Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2012, 14:21   #661
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007;
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post
This picture is from early 60's.
No, it was taken much later. The truck being handed over could not have been made before 1969 for reason explained below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post
The Sikh gentleman is the customer who had bought the very first TMB truck. As a mark of appreciation, Telco gave him the 100,000th vehicle in liu of the 1st one, which was trasnfered to the museum. The person giving away the key is Mr. Sumant Mulgaonkar, ED. The caucasian gentlman is Mr. Hans Stoehr, the first GM of Telco. I believe even this 100,000 truck was taken back sometime in 70's under a similar arrangment.
The 100,000th vehicle made by TELCO was also the first vehicle to carry the "T" logo on its grill. It was the first vehicle to be made after the expiry of collaboration with Daimler Benz in 1969. All earlier trucks/buses carried the Mercedes star. Unfortunately, the Sikh gentleman is covering the grill so one can't make out.

Last edited by directinjection : 13th July 2012 at 14:33.
directinjection is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 15:04   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
When this Dodge-Fargo truck was last made? I'm not seeing much of these trucks now a days.

Below one is a Hindustan make truck of BBMP(Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagar Pallike- Greater Bangalore Municipal Body). My friend spotted this in Bangalore. I'm seeing this Hindustan truck for first time. Seems that it is not in use now.

Copyright: R.Subramaniam
Attachment 852354

Attachment 852355
These BEDFORD trucks are very common sight in Pakistan. They are still in full use in Pakistan.These pakistanis build wooden bodies on the frame of this truck and paint it in garish colours.
Old 13th July 2012, 16:33   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
These BEDFORD trucks are very common sight in Pakistan. They are still in full use in Pakistan.These pakistanis build wooden bodies on the frame of this truck and paint it in garish colours.
A Bedford truck like this, taken from a recent newspaper article. I think that these trucks were a bit larger than what Hindustan Motors used to offer. They were extremly sturdy.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-iqbal.jpg  

Old 13th July 2012, 16:52   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
A Bedford truck like this, taken from a recent newspaper article. I think that these trucks were a bit larger than what Hindustan Motors used to offer. They were extremly sturdy.
Cheers harit
Bedford trucks made by Hindustan Motors were notorious for poor quality and reliability. Same was the case with Dodge truck/bus chassis that Primier Automobiles made. They were associated with frequent breakdowns. No wonder there were very few takers for them. They were mostly purchased by Govt. departments/local bodies. State Transport Corporations also kept away from them after intial purchases revealed the poor quality & reliability issues.
Old 14th July 2012, 09:12   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
No, it was taken much later. The truck being handed over could not have been made before 1969 for reason explained below.

The 100,000th vehicle made by TELCO was also the first vehicle to carry the "T" logo on its grill. It was the first vehicle to be made after the expiry of collaboration with Daimler Benz in 1969. All earlier trucks/buses carried the Mercedes star. Unfortunately, the Sikh gentleman is covering the grill so one can't make out.
Dear Sir,

Yes you are right. It should have been "late" 60's. I regret this clerical error. Those days Telco used to have full-time staff photographers to chronicle important or even everyday happenings. The person who took that picture was first day on job. He retired in 2002. I used to meet him often in later years.

And I think that Ceylon export year could be anything between 1961 to 64. One of these days I should revisit the Telco archives hall.

regards
Old 25th August 2012, 22:49   #666
Senior - BHPian

two recent leads:
1. about a week ago, i saw a white imported VW 'transporter' van/bus with a high roof ( extension) , mid 80s model without number plates , parked at hudson circle . possibly belongs to BBMP Hq next door . may be for scrapping. VW fans may check out further . especially pawan kadam !

2. about 4 days ago, parked at Hajee's petrol pump, St Marks road, i saw a mid 80s gorgeous long van of chevrolet/cadillac make with Kingfisher logo and brand red/blue/white colours- felt it may be for sale?
Old 28th August 2012, 08:49   #667
BHPian

1982 Model TATA 1210, With typical Kannur Style Body work.
Photo courtesy: Friend's facebook page.
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-parassini.jpg  

Old 5th September 2012, 23:07   #668
Distinguished - BHPian

A Lambretta three wheeler picture from 1972.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-picture-223.jpg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 00:31   #669
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of spottings :

An early registration Tata truck.
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-tata.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Harit tells us of the other side of coin.

Quote:
....................I know that Dukes cold drinks-the Mangola people had kept their first truck, a chevy in a compound opposite Shakti Mills at Mahalaxmi. The truck just rotted into the ground. There was another Morris Commercial truck lying near Bombay Central Railway station, same thing happened.
Just some thought, not very encouraging because of practical difficulties.

Harit
Today I saw a Morris Commercial van somewhere close to Dockyard station. It was parked along with a Morris Minor. Am not sure if the Morris Commercial was used for Commercial purpose. Reason being that (1) It had side windows...small sliding ones and (2) it had facing bench seats at the back. So there was the driver seat (RHD) - next to it possibly the engine bay - no passenger seat. And at the rear facing bench seats. Maybe this is the same Commercial that you are referring to - and it has survived
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-6869771197_b178936e2c_z.jpg
Old 26th September 2012, 09:57   #670
BHPian

Here is My Classic Commercial Vehicle
Hope u guys like it

As i said I got it as a gift for my Birthday this Year. (Duly Gifted to Myself hehehe) Got it home on my birthday itself, Its a running example, but was not used for any commercial purpose for nearly 8 years now. The owner used to move it around in his alley once in 2 weeks so everything was in working order when i got it. I rode it back home from the Owner (again a single owner example) It covered a distance of around 11 kms without a glitch. And thanks to My Friend Ilango from this forum got me some extra Spares too, which he got from his hometown. The 3 Wheeler has everything intact except the Headlamp and front Monogram, the original Indicators (Square with white and red colour lenses) are still there, the Speedo too seems original (need to confirm though).

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dscn0231.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dscn0230.jpg
Shreeram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 10:56   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Today I saw a Morris Commercial van .......................Maybe this is the same Commercial that you are referring to - and it has survived
If you can check that Commercial, you may find that it bears an MP registration, and is fitted with a diesel engine. If that is so, then its for sale, and its not what I refered to as that vehicle is now in the ground and was located near Mumbai Central station. Ofcourse, the picture you have put up is not that spotting, but from the net for representation only.
BTW, while excavating some car, the guys chanced to look over a compound wall and saw a similar vehicle with original engine but very badly corroded, in Mumbai. But that is not for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
Hope u guys like it.........
Yes, we do like it. If the body is not factory original, you have a choice to do some period creative styling, make it a scooter carrier for show
I am surprised that you collect non glamorous vehicles, but then there are lots of nuts around including me

Cheers harit
Old 26th September 2012, 11:02   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
Hope u guys like it

As i said I got it as a gift for my Birthday this Year. (Duly Gifted to Myself hehehe) Got it home on my birthday itself, Its a running example, but was not used for any commercial purpose for nearly 8 years now. The owner used to move it around in his alley once in 2 weeks so everything was in working order when i got it. I rode it back home from the Owner (again a single owner example) It covered a distance of around 11 kms without a glitch. And thanks to My Friend Ilango from this forum got me some extra Spares too, which he got from his hometown. The 3 Wheeler has everything intact except the Headlamp and front Monogram, the original Indicators (Square with white and red colour lenses) are still there, the Speedo too seems original (need to confirm though).
@Sreeram : Congratulations for this bold step. These are quite rare in Maharashtra, but I think are plenty in the southern side. I see many in Coimbatore, running on Kerosene. I have also seen a couple of them in Bangalore as LPG delivery vans.
I have also travelled in one of them in Indore which was indeed a pristine example, running on pure petrol ! I did ask him why not use LPG kit, he told me that the engine is not suitable for such conversion. Till date I have not found the answer to this.
All the best for the restoration. Please keep us updated !
Old 26th September 2012, 11:06   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Yes, we do like it. If the body is not factory original, you have a choice to do some period creative styling, make it a scooter carrier for show
I am surprised that you collect non glamorous vehicles, but then there are lots of nuts around including me

Cheers harit
EXACTLY what's on my mind. Either a scooter Carrier or a Woody Passenger Carrier. But i am not sure When our Vintage and Classic Rallys will allow such vehicles to be Included..
- I (CAN) only collect such Non Glamorous Vehicles, Especially the 3 Wheelers these days. More to come soon, hope so.

- I missed an opportunity to meet u at the Rally, Maybe at the Soon to be Mumbai Rally for sure.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 26th September 2012 at 12:39. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post please. Thanks.
Old 26th September 2012, 12:31   #674
Senior - BHPian

is that a bedford truck ?

@ cochin shipyard . still a good workhorse huh !
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-cochin-ship.jpg  

foby.sebastian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 12:45   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
is that a bedford truck ?

@ cochin shipyard . still a good workhorse huh !
Nopes thats a Leyland
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks