Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:48   #1306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
there used to be similar 4 door car in vasant kunj in delhi till the early nineties, wonder if it survives, also there was a powder blue 2002 ex stc which was owned by a south indian gentleman, used to come to swamy's place in the late 80s where i used to take my karmann- ghia, it was at par with any 2002 iv seen anywhere in the world.
Hey Awini, but-not-Patel, I know this Beemer and her owner. Was/is a 1970 (or thereabouts) BMW 2000 and the rear had swung up in the later years. Was first owned by a gent in Green Park/Hauz Khas, who was the first owner and original importer. He advertised her for sale in the late 80s, but being a highly-flustered, recently-married-guy (and at a rather young age at that!) with too many pans on the fire, I lost out. Someone in the neighbourhood (Som Vihar) bought her and that's how I kept track. If memory serves me right, she was originally metallic blue and later painted white by this guy a few years down the line. By which time he had also acquired a relatively more modern US-spec 318i or a 320i ( can't remember the headlights now, other than that they were not round!!) and moved to Vasant Kunj with both. The old 2000 as I said, was sadly sagging at the hinges by then and the tin weasles had started taking a tool too. I know where they were stying in VK. Will swing by next time I'm in Delhi (off again tomorrow for a few days) and check out if she survives.

Btw, I remember the 2002 at Swamy's well - lovely car as you said. But was she powder blue, or a shade darker? There also was a cupric-reddish, and rather tasty-looking 528, for sale a few shops away from Swamy's, but since I can barely change a bulb of all the electrical challenges, prudence made me keep away! Loved the forward-hinged-boonet Beemers none-the-less. Mr. Chris Bangle, where'd ya come from?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esskay View Post
Any Takers.......CHEVROLET 1935 master deluxe.
Is the tile okay? I could be, if it is, please.
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:50   #1307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
I got a scrappy MG TC for free.
Well lucky you never ever managed to get even a scrappy bicycle free to this date

Quote:
I am certainly intrested title or not PM me the details.
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:11   #1308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
forget restoring it to its original form. This can be converted in a hotty hot rodder.
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:58   #1309
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
forget restoring it to its original form. This can be converted in a hotty hot rodder.
Beg your pardon Sir, May i know what makes you think this car is not restorable to its period condition.

Its very much restorable to its original glory, and as per me its a collectors piece, and the car does not look too bad to me externally. any interior pics would help.
Old 24th May 2009, 10:58   #1310
Senior - BHPian

That Chevy is eminently restorable but will be a project for an experienced person. Its actually quiet a rare car. Plenty of later Fleetmasters around but not many this old.

Forget rodding think restoring !!!
Old 24th May 2009, 17:03   #1311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Beg your pardon Sir, May i know what makes you think this car is not restorable to its period condition.

Its very much restorable to its original glory, and as per me its a collectors piece, and the car does not look too bad to me externally. any interior pics would help.
I didn't say it can't be restored. You misunderstood it otherwise.

i felt like chopping the top height, lower the whole body with improved suspension system and billet wheels and repaint the whole thing in some kind of red with chromed grill etc. Plonk a modern engine. Do the uphostlery in leather. in short its a perfect candidate for a hot rod.
i hope you got the idea.

Last edited by SirAlec : 24th May 2009 at 17:08.
Old 25th May 2009, 04:16   #1312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Oh absolutely, lets agree to disagree.

Regarding the car in the classifieds,

It certainly isn't a 72 model. I wonder if it is an Oval window car looking at the front windscreen (subject to correction). Or even a split!
I suspect this is a Beetle which was recently, about 1 to 2 years ago restored in Pune. Had a GDA number and rear glass enlarged. Also front mudguards were modernised. At least the colour was the same, and he is trying to book a huge profit. Good luck to seller and buyer, to negotiate a mutually acceptable deal.
Only if, this is the ex-Pune car, otherwise comments stand withdrawn. Frontal photo will help.
Old 25th May 2009, 05:22   #1313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Oh these brilliant cars were not so oft imported as the Mercs. But i have seen a few examples and i have sadly learnt of their demise in a scrapyard.

There were more 1500s than 1800s, 2000s and 2002s. I remember very few of the 2002s. A friend had one till a few years ago and had even imported a huge parts consignment including the window and door rubbers and the rear tail light lenses from Iran. The car got into a problem with the restorer and it just sank in the ground after all the body work was done. Sad.

A few of these parts are still available if someone is interested.
I remember a mid 60's 2000 CS for sale in great condition. The lilac coloured beauty was often seen by me driven by an industrialist but it used to be off white first.
Now the story.
This Beemer belonged to a family on Nepean Sea Road. They also had a Ford A roadster, a 20HP RR ex-Bharatpur, MG TC and a Merc 107. The Ford A went to Poonawalla, then sold on, whereabouts not know. The Rolls also went to Poonawalla-Vohra- Sanghi. About MG & Merc no idea.
This BMW was my favourite, used to see her regularly, silver, white. One day she was advertised for sale, I missed that ad, and lost trace.
Till one day Anoop took me to see a Bentley rotting in Bandra. And there she was, sooooooooo sad, stripped of almost all fitting and lying in the rain. I was told that the owner gave the car for restoration on the Baandh, then a dispute, car came back without the parts. This car had killer looks, just see the headlights. And the owner came from a community supposed to be known for car maintainance, people pay remiums when they hear that a car was owned by them, but then you cannot generalise as there are black sheep everywhere. I do not suppose that car can ever be saved, it will be just too expensive to get the parts together. This car was probably unique in India, I know of no other.
The guy also owned the Porsche 914 which changed about 2 owners thereafter. In fact she was given to Anoop to repair, but he neede money which never came forward. And Anoop is running a business, should not invest his own money. So the 914 too rotted, I even saw that car later in Khandala rotting further. What's wrong with these guys?
Pre 1985 BMW's are lovely cars to own, I had driven a late 1970's automatic 2000 or 2500 which was looked after by my mechanic. The owner was a Diamondwalla, he got the car from STC Delhi, previously she was from the German Embassy. The owner needed a duplicate key, someone checked with BMW and then it was discovered that the car was 2 years older than whet was declared. This was one of 2 car related cases brought against STC at that time, the other was by a prominent collector in Mumbai.
But this Beemer pictured by V16 definitely deserved a better fate!

RIP
Old 25th May 2009, 09:55   #1314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I suspect this is a Beetle which was recently, about 1 to 2 years ago restored in Pune. Had a GDA number and rear glass enlarged. Also front mudguards were modernised. At least the colour was the same, and he is trying to book a huge profit. Good luck to seller and buyer, to negotiate a mutually acceptable deal.
Only if, this is the ex-Pune car, otherwise comments stand withdrawn. Frontal photo will help.
I remember the orange car you talk of in Pune, she was modernised (and ugly!), but was she a genuine Oval with a larger rear glass grafted?

This baroda car is a genuine oval, 56/57. GJ registered.
Old 25th May 2009, 14:44   #1315
Senior - BHPian

Carwale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Happened to stumble upon this car while browsing. Wonder if the papers are in order though, for it says 1956 model, but it is the earlier model with super select grill, bigger headlights etc. However the rear has all the period fittings intact, and as usual a hefty price tag (say so 'cos I for one definitely cannot afford it) .

Used 1956 Fiat 1100 Petrol for sale in Jamshedpur - Profile Id : S58720 - CarWale.com

The car sold off for 50 Grand to some one in Bangalore. Other one in Bangalore for sale in Carwale.com is still available with quite a few original parts. The gear box though has been modified to column shift from earlier floor shift :O} ha ha. Might be thaat the original gerbox has been changed to Permier Padmani.

the link is

Used 1956 Fiat Millicento Petrol for sale in Bangalore - Profile Id : S81196 - CarWale.com
Old 26th May 2009, 12:37   #1316
Senior - BHPian

VW Beetle

Found this Strech limo for sale

VW BEETLE STRETCH LIMO - Bangalore - Other Vehicles

very very sad me to hear this modification.
Old 26th May 2009, 12:51   #1317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Found this Strech limo for sale
If I read right, the expected price is 16 lakh rupees? Wow!
Old 26th May 2009, 13:17   #1318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Other one in Bangalore for sale in Carwale.com is still available with quite a few original parts. The gear box though has been modified to column shift from earlier floor shift :O} ha ha. Might be thaat the original gerbox has been changed to Permier Padmani.

the link is

Used 1956 Fiat Millicento Petrol for sale in Bangalore - Profile Id : S81196 - CarWale.com
Ive seen this car. The garage is in a lane parallel to Wheeler's Road extension behind Manx Motors. He had quite a few classics there before.
Old 26th May 2009, 13:42   #1319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Ive seen this car. The garage is in a lane parallel to Wheeler's Road extension behind Manx Motors. He had quite a few classics there before.
I drove that car and was , gear box is a sure let down, the vehicle does not have the smoothness associated to origheenal Fiat's.

@ Karl

Moral of the story "Bad things do not come cheap."
Old 26th May 2009, 14:22   #1320
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
If I read right, the expected price is 16 lakh rupees? Wow!
As per various posts in the past the price is right if the buyer thinks it is. Not my words though

Whats 16 lakhs for killing a beautiful car..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks