Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:43   #331
BHPian

re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Go for the Goodyear Assurance Fuelmax. It's been launched in metro cities this month. You can locate a dealer near you by going through their website.

Goodyear India Limited
Old 30th September 2011, 20:24   #332
Senior - BHPian

What's the usual life of the stock GT3 tyres on the MJD Emotion Pack ( 195/60R15 ). Are the owners getting at least 40K km out of it or lesser ?
Old 30th September 2011, 22:28   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
What's the usual life of the stock GT3 tyres on the MJD Emotion Pack ( 195/60R15 ). Are the owners getting at least 40K km out of it or lesser ?
You can expect a life of 40K kms on the GT3 if driven sanely.

The more the ride on concrete roads, the faster the wear and tear on the tyre.
Old 30th September 2011, 22:42   #334
BHPian

I've done 42k till now and will have to change them around the 45k mark.
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:23   #335

Mine run for 39k this Sunday. May run max for another 1K as they have started developing spots. Although there are no vibrations in the steering still but then doesn't make sense to push it with them. Afterall safety is primary.
Old 10th October 2011, 18:33   #336
BHPian

Hi Team,

Was in the service center for the 45,000 kms service , some dude overheard my conversation about wheels and offered me a deal .

He has a Punto active, 40,000 Kms run , he bought some alloy wheels to play , which he is now selling , following is the spec , let me know if this is a good buy .

Wheels : Skyy 98 PCD
Wheel Size : R14 : 195/65 Yokohoma tyres .
Total Run : 1000 Kms

PRice : 20,000 all inclusive for 5 wheels .

Please let me know if this is worth it .
Old 10th October 2011, 22:43   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_rider View Post
Hi Team,

Was in the service center for the 45,000 kms service , some dude overheard my conversation about wheels and offered me a deal .

He has a Punto active, 40,000 Kms run , he bought some alloy wheels to play , which he is now selling , following is the spec , let me know if this is a good buy .

Is it including the tyres? If not, not worth 20K
Old 11th October 2011, 09:32   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Team,

Its not clear from your post if the 20k is for the alloys+tyres.

if its just alloys its slightly overpriced i would say for used alloys(5 new ones will cost around 20k)
New tyres would cost approximately 16k for 5 tyres of that size.
So, If it is alloys +1k kms run tyres, its a good price.
But in the end, check the condition of both the alloys and the tyres before deciding.
Old 11th October 2011, 11:24   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Is it including the tyres? If not, not worth 20K
Yes , it includes tires [ Yokohoma ]
Old 11th October 2011, 11:41   #340
Senior - BHPian

what is the reason for sale ?
20k for tires + alloys sounds fishy , Check properly for alloy bent/damage and wobbling issue if you decide to go for it.
Old 11th October 2011, 18:05   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
what is the reason for sale ?
20k for tires + alloys sounds fishy , Check properly for alloy bent/damage and wobbling issue if you decide to go for it.
Thanks MS : i was wondering the same.
Will check it out this Friday .
Old 11th October 2011, 19:16   #342
BHPian

I'm going to need new tyres real soon now. Can someone recommend a set of no nonsense tyres. The one thing I loved about the stock tyres was how puncture resistant they seemed. I'd like something with a strong sidewall and that can take bad roads easily. Nothing flimsy please. Thanks
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 02:41   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Team,

20Quids for a Mis-match tyre config - You're having a Larf !!!

In my honest opinion the profile is incorrect , if you are finking to
shove those R14's with 195/65 tyres then you might as well fit
something thats by the book
1. 185/70 /R14 is the right size instead of 195 / 65 R14
2. 195/60/ R15 (stock FIAT Profile) highly recommended & vouch for it
as i have them on my ride, the 1.2 active !

Honestly , just drop that idea & the deal like a bad habit,
& save on that 20K wisely

Cheers
TND

Last edited by torqueyTND : 17th October 2011 at 02:46. Reason: typos
Old 17th October 2011, 03:07   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
The one thing I loved about the stock tyres was how puncture resistant they seemed.
By stock tyre i am only assuming GT3 by goodyear ,
i think those are reported to be noiser but it does the job.
Theres no tyre make which can guarantee - puncture resistant !
Many Gt3's owners must have made atleast one visit to a local tyre wala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
I'd like something with a strong sidewall and that can take bad roads easily. Nothing flimsy please.
hmm be indian by indian -- apollo acelere its worthit
instead C drive asymmetric tread are totally VFM
but bit soft compound but will last
better than michelin's

cheers
TND
Old 19th October 2011, 13:00   #345
BHPian

Bigger sized tyre for Punto Active

Hi All,

I own a Punto Mjet Active and for quite some time now, have been toiling with the idea of using bigger tyres after the current OEM JK Tornado's are worn out. This is because Punto does not have a very good Ground clearance as it has the engine guard plate which is placed low under the car and also has a long nose which poses a problem when encountering slopes. The long wheelbase, as compared to other hatches also poses a problem when moving over inclines which have a triangular head. I am a careful driver and know how to tackle huge bumps, etc. However, there are situations when all this does not help and the car gets scraped in its underbelly. I am fed up the roads and as I do not have any control on the roads and the unpredictable potholes, I feel like giving my car bigger shoes so that it does not hurt itself. I have read about the pros and cons of having higher side profile / lower side profile, fatter tyres / leaner tyres in terms of the contact patch etc.

This is what I have learnt -

Higher or more side profile - The tyres would be able to absorb more of the shocks transmitted by potholes and bad roads. Advised for Indian roads.
However, there is more chance of sidewall cut due to bad roads / pebbles / stones.
Lower or smaller side profile - The car feels as if it is riding on rails. Car is more planted & body rolling is reduced. However, the disadvantage is that tyres do not absorb much of the shocks transmitted by potholes and bad roads. Might affect the suspension setup as more shocks are transmitted to the suspension.

More contact Patch - 195 section, 205 section etc - Provides more grip to the car. Allows for more control on the car during spirited drives. However, the steering might feel havier and the mileage would get reduced due to more friction on the tyres. Looks better on cars.
Less contact Patch - 165 section, 155 section etc - Less grip on the road, lesser control during spirited drives. Steering feels lighter and mileage is not affected. Does not look too good on cars.

However, even after going through the information regarding using bigger tyres, having bigger overall diameter, I am unable to decide on what to do. This is what I understand -

Advantages -
1> A bigger radius tyre would increase the ground clearance by the same measure as the difference between the stock tyre radius and the bigger tyre radius
2> The car would cover mode distance with less work done by the engine. Car would be at a higher speed at a lower RPM.
3> For the same amount of diesel, the car would cover more distance. Of course, during city drives, this might not be observed as the engine would have to exert more for turning the bigger tyres. However, on highway runs, this would save on fuel. I am more of a highway guy, don't use the car much inside the city.

Disadvantages -
1> Bigger turning radius - The car would need a bigger radius to turn. For tight spots, this might pose a problem.
2> Speedometer error - The speedo would show a lesser speed when the car is travelling at a higher speed. All the functions of the tripmeter on the Punto would get affected (For example - distance covered, distance to empty, speed, mileage, etc)
3> The car would get more sluggish on bumper to bumper traffic and would sip more fuel as it needs to turn a bigger tyre.
4> As the car is riding higher now, the stability is compromised. Body roll would also increase.
5> The tyre might touch the inner walls of the wheel well when tackling bumps or when fully loaded.

From my point of view and my driving style and my highway usage, I feel that going for bigger tyres should not be a problem. For sure, the number of potholes & huge bumps is very less on highways as compared to inside cities. However, there are situations where a higher gc helps. Moreover, I am a very sedate driver. On open highways, I never stretch beyond 100 km/hr. Thus, would request everyone to pool in with their comments so that even if I don't upgrade to bigger tyres, I am able to convince myself that sticking to the stock size or a little above it, is the right decision.

Stock Tyre - 165/80/R14 Radius - 309.8 mm
Upgrade - 195/65/R15 Radius - 317.2 mm Difference in radius is +2.38 %
Bridgestone B250

I am aware that it is recommended that the tire size difference while upgrading should not exceed more than 2% when upgrading from stock.
So, would it be ok if I go for Upgrade - Bridgestone B250 195/65/R15 ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks