Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 00:18   #676
Distinguished - BHPian

hotstuff,
This is a mk1 herald. 'looks very original atleast on the outside, and vvery decent, despite those silly decals on the side.
Maybe someone like bluestraveller would be keen on this!

Got any leads on the owner's whereabouts?? Do try your best to find out please!

I'd stayed at a relative's place in Indiranagar (somewhere near HAL 2nd stage or so) when I'd visited B'lore in 2007. I never saw this car around then but I guess, going by what you say, the car was still running then!

It's a pity complete cars like these get neglected and abandoned, eventually falling prey to the scrappers, while lesser examples are put up for sale at a ridiculous price! :sigh:
Old 29th January 2009, 10:43   #677
Distinguished - BHPian

Well guys, 'been meaning to update this thread since long!

One good news I'd like to share: I've become a member of the STANDARD MOTOR CLUB, UK!

Registering wasn't as complicated as I'd thought and I've already received a copy of the club mags. plus a booklet on Standard cars.

I'm already in the process of ordering spares for my current cars, particularly my Companion, which is in the process of restoration.

Also, most of you would remember this mk2 herald, which is undergoing restoration in the garage where my cars are being done up:
The body has finally been refitted to the chassis and so have the doors/bonnet as well. They are in the process of aligning the panel gaps etc.

Standard cars in India-img_2230.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_2231.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_2236.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_2234.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_2232.jpg

They are using some canvas like mounts for body-to-chassis, which are used commonly on lorries (trucks) as they say rubber tends to get distorted with time, requiring sooner replacement. However, the gap between the rear outriggers of the chassis and the rear body tub seems too wide! Maybe they'd make some adjustment on it eventually.

I can't wait to see this car done (mainly so they can then resume work on my cars! )

Last edited by Stanher : 29th January 2009 at 10:51.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:49   #678
Distinguished - BHPian

A Vanguard Phase 1 taxi here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1154478-post27.html
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:00   #679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Wow, an old Madras taxi! 'surprised that one still is around, despite being off-road!Incidentally, stampro had mentioned an old tamil movie that featured a vanguard ph1 taxi throughout......I wonder if this was the one?? 'looks quite complete but considering it's in madras (atleast going by the no.) I don't know the extent of the corrosion on it!
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:27   #680
BHPian

hi stanher , any idea where i can get the front windsheild rubber beading? the one on my car has totally hardened up and cracking.
Old 3rd February 2009, 22:03   #681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
hi stanher , any idea where i can get the front windsheild rubber beading? the one on my car has totally hardened up and cracking.
Well, to be honest, I too have run out of sources for this! The last pair I'd got for front and rear was from Madras (courtesy Suren181), which was later taken by another fellow bhpian. For mine I had imported a set from the UK.....but you need to specifiy that you need one without the need for a metal trim, as nearly all the UK Heralds had those fitted in their windscreen beadings.
Old 3rd February 2009, 23:39   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

the junked herald

'got to check out in more detail this junking mk1 herald that I'd posted about in the R.I.P thread the other day.....and was able to take better pics.
In the meantime, someone's advertised their mobile nos. (up-side-down!) on the front windscreen- other interested buyers??
Standard cars in India-junkbeg1.jpg

Standard cars in India-junkbeg3.jpg

This car surprisingly has the air vent on the bonnet (circled) shaped like that on the early mk1 heralds, plus the rear badge had been on the top centre of the bootlid, above the no.plate lamp.....yet the front sidelights are from later years. Plus going by the no. it is definitely a '63 mk1.

Standard cars in India-junkbeg2.jpg

'couldn't take pics. of the interior; there is hardly anything left in there for that matter- the dash (seemed wood veneer one, I suspect it had a Smiths speedo though) is completely ripped off, jus the centre piece with the switches hanging on, seats all torn....looked like the US army had an ambush in it on the way to Iraq!
The body isn't too rusted yet, but suffers quite a lot of damage, especially on the right runner board and rear bumper, plus the exhaust, which look all bent and dented. 'looks like the car had been pushed/dragged roughly to it's present spot!

Personally, I felt it can be restored (although to be done meticulously!)...my mech. however, felt otherwise. Yet, seeing my keenness, he asked me for a couple of days' time so he could try and find out the whereabouts of the owner. 'turns out someone he knew knows of this car as well, and had once asked the owners for it when they were living in this house. They'd however, refused, saying that it was their father's "nishAni" etc. etc.....sounds familiar?!
I fear it'll end up deteriorating all the more in the days to come, once the house demolition is in full swing!

Last edited by Stanher : 3rd February 2009 at 23:46.
Old 4th February 2009, 12:09   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstuff View Post
A Standard from Indiranagar, Blr...
Apologies for the sub-standard pics ;-)

I think the car was in running condition till less than a year? ago.

A couple of months and this car will be ready for the 'Rusting in peace' thread.

Attachment 90899

Attachment 90900
i detest putting sun film on an old car.how could someone?
Old 4th February 2009, 14:08   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunroy View Post
Any car thats over 30 years old is classified as Vintage. Correct me I am wrong.

BTW, The Standard herald was the car that was given only to the CMDs' of the Company for their official use. It was quite a classy car in its days. Had a wnderful Floor shift unlike the Ambys and the Fiats. I wonder if anyone can provide the actual cost of the new car in those days, the late 60s and the early 70s.

So long....
sorry to correct you, a 30year old car is not even a recent classic,leave alone vintage!!!.anycar before 1940 is called vintage car between 1940 and 1960 a classic and after that upto 1970 is called recent classic.
Old 4th February 2009, 14:13   #685
BHPian

stanher , with regards to the phone numbers being upside down ,may be the car was upside down for a while.
Old 4th February 2009, 18:23   #686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
stanher , with regards to the phone numbers being upside down ,may be the car was upside down for a while.
Haha! Good one.......but then I didn't find the numbers or the other graffiti on the glass when I'd first seen the car (see the pic. I took then, in the R.I.P thread)
BTW, about your herald- does it say '62 or '63 in the RC??
As, like this car, it too has a similar bonnet vent but later type sidelights.......plus you said the dash/meters look the later type?

Last edited by Stanher : 4th February 2009 at 18:27.
Old 4th February 2009, 18:45   #687
BHPian

will check and put up some pics also , its at the garage for brake work.
Old 4th February 2009, 23:26   #688
Distinguished - BHPian

Sure siddhartha! Do let me know soon, thanks!

The other day I was watching on DVD this old tamil movie "Ninaithathai mudippavan" ('had to read that name nearly a dozen times to learn it by heart, even though it was put in English as well!), an early 70s MGR-starrer, which happens to be based entirely on the Rajesh Khanna double-action movie "Sachcha Jhoota" of the same time, barring a few small changes in the ending. In fact some scenes from the latter (not involving the actors) have even been cut and pasted into the reel of this movie!

This movie being shot in Madras (as it was then called, so...! ), I got quite a visual treat with seeing various standard cars and vans of the time, including a Pennant in the same colour combo as mine!!

In one scene of this movie, (shot near Island ground/Madras univ. I guess) among the traffic passing by on the road in the background, there appeared this rare, unusual Herald delivery van (excuse the lousy pics., I guess it's high time we got an LCD Plasma/flat-screen TV! ) which I could get just a few snaps of. Although it wasn't terribly clear, I could make out that the body post the bonnet is not like any normal Heralds, it's as though the doors and rest of the bodytub is an entire fabricated coachwork!

Standard cars in India-img_2384.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_2386.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_2391.jpg

And this made me suspect that this car was either a "high-roof" van based on a UK-made prototype (but dropped in favour of the "courier van" and claimed to be sent to India eventually):

http://www.aronline.co.uk/images/lcvcdvmed_21.jpg

........but then the above retained the herald tail-fins whereas this one I saw had none! So guessed it was the equally unpopular Herald "front-end unit", a chassis-cab version of the herald introduced by Standard Motors, Madras around the mid 60s. This is a scan of an original sales brochure bought by an enthusiast in the UK!

Standard cars in India-front1.jpg

'also saw what looks like a Standard Atlas van (had a 948cc herald/10 engine), which looked brand new in this scene! 'can imagine how it must've transformed after years of rough use as a commercial and then finally put to rust/rest!

Standard cars in India-img_2393.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 4th February 2009 at 23:30.
Old 6th February 2009, 09:34   #689
Distinguished - BHPian

A very early Standard convertible is spotted here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1155941-post3.html

John, any more details? Harit?
Old 6th February 2009, 10:56   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A very early Standard convertible is spotted here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1155941-post3.html

John, any more details? Harit?
Karl, are you referring to just the post in the above link or the entire thread??
Because there is NO Herald, conv. or otherwise, seen in the pics. in this post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks