Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2011, 06:30   #1291
Senior - BHPian

Re: Standard cars in India

I think I have also seen this, along with a 59 fiat select, VW Beetle and some other stuff. All were having a similar white and black scheme of paint. The condition of this standar has deteriorated from what we had seen earlier.
Old 24th June 2011, 09:01   #1292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Is your friend in Bangalore?
Stanher, I have no idea about this guy. He's my friend's buddy. I'll try to get information about this person.

With regards,
Jose.
Old 30th June 2011, 18:30   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Since this is a Standard Cars thread I thought that this will suit this page. The original Rovers are already classics.
Some time ago a friend had to clear out a relatives flat and that is where I found this manual.
Does anyone exctly in which year the Standard 2000 was introduced? I remember that they had only three colours, blue red and white. And the booking amount was Rs 50000/- I do not remember the price. And that Metro Motors were selling them. BUT, in which year was that?
I have the complete booklet. And what was STAMPRO?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-standard1.jpg  

Standard cars in India-standard2.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by harit : 30th June 2011 at 18:31.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 18:51   #1294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Since this is a Standard Cars thread I thought that this will suit this page. The original Rovers are already classics.
Some time ago a friend had to clear out a relatives flat and that is where I found this manual.
Does anyone exctly in which year the Standard 2000 was introduced? I remember that they had only three colours, blue red and white. And the booking amount was Rs 50000/- I do not remember the price. And that Metro Motors were selling them. BUT, in which year was that?

Cheers harit
The standard 2000 was introduced in 1985
I think they were available in 4 colours?? was it not??shyam,what do you say??
Old 30th June 2011, 23:07   #1295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
The standard 2000 was introduced in 1985
I think they were available in 4 colours?? was it not??shyam,what do you say??
ajay99 would be correct about the year. And I think they were still in production when the factory closed in 1987.

I'm not sure about the colours (not really a fan of the 2000) but I recall seeing original ones in the colours harit mentions. But I think there also was Black among them?

And harit to your other question- STAMPRO stood for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS OF INDIA, the company's name. However, I never heard people using this acronym, everyone who mentioned it simply calls it as "Standard Motors." Contrary to PAL and HM which were relatively well-known.

Last edited by Stanher : 30th June 2011 at 23:10.
Old 1st July 2011, 04:03   #1296
BHPian

Hello Everyone,A very nice find Harit, cheers! Btw I have seen Standard 2000's in white, bottle green, blue, red and a violet one. Further to add some nostalgia please watch this video.Shyam@ I might require your help, as I am about to close a deal and get a herald.RegardsMK
Amaan_urs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 10:30   #1297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaan_urs View Post
Btw I have seen Standard 2000's in white, bottle green, blue, red and a violet one. Further to add some nostalgia please watch this video.YouTube - ‪kamal hassan...raja kaiya vecha‬‏Shyam@ I might require your help, as I am about to close a deal and get a herald.RegardsMK
I doubt if the bottle green and violet ones were original colours. Most likely repaints.

Nice to see this vid. - thought of uploading it in my last post but forgot!

Happens to be one of my favourites! Mainly because it was shot at the STAMPRO factory, this was just a year or 2 after they shut down, maybe 1988 or '89. The movie was dubbed in Hindi as Appu Raja and in Telugu as well.

I had badly wanted to go see the factory when I visited madras around 10 years ago. But I didnt know the exact route and none of our relatives with whom we stayed took me seriously! :(

'will never be able to now that the whole place is all torn down and long gone!

Glad to hear about your herald deal. If any help required, do pm me.

Last edited by Stanher : 1st July 2011 at 10:34.
Old 16th July 2011, 18:24   #1298
Distinguished - BHPian

A Standard Herald Mark II in pictures.I had put up pictures of this car earlier too. Its sold out to someone in Indore, M.P..
Standard cars in India-dsc07714.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc07708.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc07705.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc07706.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc07707.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc07709.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc07710.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc07711.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc07712.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc07713.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc07715.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc07716.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc07717.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc07718.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc07719.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc07720.jpg
Old 17th July 2011, 13:16   #1299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A Standard Herald Mark II in pictures.I had put up pictures of this car earlier too. Its sold out to someone in Indore, M.P..
Good to see this car's got a new home...the jeep rails seem to have been taken off thankfully. 'hope the roof was put back on?

PS: About my 'radio silence', I'm yet to get a new net connec. at home now, just logging in today from a friend's system! :(
Old 17th July 2011, 23:49   #1300
Senior - BHPian

Saw this Herald Mark I picture in the net, courtesy The standard car Club UK.
A car very well kept, clean lines with AP registration.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-herald.jpg  

Old 18th July 2011, 19:00   #1301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good to see this car's got a new home...the jeep rails seem to have been taken off thankfully. 'hope the roof was put back on?

PS: About my 'radio silence', I'm yet to get a new net connec. at home now, just logging in today from a friend's system! :(
Yes, Shyam the car's awfully welded jeep rails (with fog lights fitted atop)are gone.The hood could not be procured by the owner and hence the sale is on an "as is where is" basis.
The car was since the past few months almost rotting in the owner's farm. Luckily its sold and is saved.
Old 21st July 2011, 23:47   #1302
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Spotted this Herald (?) today !
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-img00633201107211722.jpg  

Old 22nd July 2011, 01:22   #1303
Senior - BHPian

^^^Mark 2 Herald with a custom roof and rear quarter windows which looks awful.
Old 31st July 2011, 00:41   #1304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Saw this Herald Mark I picture in the net, courtesy The standard car Club UK.
A car very well kept, clean lines with AP registration.
This car's been featured earlier- its one of the "Dharampur" Heralds, 1 out of 6 formerly owned by the Raja of Dharampur, who was based in Bangalore. All the cars were sold after his death and 2 of them ended up in Hyderabad, this one and a white one that had run less than 2k km! Incidentally, this car here is the first Herald I ever sat in, back in 1998, when she had just arrived in hyd.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishasrani View Post
Spotted this Herald (?) today !
Yes, its a mk2, with quite a few parts missing- I hope they are going to be put back on since it looks like it had a repaint. I think Karthik Makam had once posted a pic. of this same car but partly under a cover then.

The top is a fabricated one, I personally dont find any of the 'convertible' tops as attractive as the original hardtop.
Old 31st July 2011, 16:32   #1305
BHPian

Quote:
This car's been featured earlier- its one of the "Dharampur" Heralds, 1 out of 6 formerly owned by the Raja of Dharampur, who was based in Bangalore. All the cars were sold after his death and 2 of them ended up in Hyderabad, this one and a white one that had run less than 2k km! Incidentally, this car here is the first Herald I ever sat in, back in 1998, when she had just arrived in hyd.!
I was told a rather interesting story regarding the Dharampur cars by an oldtime restorer from the Jayamahal area in Bangalore, who, back in the day, was called upon once a month by the Maharaja, to start all the cars and keep them in running condition.

The cars were the Maharaja's prized posession and all of them were low mileage cars. The Maharaja was apparently rather obsessed with the security of his collection and rather than trusting security personnel with the task, he had pet snakes housed in each of his cars!! This would prevent any chance of theft or missing parts etc.

Once a month when this oldtimer was called upon to start the vehicles, a snake handler would clear the cars of the 'security personnel', and only then could the cars be started !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks