Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:44   #121
Senior - BHPian

I would keep my eyes open for a top of the line Nano bearing the Lanchester name.

What a blast.

Guys I stand corrected regarding the date of the Lanchester aqusistion by Daimler/ BSA. The actual date is 1930.1955 was when they actually discontinued the Lanchester brand

That Daimler history website is an amazing read.

Wasif

Last edited by wasif : 3rd June 2009 at 10:47.
Old 3rd June 2009, 22:16   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Moralfibre and me recently spotted this trio of rust buckets. One appears to be a white fintail 220S Merc, the other a 46-48 Chevy Fleetmaster taxi. what is the third? It has a typical English car rear end, like a Hillman or Humber or Sunbeam but is quite large. Unfortunately we couldn't get better pictures.
Karl, surprised that you still find cars like this lying around in Pune.
The Merc seems to be dead, look at the rear mudguard, appears to be sloping downwards. This mistake is often made by the tinkers in 108,110,111,112,114 & 115 Mercs. Is the engine still in?And not dieselised?
About the Daimler, this should be immediately checked for missing parts and if most is there, then at least preserved for the moment. If deterioration goes on, then she will definitely die.
BMW's Barockengel's nearly killed BMW, the company was saved by major cash infusions by the major shareholding family. Have not heard of one having ever come to India.
Old 3rd June 2009, 22:33   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Moralfibre and me recently spotted this trio of rust buckets. One appears to be a white fintail 220S Merc, the other a 46-48 Chevy Fleetmaster taxi. what is the third? It has a typical English car rear end, like a Hillman or Humber or Sunbeam but is quite large. Unfortunately we couldn't get better pictures.
Karl the Chevrolet Fleetmaster taxi may have been imported from Nashik to Pune. If there's a 4 cyl dirty diesel under its bonnet, my guess will be right.
Old 4th June 2009, 09:49   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Karl the Chevrolet Fleetmaster taxi may have been imported from Nashik to Pune. If there's a 4 cyl dirty diesel under its bonnet, my guess will be right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Karl, surprised that you still find cars like this lying around in Pune.
The Merc seems to be dead, look at the rear mudguard, appears to be sloping downwards. This mistake is often made by the tinkers in 108,110,111,112,114 & 115 Mercs. Is the engine still in?And not dieselised?
About the Daimler, this should be immediately checked for missing parts and if most is there, then at least preserved for the moment. If deterioration goes on, then she will definitely die.
BMW's Barockengel's nearly killed BMW, the company was saved by major cash infusions by the major shareholding family. Have not heard of one having ever come to India.
Yup, most Mercs like you mentioned sag at the rear. There was an ivory 220S fintail MRC regd. in Pune in Fatima Nagar that suffered from this very badly. Otherwise complete. Any idea what happened to it?

The Daimler and other 2 are parked in a fenced gated field, I assume they have been collected and dumped there. The cars were spotted in Mahabaleshwar, and no, I dont remember exactly where or how to get there, so don't ask me. The taxi is MTL regd, an original Wai/Panchgani/Mahabaleshwar taxi. I would love to save this one, it is the last of the breed (so far). There is a 47 Ford light bus taxi still in Wai, BYL regd.
Old 4th June 2009, 23:08   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Hi Anjan,

I have a Fleetmaster 2 dr coupe which I bought without mechanicals. And the car is now lying in Nashik. So my buddy in Nashik went around searching for these Fleetmasters, hoping that they may have still kept the engine after fitting diesel engines. I had myself seen these Fleetmaster Taxi's on the road many years ago. And we were hoping to find some trim. RTO did not extend the permit, these cars were junked, we found the remains of 3 such cars in Nashik, unfortunately nothing useable was left.

harit
Old 5th June 2009, 10:03   #126
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Yes ,,Barockengel'' is German, so what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Ram : I believe the 501 was refered to a Baroque Angel in English. The "Barokangel" term sound like its from teh German language.
Wasif
Yes ,,Barockengel'' is German. And ,,Barockengel'' translates to "Baroque Angel".

While the Germans may have nicknamed their old BMW 501/502, Barockengel which may even mean baroque Angel in English, did the English speaking world, actually associate such a nickname with the BMW 501/502 cars?
-- the adjective baroque with the noun angel? doesn't somehow fit !

In Bombay, we used the Marathi term Dukkar (डुक्कर) for the old Fiat 1100 sans vestigial tailfins. Of course, properly translating the term to call those Fiats "Pig" (English) or "सुअर" (Hindi) stretches the usefulness of translation too far, don't you suppose?
Old 5th June 2009, 13:18   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Yes ,,Barockengel'' is German. And , did the English speaking world, actually associate such a nickname with the BMW 501/502 cars?
-- the adjective baroque with the noun angel? doesn't somehow fit !
Ram. These cars were definitely not referred to as such when they were in production. The name was coined much later due to their styling

Wasif

Last edited by wasif : 5th June 2009 at 13:19.
Old 5th June 2009, 16:08   #128
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this car near saket yesterday......
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-dsc01222.jpg  

Old 5th June 2009, 16:14   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Spotted this car near saket yesterday......
It might be a vauxhall. Those lights on the fenders look odd.

Cheers

Aditya

Last edited by TractionAvant : 5th June 2009 at 16:15.
Old 5th June 2009, 18:47   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope this is the right thread for this, even though I saw this car only in a movie!

Can someone help me identify this car? 'saw it briefly in a 60s tamil movie. I first thought its a Triumph 1800 roadster......but later on concluded that it's not, after googling images.

Sorry but these are the best pics. I could take of the car.

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-img_3128.jpg

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-img_3136.jpg

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-img_3126.jpg

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-img_3137.jpg

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-img_3129.jpg

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-img_3130.jpg
Old 5th June 2009, 19:16   #131
Senior - BHPian

Looks like chop jobbed late 40's P3-P4 60 or 75 Rover to me. Typical front & rear end and wheel caps. Shame how they have chopped this car!

Last edited by V-16 : 5th June 2009 at 19:26. Reason: add
Old 5th June 2009, 19:35   #132
Senior - BHPian

Jagver P300

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Looks like chop jobbed late 40's P3-P4 60 or 75 Rover to me. Typical front & rear end and wheel caps. Shame how they have chopped this car!
Yep, looks like a chopped up Rover P3. But what's with the door design? Rover P3 with Jaguar SS100 doors?

Also, the right rear-hubcap is missing. Shame shame.
Old 5th June 2009, 19:46   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
But from the images I've seen of said car, it seemed to be a 4-door saloon. So would this car also originally have been one, converted to 2-doors? Which could explain the SS shape of the doors, as pw has pointed out?

Reg. the missing hubcap, since this car was used as a baddies' car in the movie, it might have been intentionally removed to make it look a bit "rough"!

Also there was a patch on the hood.
Old 5th June 2009, 19:51   #134
BHPian

Sorry folks, this is a genuine article, a Rover 12 Tourer.
Old 5th June 2009, 20:41   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Spot on, prabal! Here are pics. to confirm it:

Rover 12 Tourer - Google Image Search

How rare/common is this Rover model in India btw?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks