Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2008, 20:09   #496
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
The Anti-Rust coating is meant for chassis and underbody application, and not for the engine bay. Due to the heat in the engine bay area you will have problems later.
Thanks for letting me know. I wish I'd consulted a few people before going ahead with this!

Can any normal paint like dull black be applied over this then? I shall ask the mechs. about this as well.

But IMHO the battery tray area alone would be better off being anit-rust coated, as that is where the maximum corrosion takes place otherwise?

Quote:
Even the dash needs to be redone totally. I would recommend an FRP (Fibreglass) coating on the inner side to get back the shape and strenth. As I see it in the photographs, there seems to be excessive warping. Even the chrome needs attention.
I didnt want to touch the dash, atleast not for now, as its relatively better than the exterior bodywork and I wanted to preserve it as it is. Similarly 'didnt want to take off the side-trims as I was afraid about having difficulty in fitting them back, finding/fabricating clips to do so etc.
Old 15th September 2008, 02:16   #497
BHPian

I am afraid application of black paint dull or otherwise will not help. Hope for the best.

S.B.Jatti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Thanks for letting me know. I wish I'd consulted a few people before going ahead with this!

Can any normal paint like dull black be applied over this then? I shall ask the mechs. about this as well.

But IMHO the battery tray area alone would be better off being anit-rust coated, as that is where the maximum corrosion takes place otherwise?

I didnt want to touch the dash, atleast not for now, as its relatively better than the exterior bodywork and I wanted to preserve it as it is. Similarly 'didnt want to take off the side-trims as I was afraid about having difficulty in fitting them back, finding/fabricating clips to do so etc.
Old 15th September 2008, 15:20   #498
BANNED

Dont know much about Standards but one is laying down in our apartment, its Standard Gazel and looking on its stikers put by some garazes shows that she was running till now may be till 2006-2007, body is in great condition apart from few rust which is obvious, most of original parts are intact and car is in very much restorable condition, dont have funds to buy and restore, may be some interested Standard lovers can save this beauti.
Old 15th September 2008, 15:35   #499
BHPian

thanx stanher,
this is the pic ,,

with regards
siddartha santosh
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-siddarthaherald.jpg  

Old 15th September 2008, 15:48   #500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
I am afraid application of black paint dull or otherwise will not help. Hope for the best.
Well, now for some good news! I asked the chief mech. (seen in one of the pics. here) what paint they'd actually applied for the engine bay and he confirmed that it is not the anti-rust chassis paint but plain black paint!! Phewwwwwww....thats a BIG relief!! He seemed quite surprised when I told him I first assumed it to be the chassis paint the other day! And yes, I should've been able to tell considering the paint there was still wet for a long time, unlike WURTH chassis paint, which dries quickly!! D-uh!

Well, all's well that ends well I guess!

And now further updates- the tail-lights are back from buffing and fitted- they sure look fab! And so do the front sidelight holders.

Standard cars in India-img_1385.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1386.jpg

Also inside of the doors/flooring etc. have been WURTH coated- this time I checked whether it was the chassis paint or not for sure! The door surround red piping (original) also has been refitted.

Standard cars in India-img_1387.jpg

'cant wait to get her complete!
Old 15th September 2008, 15:56   #501
Distinguished - BHPian

I notice the front parking light rings are from a Gazel. A wise decision, the originals do a terrible job of holding the glass in place.
Old 15th September 2008, 16:12   #502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I notice the front parking light rings are from a Gazel. A wise decision, the originals do a terrible job of holding the glass in place.
Well, I guess thats good then!
I dont recall if our gazel had the same kind of rings or not though- we'd lost the whole front sidelights long ago! :(

Btw, any pics. of what the originals on pennants look like? Just curious, not intending to try for them or anything.

@sidhartha: nice herald you've got there! 'looks very complete except for the front sidelights, which are from a later mk1. Since I recall you saying your herald was a '62, this is what the original sidelights would be like, fitted on my '62 herald (now undergoing restoration)
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-img_0491.jpg  

Last edited by Stanher : 15th September 2008 at 16:16.
Old 17th September 2008, 19:09   #503
Senior - BHPian

Found this car in dadar. Is it a fiat..??

Heres the car.
Standard cars in India-300820081097.jpg

Standard cars in India-300820081098.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 18th September 2008 at 04:44. Reason: Moved.
Old 17th September 2008, 19:15   #504
BHPian

Dan that is a Standard Herald
Old 17th September 2008, 19:16   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
A picture says it all!!! This apparently, was a registration used in Bihar. I want this car JUST for this number!!!
There are 3-4 Fiats with BHP series in Pune. There is also one PAL 5000 or 500, ideal for Premier Auto Ltd PAL. One MTJ 1100 with huge alloys I used to see regularly, but not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Found this car in dadar. Is it a fiat..??
Thats a Standard Herald Mk 1. And quite a sad one at that!
Old 17th September 2008, 19:35   #506
Senior - BHPian

That's a Mk1 herald Danlan,a very sad looking specimen. Is it still being used??
Old 17th September 2008, 22:17   #507

Damn! Why has he guy made like extra bumpers and stuff??? Darn Ugly!!
Old 17th September 2008, 22:55   #508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Damn! Why has he guy made like extra bumpers and stuff??? Darn Ugly!!
What extra bumpers are you talking about dikra?? There are none AFA I can see. Those are very much the original bumpers but horribly disfigured, both front and rear ones fused and welded onto the bodyshell, looking like the lower half of teh car was heated to almost melting point!!! Ewwww!!

Incidentally Cy, your dad once recalled that a colleague of his, a Mr. _____ Vakeel at mahindra who was then a junior engineer back in the early 80s, had a green herald that also had a MRD regn. I was told the gent now is a Sr. GM or something and has a Civic.
I wonder if this could be the same herald? Your dad may be able to recognise the number?

Last edited by aah78 : 18th September 2008 at 04:44. Reason: Moved. Thanks!
Old 23rd September 2008, 21:26   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally an update again on my pennant! Got most of the mechanicals sorted out today, my mech's replaced the leaking clutch master cylinder with a new one (albeit temporarily as I dont quite like the quality of this one compared to the original Girling ones) and also the dynamo. The engine-water-pump packing kit has to be changed.

Door-pads and seats going in tomorrow. Plus rubbing/polishing, then the other fittings back in place.
Good news is Ive got some leads on new front/rear windscreen rubbers available in Kerala! No idea exactly where though, the guy will be leaving this week.
However, most likely 'cant have them in time for the rally so will have to manage with the existing one for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-img_1446.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_1451.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_1453.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2008, 22:15   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Good news is Ive got some leads on new front/rear windscreen rubbers available in Kerala! No idea exactly where though, the guy will be leaving this week.
However, most likely 'cant have them in time for the rally so will have to manage with the existing one for now.
If you need to change the rubbers, you could alter one from the rear glass of the Maruti van. It being the longest, it is useful in many older cars. Ive put them on my Beetle till I get the originals. They will look very close to the originals for the Pennant as well, as the profile is the same and there is no trim.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks