Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 00:03   #1276
BHPian

Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Do you mind sharing the story behind these? ie. do/did you own a Herald as well?
My family owned a 2 door Mark 1 Herald back in the day. It was sold after a few years to make way for a Mark 2 Amby. As cliche'd as it sounds, I've always hoped to trace both those vehicles. But of late my hope is dwindling along with the available parking space at home.

You have a sharp eye! :-) Yes, the tail lamp lenses are the later variety (Lucas 759). These were brought down to India by a family friend who owned a 13/60 sedan and a 13/60 covertible, in the UK. One of these was a twin-carb model. He brought down some Herald spares when he relocated back to India. In fact he even brought the carbs, manifold etc to India hoping to install them on an Indian Herald. Unfortunately, he didn't realise at the time that the twin carb manifold for a 1296cc Herald would not fit a 948cc engine! He ended up shipping it back to the UK.
Anyhow, over the years some of his parts and manuals have come into my custody.

Some of the front lamps were found in India. Some were brought in from the UK. These are the peaked Lucas 584 lenses.

Most of the other parts were acquired locally from various parts dealers as an exchange for some additional VW spares that I had (my cousin is a wholesale VW parts dealer in Canada and I regularly import parts for members of the Bangalore Beetle Club).
Hence, my comment : you never know what will turn up in India. I know of a parts dealer who has a whole house filled with Morris parts. He has a minimum of 16 engines, numerous body and trim parts! He lives in another house a few blocks away! And of course he asks for an arm and a leg for anything.

Quote:
The front parking light lenses are the correct ones for the car! Do you have the whole assemblies or only the lenses btw?
One set of assemblies are pictured in the photo in my previous post (bad shape though). I think I have another in my hometown where I have more storage space for parts. Might've sold/exchanged/given it away over the years, though. not sure. Are you just asking, or do you know of a vehicle that needs these?

Another oddity that has come into my possession is the later 13/60 front indicator lenses. In the picture below, the lens on top is the peaked L584 lens. The lower one is the non-peaked later variety that I'm told came on the 13/60 (and maybe even the Vitesse?). Strangely the Lucas number on both are L584 ! I found it very peculiar that Lucas christened them both with the same number. Maybe the later variety was meant to replace the earlier variety completely. Do you have any information on this?

Standard cars in India-dsc01807.jpg
Old 8th June 2011, 11:10   #1277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
My family owned a 2 door Mark 1 Herald back in the day. It was sold after a few years to make way for a Mark 2 Amby.
Thats nice to know! Any old pics. of the Herald? Do you recall the colour and regn.?

Quote:
Some of the front lamps were found in India. Some were brought in from the UK. These are the peaked Lucas 584 lenses.

One set of assemblies are pictured in the photo in my previous post (bad shape though). I think I have another in my hometown where I have more storage space for parts. Might've sold/exchanged/given it away over the years, though. not sure. Are you just asking, or do you know of a vehicle that needs these?
I doubt if any of these peaked lenses were made in India though, because the lenses that came on the early Indian Heralds were made of plastic not glass and so I presume locally made. If any glass lenses were found in India, they probably had come from a Triumph Herald that would've ended up being scrapped here.
And yes, of course I know of a car that needs these- our friend's Herald that I posted above!!

Quote:
Another oddity that has come into my possession is the later 13/60 front indicator lenses. In the picture below, the lens on top is the peaked L584 lens. The lower one is the non-peaked later variety that I'm told came on the 13/60 (and maybe even the Vitesse?). Strangely the Lucas number on both are L584 ! I found it very peculiar that Lucas christened them both with the same number. Maybe the later variety was meant to replace the earlier variety completely. Do you have any information on this?
I'm afraid I dont really, but maybe the design was changed as per some local regulations there...I'm sure even the tail-lights were for the same reason. Looking at the lens, it looks like the bigger concentric rings are for the parking lamp and the smaller ones (right) for the indicator.
Just as the tail-lamps on later VW Beetles had to be made bigger and (IMHO) less attractive, viz. the 'elephant-foot' tail-lamps on the 70s Beetles onwards as per motoring law requirements. Also some of the parts like the lamps etc. were made a bit different in different countries- Heralds sold in the US for eg. after the mid 60s or so had the tail-lamps fully red, as opposed to the top half being orange (for the indicator.)

Last edited by Stanher : 8th June 2011 at 11:12.
Old 8th June 2011, 14:07   #1278
BHPian

Quote:
Thats nice to know! Any old pics. of the Herald? Do you recall the colour and regn.?
I was 5 years old when the car was sold so my recollections are faint at best. I do remember that it was red and then later on I think it was painted a dual red & white. I don't remember the regn, but it was a MY? something. Shall fish out photos when I'm in my hometown next.

One incident that I do remember was that my elder brother once tumbled into the front footwell of the car. I don't remember if it was due to the brakes being engaged suddenly or if his younger brother pushed him.. :-) To this day he has a scar near his eyebrow and we frequently joke that the Herald has left a 'mark' on the family! :-)

Quote:
I doubt if any of these peaked lenses were made in India though, because the lenses that came on the early Indian Heralds were made of plastic not glass and so I presume locally made. If any glass lenses were found in India, they probably had come from a Triumph Herald that would've ended up being scrapped here.
Yes, all the glass lenses that I have seen have 'MADE IN ENGLAND' scripted on them. So you are right that even the lenses that were found here would have initially reached Indian shores either in a box or on a car.

Quote:
And yes, of course I know of a car that needs these- our friend's Herald that I posted above!!
One set of front lenses, rims and assemblies will be handed over after the assemblies are restored/repainted.
I remember you saying that you have only one assembly. If you need an additional assembly, it would be trivial and cost effective to fabricate one. Since it is not a very visible part, this could be considered as an alternative to importing.

Quote:
I'm afraid I dont really, but maybe the design was changed as per some local regulations there...I'm sure even the tail-lights were for the same reason. Looking at the lens, it looks like the bigger concentric rings are for the parking lamp and the smaller ones (right) for the indicator.
You are right that regulations were the driving factor for the redesign. The regulation stipulated that the indicator lens should be amber (or clear with an amber bulb) and also of a certain wattage/intensity.
In other similar cases though, Lucas always changed the number of the upgraded part (L636 -> L759). Also, Lucas also denoted variations within a series with an alphabetical suffix, like the L464A (1950s Standard Vanguard), L464C/L464E (1950s RR), L464F (1960s Humber).
Anyhow, maybe there isn't any interesting reason. I might just be chasing ghosts in the dark!

Quote:
Just as the tail-lamps on later VW Beetles had to be made bigger and (IMHO) less attractive, viz. the 'elephant-foot' tail-lamps on the 70s Beetles onwards as per motoring law requirements. Also some of the parts like the lamps etc. were made a bit different in different countries- Heralds sold in the US for eg. after the mid 60s or so had the tail-lamps fully red, as opposed to the top half being orange (for the indicator.)
Another interesting side effect of the many colour code regulations, was the axing of many light fittings and accessories. In the US, clear lenses for the indicator were banned in some states in the earl 70s. This prompted many half baked modifications on US Triumph Heralds like the one pictured below.
Standard cars in India-gh4.jpg

Another victim of regulations was the infamous "blue-dot" accessory. This gave off a blue tinge to an otherwise red lamp or chrome headlamp visor. These were banned for a few years in the 50s or 60s. Of late they seem to be making a comeback in classic car / hot rod circles. Personally I do not favour them though.
Standard cars in India-bluedot.jpgStandard cars in India-bluedot1.jpg
Old 14th June 2011, 06:30   #1279
BHPian

Quote:
Good to see more Heralds turning up in Bengu!

Although, would've been all the better had they been kept more original...! Not just the roof, it seems to have lost much of its original cosmetics!

I too think it's a mk2 although hard to say- could be that the front bumper guards are missing, as the rear ones are.
Its a gazel. Indian version. The original Hearald gear box has a remote operated lever. This one appears to a Companian or Pennant(?) gear box. If my memory is correct the original rear transmission is replaced by a live axle in the Gazel increasing the overall height of the car.

The peculiarity of the Companian gears is that you have to ease the gear lever towards you to get it into reverse!!!
Old 14th June 2011, 09:33   #1280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
Its a gazel. Indian version. The original Hearald gear box has a remote operated lever. This one appears to a Companian or Pennant(?) gear box. If my memory is correct the original rear transmission is replaced by a live axle in the Gazel increasing the overall height of the car.

The peculiarity of the Companian gears is that you have to ease the gear lever towards you to get it into reverse!!!

No way is that a Gazel!!

Gazel first of all NEVER came as a 2-door!! And secondly, please look carefully at the rear bumper etc. Its 100% a Herald!

Also how are you able to see the gearbox from these pics.? Have you seen it from close earlier? I dont see how and why anyone would fit a gazel gear lever inside a Herald though. The seating position is totally different in both the cars, Gazel being a higher, bench seat.

Reg. Companion gears, the gearbox would be the same as the 10/Pennant (which I've driven) as well as the Gazel, so reverse would work the same- you lift up the lever and engage by turning left and upwards, not towards yourself. Even in Heralds its the same direction, except that you press the lever down a bit.
Old 14th June 2011, 20:07   #1281
BHPian

Quote:

No way is that a Gazel!!
Sorry about the misunderstanding. My comment was on the post #1262? by anjan_c2007 on march-5th regarding a rotten Standard Gazel.

The car you commented on is a standard herald. No doubt about it.
Old 14th June 2011, 21:33   #1282
Senior - BHPian

I happened to see this Penant at a Fuel Station in Changanasserry near the bypass on the MC Road. There were many vintage cars out there. This Morris and the Penant are in the show case where as the others are outside. I could click only this picture as I had refuelled some distance earlier. I had already planned my refueling there in my next trip that way. The cars appears to be in fine nick.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-12062011412.jpg  

Old 14th June 2011, 23:01   #1283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
Sorry about the misunderstanding. My comment was on the post #1262? by anjan_c2007 on march-5th regarding a rotten Standard Gazel.
Oh! Thanks for the clarification! Glad that's clear now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I happened to see this Penant at a Fuel Station in Changanasserry near the bypass on the MC Road. There were many vintage cars out there. This Morris and the Penant are in the show case where as the others are outside.
I think jayd had posted a pic. of this Pennant earlier. Does it have a later date TN regn.? And I think even the Morris is familiar.
Old 14th June 2011, 23:25   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think jayd had posted a pic. of this Pennant earlier. Does it have a later date TN regn.? And I think even the Morris is familiar.
In my next trip through that road I would definitely collect all details. He has a whole lot of cars outside. My daughter clicked the photo and hence was not focused.
Old 16th June 2011, 14:38   #1285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I happened to see this Penant at a Fuel Station in Changanasserry near the bypass on the MC Road. There were many vintage cars out there. This Morris and the Penant are in the show case where as the others are outside. I could click only this picture as I had refuelled some distance earlier. I had already planned my refueling there in my next trip that way. The cars appears to be in fine nick.
Quote:
Oh! Thanks for the clarification! Glad that's clear now.

Yes Chetta! This is the same one. Its called Kohinoor fuels or something. They have a large number of cars with them. Quite a few of them are dieselised though.
Old 16th June 2011, 22:05   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
1938-standard flying eight(two door ,sunroof,vary rare car,i know only 3,mine being 4th ,pls update if some one knows any more ,its one in mumbai,one in chennai,regular visitors to local rallies,pls note its FLYING eight not standard eight.
I saw this one with a collector in bangalore, but then we did not took the side pictures so still not sure if she is flying or not .

Standard cars in India-dsc09659.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc09661.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc09662.jpg
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 12:10   #1287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I saw this one with a collector in bangalore, but then we did not took the side pictures so still not sure if she is flying or not .

Attachment 561629

Attachment 561630

Attachment 561631
Nice hood logo,so fresh even after so many years,my car misses that,may be this is the reason i like it so much,pls suggest are the small lights below the head lamps original,my car has no signs of such lamps.
Old 17th June 2011, 16:22   #1288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
Nice hood logo,so fresh even after so many years,my car misses that,may be this is the reason i like it so much,pls suggest are the small lights below the head lamps original,my car has no signs of such lamps.
The park lamps are not original. You can get more info here.

Brochure Flying 8 Page

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...storation.html

And I think some one from the standard club will be able to help you. Shyam and Karlos are very knowledgeable on standard cars.
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:38   #1289
BHPian

For all Standard lovers...

Saw this in a friend's friend's FB album.

Standard cars in India-251271_1981090900904_1652137137_2021226_6998220_n.jpg

Standard cars in India-263089_1981078100584_1652137137_2021213_6685473_n.jpg

Dear moderators, I assume I can post this picture. If not please delete it.

With regards,
Jose.
Old 23rd June 2011, 20:09   #1290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
For all Standard lovers...

Saw this in a friend's friend's FB album.
Is your friend in Bangalore?

Because this car happened to be in B'lore and was for sale with a dealer couple of years ago...for a steep price (heard from a friend that the guy first quoted 1 price and then later increased it by 10-15k!)

Here's how it looked then:

But it now looks like it isnt in running condition. Does your friend know the story behind it?

Standard cars in India-bcomp1.jpg

Standard cars in India-bcomp02.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks