Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2008, 15:37   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

OK guys, seen the car again today. Final coat's done on the upper half. Blue part is going to be sprayed tomorrow.

Karl these are especially for you! Check out the shade now!

Standard cars in India-img_1270.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1272.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1274.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1275.jpg

Ive taken even the interior so we can compare with the old shade on the dash and inner door pillar.

Standard cars in India-img_1276.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1277.jpg

Although not all the pics. do justice as far as showing the exact shade is concerned. Seen in full light, it should end up looking like this restored pennant, photo courtesy JayD chettAn!

Standard cars in India-pen_ker.jpg
Old 31st August 2008, 17:44   #467
BHPian

Dear Stanher,
I feel your Sebring White shade is darker than the original. After one/two more coats, & then the clear, it could become darker. The original color is Winchester Blue & Sebring white-ICI paints
Old 31st August 2008, 19:31   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a reminder - Once the painting is complete, purchase a rubber ring for the filler cap. The MM Mahindra 540 unit works well. It stretches a bit as the fitting is oblong, but is easily available and practically disposable once worn.
Old 31st August 2008, 20:36   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
Dear Stanher,
I feel your Sebring White shade is darker than the original. After one/two more coats, & then the clear, it could become darker. The original color is Winchester Blue & Sebring white-ICI paints
Thanks for letting me know- I'll check out the blue shade.
However, I'm told there are no more coats and no clear coat in this, as its a Duco paint. This is the final coat followed by rubbing.
Btw, wasnt sebring white a pure-ish shade o white, available on heralds only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Just a reminder - Once the painting is complete, purchase a rubber ring for the filler cap. The MM Mahindra 540 unit works well. It stretches a bit as the fitting is oblong, but is easily available and practically disposable once worn.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Last edited by Stanher : 31st August 2008 at 20:38.
Old 1st September 2008, 07:47   #470
BHPian

Sorry I did make a mistake. Penants white was Beach White. Sebring was herald's. Clear coat gives the sheen.
Old 1st September 2008, 13:41   #471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
Sorry I did make a mistake. Penants white was Beach White. Sebring was herald's. Clear coat gives the sheen.
Yes Beach white- that rings a bell!

I guess it got its name from the colour of the sands on some of the beaches in the world (like maybe on Peter Island, where the water is nearly crystal clear as well! OK, 'nuff digressing! )

Incidentally even otherwise I wouldnt want it to be pure white as with the blue combo it'd look like the police vehicles here!

As for clear coat, I'm told it is done only in case of 2k paints? Ive never known it being done on duco paints, for which you need to apply the old rubbing job after painting. Also for clear coat I think you get best results if the old paint is scraped off first? I didnt want to go to the extent of doing that here as I'd have to strip the whole car.

Last edited by Stanher : 1st September 2008 at 14:00.
Old 2nd September 2008, 19:52   #472
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's my pennant again- the lower (blue) half has been painted today, one more coat to go.

'seems to have come out allright to me.

These are taken without the flash. But still look bright.

Standard cars in India-img_1290.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1298.jpg

Also, I happened to see these spreads of red paint on my herald as it had some gypsy parts put on it while being painted. 'makes me feel that red would suit this car well- considering painting it signal red with the white but 99% keen on sticking to the original colour combo (the original litchfield green shade can be seen on the inside of the doors.)

Standard cars in India-img_1302.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-img_1289.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_1287.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_1297.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_1291.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_1295.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2008, 21:29   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Here's my pennant again- the lower (blue) half has been painted today, one more coat to go.
This combo looks nice. I especially like the blue...Stanher, what is this shade known as? Or did you get it mixed?
Old 2nd September 2008, 21:52   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
This combo looks nice. I especially like the blue...Stanher, what is this shade known as? Or did you get it mixed?
Thanks! I can tell why you liked the blue though!
Its given as TATA BLUE. 'wonder why! I doubt if they'd mixed it- they suggested using original clours only, so next time whenever I need a touch-up it wouldnt be a problem getting the desired shade, rather than mixing. Well, let's see this time...!

Last edited by Stanher : 2nd September 2008 at 21:54.
Old 2nd September 2008, 21:56   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its given as TATA BLUE. 'wonder why!
I think the earliest 207s and light trucks had a similar colour, cant quite tell from the pictures.

As kids we would paint my grandmothers kitchen and cabinets every year in "Tata Mimosa Yellow", a characteristic light mustardish shade common on TMB trucks.
Old 2nd September 2008, 22:27   #476

The Penant looks Beautiful. But how is it that the car is being restored in Warp speed??
Old 3rd September 2008, 00:01   #477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
The Penant looks Beautiful. But how is it that the car is being restored in Warp speed??
Thank you Cy!
Warp speed?? Imagine the time when I'd tried to bring heaven and earth together to get her done up for 15th august intitially?!

Anyways, this is not a ground-up job- I dont want to get into that right now, as I'd mentioned.
I'm leaving the car basically untouched from inside. 'only doing it up from the outside as it was inevitable. 'didnt tkae off the glass as I dont have new windscreen rubbers to replace the old ones though.
Old 4th September 2008, 12:04   #478
BHPian

Shyam, the Pennant is turning out to be a stunner for sure. The body line looks much more better than the Black Pennant that was posted in the Classics available thread.

Looking forward to seeing her when she is through with her cosmetics.

Has the reverse gear issue been settled already? Do try hard and source whitewalls for the car they'd definitely add to the character.
Old 4th September 2008, 18:54   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Shyam, the Pennant is turning out to be a stunner for sure. The body line looks much more better than the Black Pennant that was posted in the Classics available thread.

Looking forward to seeing her when she is through with her cosmetics.

Has the reverse gear issue been settled already? Do try hard and source whitewalls for the car they'd definitely add to the character.
Thank you for your feedback, Suren! 'was looking forward to hearing from you!

The gearshaft has been slightly repaired, a more thorough job needs to be done then it'll work allright.

Believe me, I AM trying for whitewalls! And now that you mentioned it, perhaps I could trouble you a little in this regard?!

Anyways, here are today's pics. with the final blue coat done. Except for the 1st 2 pics., the paint looks a little darker than it actually is in all the pics.!
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-img_1303.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_1308.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_1310.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_1315.jpg  

Old 5th September 2008, 00:53   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Believe me, I AM trying for whitewalls! And now that you mentioned it, perhaps I could trouble you a little in this regard?!
Stanher the car is looking great. the colour a blue looks a bit too bright to the rest of the car, but i guess it would settle in once the polishing and all happens. overall i am waiting to see it completed.

why dont you try for the whitewall flaps, instead of whitwall tyres. i am useing them on my packard and i have them for the others as well. this gives you the liberty to use any tyre and you can just glue this on. i have imported these for many cars as well and you cannot make out the difference, till you look closely.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks