Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2008, 20:35   #586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Uh, sorry but which car are you referring to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Finally found time and inclination to post the latest pics. of my pennant!
Attachment 65207
I meant this one. the angles of the wheels seemed different
Old 24th November 2008, 21:52   #587
BHPian

Hi Shyam,
The car looks very nice. as someone else had pointed out, just check the Toe-in/Toe-out.
Secondly, just lower the sun visor by an inch.
A great effort.Congrats
Old 24th November 2008, 23:30   #588
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys- today is one EXCITING day in my life!

Well, you'd know the saying "What goes around comes around". Now that's what seemed to have happened in my case- literally!

Most of you would remember this car I'd come across some 6 months ago:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/830235-post360.html

Well, to cut a long story short, I didnt succeed in picking it up then because the car happened to be sold by someone in the owner's family without their knowledge and they at once forcibly took the car back from the scrapguy, getting him into a loss and spot of legal trouble as well in the process!

Now a week ago my mechanic told me he got a call from a dealer who told him about a companion available for what sounded like a rather cheap price (by today's "standards") and curiously it struck both our minds that it could be the same one that got away!
And sure enough, on calling up the guy who was said to've bought the car and mentioning details viz. the number, colour etc. we came to know it indeed is! And he also mentioned that he got the original RC with it so off we went to take a look at it.

Standard cars in India-img_1829.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1837.jpg

Its (thankfully!) pretty much in the same condition as was when I first saw it, except that the air-filter was intact the last time!

Standard cars in India-img_0605.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1838.jpg

Upon coming to an agreeable (sort of!) price, we agreed to meet the guy again on his bringing the RC if not with the TO forms so we would pay an advance.
However things didnt go well initially with the guy showing us only a xerox of the RC and demanding 1/2 of the payment!
My mechanic smelt a rat and cautioned me not to go for the deal. Later on working out a plan I had him tell the guy bluntly that he'd either want to get us the actual RC and close the deal with us making the FULL (final) payment in one go, or just forget it!
After a bit of dragging his feet, the guy agreed ('turned out there was yet another guy involved, who kept the RC with himself!) and finally today was the day we successfully took her- well, not home, but the same workshop where my Pennant was (& Herald still is being) worked on.

Standard cars in India-img_1831.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1836.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1842.jpg

The guy claimed the car is good mechanically and that he drove it down to the garage where we picked it up from, although I havent verified it so to confirm!

I plan to do a full stripdown resto on it (at kind of glacial speed mainly due to $ome con$traint$!! )
It was originally black with inevitably red interior, registered in 1962 as MSV 2219 & first owned by a lady in Kilpauk, Madras.
An interesting coincidence is that the 2nd owner (who also was the one who brought the car to Hyd. in 1972 and sold it shortly later) happens to live in our township itself!
I first showed him the RC with his name/address on coming home today and boy was he thrilled (& of course astounded!) 'caused him to reminisce about the day he bought the car from the 1st owner in 1968 for 12k (a good price back then!) and memories with it.
He infact told me that the "Companion" rear badge had fallen off while he had the car and that he'd intended to fix it back but didnt bother when he was selling the car. Yet he had it lying around a long time in his ex-house, eventually lost! He'd driven the car down from Madras, selling it in Hyd. as these cars fetched more here than in Madras so he'd sold it for 15-16k in 1972 after which it was re-reg'd as AAY 3131, changing quite a number of hands since. Curiously all of them had the car for not more than 2-3 years!
It was last reg'd in a Muslim lady's name in '82 (although I understand it still did pass through a couple of unregistered owners, at one point even purpotedly bought by Rashid Mody, only to be bought back by the previous "owner" a year later!) and RC last renewed '95-2000.

Now for another reason for my excitement- its the first CAR that I've ever bought using my earnings (well, partly!)

Last edited by Stanher : 24th November 2008 at 23:34.
Old 24th November 2008, 23:36   #589
Senior - BHPian

Congrats chetta!This Will be a great 'companion' for your penant. All the best for your restoration project! I'm sure she'll be a stunner once complete!

Last edited by JayD : 24th November 2008 at 23:38.
Old 24th November 2008, 23:40   #590
Distinguished - BHPian

Thaaaaank you chettA!!

Yes, "companion for my pennant" is exactly what I too thought of! Inevitably, great minds do think alike, no?

Greenhorn, Mr. Ananth, thanks for pointing out the toe-in issue on the pennant. I'll have it checked by my mechanic. Are new susp. bushes available in your respective hometowns btw??
Old 25th November 2008, 00:41   #591
Senior - BHPian

Hey Shyam, Big Big congratulations buddy ! I think this is the first and only companion in the forum.. ?
It's even more a matter of pride that you bought her with your own earnings !! Good luck for the resto.
Old 25th November 2008, 01:50   #592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Hey Shyam, Big Big congratulations buddy ! I think this is the first and only companion in the forum.. ?
It's even more a matter of pride that you bought her with your own earnings !! Good luck for the resto.
Thanks ravi!
Hmm......let's see. Already a pennant before mine, then a Super 10 too (no need to guess whose! ), heralds of course quite a few.

So yes, that DOES make it the 1st AND ONLY (so far) companion on tbhp!!

Yeah it does feel great that I could 'contribute' a fraction of the amount from my own earnings (shh! dont ask whose the remaining was!)
Old 25th November 2008, 08:28   #593
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shyam - excellent buy. By the way, did you AGAIN check out the road from Balanagar to the now old airport? My engineer who went through that road told me that the companion is still there (missing one wheel).

You seem to have rescued this car from the Chor Bazaarwallah which must have been a touch and go experience. I know. These guys have no rationality and I always deal very firmly. I pay and buy or no deal. There is no other way. It will be best to start anything only after the car is safely in your name for which it is important to ensure a seamless transaction through the RTO.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 25th November 2008, 09:20   #594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shyam - excellent buy. By the way, did you AGAIN check out the road from Balanagar to the now old airport? My engineer who went through that road told me that the companion is still there (missing one wheel).
Yes I did check that road as I had passed by that place quite a few times (last some 6 months ago), there was NO sign of another companion there. Infact I thought this was the car you'd seen there?! Suren told me that this too was lying at the same area until it disappeared one day.

Quote:
You seem to have rescued this car from the Chor Bazaarwallah which must have been a touch and go experience. I know. These guys have no rationality and I always deal very firmly. I pay and buy or no deal.
Actually this guy I bought it from was a broker who is into buying and selling cars (and more often than not they are linked with another guy through another guy etc.! each claiming his own pound of flesh!) and I wonder how he'd managed to butter the previous owners into selling the car considering they'd snatched it back from the scrapwala the last time! Or maybe they thought he's a genuine person and were only against it going to scrap?
Either way, it ultimately ended up in my hands so I'm glad!

Quote:
It will be best to start anything only after the car is safely in your name for which it is important to ensure a seamless transaction through the RTO.
I dont exactly know about the rules in MH but here for the car to be transferred to my name, Ive to get the FC renwed as it'd expired after 2000. So its mandatory to produce it for the FC and there is no way I can get that with the car in this condition! Also sure this restoration wont be feasible at warp speed. You could of course, wangle it by not producing the car also (a friend did so for his '57 fiat), BUT it costs a lot of palm-greasing etc.! Why give them the chance?!

Therefore practically speaking I decided its better I get the car fit first. 'doing the same in case of my herald as well.
Old 25th November 2008, 09:47   #595
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Shyam, the perfect complement to the Pennant. Body looks very straight and solid. Wish you all the best for the restoration.
Old 25th November 2008, 10:09   #596
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shyam - yeah I know that the car has to have a valid "passing" (whatever that means). I "get" it passed (if you know what that means) and then only I start. In case of MRF6466, I was lucky. Although it was not used, it had "current passing" upto 2010. Anyways, best of luck with your transfer process. A small suggestion though - go all the way with the companion if you want a full restoration's worth. This means, open up everything, including the fenders etc.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 25th November 2008, 10:31   #597
Senior - BHPian

Hey Shyam..How do you find these Standards man.Anyway Congratulations and happy restoration.
Btw i spotted a pristine Herald in the Garage of Dr.Shahid ali Khan (Owner of Curewell Hospital) on the Lakdikapul road parked in his garage.Will check if it is up for sale.
Old 25th November 2008, 11:45   #598
BHPian

Hey STanher, Congrats on the acquisition man. Looks like you got here hands full on the resto front eh? What with the Herald and now this waiting to be done up. All the very best for this. Will definitely go by the workshop and look in this evening.
Old 25th November 2008, 16:29   #599
BHPian

Saw this as I was driving around yesterday. Coming to think of it it is rusting in pieces, but since we are chronicling Standards here I guessed this is the right place to post it.

No, the owner is not willing to part with it and don't think he has plans to restore it either.

Standard cars in India-img00106.jpg

Standard cars in India-img00107.jpg

Standard cars in India-img00105.jpg

Standard cars in India-img00100a.jpg

Standard cars in India-img00102.jpg

Standard cars in India-img00104.jpg

Standard cars in India-img00103a.jpg

Standard cars in India-img00101.jpg

Standard cars in India-img00108.jpg

Standard cars in India-img00109.jpg

Standard cars in India-img00110.jpg
Old 25th November 2008, 16:42   #600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Hey STanher, Congrats on the acquisition man. Looks like you got here hands full on the resto front eh? What with the Herald and now this waiting to be done up. All the very best for this. Will definitely go by the workshop and look in this evening.
Thanks Suren. Yup got my hands full (again!) but my pockets nearly empty!

As of today, the Companion has been parked safely inside the garage, and for now is being a very dedicated companion to my Herald!

Standard cars in India-img_1845.jpg

BTW Suren, didnt you tell me that you'd see this very car sitting by the roadside near that bridge to Balanagar for quite a while?
Behram speaks of another one at that spot! So did the mech. at this garage. But I didnt see any whenever I passed by that side. How about you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Hey Shyam..How do you find these Standards man.
:sigh: Bad luck I guess!

Quote:
Anyway Congratulations and happy restoration.
Btw i spotted a pristine Herald in the Garage of Dr.Shahid ali Khan (Owner of Curewell Hospital) on the Lakdikapul road parked in his garage.Will check if it is up for sale.
Thanks.
You neednt take the trouble of checking if it is for sale, because it indeed IS, at a very obscene price!
No need to even take the trouble of going for pics.! Check this out:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/815878-post330.html

No offence but you need to drop by in this thread more often Ram!

Of course there is its history (an ex-dharampur herald) and obvious condition, but even then, not that price! Oh well, to each his own!

Last edited by Stanher : 25th November 2008 at 16:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks