Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 09:48   #1261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
first of all city rover can never have LUCAS parts, because LUCAS ceased to exist many many years ago!
If I understand correctly, TVS-Lucas still very much operates out of Madras. Am I right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Here is a pic of a similar car.
Gogiji, what a gorgeous car, what lines! Mouth watering - sigh.
Old 13th May 2009, 10:12   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Oh these brilliant cars were not so oft imported as the Mercs. But i have seen a few examples and i have sadly learnt of their demise in a scrapyard.

There were more 1500s than 1800s, 2000s and 2002s. I remember very few of the 2002s. A friend had one till a few years ago and had even imported a huge parts consignment including the window and door rubbers and the rear tail light lenses from Iran. The car got into a problem with the restorer and it just sank in the ground after all the body work was done. Sad.

A few of these parts are still available if someone is interested.
I remember a mid 60's 2000 CS for sale in great condition. The lilac coloured beauty was often seen by me driven by an industrialist but it used to be off white first. When i found it was for sale, many many moons ago, i jumped. I took a test drive and the price was really steep in those days, especially for me a student, whose pocket money didnt get him through the month even. With my meagre means i tried to convince the guy to sell the car to me at a price much lower but was refused politely.

The car was picked up by a dealer who sold it to a young chap (with money) The car disappeared till a few years later it was seen in black, stripped of all its jewellery and its wonderful wheel caps, badges and trims. Someone had vandalised it. It was for sale for 50K. I again jumped, this time with the money but on reaching there the car had gone and i never saw it again.

Here is a pic of a similar car.

Attachment 135661
Thanks for this great information. It is nice to know that atleast some BMW's of that era were imported into India. Needless to say, if you ever come across two examples for sale, please let me know.

I say two, because I am sure you would like to probably pick up one as well!
Old 13th May 2009, 11:06   #1263
Team-BHP Support

I remember seeing a BMW CS from Mumbain in Bangalore in 1975/76 or was it a 1500. It was entered in the Karnataka 1000 rally when it first started. I don't think it finihsed
Old 13th May 2009, 11:29   #1264
Senior - BHPian

There was a 80's 7 Series for sale in Hyderabad with a very shady charecter who actually went under a host of different names, Dr. Sellwell, Dr. Carr etc.

The car used to belong to an Indian Airlines pilot who ran it to the ground.

Said Dr. bought a much modded MG TC from Vizag which had a fiber body on the lines of the MGA. He was describing this as a one off MG CF, the CF he said stood for California Facility. Absolutely hilarious.

The good doctor was trying to sell it for years without success.Said car was silver with a smart set of alloys.
Old 13th May 2009, 13:56   #1265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
If I understand correctly, TVS-Lucas still very much operates out of Madras. Am I right?
yes,TVS-LUCAS is a very succesfull OE ancillary company in MADRAS/Chennai. but LUCAS is no longer there in ENGLAND

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th May 2009 at 15:55. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 13th May 2009, 14:47   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
yes,TVS-LUCAS is a very succesfull OE ancillary company in MADRAS/Chennai. but LUCAS is no longer there in ENGLAND
You'r kidding right ????

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th May 2009 at 15:56. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 13th May 2009, 17:48   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
Lucas UK is still very much alive, ajay99.
:: Lucas Electrical :: The Power of Excellence, Leading distributor of Automotive parts in the UK.
Old 13th May 2009, 18:44   #1268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
I say two, because I am sure you would like to probably pick up one as well!
I like that.!! Done and if i come across just one, ill offer it to you first..promise!!
Old 13th May 2009, 18:45   #1269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
sorry I thought Lucas had moved out of automotive products.Thanks for the info.
thanks gotzuk for correcting my mistake
Old 13th May 2009, 19:06   #1270
Senior - BHPian

I had a beautiful 1993 RHD auto 190E, 2.0 ltr which my friend took from me. Almost immediately, he bought a W210 250D and this car was since neglected and not driven at all. The car was mint when i gave it to him, fully restored and no spending required at all. Now its dirty and needs care. Not junk but needs a good bath and interior cleaning and some tinkering under the hood for a few months of neglect. Let me know if anyone is interested, ill pm his number to him.

Im posting the pics of the car when i sold it to him about a little over a year or so ago.

Classic Cars available for purchase-image07.jpg
Classic Cars available for purchase-dsc00472.jpg
Classic Cars available for purchase-image08.jpg
Classic Cars available for purchase-image11.jpg

There is another lot of two Mercs available, both LHDs, one a W124 E260 and another a W201 190E 2.6.

Both American spec and both lying in a basement with years of neglect. Rust is showing in them if observed carefully, otherwise they look good, only dirty. Available only as a package deal together. I could not even see insied the car due to the dust accumulated on them. PM if anyone is interested, ill put you on to the guy.
Old 13th May 2009, 19:19   #1271
Senior - BHPian

I'm looking to buy this US spec 86 560SL here in Abu Dhabi. Car is complete and a runner with 104,000 Miles on it and both tops.

What do you guys think of it. What should I look out for in this before buying.

Price is AED 25,000 but its negotiable.

In Nov last year I got a 92 BMW 850 coupe for a song. The car was very rough, a Japanese import, but great fun to drive.

Most of the electronics didn't work including the adjustable suspension. Got it for AED 12,000, cleaned it up, pulled off the tint and was driving it when somebody offered 20K for it and now its gone.
Attached Images

Last edited by wasif : 13th May 2009 at 19:21.
Old 13th May 2009, 19:58   #1272
Senior - BHPian

Go for it Wasif. An 86 means the first year they were being made. From 86 onwards, the painting process was changed so as to make the care more rust proof. Rust is one of the problems of the R107, but not your 560.

The R107 has got the classic looks and appeal more so as compared to te newer R109s and the later SLs. According to me, the classic feel of the SLs stopped after the R107. Get it and post pics and a review.
Lucky thing with the BMW. Those 8 series were real trouble makers. I know four persons who owned them, one being from Dubai and they all say the 8 series should come with a mechanic in the trunk. The other three cars are from Mumbai.
Old 14th May 2009, 09:36   #1273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Go for it Wasif. An 86 means the first year they were being made. From 86 onwards, the painting process was changed so as to make the care more rust proof. Rust is one of the problems of the R107, but not your 560.

The R107 has got the classic looks and appeal more so as compared to te newer R109s and the later SLs. According to me, the classic feel of the SLs stopped after the R107. Get it and post pics and a review.
Lucky thing with the BMW. Those 8 series were real trouble makers. I know four persons who owned them, one being from Dubai and they all say the 8 series should come with a mechanic in the trunk. The other three cars are from Mumbai.
Thanks Dude.

Am working on it. Hope it happens this weekend. I'm gonna post pictures of every corner of the car.

As you said this is the last of the line of really great looking SL cars. In pictures it looks quiet big but in real life it is actually smaller and that V8, oodles of torque + great handling = grin on you face motoring along with the wind in your hair option with teh top down.

A win win situation all around.
Old 14th May 2009, 15:25   #1274
Senior - BHPian

There is completely stripped BMW identical to the one pictured in the previous page lying in a bunglow in Mumbai, knowing the guy I doubt he will let go, his other cars are not in to great a condition as well. I believe the BMW 2002 which gogi is qouting if the same was not into any problem with the restorer it was infact delivered back with in earlier 80's all intact but owner now an NRI scrapped it because he had no papers for the car. The other 2002 was also with this retorer completely stripped but was only being stored with him by another so called restorer who has the puleman in his posetion. Who are we talking about gogi?
Old 15th May 2009, 20:06   #1275
Distinguished - BHPian

1969 fiat 1100

Hi all,

'saw this '69 Fiat 1100 delight at the scrappie's today.

Incidentally, I used to see this car on the road, driven by an old gent, quite often.

CAr looks about 50-60% original, can be restored with the right remaining parts.
I find the upholstery quite inviting, even though I know it isnt original to the car!

Now the only major setback is it's been fitted with a Diesel engine , a Nissan one I think......which has also been entered in the RC I'm told.

Now the guy did say he's willing to give the car with a petrol engine/gearbox, as someone has already asked him for the Diesel engine. But I guess reverting to an original petrol unit would be possible yet difficult, involving not just bodywork but even paperwork formalities, as it'd have to be re-entered in the RC etc.!

He's quoted 30k with the current engine...should reduce a little if given with a petrol unit (just my guess though!)

Aside, it could be an ideal project even for one serious about building a hotrod!

Especially considering that a friend whom I've already informed about this car is anyway willing to take most of the original parts on it, should the car not get picked up!

Still, if anyone is serious on it, do pm me.

Classic Cars available for purchase-black69.jpg

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_3055.jpg

Classic Cars available for purchase-black692.jpg

Classic Cars available for purchase-black693.jpg

Classic Cars available for purchase-chplate.jpg

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_3061.jpg

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_3064.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks