Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2008, 01:25   #481
Senior - BHPian

nice stanher, pretty nice.
Old 5th September 2008, 21:38   #482
Senior - BHPian

@Shyam: Lovely buddy, she's looking lovely. Can't wait to see her ready.
@Speedy: Never heard of whitewall flaps before, pardon my ignorance. Where would one get these, it sounds like a real interesting idea. Also, would the spec differ depending on the tyre ??
Old 5th September 2008, 21:57   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your response guys! She should be ready in a week.

Speedy, I second ravi, I too never heard of these kind of flaps. However, I do have what is known as WWT paint, imported (made in Iceland) which I got through a tbhpian only. It gives the same look as an original WW tyre.

I got 2 tins (sufficient for 5 tyres I'm told) but I'm yet to start using them, mostly due to lack of time! I'll need to start soon!
Old 5th September 2008, 22:18   #484
BHPian

Ravi & Shyam: If I may take the liberty to answer your queries on the white wall stuff. They are called white wall inserts. Manufactured popularly by a company called Porta Wall.

However, it is recommended to have them on the Bias ply tyres more than the radials because of the flex on radials. The cost is low and not too suited for daily drive cars. Costing is not exhorbitant and would work to anywhere around 1k per tyre and removable after an run for a Rally or so. Worth it that way.

@ Shyam: Your new signature is apt to the core I must say. Who isn't? Every person has his/her own passion. Your living yours and man am I thankful I met up with you, am getting an opportunity to live mine (after meeting up with you i.e.,)

Last edited by suren181 : 5th September 2008 at 22:22. Reason: to add a comment on Stanher's signature
Old 6th September 2008, 02:15   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Ravi & Shyam: If I may take the liberty to answer your queries on the white wall stuff. They are called white wall inserts. Manufactured popularly by a company called Porta Wall.

However, it is recommended to have them on the Bias ply tyres more than the radials because of the flex on radials. The cost is low and not too suited for daily drive cars. Costing is not exhorbitant and would work to anywhere around 1k per tyre and removable after an run for a Rally or so. Worth it that way.
sorry My bad they are inserts and not flaps.

suren i use them on the packard and she runs on radials goodyear or pirrelli i think. we have never had a problem and we have never removed the inserts from when they were put on. we have also got them for many vintage and classic cars all over India. you can use it on a daily drive car as well, there is no problem at all. it enhances the look and is practical too.
Old 6th September 2008, 21:14   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the clarification suren & speedy. Wow, that does sound convenient!
And now here's a very original 1-owner mk1 I know of here, which I totally forgot to mention until now!

The owner (who is nearing 80!) has had it since day 1, having bought it new in 1964 in Bangalore, where he was working for HMT. Then he got transferred to Hyderabad in the 60s where the car was re-registered with an APF regn. Then he got promoted to GM and again transferred to bangalore in the 80s where it got re-registered again as CAN 1525!
Then finally on retiring he moved back to Hyd. in 1989 following which the car finally got its current regn.!

He doesnt use the car anymore, except for driving it out (with the help of an acquainted mechanic) to renew its pollution test regularly!

He does have it washed and start it up once a week so the battery doesnt go down and the car doesnt deteriorate. He did say it has some problem with the clutch though.

This is one complete, "unmolested" car, barring the rust along the door bottoms (I hope they get attention soon!) the dashboard, which has been replaced with a locally made decolum one with later guages, and the seats also have been slightly "upgraded" to be more of creature comforts, probably for his age! Check out those lovely jalwa type horns btw!

Also the original plain hubcaps of the car are actually kept safe in the boot! I'd seen it with those on (also the wheels were in the original cream colour) when I first saw this car back in 2005.

The owner, who lives alone in his house with his wife, currently runs a charitable trust society in his home. He doesnt want to ever part with the car as long as he lives. However, much as he loves his car, it seems that his inevitable senility is slowly but steadily getting the better of him. He told me on my last visit to him recently, that he plans to leave his entire property to his trust after he's- you know-, and (to my shock!) that INCLUDES THE CAR!

I tried to reason with him saying that whoever runs the trust after him would have no use or regard for it as he does, and he himself agreed to it! He said "yes, they may sell it off"...."may?" "will" is the right word, and no doubt as to how they'd sell it! :sigh:

Still, considering that he now considers me quite close to him, I "might" be able to persuade him to change his mind, not too soon, but someday!
For the time being, I'm just content that the car is where it is!
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-redher.jpg  

Standard cars in India-redher-2.jpg  

Standard cars in India-redher-1.jpg  

Standard cars in India-redher-3.jpg  

Standard cars in India-redher-4.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Stanher : 6th September 2008 at 21:22.
Old 7th September 2008, 00:48   #487
Senior - BHPian

Wow she's real lovely and unmolested.. All the best Shyam !
I'm trying my luck with a 57 elegant with a similar owner story. Will post pictures soon.
Old 7th September 2008, 01:21   #488
Senior - BHPian

Hey stanher thats a lovely car and one owner in top condition compared to many. i hope the owner does give it to you as the car would be well taken care off, rather than put it in a trust and the people neglect and ruin it. why dont you ask the owner if you could help fixing any loose ends in the car. this would also show him how much you love the cars.
Old 7th September 2008, 16:52   #489
BHPian

Hi Stanher, nice find, very original Standard car, wish they give it to you.
I also like Standards, Heralds, they are nice cars, my father also used to have light blue Herald for short time in Madras.

Cheers!
Old 7th September 2008, 22:56   #490

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wow she's real lovely and unmolested.. All the best Shyam !
I'm trying my luck with a 57 elegant with a similar owner story. Will post pictures soon.
Which 57 Elegant?? Details please. Shyam, how is the progress on the penant?
Old 8th September 2008, 18:01   #491
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
why dont you ask the owner if you could help fixing any loose ends in the car. this would also show him how much you love the cars.
Yup, thats what I did try to do once in a while- in fact these are old photos. The left front parking light which is broken in the pics. has a new lens fitted by me recently. I was a bit nervous as it made a little difficult fit but finally got it in place!
He does know I admire the car as much as he does. But I dont want to take any chances by asking him at random! I do have a plan to work this out albeit slowly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Shyam, how is the progress on the penant?
Your wish is my command! Here you go.

Standard cars in India-img_1323.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1326.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1328.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1330.jpg

The rims have been painted, as have the sunvisor and the front bumper bridgepiece.
There's a little welding going on on the inside of the floorboards. Ive given them a can of the Wurth anti-rust coat to apply on the floorpan once all the welding/patchwork's done. Although wondering how they are going to coat the underside.
Meanwhile apart from giving my existing hubcaps for chrome-plating I also got 2 decent enough stainless steel ones from the 'old' scrapmarket the other day! They'd do with just some buffing.

Standard cars in India-img_1331.jpg
Old 8th September 2008, 18:41   #492
BHPian

There is a similar standard as the red one lying in Kolkata on the road, will post pics soon.
Old 13th September 2008, 16:05   #493
BHPian

does any one know who can do authentic work for the mats,firewall insualation,and the gear box cover insulation for the my herald 62
Old 13th September 2008, 22:33   #494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
does any one know who can do authentic work for the mats,firewall insualation,and the gear box cover insulation for the my herald 62
Firstly nice to have another herald owner on the block! That too an early ('62) one! Do post pics. as and when you are able to!
You can get all this done at any experienced (read familiar with old cars!) upholstery/lining maker. As regards authenticity, at the most you could show them pictures of what the original interiors look like, with reference from books/resto. manuals for heralds that you can find online.

Does your herald, being a '62 mk1, have the original pressed cardboard (coated black) dash, as on mine (see pic.), which is undergoing restoration currently.

Standard cars in India-herald05.jpg

And incidentally, here's an update on my pennant- done the spray-coating with WURTH anti-rust on the underside/suspension, engine bay, boot and undersides of the bonnet/dicky (now fitted back), to do the door insides. 'seems to have turned out well so far.

Standard cars in India-img_1375.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1364.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1378.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1380.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1381.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1382.jpg

Ive given the tail-lamps for buffing, then going to fit them. Ive also replaced the RH headlamp housing bowl as it's corroded around the edge.

Standard cars in India-img_1376.jpg

'also brought a pair of Lucas made in england headlamps that I'd got from the scrapyard but the mech. refused to have them and says they are no good as the reflectors inside are corroded on the surface. But I want only these kind of headlamps! Is there any way to get the reflectors re-coated, although he says it isnt possible considering they wouldnt remain sealed headlamps anymore once opened up?
Incidentally, my car did have one of these (right side) originally, but unfortunately the glass had shattered in an unfortunate but thankfully minor accident that occured the night we brought the car home! :(
On the bright side, the guy very generously found me a pair of lovely correct (white) front sidelight lenses that he said was the only pair he found available by chance at a shop! One of them is an original LUCAS Made in England lens with the speckled design so it'd disperse the light inside properly I'm told! I feel they are too good and maybe I should be a tad too careful and fit them on only during rallies etc.?

Standard cars in India-img_1367.jpg
Old 14th September 2008, 03:03   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Firstly nice to have another herald owner on the block! That too an early ('62) one! Do post pics. as and when you are able to!
You can get all this done at any experienced (read familiar with old cars!) upholstery/lining maker. As regards authenticity, at the most you could show them pictures of what the original interiors look like, with reference from books/resto. manuals for heralds that you can find online.

Does your herald, being a '62 mk1, have the original pressed cardboard (coated black) dash, as on mine (see pic.), which is undergoing restoration currently.

Attachment 48998

And incidentally, here's an update on my pennant- done the spray-coating with WURTH anti-rust on the underside/suspension, engine bay, boot and undersides of the bonnet/dicky (now fitted back), to do the door insides. 'seems to have turned out well so far.

Attachment 49041

Attachment 49042

Attachment 49043

Attachment 49044

Attachment 49045

Attachment 49049

Ive given the tail-lamps for buffing, then going to fit them. Ive also replaced the RH headlamp housing bowl as it's corroded around the edge.

Attachment 49055

'also brought a pair of Lucas made in england headlamps that I'd got from the scrapyard but the mech. refused to have them and says they are no good as the reflectors inside are corroded on the surface. But I want only these kind of headlamps! Is there any way to get the reflectors re-coated, although he says it isnt possible considering they wouldnt remain sealed headlamps anymore once opened up?
Incidentally, my car did have one of these (right side) originally, but unfortunately the glass had shattered in an unfortunate but thankfully minor accident that occured the night we brought the car home! :(
On the bright side, the guy very generously found me a pair of lovely correct (white) front sidelight lenses that he said was the only pair he found available by chance at a shop! One of them is an original LUCAS Made in England lens with the speckled design so it'd disperse the light inside properly I'm told! I feel they are too good and maybe I should be a tad too careful and fit them on only during rallies etc.?

Attachment 49050
The Anti-Rust coating is meant for chassis and underbody application, and not for the engine bay. Due to the heat in the engine bay area you will have problems later. Suspension parts especially coil springs and leaf springs should never be coated with anti -rust rubber compound as it will effect the suspension function, all you need to do is a good clean up job and a simple NC paint application. Even the dash needs to be redone totally. I would recommend an FRP (Fibreglass) coating on the inner side to get back the shape and strenth. As I see it in the photographs, there seems to be excessive warping. Even the chrome needs attention.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks