Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2012, 13:16   #1441
BANNED

Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
If you've gone through and understood my previous posts in this regard, you'll find that I had in fact justified my statement about this car being a Triumph Herald.
Sorry, although I have read your posts I haven't understood them and here's why:

In the last post after all our discussions on the missing / changed items, you finally said that if a pic of the engine compartment was there it would help resolve the issue thus:

Quote:
If there were pics. of the engine compartment it could be easier to ascertain as the 1200 had a different carb/air-filter which was the most noticeable.
So Karlosdeville posted a pic of the engine compartment in his post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here you go, a picture I took of the engine bay.
To which you responded with a reply similar to all the other points showing it was a Standard Herald:

Quote:
The engine appears to be a 948 but again could have been put in at a later stage too...!
and then without any further points said:

Quote:
To conclude, this car is, suffice to say, a mix and match.
So it would be good to hear your points and be informed on why it is a Triumph Herald.
Old 28th May 2012, 18:44   #1442
Senior - BHPian

A Herald leading an Amby.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-hera.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 18:53   #1443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
and then without any further points said:
So it would be good to hear your points and be informed on why it is a Triumph Herald.
I've already stated my points about its certainty of being a Triumph Herald fitted with 'desi' Herald parts and as for my final point, what was wrong in it?? Maybe 'mix and match' wasnt precise/accurate enough to label it as but I figured everyone would get what I mean.

And my point about the engine being changed was a speculation (I said 'could have been' in my post which you have quoted)

OTOH, all the points you stated to justify it being a Standard Herald turned out to be easily unconvincing. Especially the part about the tail-fin beadings where you mentioned that Herald 1200s never had the vertical parallel ones! but only the top ones, which is not correct.
Old 28th May 2012, 21:43   #1444
BANNED

Quote:
certainty of being a Triumph Herald fitted with 'desi' Herald parts.
This is exactly the point - how do you say it is a Triumph Herald when there is not even a single Triumph Herald part on the car? A specific answer to this question hasn’t been given except for a "general build quality" and the conjecture that the owner "wasn't net savvy enough to get the replacement parts from ebay". Those points do not hold water while arriving at the classification of a car with a vintage tag as it isn’t a technical point but a vague conjecture. More so, If the car was so badly used that every single Triumph Herald part had gone as is the case, then your premise of the "build quality" would also not be valid because a car that has lost so many parts would have been 'rebuilt' to bring it to the current condition.

It is even more baffling since you have started by stating

Quote:
As mentioned it is NOT a Standard Herald but a Triumph one by all means.
but haven’t given any of the “means“ (technically valid points and not conjectures such as owner may not have been net savvy etc).

It may therefore be better to close this discussion with our own individual views because I do not see any technical points coming into the discussion except for dismissing every technical point given with reasons such as lost / damaged / replaced etc.

Cheers!
Old 16th June 2012, 20:29   #1445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Standard that I spoke of yesterday. This one is in a rotting condition, but very original. It is to undergo restoration at a local garage. The car is in safe hands now. The new owner is quite well known to me and is a vintage aficionado.The headlight glasses, cut out and distributor are Lucas "Made in England". The meters are made by Jaeger. The lock on the driver's side door (outside) is integrated with the door opening lever and not with the button attached to the lever. In most other cars including the Landmaster/ Ambassador the door lock is integrated with the button.
The pictures:
Attachment 878712

Attachment 878713

Attachment 878719

Attachment 878721

Attachment 878724

Attachment 878727

The driver's seat of this car and also the Standard Super 10 (or Super 8) were so low in height, that even tall persons would look short from the outside. For average height persons, the neck and head would be visible from the outside and not the shoulders !
Today I checked up and found that the car has been made fit. It is back in good running condition. The new owner is proud to own the car. It starts with just half the self engaged.
Since the owner and restorer are my good friends, I would not like to comment on the work done and the quality of restoration. The older pictures of the car can be also seen here in the same post. The only positive outcome of the whole process is that a rotting car has been made fit and fine and roadworthy!

Standard cars in India-dsc08737.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc08742.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc09433.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc09434.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc09435.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc09436.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc09437.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc09438.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc09439.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc09440.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc09441.jpg
Standard cars in India-dsc09442.jpg
Standard cars in India-dsc09443.jpg
Standard cars in India-dsc09444.jpg
Standard cars in India-dsc09445.jpg
Standard cars in India-dsc09446.jpg
Old 16th June 2012, 21:26   #1446
Senior - BHPian

I guess the car is restored by "The Babubhai". BTW there are two cars one at Dev garage, Laxmi nagar and one at a garage near Lokmat square.
Old 16th June 2012, 22:52   #1447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Today I checked up and found that the car has been made fit. It is back in good running condition. The new owner is proud to own the car.The only positive outcome of the whole process is that a rotting car has been made fit and fine and roadworthy!
Well, in understanding of your post, even I would not like to comment on the job done, but....I cant help feeling...

But what happened to all the side-pattis?? Why havent they been refitted yet? And what's with the Amby tail-lamps??!! Didnt the car have the original ones intact?!

If the owner requires an original set, I have one with me BTW.

Also whats that strange camber on the rear wheel? 'hope it hasnt been fitted with a Herald rear axle (normally twas the other way round...lol!)

Last edited by Stanher : 16th June 2012 at 22:53.
Old 17th June 2012, 20:34   #1448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, in understanding of your post, even I would not like to comment on the job done, but....I cant help feeling...

But what happened to all the side-pattis?? Why havent they been refitted yet? And what's with the Amby tail-lamps??!! Didnt the car have the original ones intact?!

If the owner requires an original set, I have one with me BTW.

Also whats that strange camber on the rear wheel? 'hope it hasnt been fitted with a Herald rear axle (normally twas the other way round...lol!)
Thanks for your concern. I am not aware about the rear axle swap. It was not fitted lately, but this may have been done earlier.You can also check the old green and cream paint pictures to confirm your assertion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
I guess the car is restored by "The Babubhai". BTW there are two cars one at Dev garage, Laxmi nagar and one at a garage near Lokmat square.
No this is a new entrant in this field.
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:24   #1449
Senior - BHPian

How many Standard's do you see? I see atleast three.
Is this Chennai?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-standard.jpg  

harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:59   #1450
Senior - BHPian

Its Chennai Central (Madras Central) Rly Station.

If you count the van I think there 4 Standards in there

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 2nd July 2012, 18:57   #1451
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
How many Standard's do you see? I see atleast three.
Is this Chennai?
Technically it is Madras (as it was then called ), and as ram said, the building is Madras Central Station.

This must have been a little before the Herald was introduced, hence we see only Super 10/Pennant cars so maybe early 60s.
Old 3rd July 2012, 03:46   #1452
Distinguished - BHPian

Standard cars - Delhi Durbar

A fleet of Standards, for the Delhi Durbar 1911,shown in London.
Two 20 H.P. cars were reserved for the personal use of Their Imperial Majesties.

source:The Autocar, Sept 1911

Standard cars in India-delhi-durbar-standard-fleet.jpg
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:38   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this standard in chennai a while back. Looks like an abandoned resto project. She is just lying by the roadside, gathering dust. Sad.

Is this a standard 10?
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-img_20120603_145651.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_20120603_145641.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_20120603_145631.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2012, 18:54   #1454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Spotted this standard in chennai a while back. Looks like an abandoned resto project. She is just lying by the roadside, gathering dust. Sad.

Is this a standard 10?
Yes its a late 50s Super 10. Appears to have nearly everything intact atleast on the interior. Looks like its being done up at snail's pace...hope it gets attention soon.

Last edited by Stanher : 3rd July 2012 at 18:57.
Old 7th July 2012, 21:04   #1455
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Standard cars - Delhi Durbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
A fleet of Standards, for the Delhi Durbar 1911,shown in London.
Two 20 H.P. cars were reserved for the personal use of Their Imperial Majesties.

source:The Autocar, Sept 1911

Attachment 950392
Super pic. I suppose one of these survives in Calcutta, red and black with the strange roof. There is also an early tourer in Delhi, wonder if it had a Durbar connection.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks