Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 19:08   #1066
Distinguished - BHPian

An Austin 8 of 1940 is available for sale. Pictures already loaded on this thread and on a Austin 8 of 1946 thread (pre-1950's V&C cars). Stated that its a 1946 model but actually its of 1940.
Old 2nd March 2009, 19:21   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Dear Mr. Prabal,

Since I do not know you personally, never having had the opportunity to meet, I will not call you a banana or declare you bananas. That would be taking liberties. Jokes and poking fun at someone I know makes it more pleasurable and acceptable. See, I started in safe mode.
And your observation on the Jawa. Yes, ofcourse the headlight and fork are misaligned(bananas)

Cheers
Harit
No sweat Harit sir, I take pokes at me quite happily. Especially if it were to come from someone like you, I'd feel more worthy. And in any case, you or Karl never said anything inappropriate about me, I was just having a bit of fun with word-play at my own expense. Fun and automobiles go well together. Besides, bananas are one of the better looking fruits and so nutritious too - great oral supplement for some food groups. They are also good on all days, not just in sundaes. Long live the banana republic!

Oh by the way, to put in something automotive, have you heard that tale of the guy crossing the Sahara in his Citroen 2CV that sprang a leak in the oil sump? Apparently the ugly duckling lost all lubrication only to be rescued by banana pulp that the driver mashed from a bunch he had in the car, and pushed in (don't ask me from where - the oil filler hole or up from the sump below, I haven't heard that bit). Far fetched? Maybe, but a lot of the deux chevaux' followers swear by it.

Cheers,

Prabal
Old 2nd March 2009, 19:32   #1068
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Oh by the way, to put in something automotive, have you heard that tale of the guy crossing the Sahara in his Citroen 2CV that sprang a leak in the oil sump? Apparently the ugly duckling lost all lubrication only to be rescued by banana pulp that the driver mashed from a bunch he had in the car, and pushed in (don't ask me from where - the oil filler hole or up from the sump below, I haven't heard that bit). Far fetched? Maybe, but a lot of the deux chevaux' followers swear by it.
Fascinating. I believe it.

Im also told a lot of dealers selling banged up Fiats back in the day would fill banana peels in the gearbox and as a result the car would shift smooth and slick for a while
Old 2nd March 2009, 19:40   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post

Cheers,
Prabal
Dear Prabal,

You are not going to believe this, but I had done something similar with my Amby.
Three of us, my dad, factory manager, my friend Patrick and me were returning from Surat by road, we had gone to see a machine supplier. On the way back the dynamo packed up. We waited to get it fixed, took some 8 hours as varnishing was involved. I slept, Pat drove. We reached Mumbai at 5AM, the western express highway was bad and the car fell into a hole. A big bang, I woke up and saw the oilgauge dropping to Zero. Our friend drove on and I stopped him. My dad took a cab home, he had to catch a flight to Germany that very night. We pushed a stick into the hole and applied mashed banana to seal it off. I drove the car like that for 5 days and then sent her for a complete engine overhaul.
So, I believe that this is possible.

Cheers
Harit
Old 2nd March 2009, 20:06   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Dear Mr. Prabal,

And your observation on the Jawa. Yes, ofcourse the headlight and fork are misaligned(bananas)

Cheers
Harit
No sir, they are no misaligned. The motorcycle is with me at the present time. Try to block the number plate and the fender, those are the ones that are not straight/misaligned.

Anjaan: U are perfectly right about the bikes manufactured by Ideal Jawa but the Jawa in question is of 1965 which were not made here. Anyways, I will not vouch for that color as being original for the Type 353 but I have seen other types in shades of blue especially the off-roaders and the track bikes from Jawa of similar vintage.

Cheers
-pat-

Last edited by TuffRyder : 2nd March 2009 at 20:13.
Old 4th March 2009, 13:24   #1071

1971 Dodge Charger 2 Door Coupe
1956 Alfa Romeo Julietta Sprint 2 Door Coupe
1951 Jaguar - Mark VII
1952 Triumph Speed Twin - 500 CC
1934 Villiers James , Hand Gear

These cars and bikes are getting aucioned in Pune on the 12th of March

Details are available on auction.autojunction.in

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th March 2009 at 13:33. Reason: Removed color, Size & font tags
Old 4th March 2009, 13:37   #1072
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmalTanna View Post
1971 Dodge Charger 2 Door Coupe

These cars and bikes are getting aucioned in Pune on the 12th of March

Details are available on auction.autojunction.in
This particular car interests me a lot, Will check the site.

Checked the site, its wrong address, could you please provide the correct address

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 4th March 2009 at 13:41.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:02   #1073
BHPian

Kadam,

Check here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1195438

regards
Old 4th March 2009, 15:27   #1074
BANNED

These cars are now not for auction,

Heard it was called off.
Old 4th March 2009, 15:33   #1075
Senior - BHPian

I was under the impression the Alfa and the Charger were already sold off. Of course it may be so that the person or persons who bought them might have put these up for auction. Dont expect it to go cheap, even in today's time.

A 1968 230SL pagoda just got sold for 20 odd lakhs. It was on offer to me for a few days before he started offering it around. Of course the amount was not available to me as soon as he wanted. It was supposedly super mint and restored by one of the biggest names in the business. LHD Automatic. Where do you get Pagodas for that amount and that too super mint im told. I will regret letting that go for a long time but no sense crying over spilt milk. If it were destined for me i would have got it.
Old 4th March 2009, 15:37   #1076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I was under the impression the Alfa and the Charger were already sold off. Of course it may be so that the person or persons who bought them might have put these up for auction. Dont expect it to go cheap, even in today's time.

A 1968 230SL pagoda just got sold for 20 odd lakhs. It was on offer to me for a few days before he started offering it around. Of course the amount was not available to me as soon as he wanted. It was supposedly super mint and restored by one of the biggest names in the business. LHD Automatic. Where do you get Pagodas for that amount and that too super mint im told. I will regret letting that go for a long time but no sense crying over spilt milk. If it were destined for me i would have got it.
The cars obviously didnt get sold, they are offered as part of the same collection. The auction is/was being offered by Njunction as well as autojunction, postponed twice too. Im confused.

Any pics of the Pagoda?
Old 4th March 2009, 17:36   #1077
Senior - BHPian

unfortunately not. Although i might have a few pics of it when not in very good condition, before the sale ill have to search it. It belonged originally to Sunil Dutt the actor and then was sold to a prominent collector in Bombay.

This is one of his cars that came up for sale, after it was restored. The car itself was very original and complete even before restoration.
Old 4th March 2009, 17:41   #1078
Senior - BHPian

V-16 hope you are not talking about the yellow one?
Old 4th March 2009, 18:31   #1079
Senior - BHPian

no the white one. it was always white and is still. The yellow one is a 280SL if i remember right
Old 4th March 2009, 18:33   #1080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
no the white one. it was always white and is still.
MMF regd? That car sure was a beaut. She appeared a few times at rallies in Bombay and Pune.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks