Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 14:52   #421
BHPian

re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

If you could manage to bend the OE alloys, I won't be surprised if the chinese imports last you not more than a couple of months. I've been driving on horrid roads for the past 30K kms out of the 40K my car has done so far. And trust me the OE rims are of sturdy build.
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:21   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishdes View Post
Heres my conundrum.

Well, not really. I have two bent alloys from my 2009 Grande Punto Emotion Pack. I put new Yokohama dBs recently (about 6 months back). When I visited my tyre vendor yesterday to repair a puncture, I realised I had bent front alloys. Don't ask me how that happened (blame it on my driving or blame it on the Bangalore roads).

Now I have two options. Either go for OE alloys and replace the 2 OR go for a set of 4 shiny (or matt-ey) new alloys given my lack of trust on FIAT OE alloys (Afterall, how rash can one be to bend two wheels?).

Can anyone pray tell me a good place to get 98 PCD alloys in Bangalore and also what brand/s should I go for and how much it should cost?

Thanks in advance,
Hi Vish,
Sounds like a repeat of my story

I have a June 2009 ride and I managed to break the front left alloy last August and bend 2 more on a trip to Chikmaglur.
Came back and got Satya (Evo) to help me out with 98 PCD stuff. I got a set of 5 EVO alloys.

Alternatively, there are ways of fixing your bent alloys. Visit A1 tyres near Ashoka Pillar. Ilyas is the person who can help. He even has stock of GP alloys (I sold off mine to him as well).

If you want aftermarket stuff, you can check out at Evo/A1.

happy & safe driving.
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:22   #423
BHPian

I had changed my Punto's tires around 3K kms ago, from the factory fitted Goodyear ones to Yokohama C Drives. Overall impression is quite good - reduced noise, greater grip levels (dry and wet) and better ride. However, now, after using these for three thousand Kms, I noticed that the front RHS one has developed a crack as well as a bulging.

The concern is whether Yokohama would treat it as a manufacturing defect and replace the tire.
- I am pretty sure that I haven't heard any sound of any rocks hitting the tire, but obviously, cannot be cent percent sure on this.
- The crack that has developed, somehow doesn't look like one that was caused by bad roads or a stone - please correct me if I am wrong here.

In the picture, the crack is by the side of the alloy wheel, towards the right side. The bulging is towards the left side of the image, above "KO".
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-yokohamacrackimage.jpg  

Last edited by devansn : 23rd August 2012 at 15:24. Reason: Added crack and bulge locations
Old 23rd August 2012, 17:49   #424
BHPian

That's an impact damage devansn. If you demount the tire from the rim, at the exact spot of the bulge you're more likely than not to find a cut on the inside of the tire. Caused by hitting a pothole / kerb / speed breaker at fairly high speed. It can be one of several reasons.

Last edited by WasavaTyres : 23rd August 2012 at 18:02.
Old 23rd August 2012, 19:32   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
That's an impact damage devansn. If you demount the tire from the rim, at the exact spot of the bulge you're more likely than not to find a cut on the inside of the tire. Caused by hitting a pothole / kerb / speed breaker at fairly high speed. It can be one of several reasons.
Thanks WasavaTyres!

So you mean to say that the crack may not be such a big issue? Actually the tire dealer was quite positive that I can use it with the crack, but I did not want to take chance. What about the bulging but? C Drives have a very thin and soft side wall, really. At the time of buying this set of tires, the dealer told me that there are absolutely no problems with C Drives, though. Got additional doses of confidence from people like epicenter.rules as well...

If at all Yokohama doesn't honour the warranty, I should change the tire right? Whats your take?
Old 23rd August 2012, 21:59   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn

Thanks WasavaTyres!

So you mean to say that the crack may not be such a big issue? Actually the tire dealer was quite positive that I can use it with the crack, but I did not want to take chance. What about the bulging but? C Drives have a very thin and soft side wall, really. At the time of buying this set of tires, the dealer told me that there are absolutely no problems with C Drives, though. Got additional doses of confidence from people like epicenter.rules as well...

If at all Yokohama doesn't honour the warranty, I should change the tire right? Whats your take?
The bulge is a cause for worry. Technically it is unsafe as there are chances of a rupture, so be safe and go for a new tyre. As for C-Drive's they are good tyres, I have yoko V550's on my car, the right rear has a similar bulge that was acquired while on a drive between chennai & hyderabad. Noticed a pothole too late. These things happen, there are limits to what a tyre can take.
Old 29th August 2012, 12:20   #427
BHPian

Just wondering. Has anyone gone for 17" tyres on Punto? And are alloys available in that size in 98PCD?
Old 29th August 2012, 15:12   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Just wondering. Has anyone gone for 17" tyres on Punto? And are alloys available in that size in 98PCD?
You can check this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...p-punto-2.html

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 23:47   #429
BHPian

My 2010 Punto Emotion which has 175/70/R14 sized Bridgestone stock tyres - B250 are due for change (done 52k and still good for another 3K).
I am very happy with Bridgestones (durability on our roads, longevity and puncture free) but need suggestion if there is a better Bridgestone model to go for (like the ER60 or something) or any other brand.

Let me tell you that i drive normally with a heavy foot and tendancy to go hard on corners and turns (courtesey Punto's handling) and with only 1 puncture so far, so very satisfied with Bridgestomnes.

Pls suggest.
Old 20th September 2012, 02:02   #430
BHPian

Need help with set of tyres for my Punto emotion which has standard fitment of 175/70/R14 Bridgestone B250 model.

I waited for advice on Team-bhp but went ahead with width increase to 185/70/R14 Bridgestone ER60 Turanza (better tyre than B250)

Now my car's dynamics are not the same. It looses stability / skids on zig-zag / turns beyond 70 km/hr, which was not the case earlier with B250.
Also braking is spongy now.

ER60 is a better tyre than B250, but then why this behaviour.

The only reason i dumped B250 was bcoz of road noise but experiencing skids / less brake impact with ER60, i intend to roll back to B250s.

Need suggestions as to what could be the reason.

Will loose some money on 500 kms run ER60s
Old 20th September 2012, 02:08   #431
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post

Need suggestions as to what could be the reason.

Will loose some money on 500 kms run ER60s
New tyres generally have a coating which can last about that long. Let them run some more and the grip will come properly. Wait until 1000kms or so, I'm sure you will change your mind.
Old 20th September 2012, 02:12   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
New tyres generally have a coating which can last about that long. Let them run some more and the grip will come properly. Wait until 1000kms or so, I'm sure you will change your mind.
Hi Akshay,
Thanks but also the car makes thud sound on potholes now with ER60.
I checked with a tyre dealer and he told me that ER60 rubber is harder as compared to B250 ... any idea on this aspect?

Moreover, do you think that increase in circumfrence could be the reason for loosing composure now.
Old 20th September 2012, 10:24   #433
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
Hi Akshay,
Thanks but also the car makes thud sound on potholes now with ER60.
I checked with a tyre dealer and he told me that ER60 rubber is harder as compared to B250 ... any idea on this aspect?

Moreover, do you think that increase in circumfrence could be the reason for loosing composure now.
Have you checked the tyre pressure after upgrading? Try keeping it at 30psi. The thud that has started is probably due to higher pressure.

The ER60 rubber is a bit hard, and they are tough tyres. But I find it hard to believe that the B250s were better.

The increase in circumference is minor, and wouldn't really affect the composure at the speed you tried corners at.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 16:29   #434
BANNED

I have replaced my stock Good year tyres with Yokohama DB 550 tyres 4 nos last month (Punto 90 HP Emotion Pack). During a recent drive, from my native to Chennai, I noticed that my car is giving an average of 24.5 Kms per litre at highway. Earlier I was getting around 18 to 19 Kms as average per litre.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-mileage1.jpg  

Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-mileage2.jpg  

Old 21st September 2012, 11:24   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by accentgiri View Post
I have replaced my stock Good year tyres with Yokohama DB 550 tyres 4 nos last month.I noticed that my car is giving an average of 24.5 Kms per litre at highway.Earlier I was getting around 18 to 19 Kms as average per litre.
That must be on account of odometer reading changes.
The Goodyear's would've been 195/60/R15 and I assume the Decibel V550's you have now are 205/60/R15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks