Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2008, 16:44   #601
Senior - BHPian

his car's A/C look's like "National". I have the same in my fiat too. Car look's good.
Old 25th November 2008, 16:57   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
BTW Suren, didnt you tell me that you'd see this very car sitting by the roadside near that bridge to Balanagar for quite a while?
Behram speaks of another one at that spot! So did the mech. at this garage. But I didnt see any whenever I passed by that side. How about you?
I would like to affirm that this car (Blue Companion) was indeed parked on the road from Balanagar to Old airport. Would like to clarify though that it was on the road that leads from Bowenpally circle to Tarbund. It was parked on the left side long long ago.

Wonder if Mr.Behram could be mentioning the Old airport road itself, which I have not checked for quite long? Shall do that soon.
Old 25th November 2008, 17:08   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Saw this as I was driving around yesterday. Coming to think of it it is rusting in pieces, but since we are chronicling Standards here I guessed this is the right place to post it.

No, the owner is not willing to part with it and don't think he has plans to restore it either.
Woweeeeee!!! A vanguard in Hyderabad- I think its the first (and only) one Ive ever seen here- 'have seen such cars in other places though.

Ayyo da Suren chettA!! Youve created an insuffrable insanity in me again, just when I thought of taking a break!
But then, since the owner isnt selling as you say, I guess fortunately or unfortunately it IS break time for me!

But seriously, this car is just whats needed (apart from a super 10) to complete my standard car collection so one fine day in future they'd be ready for my STANDARD MOTOR MUSEUM!

The car is very much original on the outside, barring the lack of wheelcaps from what I see. 'doubt if there ever was a badge on the sunvisor.

But man, the interior- toooootaLLy buggered up I say!!

I cant even say if the basic dash itself is original or fabricated. Still, a good project for a first-timer.

Where did you spot this car btw? 'might as well like to go take a peekaboo myself one day!
Old 25th November 2008, 17:30   #604
BHPian

The dashboard does look fabricated. If it were original, I must say it looked pretty beat up. Am sure you must have noticed the latesht PAL meters in them.

Well, I spotted this car in Bolarum. Shall give you more details when I speak to you next. For it wasn't on a main road. This was the first time I have passed by that road.
Old 25th November 2008, 18:12   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Am sure you must have noticed the latesht PAL meters in them.
Yes I did! A real disgrace indeed! 'wonder if he also plonked in a Diesel/amby engine into it, by the looks of it!

Quote:
Well, I spotted this car in Bolarum. Shall give you more details when I speak to you next. For it wasn't on a main road. This was the first time I have passed by that road.
BOLARUM?!! Ironically Ive been there during all of my exams, my centre having fallen there since last year!! And not once was I able to spot this car, being a standard "bhaktan!" Shame on me!

Still, better one of us than a scrapwala!

Was this in a colony that you enter from the left of the main road from Alwaal (there's a PS booth and an e-seva office at the entrance as well)

Sure, 'would like more details.
Old 26th November 2008, 00:10   #606
Senior - BHPian

stanher, a pretty nice car. always wanted to see it. can you post some pictures of the back.
Old 26th November 2008, 09:35   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
stanher, a pretty nice car. always wanted to see it. can you post some pictures of the back.
Thanks amit. Uh, I did post a pic. of the rear in the previous page:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1067518-post600.html
Old 26th November 2008, 12:24   #608
BHPian

Hi Shyam,

Big congratulations to you for another addition to your Standard collections, now you need one more car Standard 8 flying to complete
your collection.

What happen to the Red Standard Herald car you wrote once belongs to some old gentlemen who is running some trust.

Wish you all the best.

Regards,
Old 26th November 2008, 13:59   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Hi Shyam,

Big congratulations to you for another addition to your Standard collections, now you need one more car Standard 8 flying to complete
your collection.
Thanks!
Well 'not keen on a flying 8, as I'm not too fond of the pre-war models.

But if you know of a 50s Super 8, I'd be keen- although not now, I'm quite drained out already!

Quote:
What happen to the Red Standard Herald car you wrote once belongs to some old gentlemen who is running some trust.
That car is still there with him.
He'd called me over once to help with some clutch problem the car has since long. He normally had it fixed by a mechanic known to him, the guy doesnt show up anymore and cannot be contacted. So he'd told me he'd wait a little longer and then inform me to get my known mechanic to fix the car.
Old 27th November 2008, 21:22   #610
Distinguished - BHPian

'back with not a bang maybe, but lots of news!

Firstly, an update on my pennant again- ‘finally got the brakes on 4 wheels sorted out yesterday. Hence, with that done, I finally decided to fit the hubcaps, as I was afraid of them getting messy while the work was going on.
So finally.....she's completely got the look she deserves!
PS: Excuse the little clutter you see under the car- I have no space to keep those extra wheels at the moment!

Standard cars in India-img_1870.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1872.jpg

The bad news is that all the wheel cylinders are in bad shape, as my mech. pointed out! He said they need replacing or new kits atleast. Most have the plastic dust seals(?) cracked/broken!

Standard cars in India-img_1856.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1857.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1860.jpg

Also the wheel bearings on the front right wheel need replacing.

Standard cars in India-img_1855.jpg

He said he's fixed them temporarily by cleaning and sanding the drums/brake-liners, getting the brakes working. But he says its not suitable for long/heavy driving as once there is more pressure on the brakes, they are bound to stop working anytime!

Anyone know if good quality w.cylinder kits are available in Madras/Bangalore? I sure cannot find any here. Else, as a last resort I'll have to import them.

Aside, just this afternoon, I'd gone looking for the 'other' companion that Behram had told me about, on the road from the now old airport to Balanagar. 'could not find it again!
However, I did spot this mk1 herald that I'd first seen exactly 2 years ago, in the very same route!

Standard cars in India-hermk1.jpg

Its a very decent and totally original car barring the front sidelights (actually fiat reverse lights!) and the horn-button (taken from a standard 10- Ive got a couple of spare herald buttons, so ready for a swap if I ever meet the owner! ) The regn. no. is a later date (90s) one too. Although, it looks like it has slightly deteriorated since I last saw it!
'was also kept much cleaner back then, even though it seemed to be always parked outside. I guess it's used often too.

Also, in further response to vintagepoint05's enquiry about the red '64 mk1, I happened to pass by the old gent's house this evening ('often take that street as a shortcut on my way home) and as a matter of habit, I turned to take a glance at that lovely car parked in it's abode......and was initially rather shocked on seeing its present state that I stopped my bike and went in for a closer look!

Standard cars in India-img_1876.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1877.jpg

Much to my relief, the gent explained that he finally got an old mechanic to attend to the long-waiting problems of the car. The rear suspension is getting overhauled as well, with new bushes etc. 'will be fiitted back in a day or 2.

Last edited by Stanher : 27th November 2008 at 21:28.
Old 27th November 2008, 22:45   #611

Love the MK1!! I soo badly want one....Convertible obviously!!
The one in bombay which i have put a couple of pages ago, the red and white one, is absolutely superb!! Damn moralfibre woudnt follow it when we spotted it last time!!!
Old 27th November 2008, 23:57   #612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Love the MK1!! I soo badly want one....Convertible obviously!!
There was a red one for sale here, which I'd also posted ('not sure if in this thread) some time ago.
Its the only other car out of 2 Ive known that I find worth calling a "convertible", not those home-made unskilled strip jobs with a poor excuse for a soft-top that could compare well with a cycle-rickshaw!
AND I hope thats not what you'll end up doing should you ever buy a Herald, dikra.......or else! (meant more to be an evil grin!)

Quote:
The one in bombay which i have put a couple of pages ago, the red and white one, is absolutely superb!!
You mean the MRX '62 one? You'd said the owner came for his morning-walk in it? Yes that sure is lovely! Although that was waaay more than a couple of pages ago!
Old 28th November 2008, 12:00   #613
BHPian

Nice addition StanHer.

You deserve a special place in Standard Motor Club Website as you have now become a Standard FLEET owner in India.

The Companion seems to have original Steering, Grill,Bumpers,Smith Meter, Wheel caps etc.

Excellent.

Still StanHer? While it should be StanHerPenCom
Old 29th November 2008, 09:09   #614
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your compliments stampro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Still StanHer? While it should be StanHerPenCom
No wait, a Super 10 (and Vanguard if feasible) needs to be added as well!
Old 29th November 2008, 09:14   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Thanks for your compliments stampro!
No wait, a Super 10 (and Vanguard if feasible) needs to be added as well!

Can I ask you how many vintage car's do you own??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks