Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2008, 22:41   #541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
I had warned you about the poor quality Indian MC,s
And I had stated beforehand that it was only fitted momentarily!

I was anyways hoping to replace it ASAP, my chance apparently came earlier than expected!

Incidentally, TVS still manufactures good quality kits for these MCs, only to be sold abroad through UK dealers at a higher price!

Last edited by Stanher : 3rd October 2008 at 22:50.
Old 5th October 2008, 18:34   #542
BHPian

Standard Car Jack

Here are some photographs of a Standard Car Jack, Made in England and Sold in India.The squarish screw thread lifts the wedge (seen as a square piece) in the centre when the user rotates the top lever.The wedge has to be placed on a U type support provided at both sides of the car.(To be precise at the sides of the front seats). It is the same point for lifting both wheels on either side.Jack has to be placed from the inside of the car! The handle can be folded after use.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-jackextended.jpg  

Standard cars in India-jack-wedge.jpg  

Standard cars in India-jack.jpg  

Old 5th October 2008, 23:18   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Stampro, wow that is one interesting jack! I think even the Pennants has these originally? I heard of one pennant that had what was different from a 'normal' scissor jack.
Who owns this btw? Is it for sale??

Anyways, update on my pennant- got the remaining floormats stitched, treadplates back in place. He also managed to partially stitch up the torn headlining- incidentally its the original one! In case someone asks, I'm not changing it for the simple reason that I'd have to remove the rear glass for that, and as I dont have a new rubber for the glass I'm not touching the whole thing for now! Unfortunately someone had splattered some of the anti-rust paint onto it so thats more homework for me!
It wont come off with thinner of course.

Standard cars in India-img_1551.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1552.jpg

And for some bad news as well- car ran out of petrol while being driven back to the worksohp from the lining man's, hardly 1.5 km away, just after pouring 3L into the tank!!
'turned out there is a leak in the tank. It has to be taken out and cleaned and the leak welded up! My mech. said it can be done even later, after the rubbing and polishing is done and the car is back home, rather than leave it at the workshop for some more days where it'll tend to get messy!

Plus he finally found out the reason water is leaking out of the engine manifold area- it wasnt the manifold gasket but because one of the dummy plus at the side of the block has a leak in it! So that'll need to be replaced.

Standard cars in India-img_1553.jpg
Old 7th October 2008, 12:15   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Stampro, wow that is one interesting jack! I think even the Pennants has these originally? I heard of one pennant that had what was different from a 'normal' scissor jack.
Who owns this btw? Is it for sale??
You can check your pennant at the sides of the front seats.
There would be a 4" dia hole on either side with rubber cover.
Normally the hole would been closed with a round plate by the user because the door handle can be opened through that.

The original Jack is not for sale even though it is not used by the owner.
Old 7th October 2008, 22:02   #545
Distinguished - BHPian

A 62 (?) Herald spotted on an Orkut album.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-01.jpg  

Standard cars in India-03.jpg  

Standard cars in India-05.jpg  

Standard cars in India-08.jpg  

Old 7th October 2008, 23:56   #546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A 62 (?) Herald spotted on an Orkut album.
Yup it sure appears to be a '62 mk1, with just an add-on on the bonnet strip. Although the air-filter is from a later mk1/mk2, and as in many cases, the original dash has been replaced by a "home-made one"!

'looks like quite a tired car to me! 'hope its going to be restored soon!

@stampro, yes I finally got what you're referring to- and I did see those in my pennant, was wondering what they were for! (circled in red)

Attachment 57195

Anyways, the rubbing and polishing finally got going on my pennant today.
They did it on the top half and dash as well (the creamy part)- it sure looks loads better now! 'cant even tell its old paint at a casual glance!

Standard cars in India-img_1575.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1570.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1574.jpg

Inner door handles also back in place. He tried cleaning the plastic white rings with thinner but I told him not to, Ive a product specially for cleaning plastics so will use that.

Standard cars in India-img_1578.jpg

'also after a few unsuccessful attempts and a lot of WD 40, I finally had the corroded RH headlamp assembly bowl replaced with a better one today. The headlamp ring, which'd got a little dent in a little unfortunate incident earlier was also mended and headlamp assemblies both complete!

Standard cars in India-img_1583.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1591.jpg

By tomorrow afternoon the entire car should be done and badges etc. in place as well and I plan to take the car home then!

Last edited by Stanher : 8th October 2008 at 00:01.
Old 8th October 2008, 06:42   #547
BHPian

Pennant

Stanher, Your Pennant looks perfect with all items exactly in their place.Including the rear view mirror.It is amazing how the car was when you bought it and how it looks now.Congratulations on the very sincere effort. Enjoy the ride.
Old 8th October 2008, 14:26   #548
Distinguished - BHPian

Today is a momentous day for me. Besides being dassera, it is also marks the 50th birthday of this Standard Super 10, which I took delivery of today. I purchased the car directly from the first owner, who also shared his birthday with me yesterday.

Here she is pictured on the last Fiat Club rally standing next to the Dhabhar's Padmini. As you can see she is in need of much attention, but is very original and runs and drives reliably. She came with 2 trunks of spares, original keys, tools, spanners and even the starting handle. I was especially pleased to see the original pull starter mechanism in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-1001.jpg  

Standard cars in India-1002.jpg  

Old 8th October 2008, 16:18   #549
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new buy Karl, She looks great!! pls post more pix of it, And also, are u planning to get the chromework done on her soon?? Especially the wheelcaps??

P.S: Time to update the Meet the family thread with one more interesting don't u think??

Last edited by JayD : 8th October 2008 at 16:25.
Old 8th October 2008, 16:41   #550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Congrats on the new buy Karl, She looks great!! pls post more pix of it, And also, are u planning to get the chromework done on her soon?? Especially the wheelcaps?
For the time being I shall only get her mechanically (more) fit, depending on supply of parts. As there is a fair amount of bodywork, I shall tackle that much later. Im totally drained after this purchase, but it was not to be missed. New wheel caps from the amby shall go on, no point chroming these when new ones are available.

I am looking for the original rear view mirror that sits on the dash though. Also some dash switches. I think I have most other things for the time being.
Old 8th October 2008, 17:11   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Today is a momentous day for me. Besides being dassera, it is also marks the 50th birthday of this Standard Super 10, which I took delivery of today. I purchased the car directly from the first owner, who also shared his birthday with me yesterday.
She came with 2 trunks of spares, original keys, tools, spanners and even the starting handle.
Wow, congrats Karl!! A very special day indeed!
Oh, and belated many happy returns of the day! So sorry I forgot, was real busy yesterday!
So this is the "big purchase" you told me about eh?! Not so big considering its a '10' though!

This sure is a surprise! Is this um, a sign of you tilting more towards standards for a change?

1. Get that roof carrier off!

2. Change the interior to red, as it originally shouldve been.

She'll look loads better with these changes. And

3. Allow me to help myself- er, help you- with one of those trunks with spares.

Thankfully the car still has the rare side trims on the rear doors. 'seen very few Super 10s with those, although they were fitted to only some in the first place.

If I recall right, she was in daily use until recently, right? And do I see the "Super" badge missing?
Well atleast your pennant would have some company now!

@stampro, many thanks for your kind words!
Anyways, contrary to my expectations, 'couldnt get my pennant home today!! Reason- a blown head-gasket, discovered in the last minute!
Plus they'd goofed up a little on the paint job on the lower (blue) part! More details on that later. On the bright side, atleast I could have that corrected (on saturday as they are off tomorrow and day-after) rather than having to bring the car again for it!

Last edited by Stanher : 8th October 2008 at 17:18.
Old 8th October 2008, 19:10   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Get that roof carrier off!

2. Change the interior to red, as it originally shouldve been.

If I recall right, she was in daily use until recently, right? And do I see the "Super" badge missing?
I do intend to remove the carrier, I wonder where I'll put it. I don't have the heart to throw it away. Interiors are in good condition, if not to taste. Redoing that is a long way away. There are so many other cars in line before this one. The Super badge is very much still there, and the car has always been in regular use, she was never off road. Im also looking for a sunvisor similar to the one on my other car.
Old 8th October 2008, 20:40   #553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Interiors are in good condition, if not to taste. Redoing that is a long way away. There are so many other cars in line before this one. and the car has always been in regular use, she was never off road.
Aah yes that I do know!

Incidentally, I hope Mr. Dhabhar Sr. and/or Jr. have not seen this page yet!
Old 8th October 2008, 21:14   #554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Incidentally, I hope Mr. Dhabhar Sr. and/or Jr. have not seen this page yet!
Hehe. No need for me to feel guilty as they were offered the car as well but chose not to buy it.
Old 8th October 2008, 23:52   #555
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Karl - a lovely acquisition, looks reeal cute !! One small question.. In the super ten, what is the correct finish for the bumper and grille - shiny chrome, or aluminium ? (forgive my complete ignorance, I'm a bit challenged when it comes to info on standards ).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks