Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2008, 22:36   #511
Senior - BHPian

Wow Shyam, she's going to be one stunner. Can't wait to see her pics in the rally.
Old 24th September 2008, 00:48   #512
Senior - BHPian

stanher, the car looks stunning, just counting the days for its final reveal.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:14   #513
BHPian

Dear Stanher,
Just an advice. Check both the Master Cylinders ; clutch & Brake. In an old Standard this normally gives problem because the kits would have become soft.Do not buy local new MC's.They are terrible in quality.Rimmer Bros UK has new good ones
Old 24th September 2008, 14:51   #514

Shyam, Car looks Superb! Properly Classic!! Hope i had one!! Dad, Are you listening!!
Old 24th September 2008, 15:12   #515
Senior - BHPian

Shyam...what is the blue colour shade used? and which make of paint is it?
Old 24th September 2008, 17:27   #516
BHPian

Shyam, The Car looks very nice. One of the rare good Penants in India. For Hillram's question, the answer is Winchester Blue .
Old 24th September 2008, 21:40   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
Shyam, The Car looks very nice. One of the rare good Penants in India. For Hillram's question, the answer is Winchester Blue .
Winchester Blue would be much darker I would think.
Old 26th September 2008, 18:12   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I think so too- also it wouldnt be much of a pure blue shade, unlike the pennant's. Here are a couple of pics. of a 62 mk1 in that colour scheme (I imagine your grandpa's car to have looked like this! ) seen briefly in a 60s Hindi movie 'Do KaliyAn', with what looks like a Pennant parked beside it!

Standard cars in India-movie01.bmp.jpg

Standard cars in India-movie02.bmp.jpg

@hillram: sorry couldnt answer your post here as my PC had some virus so couldnt visit the net till it was all sorted out today! But, as answered to you on phone, its called "Tata blue", ICI dulux/Duco paints.

Anyways, thank you all for your comments! Yes I cant wait till the pennant's finished! Only regret (and a BIG one!) is there is going to be no rally this time to take her to! :(

Last edited by Stanher : 26th September 2008 at 18:20.
Old 27th September 2008, 06:24   #519
BHPian

Nice Penant and Herald cars, the girl seems to be famous filmstar Neetu Singh, she was child star then.

Shyam waiting to see your Penant & Herald soon, keep us posted about
its progress.
Old 27th September 2008, 09:25   #520
Senior - BHPian

My uncle once sold off a car right in front of my eyes, when I was a kid, for 6000 bucks. It was a station wagon and he used to call it COMPANION.

Was there ever a car of that kind? Could not find it anywhere
Old 27th September 2008, 09:50   #521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Nice Penant and Herald cars, the girl seems to be famous filmstar Neetu Singh, she was child star then.
Nope I recall her being mentioned as "Baby padmini"
I guess she was from the south.
Anyway, I hope to finish the pennant work by today!
'got the new door-pads (with the same old covers though) yesterday, only to find out that theyve been cut a little too long on the sides, so I'll need to take the car to the upholstery guy and get them corrected!
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-picture-001.jpg  

Old 27th September 2008, 11:07   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I think so too. Here are a couple of pics. of a 62 mk1 in that colour scheme seen briefly in a 60s Hindi movie 'Do KaliyAn', But, as answered to you on phone, its called "Tata blue", ICI dulux/Duco paints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Quote:
Nope I recall her being mentioned as "Baby padmini" I guess she was from the south.
I'd agree that this isn't winchester blue (Shyam's already clarified that it's Tata Blue, in fact). I had a '57 Standard Vanguard 14 years ago with the original winchester blue on her and that was completely different; more like the herald in the movie shot, but a little different still.

And yes, that girl in Do Kaliyan is indeed Neetu Singh, mother of Ranbir Kapoor now, as a child artiste then.
Old 27th September 2008, 16:49   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
I'd agree that this isn't winchester blue (Shyam's already clarified that it's Tata Blue, in fact). I had a '57 Standard Vanguard 14 years ago with the original winchester blue on her and that was completely different; more like the herald in the movie shot, but a little different still.

And yes, that girl in Do Kaliyan is indeed Neetu Singh, mother of Ranbir Kapoor now, as a child artiste then.
'57 Vanguard- that would be a phase 3 (my favourite of the vanguards! Needless to say on my 'standard' list too! )
How I wih you still had it! :sigh: It looks like Standards are getting more and more as things related to the past tense now! :(

Well, the colour of the herald in the movie may look a little different from the actual winchester blue when the latter is seen directly, mainly because the movie would be about 40 years old atleast which may make the colours in the film look a little less pure, plus I took the pic. on our TV screen with a digital camera which couldve also added to the effect...?

Well, interesting to know that was Neetu Kapoor! Although I dont know much about Ranbir Kapoor (in the sence havent seen any of his movies so far), I know more about Randhir Kapoor (ie. his movies- old vehicles arent the only relics I'm addicted to you know!)

Anyways, Pennant's almost ready- should be out by monday. Updates to be posted shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
My uncle once sold off a car right in front of my eyes, when I was a kid, for 6000 bucks. It was a station wagon and he used to call it COMPANION.

Was there ever a car of that kind? Could not find it anywhere
Yes there were indeed many Standard Companions until a few years ago- favourite of cabbies in Madras (besides 10s/Pennants) in the 60s.

Maybe you couldnt find your uncle's car anywhere (it might've even attained "liberation" in your shivaji nagar gujiri if it was in B'lore!) but you can surely find pics. of similar cars:

Standard 10 Companion Front. photo - Michael Ramsay photos at pbase.com

Standard 10 Companion Rear. photo - Michael Ramsay photos at pbase.com

Standard Ten Companion - Motorbase (some B'lore cars in this page)

And yes 6000 bucks is what they sold for then. Now you'd need to multiply this figure by 10 and thats the minimum demand for them!

Last edited by Stanher : 27th September 2008 at 16:59.
Old 29th September 2008, 00:17   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally back with more updates on my pennant- car's coming close to completion. On the bright side, cancellation of the 27th Sept. rally here made me (and the garage guys!) a bit more relaxed in completion of the car!

I'd earlier forgotten to add this pic. of the headlights (LUCAS made in England) fitted. Both working, just need to get the front sidelight assemblies sorted out (right side lens was touching the bulb so they're putting new, thicker mounting rubbers.)

Standard cars in India-img_1471.jpg

Inner door rubbers fitted, although quality isnt any better than the old ones. Both bumpers back in place, front one especially looks better than what it did earlier. Rear one needs attention but not immediately IMHO. 'will get it properly plated at a later stage.

Standard cars in India-img_1505.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1501.jpg

Incidentally, on checking the black undercoat on my front seats, I saw a part of the red upholstery peeking out from under the current maroon one- although curious to know whether it still is in good nick, I didnt dare want to investigate for now- as they say, curiosity killed the cat!

Standard cars in India-img_1475.jpg

Here's a set of nice jalwa horns I picked out for the car (Ive got 2 more at home plus open to getting any more that I find as well!)

Standard cars in India-img_1507.jpg

'had them tested today, one of them sounds normal, the other one a little bleaty! I was told the diaphragm inside the horn wouldve become weak- any chance of finding a replacement for said part?

But main thing is about fitting them- the older horn (UCAL, also gone weak) was a single unit that came with a bracket fitted to this right-angled bracket in the engine bay. But the jalwa one wouldnt fit directly onto this, plus the "trumpets" face upwards which Ive been advised against, as any water during servicing etc. would go straight inside! So alternative is to fashion a bracket according to its desired position, or fit them up at the centre (circled in pic.) where there already are 2 holes that suit the horn holder. I'm not able to tell exactly how they were fitted looking at pics. of other standard 10s Ive seen with these horns.

Standard cars in India-img_1509.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1512.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 29th September 2008 at 00:22.
Old 29th September 2008, 09:28   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Both bumpers back in place, front one especially looks better than what it did earlier. Rear one needs attention but not immediately IMHO. 'will get it properly plated at a later stage.
Be very certain before you chrome that bumper - it is still in original chrome, and that quality simply cannot be matched. The chrome on my car is still original and perfect, Im not touching the dents in the bumpers for that reason. The local chaps do a nickel chroming rather than copper, which is what should be done. Even the copper jobs Ive seen are simply not up to the mark. They may look good for a year or two, then you have to redo it every couple of years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks