Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 16:17   #916
BHPian

Anyone want a vintage truck ?!
Just came across this ad for a Vauxhall 1936 for 3.25 lacs on ebay and am posting the link FYI.

eBay India: Vintage Vauxhall 1936 Car (Pickup Minitruck) 6 Cyln (item 120346033738 end time 06-Jan-2009 12:06:40 IST)

Classic Cars available for purchase-2312_1.jpg

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th December 2008 at 12:37. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 11th December 2008, 22:43   #917
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Harit !

Harit, your words of advice are simply gems.. and much much required on this forum. Most of us really have miles to go before we can call ourselves connoisseurs, and need all we can get from experienced hands like you and DKG.
Thanks a huge bunch.
Old 12th December 2008, 09:11   #918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak View Post
Anyone want a vintage truck ?!
Just came across this ad for a Vauxhall 1936 for 3.25 lacs on ebay and am posting the link FYI.

eBay India: Vintage Vauxhall 1936 Car (Pickup Minitruck) 6 Cyln (item 120346033738 end time 06-Jan-2009 12:06:40 IST)
I don't think this is a truck but this is a car which is converted in to truck.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th December 2008 at 12:38. Reason: Quote edited.
Old 12th December 2008, 10:35   #919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplythebest View Post
there are 11 digits in the mobile number....

must be a mistake.

anyways 50 lacs is out of the question!

no mistake friend,0 is a prefix for out of state mobile number.so if any body outside delhi wants to call this guy use the prefix '0' otherwise just the 10 digits.Moreover all guys know for sure that no mobile number in INDIA starts with '0'

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hey guys, cool it on the comments about pricing.
Please guys, take this in the right spirit, try to understand that we should encourage more people. Some may try a lottery with high prices, sometimes they win and sometimes they lose. But lets remain cool and friendly ALL throughout.
i appreciate Harits view on 'remain cool' 'friendly' ,but am sorry to state that i strongly disagree with him on the statement' we shpuld encourage people' trying to make a ' killing ' or quoting 'ludicrous' prices.to cite an example, if some one ask the same price for an unrestored junk ,what a concours car of same model/year is quoting at the market can only be called 'avracious' to be modestly speaking.these are the guys who make classic cars/vintage cars unaffordable to the real enthusiasts

Anyway a joyous development that has occured recently is the "ECONOMIC RECESSION" which has led to a crash in vintage/classic car prices!!!!

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th December 2008 at 12:39. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread.
Old 12th December 2008, 12:48   #920
Team-BHP Support

Ajay99,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
no mistake friend,0 is a prefix for out of state mobile number.so if any body outside delhi wants to call this guy use the prefix '0' otherwise just the 10 digits.Moreover all guys know for sure that no mobile number in INDIA starts with '0'
There are 12 digits counting the 0.
11 without the 0.

Judging by your affinity for numbers im wondering if maybe you had misunderstood C.S.Ananth's price

Either way (seriously now) -- you have expressed that the price quoted was more than what you would pay for it and more than what you thought it was worth and that is fine. There might be someone out there who would gladly pay C.S. Ananth's asking price because the car is worth it to him. Time will tell.

I think both sides of the coin have been spoken for, so lets all move on with the thread.

cheers
R
Old 12th December 2008, 16:12   #921
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely agree with Rehaan here, Ajay. You have made a point that the asking price was on the higher side than what you would pay or what you think was worth paying. Thank you for your contribution and point made but i think to push your point of view, down someone's throat is not very becoming, right? Lets leave the decision on the prospective buyers
Old 12th December 2008, 18:33   #922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i appreciate Harits view on 'remain cool' 'friendly' ,but am sorry to state that i strongly disagree with him on the statement' we shpuld encourage people' trying to make a ' killing ' or quoting 'ludicrous' prices.to cite an example, if some one ask the same price for an unrestored junk ,what a concours car of same model/year is quoting at the market can only be called 'avracious' to be modestly speaking.these are the guys who make classic cars/vintage cars unaffordable to the real enthusiasts

Anyway a joyous development that has occured recently is the "ECONOMIC RECESSION" which has led to a crash in vintage/classic car prices!!!!
Hi Ajay,

I had a look at my post again and realised that the last para is not quite clear. Please re-read the post and ignore the last para.

In this post I tried to cover 3 things, 1st yourself and the reaction to high pricing, then bad feelings towards scrappers (chor bazar types) and 3rd people who post some not so exciting stuff and some ridicule them "I would not touch with a barge pole" etc. I only meant to 'encourage' those who take some effort to post something which normally would not excite. An actual example a post on a Fiat '55, a reply is " Boss, Unless you get it for peanuts, I would not think it would be a worthwhile project". Who decides the cost of a peanut and how many peanuts would you consider as equivalent in value? See, all is relative.

I do not know Mr. Ananth, have not seen, met, corresponded with him. But I have seen his old posts and felt that could I comment before bad blood spills anywhere.

By the way, in Chennai where he comes from some prices are attrociously high, even higher than in Delhi. Probably because there is no stock. In our group we have picked up some cars from Kerala, these were not cheap either. I'll tell about them later.

You have also made a comparrison between junk and concourse. Here again it is all relative, junk is not just junk. There are many factors like completeness, documentation, mechanicals and rarity of model is involved.
About affordable vintages and classics, since I have been in this hobby for 30 years this has always been a prime issue. This is where networking is most important.

While it may be true that the economy has crashsed, prices of good quality vintage cars have really not crashed. By quality I refer to the uniqueness or upper end marques. Simpler and common cars which we were anyway not collecting may have come down. And these will include good useable cars too.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th December 2008 at 18:36. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 12th December 2008, 21:07   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I only meant to 'encourage' those who take some effort to post something which normally would not excite. An actual example a post on a Fiat '55, a reply is " Boss, Unless you get it for peanuts, I would not think it would be a worthwhile project". Who decides the cost of a peanut and how many peanuts would you consider as equivalent in value? See, all is relative.
@ Mr. harit: Sir, I do realise that I have made a grave mistake by commenting on that thread in the manner that I commented. Please do accept my apologies as one that has come from an amateur who has picked up a a similar model from the scrapyard and is running from pillar to post to ensure that it comes out well. The said Fiat is not yet near completion and with a long way to go.

Sir, but if I don't sound too impudent at this juncture I would like to mention that there are different stratas or categories wherein one falls when they dabble with classics and vintages (or anything else automotive or in life, for that matter).

As far as I go a person who is totally into restorations and has guts and dedication to pick up a Bantam without it's engine or ither essential parts is one who is totally into it. Would term them the 1st category.

Then there are many more intermediate categories that come into play, and me, might be at the last rung. Anyhow, I feel, a suggestion, of how I feel about a certain purchase by a fellow member would not be out of place in a common forum especially when the pics come from a Rust in pieces thread.

However if it is deemed as a grave mistake I would (and am requesting the moderators to remove my unworthy comment) make sure that I eat back my words.

Last edited by suren181 : 12th December 2008 at 21:14.
Old 12th December 2008, 23:04   #924
BHPian

Peace! Peace! Peace!

To each his own!

Dont think we all need to get worked up.

Everyone loves his son or daughter - they are priceless to each parent. Similarly those of us who are very passionate about our vintage or new cars think similarly.

What maybe junk in someone's opinion maybe a priceless find for someone else. Each one of us pics up vehicles according to our own financial capability, ambition to own something exquisite and love for machines. Some like straight 6, some like muscle cars, some like American cars, some pick only bikes of a particular make, to some an austin is the greatest and for some only a Rolls Royce would do. But we all love our machines.

The market place is an exciting place and it averages out the expectations and prices. There are some who dont wish to sell and hence ask for attrocious prices, there are some who for the sake of raising the stakes deny sale offers even at good prices. Its a gamble. Sometimes there are distress sales and precious machines exchange hands for small sums of money.

It all depends on the person selling and the person buying it. For the rest opinions are more than welcome as long as they dont hurt someone else.

I have a Lambretta that belongs to my father - his first new machine that he bought from his own money - Its priceless regardless of the offer and believe you all - after putting up the restoration thread on this forum I have already received an offer of 1lac from an Italian gentleman! But I have said no to him. Not because I want to jack up the price but because I dont want to sell this machine at ANY price. The Italian gent is willing to shell out this price because his father had one and he has NOT seen any machine being restored in such detail here in India. So while he may be missing out on other such well restored machines the offer is for my machine only. Is there anything wrong in this transaction? No.

But for all of you it may be an attrocious transaction.

I still find it a matter of great passion and the emotions that people have attached for their precious machines. Some want to encash the opportunity but then who doesn't. We are only human. I know of a Jag Mark 10 that was left to wrot on the roadside by one owner - it was sold for 2.5lacs. First restorer sold it for 6.5lacs after restoring it. The next one invested 12 lacs on it and sold it for 35lacs and now its ready for its next owner if some one can match the asking price of 45lacs. I already know of one person interested in this machine at this price! So there you go.

To each his own.

Let peace prevail. Smile if you can't match the asking price and laugh when you are able to buy something in what your budget is.

Cheers!
Old 12th December 2008, 23:28   #925
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Harit, your words of advice are simply gems.. and much much required on this forum. Most of us really have miles to go before we can call ourselves connoisseurs, and need all we can get from experienced hands like you and DKG.
Thanks a huge bunch.
Correctly said. Point noted.

We are learning, we'll be there some day.

Still, without such comments, such a forum would become bit of boring though.
Old 13th December 2008, 07:33   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
I know that a prefix of '0' is added for out of town mobile numbers.

My comment was intended to illustrate that even without the 0, there was one digit too many.

Pls look at your previous post.
Old 13th December 2008, 12:54   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
@ Mr. harit: Sir, I do realise that I have made a grave mistake by commenting on that thread in the manner that I commented. Please do accept my apologies as one that has come from an amateur who has picked up a a similar model from the scrapyard and is running from pillar to post to ensure that it comes out well. The said Fiat is not yet near completion and with a long way to go. etc..........

Hi Suren 181,

Nice comments but I must correct you on one point and will not accept appologies because you have nothing to appologise for.
There is no "level" for us enthusiasts. The difference is only in experience ( I am in this since 30 years) and accumulation of stuff, both in terms of quality and quantity. But I talk to all, whatever their experience and whatever stuff they own, as long as they are enthusiasts. Even quality and quantity do not matter. So I did go to a FCCCI meet though I have given Karl my opinion about it and came up trumps, I found a car of my interest. I do not anticipate that I will ever have a post 1940 Fiat, but I still met up with these guys and shall do so in future when time permits. The only problem I could face is when someone shows attitude. I believe that I could show attitude, I have enough stature, but then people would not approach me and we do not meet. I would lose out as some info would not filter down to me.

I only quoted your line because it was the nearest, I have seen a number of such similar lines. It was not directed at you as an individual.
I personally do not think anyone need to appologise on the forum unless there was abuse. When some comments are pointed out and comments made on them, it was purely to convey a different thought, a sort of discussion. This would be easier if we were to meet, we would never go this deep but as we are on a forum and have to write every word, this is how it appears.

SA7VA5 has conveyed the situation he sees it and my view is similar, each to his own and respect to others and we carry on. Unless deemed necessary, such posts will not come from me again, they take too much time and I should post better material. See the Standard thread later, I will still slip in a teaser.

We all started as amateurs. when I started, I was snubbed by a number of people who today talk to me. When you are an amateur, try to learn, do post comments. Go and meet people, see collections, go to garages, read articles etc. I say here on the forum, anyone in Mumbai or comming to Mumbai, I am willing to meet and if time permits sit for a drink,beer, coffee or even a glass of milk and talk vintage & classic cars.

Harit

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th December 2008 at 14:51. Reason: Quote fixed, when editing quoted text make sure a start [quote] and end [/quote] tag remains.
Old 13th December 2008, 13:00   #928
BHPian

Sir, thank you for understanding what I meant to convey. Yes, and I am learning and looking forward to more inputs from stalwarts such as your good self who have tread this path before.

If and when, I do have the opportunity to visit Mumbai, it would indeed be my honour and a pleasure to meet up with you only that I have to forewarn you that somehow I have not been able to stomach..... Coffee or Milk .
Old 13th December 2008, 13:14   #929
BHPian

Quote:
We all started as amateurs. when I started, I was snubbed by a number of people who today talk to me. When you are an amateur, try to learn, do post comments. Go and meet people, see collections, go to garages, read articles etc. I say here on the forum, anyone in Mumbai or comming to Mumbai, I am willing to meet and if time permits sit for a drink,beer, coffee or even a glass of milk and talk vintage & classic cars.

Harit
Extremely well said Mr Harit. If you should come to Chennai, anytime
it will be a pleasure talking Vintage cars, over perhaps a coffee or a drink.
Do certainly get in touch as it is always lovely to discuss Vintage and classic cars with an avid enthusiast like you.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th December 2008 at 17:31. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 13th December 2008, 15:55   #930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Extremely well said Mr Harit. If you should come to Chennai, anytime it will be a pleasure talking Vintage cars, over perhaps a coffee or a drink.
Do certainly get in touch as it is always lovely to discuss Vintage and classic cars with an avid enthusiast like you.
Uh, sorry to concentrate the digression even more! but 'just want to add Mr Harit, that should you come to Hyderabad, anytime it will be a pleasure talking Vintage and classic cars...but over perhaps only a coffee, or at the most an Irani chAi, yours truly being a tee-totaller and oh-so-conservative for his generation!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks