipping is tolerable though.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 09:13   #741
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 52
Thanked: 180 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I think this is a common phenomenon for tyres with more silicon content. I've seen this with Michelin XM2 as well after few years of aging. I'm not sure how much of this chipping is tolerable though.
If true, then you've given me a far better and acceptable reason compared to the Yoko tech, who kept saying it's not the tyre but my improper usage on bad roads

Warranty and Yokohoma issues aside, i was thinking of upgrading to the UC6, but I was told by the dealer that even Continentals are prone to have chipping issues. I was not expecting this.
Can members who have used Continentals shed some light on this please.
PrasadS is offline  
Old 6th May 2023, 10:24   #742
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,614
Thanked: 3,082 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasadS View Post
Warranty and Yokohoma issues aside, i was thinking of upgrading to the UC6, but I was told by the dealer that even Continentals are prone to have chipping issues. I was not expecting this.
Can members who have used Continentals shed some light on this please.
I've recently switched my tyres from Bridgestone Turanza T001 215/55 R17 to Continental UC6 205/65 R16. I've been using it for a few weeks and love it. But, long term i expect this to chip like the Michelin XM2s as well since I'm sure these tyres have silicon in it. The other side is that i could see that your tread is close to 3mm from the looks of it ( correct me, if I'm wrong ) which is a good time to replace regardless of the chipping phenomenon. So maybe, tyre did serve you well close to its real life.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 12:34   #743
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 135
Thanked: 140 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathanK View Post

Recently I have noticed uneven wear i.e. rubber is chipping out on inner layer of both the front tyres. I have visited tyre shop to check the wheel alignment which came out to be perfect. Had a discussion about this unusual wear issues with the shop owner since they predominantly sell Yokohama & Continental tyres. He said that this is expected from Yokohama BlueEarth tyres after 3+ years of usages & as per him this is a performance oriented tyres and may not last long.

.
4 year old tyres, 25K on them. No such issue. These maybe symptoms of some other mechanical issue.
kotirajendra is offline  
Old 6th May 2023, 12:45   #744
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 50 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
4 year old tyres, 25K on them. No such issue. These maybe symptoms of some other mechanical issue.
It's possible, I have swapped the front to rear as not much such wear seen on rear tyres, this might help me to narrow down further
MathanK is offline  
Old 6th May 2023, 13:37   #745
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Leoshashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Posts: 5,673
Thanked: 41,808 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathanK View Post

I'm looking for some feedback about these UC6 tyres from existing owners, is there any good alternative options available other than Michelin which is not easily available in the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasadS View Post
I
Can members who have used Continentals shed some light on this please.
My erstwhile Michelin XM2s did have some chipping. I replaced the Michelins at 20k ODO(2 years) when I upgraded to 16" and since then have run 19k(in 1 year) on Continental UC6s. Both tyres saw similar abuse.

-No such chipping noticed on UC6s.
-Michelins had developed fine cracks when it was replaced, no such issue on Continentals.
-Conti UC6 is far quieter on cemented GT roads compared to erstwhile Michelins.

The UC6 takes the fight to Primacy 4ST I'd say, but without the fragility of Michelins. Wholeheartedly recommend the same.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Attaching the most recent pic of the Conti UC6s, after being used for 19k:

Continental tyres-20230223_195629.jpg

Last edited by Leoshashi : 6th May 2023 at 13:46. Reason: Adding pic
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 13:39   #746
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,614
Thanked: 3,082 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

-No such chipping noticed on UC6s.
-Michelins had developed fine cracks when it was replaced, no such issue on Continentals.
-Conti UC6 is far quieter on cemented GT roads compared to erstwhile Michelins.
This is reassuring!
The quiteness on concrete roads in the first few weeks of drive with the UC6 impressed me as well!
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 14:58   #747
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 52
Thanked: 180 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The other side is that i could see that your tread is close to 3mm from the looks of it ( correct me, if I'm wrong ) which is a good time to replace regardless of the chipping phenomenon. So maybe, tyre did serve you well close to its real life.
I was there overlooking the entire claim process. During tread measurement, i dug around and was told that Earth-1s come with 8.1mm tread on new tyres. All 4 of mine retain around 4.2 to 4.4mm which is more than 50% actually. So they still have a bit more time to go.
PrasadS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 17:06   #748
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 50 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathanK View Post
I'm looking for some feedback about these UC6 tyres from existing owners, is there any good alternative options available other than Michelin which is not easily available in the market.
Got UC6 for my Elite i20 3days back, paid 8.4k per tyre for 195/55/16.

Initial feedback seems to be excellent in city conditions.

I have a scheduled drive next week to Coonoor & Ooty, I will post my highway driving experience post that trip.
MathanK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 23:19   #749
BHPian
 
abhi_tjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Pune
Posts: 634
Thanked: 2,813 Times
Re: Continental tyres

With a mammoth puncture just before a day of 500km plus travel plan, I decided to change the tyres immediately. Checked with few usual shops and found that Darshan tyres, Baner(nearest from my place) had the stock of UC6 Continentals required for my Linea. Got them changed on Friday for ₹8400 per piece and completed the trip with full peace of mind. Alignment and balancing came free since I got all 4 tires changed.

Immediate feedback is that drive has became very silent and plush even on cemented roads. Dry grip on curve is nice too. I enjoyed a lot today in Tamhini.

The outgoing ones. Michelins served me beautifully. I would have gone with them blindly if not for the unavailablity. 5 and a half years - 60k kms
Continental tyres-img_5482.jpeg

New kid on the block with oem spec - 205/55 R16 All tyres have manufacturing of 0823
Continental tyres-img_5483.jpeg

Being balanced
Continental tyres-img_5480.jpeg

Fitted
Continental tyres-img_5484.jpeg

And aligned
Continental tyres-img_5485.jpeg

Last edited by abhi_tjet : 14th May 2023 at 23:22.
abhi_tjet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 10:14   #750
RDS
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 81
Thanked: 181 Times
Re: Continental tyres

I have now completed multiple trips to Himalayas on these tyres, at least 3, may be more.
My trips are usually to villages so naturally the roads are not good once I move away from highways.

I recommend UC6 tyres as they have offered me great performance on highways, city and village roads. Occasional mud, sharp U turns with steep inclines, kachha roads or just dusty lanes, they handled all this pretty convincingly.

No sidewall issues till now, reached home safe and sound. Safe driving also plays a role here.

Overall, good usually grippy performance. Dependable.
RDS is offline   (4) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks