Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 02:34   #571
BHPian

hi navneet. if you planning to stick to stock steel rims then stick to 155/70R 13 as the stock steel rims are 4J rims and stock tyres (155/70) are infact oversized for the same. go for 165/65 R13 only if you planning on using alloys of 4.5J or 5.0J. this is my suggestion.
Old 7th June 2010, 16:36   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navneet View Post
One of the tyres on my Santro has got damaged. Other four tyres are good for another 5 - 6K km. Car has done approx 45000 km. The tyres are original and stock (with tube) running on original stock steel rims. I am planning to buy one Michelin 165/65R-13 XM1+, mounted on the stock steel rim (tubeless) to be used as spare tyre. I will be running the car on the four original tyres for 5000-6000 km and will change the other tyres too to Michelin 165/65R-13 XM1+ when the need arises.
Is the plan OK? Or is there a better way to go about solving the dillema I am in? Please help.
-Navneet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullal_h View Post
hi navneet. if you planning to stick to stock steel rims then stick to 155/70R 13 as the stock steel rims are 4J rims and stock tyres (155/70) are infact oversized for the same. go for 165/65 R13 only if you planning on using alloys of 4.5J or 5.0J. this is my suggestion.
Ullal, using 165/65 R13 on stock rims is completely safe. One size up is ok.
Old 9th June 2010, 19:49   #573
BHPian

Hello,

I went through this thread and got some useful info. It's time to change tyres on my 5 years old (40K kms done) Santro. Need some more info:

1) Is stock size (155/70 R13) still the best if I don't want to go for an upsize? I got this confusion because a lot of people moved to 165/65 and got really nice results in terms of ride & handling. Am I correct in understanding that if I go for good alloys & stock size tubeless tyres, I'm supposed to be getting the best possible ride, while keeping the handling level same?

2) Any one in Hyderabad who can suggest a good tyre/wheel shop?

3) Apparently Michelin XM1 is the best option for both stock size & 165/65?

4) What's the recommended alloy brand as of today?

Thanks a lot!
Old 9th June 2010, 23:49   #574
Distinguished - BHPian

1). 155/70 R13 is the best for comfort. 165/65 R13 will result in a wider contact patch resulting in better handling but lower ground clearance(not too much of an issue) and worse ride comfort( this is not good. The Santro first of all has a bouncy suspension).

2). Ashoka Wheels is supposed to be decent.

3). You cant go wrong with the XM1+.

4). Alloy wheels are available in many brands. Some are cheap Chinese makes and will be much cheaper but wont last too long. Some like SSW, Konig, Lenso, Apollo Acelere wheelz are a little pricey but worth it. They make up for it in quality of the wheel, the paint finish, etc...
Old 10th June 2010, 11:31   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
1). 155/70 R13 is the best for comfort. 165/65 R13 will result in a wider contact patch resulting in better handling but lower ground clearance(not too much of an issue) and worse ride comfort( this is not good. The Santro first of all has a bouncy suspension).

4). Alloy wheels are available in many brands. Some are cheap Chinese makes and will be much cheaper but wont last too long. Some like SSW, Konig, Lenso, Apollo Acelere wheelz are a little pricey but worth it. They make up for it in quality of the wheel, the paint finish, etc...
I happened to pass by the ministers road today (before I read your reply here) and I think I did take a glance at ashoka wheels (couldn't stop because I was in a hurry to reach office). The collection seemed good and extensive.

Any other references of wheel/tyre dealers in Hyd are welcome (preferably in madhapur, gachibowli, jubilee/banjara hills areas).

Nikhilb2008, thanks for your inputs.
Old 11th June 2010, 16:08   #576
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm using a 2005 Dec model Santro Xing XO and the car has done around 29000 kms. Though the tyres have not taken much beating, I'm thinking of changing my tyres to tubeless ones. Also I'm willing to put alloy wheels. What is the correct upsize for the Santro considering comfort levels (I don't want the ride to be further bumpy) and better handling? Also is it advisable to fit 14" alloys? If yes what should be the recommended tyre size and which brand should I go for? I have heard a lot about Apollo Acelere wheels as well as tyres. Is it good and reliable enough?
Old 11th June 2010, 16:20   #577
Distinguished - BHPian

Please go through the thread. Your query has been answered many many times over.
Old 16th June 2010, 12:43   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

Thank you. Need little more information before I go ahead. Spoke to Ashoka Wheels on phone. They have

1) XM1+ in stock. 2800 per tyre.

2) He is recommending Neo & Plati for alloys. He doesn't have SSW & Lenso in 13". Which among Neo & Plati would you recommend? Prices (for a set of 5) would be 14,000 (Plati) and 15,000 (Neo).

Please suggest alloy brand (neo vs. plati) and also let me know if the prices seem alright. Also, is there anything I need to make sure that he is putting the alloys of correct specifications. Sorry, not familiar with technical specs of alloys yet.

Thanks a lot!
Old 16th June 2010, 23:02   #579
BHPian

both neo and plati are cheap chinese makes. neo sells by simply labelling themselves as ARAI certified. they import chinese alloys and rebadge them. the safest bet for santro would be HRS [hi join was the old name] or if anyone has Aura still in stock.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:59   #580
BHPian

Quote:
both neo and plati are cheap chinese makes. neo sells by simply labelling themselves as ARAI certified. they import chinese alloys and rebadge them. the safest bet for santro would be HRS [hi join was the old name] or if anyone has Aura still in stock.
Good to know, thanks. I hope HRS or Aura will be available in Hyd.
Old 17th June 2010, 18:38   #581
BHPian

Will upgrading to 165/65 R13's have a detrimental effect on steering heaviness on a non PS Santro?
Old 17th June 2010, 23:12   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've HRS H-373 design on my Santro and they're good. I've covered about 10k Kms on them in a span of one year with no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshaddagalla View Post
Good to know, thanks. I hope HRS or Aura will be available in Hyd.
Check Sai Mag's (HRS Importers and Distributors) website: Alloy Wheels, Car Alloy Wheels, Automotive Alloy Wheels, Chrome Alloy Wheels India for the various designs available and their contact details. In case they don't have a dealer in HYD, you can get them shipped from New Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
Will upgrading to 165/65 R13's have a detrimental effect on steering heaviness on a non PS Santro?
I think so, even with 155 profile the non-PS Santro is a tough drive.
Old 18th June 2010, 19:31   #583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
Oh definitely. There will be a certain amount of heaviness dialed into the steering if you install 165 section tyres. However, it won't be that much of a problem that you'd switch back to the stock size. The wider contact patch will aid in better handling and the trade off would be a slightly less comfortable ride and a slightly heavier steering.
Old 12th July 2010, 12:28   #584

Hankook Optimo Tyres

Hi Guys,

Yesterday I got the stock fitment MRF ZVTS (27000kms) on our chevy spark replaced with a new set of Hankook Optimo K 715 size 155/70 R13.
Sourced them at Rs. 2200/- per tyre with bill and a 2 yr replacement warranty here in Pune.

There was an immediate change in the handling; the car feels much more smooth on uneven roads and steering feedback is also substantially better comapred the the MRF tyres which felt extremely hard & unpredictable.

Has any one tried these tyres?
Old 18th August 2010, 12:03   #585
BHPian

I am running Bridgestone Potenza GIII 175/60/R13 from the day i bought the car and have done 30000 km. It will be time to change in mabye in 5000km. Iam a totally satisfied customer of GIII.

What is the recommended tyre in todays market in 175/60/r13? new launches? better than GIII ? or should i put another 4 GIII's ?
Running on 5j alloys.

I would prefer the same grip level as the GIII 175, and not more noiser. GIII is not a silent tyre but i have go used to its noise level.

Advice Please.

UM

Last edited by UniqueMods : 18th August 2010 at 12:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks