Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
  Search this Thread
872,940 views
Old 4th July 2023, 15:09   #766
BHPian
 
driver52001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 128
Thanked: 291 Times
Re: Continental tyres

I have been running UC6 for 15,000 km. After a recent trip to Uttarakhand, saw a small cut on the tread. Have attached the pic. I can't make out the depth of this cut, probably made by a sharp stone. Should I be concerned, change this tyre? My finger's in the pic for size comparison of the cut.

Continental tyres-20230704_131636.jpg
driver52001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 15:25   #767
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Riyadh
Posts: 407
Thanked: 2,671 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver52001 View Post
I can't make out the depth of this cut, probably made by a sharp stone. Should I be concerned, change this tyre? My finger's in the pic for size comparison of the cut.
Do check this thread about the same topic on T-bhp for more clarity.

https://https://www.team-bhp.com/for...ix-change.html
NomadSK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 16:04   #768
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: pune
Posts: 2,385
Thanked: 2,595 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver52001 View Post
I can't make out the depth of this cut, probably made by a sharp stone.
Use blunt(thread) side of a sewing needle to measure depth of the cut. Compare it with tread depth on tyre.

Quote:
Should I be concerned, change this tyre?
Decide based on depth of cut and if tyre is holding air pressure well or not.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 17:12   #769
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Vijayawada, Hyd
Posts: 4
Thanked: 2 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
So finally changed all 4 tyres on my Rapid TSI.

Which Tyres: Continental Comfort Contact (CC6)
Size: Stock (185/60 R15)
Place: International Tyres, Indirapuram
Cost: 5200/Tyre including Alignment + Balancing. Also got Sensiary TPMS installed in the same cost.

Initial Impressions (Have driven ~1100 Kms till date)
Noise: Tyres are silent AF. I can hear the engine more these days. Still to drive on cemented highways but on tar roads the noise is negligible.
Comfort: More comfortable over the outgoing GY Duraplus. Not a very big change but small to medium potholes and rumble strips are a walk on the cake now.
Looks: Very average looks. Stock GY were better suited to these alloys as far as looks go.

Handling + Grip: This is where the bad part starts. I want to provide more details here so see if other CC6 users also felt/facing the same issue.
Initially right after the change grip was good but noise was a bit high. After 3-4 days of driving realized the air pressure was not right. (Yes Sensiary TPMS has an error budget of .3 - .5)

Hello,

I am on the lookout for a new set of shoes for my Rapid TSI (stock tyres clocked 32k and losing out of grip); prefer the OE size only. After some research, I have been thinking of going for the Conti CC6. Decent handling and low noise are the prime requirements.

Just came across this experience with the CC6 on Rapid.
Is this due to any particular reason in this case or is it the time the Conti's take to set in? Curious to know before I take a decision. Also, open to any suggestions on other brands/tyres that fit well for my needs.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th July 2023 at 11:05. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks.
gowtham_vgc is offline  
Old 9th July 2023, 00:59   #770
BHPian
 
ankitsharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: UP14, KA05, TS
Posts: 315
Thanked: 431 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowtham_vgc View Post
Hello,

I am on the lookout for a new set of shoes for my Rapid TSI (stock tyres clocked 32k and losing out of grip); prefer the OE size only. After some research, I have been thinking of going for the Conti CC6. Decent handling and low noise are the prime requirements.

Just came across this experience with the CC6 on Rapid.
Is this due to any particular reason in this case or is it the time the Conti's take to set in? Curious to know before I take a decision. Also, open to any suggestions on other brands/tyres that fit well for my needs.
Hey Gowtham,
The above experience was due to bad balancing and alignment done by the tire shop itself. After aligning in twice and a road force balancing from Madhus everything is back to normal.
I must say if you are after low noise, these are the tires to get. Excellent wet braking is a plus. Do note that the steering does get a bit lighter on these tires. Also they are very sensitive to air pressure inside as discussed multiple times on the forum.
Another worthy opponent I came across was Vredstein. They are good too and a lot of people have mentioned low noise as a characteristic.
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 13:41   #771
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Vijayawada, Hyd
Posts: 4
Thanked: 2 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Hey Gowtham,
The above experience was due to bad balancing and alignment done by the tire shop itself. After aligning in twice and a road force balancing from Madhus everything is back to normal.
I must say if you are after low noise, these are the tires to get. Excellent wet braking is a plus. Do note that the steering does get a bit lighter on these tires. Also they are very sensitive to air pressure inside as discussed multiple times on the forum.
Another worthy opponent I came across was Vredstein. They are good too and a lot of people have mentioned low noise as a characteristic.
Thanks for confirming Ankit. Just wondering how do the Yoko Earth 1 fare against the Contis?
gowtham_vgc is offline  
Old 9th July 2023, 14:46   #772
BHPian
 
ankitsharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: UP14, KA05, TS
Posts: 315
Thanked: 431 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowtham_vgc View Post
Thanks for confirming Ankit. Just wondering how do the Yoko Earth 1 fare against the Contis?
Yokohama Earth 1 are towards the harder side than Continentals. Though a lot of people are using it on their Rapid and swear by it.
I am running earth 1 on my other car and they are good as of today (~12K Kms). They are a bit noisy than Continentals though.
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 15:14   #773
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Vijayawada, Hyd
Posts: 4
Thanked: 2 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Yokohama Earth 1 are towards the harder side than Continentals. Though a lot of people are using it on their Rapid and swear by it.
I am running earth 1 on my other car and they are good as of today (~12K Kms). They are a bit noisy than Continentals though.
Understood, thanks for helping out. Happy miles ahead
gowtham_vgc is offline  
Old 13th July 2023, 21:05   #774
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Palakkad
Posts: 12
Thanked: Once
Re: Continental tyres

I'm Using a 2017 model Maruti Suzuki WagonR. It comes with stock Apollo Amazer 3G.
Now it's time to change the tyres.
I am confused between Continental UC6/CC6 and Bridgestone Sturdo.
The availability of Continental in my area is very limited and some tyre dealer told me that, now continental is not having the old quality and many defective tyres are coming from continental. Is this true? Anyone else got any quality issues from Continental tyres?
By giving preference to Comfort, Better dry&wet grip and Low road noise which will be the better choice? Conti UC6/CC6 or Bridgestone Sturdo?
Thanks
Happy Motoring
Wagonboy7662 is offline  
Old 25th July 2023, 10:45   #775
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Hey Folks,

Greetings !!!

In around mid-June 2023, I finally changed my Creta (2019) tires with Conti UC6 set along with a new set of Triton valves. Earlier stock tires were Goodyear triple Assurance. The size was 215/60 R 17 96H and I kept the same with the Conti also. I have been filling nitrogen in the tires since I bought the Creta.

Old tires had given me 40K traveling all over India on all kinds of roads excluding off-roading. I had noticed uneven fair wear and tear and sometimes slip due to torque.

Well, post-changing with Conti UC6 I have driven 2000 kms out of which 1200 kms were done on a road trip to Kerala and the rest were in and around Bengaluru. The following has been observed: -
- Road noise has reduced drastically and now I can hear the engine noise. The Creta has become more silent in the cabin.
- The road grip in wet and dry has improved drastically. Stopping distance has reduced. The wet grip is especially awesome when compared to old tires. The SUV remains planted even at 100kmph while braking and stays in control.
- Steering and handling have improved. Creta remains planted even at high speeds of 120 kmph and stays planted. It feels light but planted.
- The comfort has increased which had become hard with old tires.

I had the option of Michelin. The cost difference was not much but I liked the tread design of Conti UC6 which made me comfortable with it.

I am loving the new set of tires and plan longer trips.

Thanks and Happy and Safe motoring
Ashbee70 is offline  
Old 25th July 2023, 15:16   #776
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Palakkad
Posts: 12
Thanked: Once
Re: Continental tyres

Are continental tyres prone to puncture in village roads? I would like to get Conti UC6 for my WagonR and it run mostly on village roads and bad roads.
Wagonboy7662 is offline  
Old 27th July 2023, 09:41   #777
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 117
Thanked: 269 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagonboy7662 View Post
Are continental tyres prone to puncture in village roads? I would like to get Conti UC6 for my WagonR and it run mostly on village roads and bad roads.
I've a Baleno with UC6, and have driven over bad roads, no problem! If you're worried about punctures then get a harder tyre like MRFs!
lxskllr is offline  
Old 27th July 2023, 09:46   #778
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Palakkad
Posts: 12
Thanked: Once
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
I've a Baleno with UC6, and have driven over bad roads, no problem! If you're worried about punctures then get a harder tyre like MRFs!
Thanks.. How is your experience with Conti UC6 in terms of comfort and handling?
I'm not interested in MRF. I have only 2 options: BS Sturdo or UC6.
Wagonboy7662 is offline  
Old 27th July 2023, 10:06   #779
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 117
Thanked: 269 Times
Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagonboy7662 View Post
Thanks.. How is your experience with Conti UC6 in terms of comfort and handling?
I'm not interested in MRF. I have only 2 options: BS Sturdo or UC6.
Coming from MRF, I feel UC6 has definitely better in terms of comfort and handling. This is for typical Delhi roads and highway runs - mostly good roads.
lxskllr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 10:58   #780
BHPian
 
anantpoddar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Kolkata/Gurgaon
Posts: 127
Thanked: 217 Times
Re: Continental tyres

I recently changed my tyres to the Continental UC6 215/55/17 for my XUV300. The previous set of MRF Wanderer Ecotreads lasted for 60k km.

At INR 12k a piece in this size, the UC6 seemed pretty costly. However, they are worth every paisa I paid. I have driven them close to 7k kms in the last 6 months.

The already decent ride quality has improved even further. These tyres absorb Calcutta suburb potholes like butter.
Road noise has reduced significantly, wet and dry grip is excellent, and these tyres retain air pressure for much longer than my previous Ecotreads when new (within 1psi for upto 3-4 months). Also, I've observed significantly lower variation in temperature on the TPMS between cold tyre pressure and extended usage.

Overall, I'm pretty happy how these have turned out for my usage!

Something weird I noticed during the transition: while M&M recommended cold tyre pressure is 34 psi and the Ecotreads gave the best performance around 33psi, the UC6 perform best at 35 psi. I cannot understand why the ride quality and bump absorption is better at 35psi rather than at 34psi.
If any experienced members can enlighten me behind the logic, that would be great!
anantpoddar is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks