Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2008, 09:47   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The local chaps do a nickel chroming rather than copper, which is what should be done. Even the copper jobs Ive seen are simply not up to the mark. They may look good for a year or two, then you have to redo it every couple of years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Thats why I said I'm not touching it now. BTW, about those brand new stainless steel hubcaps you'd told me about- any chance of getting them in Pune (even good second-hand ones will do)
The spares guy I told them about said he'll order a set but still no news from him!

And any pointers about fitting the jalwa horns? How are they mounted on your pennant?
Old 29th September 2008, 10:43   #527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats why I said I'm not touching it now.
What I mean is don't touch them later too.

Quote:
BTW, about those brand new stainless steel hubcaps you'd told me about- any chance of getting them in Pune (even good second-hand ones will do)
The spares guy I told them about said he'll order a set but still no news from him!
Lets see if I can pick up a set. I will need one more set next week anyways. Watch this space!

Quote:
And any pointers about fitting the jalwa horns? How are they mounted on your pennant?
There is a bracket to be fashioned as illustrated. If it isn't clear enough, I shall take better pictures and post them.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-jalwa02.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 29th September 2008, 10:53   #528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Lets see if I can pick up a set. I will need one more set next week anyways. Watch this space!
Thanks, I'd greatly appreciate that!

Quote:
There is a bracket to be fashioned as illustrated. If it isn't clear enough, I shall take better pictures and post them.
Thanks again. So I udnerstand its better to fit them onto the horizontal surface of the bulkhead rather than mount them up on the vertical wall (as I'd shown with a circle in my pic?)
Old 30th September 2008, 08:54   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, the horn fitting issue is finally solved. I showed them the pics. of Karl's horns but they pointed out that they come in the way of the engine block/tappet cover so in case of any major repairs, the horns would have to be removed first every time.
So they fitted them directly onto the firewall, as seen.

Standard cars in India-img_1524.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1525.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1526.jpg

Front sidelights also in place now, bootlid handles also correctly fitted and working ('turns out the locking handle should come on the right)

Standard cars in India-img_1520.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1527.jpg

They were supposed to take the car to the upholstery guy yesterday but although the car did start, there was a problem with the clutch cyliner again! 'turns out the oil wasnt reaching down the slave cylinder so the gears werent falling in place!

'finally called up my mech. and he was busy then, said he'll fix it today.

Incidentally, I had a chance of starting up the car yesterday for the 2nd time after I bought it! And I noticed how it'd feel a bit 'cramped' for a tall person- note my knee touching the switches! And I'm not even as tall as most guys of my gen. Karl, have you ever faced this?

Standard cars in India-img_1528.jpg

This being an English car, I wonder how the westerners, normally being taller than the average Indians, managed to fold themselves in behind the wheel!
Old 30th September 2008, 09:40   #530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Incidentally, I had a chance of starting up the car yesterday for the 2nd time after I bought it! And I noticed how it'd feel a bit 'cramped' for a tall person- note my knee touching the switches! And I'm not even as tall as most guys of my gen. Karl, have you ever faced this?
While it is a tad cramped, Ive never found it uncomfortable. Your left foot will be outstretched while driving using the clutch, so it shouldn't touch the switches. The seats are adjustable, slide it all the way back.
Old 30th September 2008, 10:42   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautifully coming along Shyam. Congratulations. I understand that there is a black Standard Super 10 in regular use in Jabalpur with a parsi lady ---.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th September 2008, 14:06   #532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Beautifully coming along Shyam. Congratulations. I understand that there is a black Standard Super 10 in regular use in Jabalpur with a parsi lady ---.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks, and Good Luck!

Update: Nothing happened as yet today! There was incidentally some minor earthing problem yesterday which has been sorted out by the electrician I'm told.
But my mech. who was supposed to come with me today to fix the clutch slave cyl. couldnt make it as there's some kind of curfew/bandh going on in the "old city" today as some MLA expired. So no buses/autos running there he said!! A real disappointment indeed!

Hopefully by tomorrow we can take it to get the door-pads etc. refitted and then the rubbing/polishing done.
Old 30th September 2008, 14:40   #533

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Why dont we look somewhere closer to home for a Standard 10 instead??
Old 30th September 2008, 15:01   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Why dont we look somewhere closer to home for a Standard 10 instead??
Man how I wish I'd known you guys atleast 10 years ago! These cars couldve been had for peanuts back then! I'd once witnessed a forlorn but complete/original white and green Pennant being broken around 7-8 years ago! It still had the original seats in the correct stitch pattern! I still remember the no. too- APQ 365!
Unfortunately I'd arrived there a bit too late to save the car, it was already dismantled and the body being carted off on a rickshaw!
And I foolishly didnt pick up anything from it (barring the round lid for the tappet cover) as I didnt have such a car then nor did I even know Karl yet!

Quote:
While it is a tad cramped, Ive never found it uncomfortable. Your left foot will be outstretched while driving using the clutch, so it shouldn't touch the switches. The seats are adjustable, slide it all the way back.
Whoops!! Yessire that slipped my mind, hehe!
Old 30th September 2008, 23:22   #535
Senior - BHPian

Shyam, the interior of your car rocks, man - I'm floored by the ivory white and silver look of your steering / dash. So cool, so period.
I'll confess, I was never a big fan of Pennants. (The Herald - yes, I'm a complete devotee and feel this is one of the top three Indian cars where purity of looks is concerned). But the way your pennant is turning out, has made me fall hook, line and sinker for the "10" ! Keep it up buddy !

Last edited by SuperSelect : 30th September 2008 at 23:31.
Old 1st October 2008, 07:59   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you very much for your comments, ravi!

And also glad that my car made your head turn towards the "10s" as well!

'called up my mech. again last night. He said they have Eid tomorrow so fortunately he'd be able to come and fix the clutch line today.
Old 2nd October 2008, 09:40   #537
Distinguished - BHPian

A Vanguard Phase 2 taxi picture from Harit

Quote:
We really need some change from Pennants and Heralds in the Standard thread. So a Standard Vanguard Taxi. Then there was a Pic of an Oldsmobile in Taxi colours, and in a following post someone wanted to see more taxi's. So here is one!
This pic was taken by me in Ooty, in the 1st half of 1990's. It was a change from the usual American Taxis. At that time this was probably one of very few left. There was also a Chevy Fleetmaster in Ooty, a non runner. Shall post soon.

Harit
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-cxc.jpg  

Old 2nd October 2008, 14:50   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, I actually let out a gasp of excitement when I saw the Vanguard!!

I guess this is the first time I'm seeing a taxi among these although I did hear of them being such as such!

First half of the 90s- I'd been there in '93 with my family. If only I'd come across this car then I'd have a similar photo to share!
Old 3rd October 2008, 18:21   #539
Distinguished - BHPian

After the brief change with the Vanguard taxi, I guess its time for reverting to the "basic" standards!

'finally got my mech. to fix the troublesome clutch MC the other day by fitting a new washer kit inside the old one, so threw out the "new" local make MC and original Girling one back in place!

Standard cars in India-img_1529.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1536.jpg

And relieved that finally we got the pennant to the upholstery man today (luckily not too far from the garage) to correct the size of the door pads and stitch the remaining floor mats. He should be done tomorrow morning following which it'll be back at the garage for the rubbing/polishing/final touches. I'm keen on getting the whole thing finished by sunday.

Standard cars in India-img_1545.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1547.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1548.jpg

Aside, 'glad I got to take some proper snaps of the car for a change, especially the front, ever since it was painted!
Old 3rd October 2008, 19:27   #540
BHPian

I had warned you about the poor quality Indian MC,s

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks