Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2015, 14:58   #571
Senior - BHPian

re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

What is the risk of running same brand but a different tread pattern on one tyre (P1 cinturato is available)?
I have Pirelli P6 on mine and for a week I had P600 due to a damaged tyre and non availability. Borrowed from a friend as P6 was not available. Tread of P6 is the blocks one while P600 is with v shaped tread. Difference I found was the V shaped tread makes more noise apart from that there was a big difference in breaking/going over water. ABS was locking up on on tyre then other thats because the P6 had more grip then P600. Handling was not much different on normal roads. If the tread design is kind of identical and tread left on it is same as rest then it won't effect much.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 09:43   #572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Hello people,

I have Pirelli P7 Cinturato 225/45R17 tyres on my Punto(its too big I know).

2 months back I hit a protruding stone at high speed and it damaged the tyre (there was a cut on the sidewall). I had patched it and put it on the rear. It was a risky move but was taken because of finanacial reasons(17inch branded tyres are ridiculously expensive)

Now, as feared, that patch is not holding air at the recommended pressure. I'm running on an odd sized puny stepney.

I want one tyre of the same spec but unable to find it in 4 reputed shops in Bengaluru. I didn't find it on changemytyre.com too.

What is the risk of running same brand but a different tread pattern on one tyre (P1 cinturato is available)?
After the above post, I found the tyre I was looking for on Snapdeal.com.
I was happy (and surprised at the same time) and ordered it. But they cancelled it after 4 days saying it is not in stock.
However they led me to the same tyre with another seller and took a second order. Then they cancelled that order too
Now I think I have no other option but to go for a different tyre.
I have decided to stick to the same brand and size

Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-p7-cinturato.jpg
P7 Cinturato
This is the current tyre and which is not available anywhere now.

Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-p1-cinturato.jpg
P1 Cinturato
A different tread pattern for sure, but when I checked Pirelli website, it has similar performance ratings as Cinturato P7

Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-p7.jpg
P7

Not in the Cinturato series, Not seen on Pirelli site, but available on changemytyre.com

I don't know which one I should go for.

Also one colleague of mine told me to use a tube on that patched up tyre and save a lot of money. I don't know how safe it is to use a tube.

Inputs from experts needed.
Old 13th February 2015, 09:53   #573
BHPian

My 0.02:

Have always been fan of Bridgestone's. Used the Turanza ER 60 on my Punto. Nice tyres but unfortunately discontinued.

Now have shifted to Turanza AR 20 and the experience so far has been good. I have always found Bridgestone to be a no fuss tyre. The only grudge I have against AR 20 is that visually they look small. The ER 60's, with the so called "double sidewall protection design", looked much meatier and sporty. Fellow Punto owners used to ask me if I have upsized while I was running the ER 60's. Now with the AR 20 the reaction is "Tyre looks small!"
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 17:34   #574
BHPian

My Punto recently suffered 11, yes 11 punctures at once on the front left tyre while coming back from Pune. I got the punctures fixed and visited my local tyre shop who assured me that so many punctures on a single tyre won't cause any problem. He suggested shifting the front tyre to the rear to offset the weight of the engine on the tyre which I did.

I'd appreciate inputs from fellow BHPians on this. Should I replace the tyre or is it okay to continue with the existing one?

As for the 11 punctures:

This was most likely a scam. The patch of road from Wakad towards the Expressway was rough, and while driving a couple of guys on a bike pointed to the right tyre as if to suggest it was punctured. Ironically, about a hundred meters ahead lay a Puncture repair shop who prompty started inspecting the front left and found 11 punctures with small nails in them. What was even more ironic was that the front right looked absolutely normal and upon inspection, it didn't have any punctures. This led to us believing that this could be a scam. I'm not directly accusing, but this seemed fairly straight.

A word of caution for fellow travelers across that stretch to look out for possible scams like these.
Old 19th February 2015, 09:50   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekE View Post
I'd appreciate inputs from fellow BHPians on this. Should I replace the tyre or is it okay to continue with the existing one?
IMHO, the tyre should be replaced if the punctures are on the sidewall too. If possible use the spare in place of the punctured tyre if the spare is also of the same size as the actual tyre. Whats the OEM tyre make on the Punto? Is it Apollo Aceleres?

It surely looks like a scam probably orchestrated by the puncture guys in collision with a few other people.
Old 19th February 2015, 14:44   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
IMHO, the tyre should be replaced if the punctures are on the sidewall too. If possible use the spare in place of the punctured tyre if the spare is also of the same size as the actual tyre. Whats the OEM tyre make on the Punto? Is it Apollo Aceleres?
The tyres are Punto's stock 195/60 R15 while the spare is the puny 165/80 R14. As for the sidewall damage, it did not suffer any, so is it safe to continue with this?
Old 19th February 2015, 14:50   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekE View Post
As for the sidewall damage, it did not suffer any, so is it safe to continue with this?
If I were you I would budget the tyre for the coming days. You could check for a fortnight or may be a month to observe for any significant drop in the tyre pressure. With so many punctures, the integrity of the tyres is already compromised.
Old 1st March 2015, 02:10   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
If I were you I would budget the tyre for the coming days. You could check for a fortnight or may be a month to observe for any significant drop in the tyre pressure. With so many punctures, the integrity of the tyres is already compromised.
Hi I took your advice and checked the tyre pressure after a gap of 15 days and it showed no drop in pressure.

I think I'll stick with this for a while as I've not faced any issue after the puncture repair. Thanks for your help.
Old 6th March 2015, 14:11   #579
BHPian

Guys,

I see that one of my JK stock tire has a slight bulge, is it time to change the tire's? It's 3 years old and have done 30,000 KMS
Old 23rd March 2015, 17:53   #580
BHPian

Hey all,
My current set (Yokohama A-Drive 185/70/R14 88H on rims) has done close to 50K & I am currently looking into upsizing to

1) 15" S-Drive (195/55/R15 85V) (getting quotes of ~5.5K/tyre)
2) 15" A-Drive (195/60/R15 88H)

My primary question is ~are 15" 100PCD rims available for the Punto? I'd love to stay with the rims as with my spirited driving & my frequent forest sojourns, it is easier to deal with bends rather than cracked alloys. But if rims aren't available, I could stretch & get those MOMO rims I've always wanted.
Old 31st March 2015, 12:32   #581
Distinguished - BHPian

Please dont install 195/55-15 on a Punto. They are too low profile and your ride will suffer. Stick to 195/60-15.

Punto has 98PCD rims. Dont try force-installing 100PCD rims on your car. This could result in a catastrophic failure at high speeds.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 13:01   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshanker View Post
Hey all,
My current set (Yokohama A-Drive 185/70/R14 88H on rims) has done close to 50K & I am currently looking into upsizing to

1) 15" S-Drive (195/55/R15 85V) (getting quotes of ~5.5K/tyre)
2) 15" A-Drive (195/60/R15 88H)

My primary question is ~are 15" 100PCD rims available for the Punto? I'd love to stay with the rims as with my spirited driving & my frequent forest sojourns, it is easier to deal with bends rather than cracked alloys. But if rims aren't available, I could stretch & get those MOMO rims I've always wanted.
As Nikhil said, do not use 100PCD Rims. I had HRS 15inch 100+98PCD rims and even they gave lot of headache.

If you're a "spirited" driver then get Linea steel rims and Linea Active wheelcaps, 999 for rim and 352 for wheelcap each. Cheap, fixable, if its bent too much then chuck it and get a new one. Doesnt look bad either

Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-bku8xxc.jpg

There was an offer for Punto Grey alloys at Rs 4990 each, thats 2000 off MRP each alloy and brings total cost to 20K. However offer ends today, do check with your local Fiat ASS.

Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-ahu4x41mfztw3hcv6go7qn6tqu9abmdvcs55jxg2ewhp.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 15:25   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Please dont install 195/55-15 on a Punto. They are too low profile and your ride will suffer. Stick to 195/60-15.

Punto has 98PCD rims. Dont try force-installing 100PCD rims on your car. This could result in a catastrophic failure at high speeds.
Thanks for that Nikhil~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
As Nikhil said, do not use 100PCD Rims. I had HRS 15inch 100+98PCD rims and even they gave lot of headache.

If you're a "spirited" driver then get Linea steel rims and Linea Active wheelcaps, 999 for rim and 352 for wheelcap each. Cheap, fixable, if its bent too much then chuck it and get a new one. Doesnt look bad either

There was an offer for Punto Grey alloys at Rs 4990 each, thats 2000 off MRP each alloy and brings total cost to 20K. However offer ends today, do check with your local Fiat ASS.
Thanks SunnyBoi. I was looking at the Linea Steel rims. It just came back up for sale on 99rpm & was wondering if it would fit the bill. I was in two minds whether to switch to alloys or just stay back on the rims.
Given the tyre choice & my style of driving, I think I'm gonna go back to the rims.
Old 2nd April 2015, 14:36   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshanker View Post

Thanks SunnyBoi. I was looking at the Linea Steel rims. It just came back up for sale on 99rpm & was wondering if it would fit the bill. I was in two minds whether to switch to alloys or just stay back on the rims.
Given the tyre choice & my style of driving, I think I'm gonna go back to the rims.
Buy the rims from FASS. You'll have to pay Rs200 shipping per rim if you buy from 99rpm. Thats Rs800 in savings.
Old 11th May 2015, 16:28   #585
BHPian

Hi Guys, I bought a pre owned Punto MJD(Emotion Pack) with 43k on odo at that time. The owner before me changed the front two tyres with same GY GT3 at 40k kms. Now at 48k kms rear tyres are about to loose all the treads. Now, i am in a big confusion whether I can put current front tyres to rear and buy new pair of tyres for front. Can this be done with a different brand of tyres or i need to change all four tyres at this stage?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks