Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 23:21   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

This one isnt really an old movie, but nevertheless shows an old car!

A very recent (but no idea how recent, not in touch with newer movies) tamil movie 'Paiya' (boy), showing a '46(?) Ford Super Deluxe sedan.
I dont know how prominent this car plays in this movie, as I havent seen it. Anyone from TN who has would know?
In a few pics, the car appears painted a bluish-grey rather than the green it is in, but those could just be edited images as the basic colour hue too is different from the rest.

Anyone from TN who know this car? C S Ananth et al? Regn. appears to be a Coimbatore one?
Incidentally, I remember having seen a similar car parked in a shed at Puthupet, the big scrapyard at Madras, a couple of years ago. It was said to have been owned by a guy who let it out for film shoots so it wasnt for sale. I dont know if it was running. Might be the same car...it was painted in a garish multi-coloured hue then though, maybe done up for another film.

Also what looks like an Austin tourer in an 80s tamil movie, Singaaravelan...sorry about the bad quality:

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6697.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 20th July 2010 at 23:22.
Old 21st July 2010, 12:44   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
A very recent (but no idea how recent, not in touch with newer movies) tamil movie 'Paiya' (boy), showing a '46(?) Ford Super Deluxe sedan.
I dont know how prominent this car plays in this movie, as I havent seen it. Anyone from TN who has would know?
I have seen an older picture of this car in Xoticar's albums, in two tone blue.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 21st July 2010 at 12:45.
Old 21st July 2010, 13:01   #288
BHPian

The car as the defining character in a film : Ajantrik

Slightly OT here, but I must mention possibly the first instance of an automobile as an important, almost defining character in an Indian film ( not necessarily a mainstream, or a Hindi film). I refer to the Bengali film Ajantrik, directed by Ritwik Ghatak.

More info. on Ajantrik below, courtesy Wikipedia :

Ajantrik (known internationally as The Unmechanical, The Mechanical Man or The Pathetic Fallacy) is a 1958 Indian Bengali film written and directed by parallel filmmaker Ritwik Ghatak. The film is adapted from a Bengali short story of the same name written by Subodh Ghosh.
A comedy-drama film with science fiction themes, it is one of the earliest Indian films to portray an inanimate object, in this case an automobile, as a character in the story. It achieves this through the use of sounds, recorded during post-production, to emphasize the car's bodily functions and movements.

The protagonist Bimal can be seen as an influence on the cynical cab driver Narasingh (played by Soumitra Chatterjee in Satyajit Ray's Abhijan (1962), which in turn served as a prototype for the character of Travis Bickle(played by Robert De Niro in Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver (1976).The film was considered for a special entry in the Venice Film Festival in 1959.
Plot

Bimal is a taxi-driver in a small provincial town. He lives alone, his taxi (an old 1920 Chevrolet jalopy which he named Jagaddal) is his only companion and, although very battered, it is the apple of Bimal's eye. The film shows episodes from his life in the industrial wasteland, delivering people from one place to another.Georges Sadoul , the well-known film critic shared his experience of watching the film in this way. He said, "What does 'Ajantrik' mean?I don't know and I believe no one in Venice Film Festival knew...I can't tell the whole story of the film...there was no subtitle for the film. But I saw the film spellbound till the very end". According to the noted Bengali poet and German scholar Alokranjan Dasgupta, "The merciless conflict of ethereal nature and mechanised civilization,through the love of taxi driver Bimal and his pathetic vehicle Jagaddal seems to be a unique gift of...modernism."

---------------------

Regards

P.S. : I'll check out and see if I can post pics of the car here. How does one copy a pic from a dvd onto a USB? Or should I simply shoot the car using my camera phone when I play the dvd?

Last edited by issigonis : 21st July 2010 at 13:08. Reason: Edited some portions
Old 21st July 2010, 20:32   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Slightly OT here, but I must mention possibly the first instance of an automobile as an important, almost defining character in an Indian film ( not necessarily a mainstream, or a Hindi film). I refer to the Bengali film Ajantrik, directed by Ritwik Ghatak.

P.S. : I'll check out and see if I can post pics of the car here. How does one copy a pic from a dvd onto a USB? Or should I simply shoot the car using my camera phone when I play the dvd?
Ajantrik is a beautiful film. In true Rittik Ghattak fashion, the movie leaves you spellbound with its technical brilliance, and the communication of a simple message in a heartwarming way. The Video Casette used to be part of my Dad's movie collection. Unfortunately I have no idea how to get the pics from a VHS.

For DVDs, play the DVD with an application called "Cyberlink DVD suite". It has a unique "Capture screen" function. At any point, pause the movie and take a snap. The result can then be saved as a image file.
Old 22nd July 2010, 00:25   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A rather sorry-looking "topless" mk1 Herald (looks like an early one going by the bonnet vent under the windscreen, not the fake vents on the sides) that I happened to see in a relatively recent telugu movie "Allari" (mischief)
'happened to watch this movie fully (online) yesterday, so got to see a little more of this car...so a few more snaps!
Interesting turn-signals in place of the quarterglasses!

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6701.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6705.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6706.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6708.jpg

Also another Standard I'd been very much wanting to see again, and finally got to today! A Standard Pennant appearing briefly in another telugu movie 'Peddanayya', around 1997. This car seems quite original, barring a few bits (which I suspect was done for the film, as its supposed to appear like a chalti-ka-nam-gaadi type!) I suspect this car was picked up on hire for the film from the local scrapwalas back then, when these cars were being broken. It sadly may have been returned after the shoot! I cant make out the regn. clearly here but when I first saw this movie on TV, I could make it out as an APU regn. Anyone who know this car? Colour combo also seems unusual- light grey and apple green- normally the top-half would be cream/off-white as on my Pennant. The green was an original colour on these cars though.

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6725.jpg
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6712.jpg
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6715.jpg
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6719.jpg
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6728.jpg
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6729.jpg
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6731.jpg
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6732.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd July 2010 at 00:29.
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:09   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Ajantrik is a beautiful film.
For DVDs, play the DVD with an application called "Cyberlink DVD suite". It has a unique "Capture screen" function. At any point, pause the movie and take a snap. The result can then be saved as a image file.
>>>predatorwheelz,

Thank you for the suggestion. Will do so as soon as I can.
It will be also a good idea to check the antecedents of the car ( model year, engine specs etc.) and the history of this specific car. After all how many cars are there in the world which have been the defining character in a film directed by a genius, albeit a tragic one?

Regards
Old 22nd July 2010, 19:34   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
'happened to watch this movie fully (online) yesterday, so got to see a little more of this car...so a few more snaps!
Interesting turn-signals in place of the quarterglasses!
Shyam the mid 1960's film Leader starring Dilip Kumar shows a white (single colour) Standard Herald.This is a later one maybe a 1963-65 model when the two tone colours were replaced with the single colour viz. grey, black, white,sky blue and so on.
Old 22nd July 2010, 20:39   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Shyam the mid 1960's film Leader starring Dilip Kumar shows a white (single colour) Standard Herald.This is a later one maybe a 1963-65 model when the two tone colours were replaced with the single colour viz. grey, black, white,sky blue and so on.
Wow, that's interesting to know! Colour? Regn. no.?? Any pics.??

I did see another Dilip Kumar movie, Ram aur Shyam, where Waheeda Rehman drives a metallic coloured (obviously done up for the film) with a white stripe '61-62 Herald MSW 6752. And yes, here are the pics, courtesy apna youtube!

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6772.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6773.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6774.jpg
Old 22nd July 2010, 22:22   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, that's interesting to know! Colour? Regn. no.?? Any pics.??

I did see another Dilip Kumar movie, Ram aur Shyam, where Waheeda Rehman drives a metallic coloured (obviously done up for the film) with a white stripe '61-62 Herald MSW 6752. And yes, here are the pics, courtesy apna Youtube!

Attachment 392114

Attachment 392115

Attachment 392116
Shyam The link to watch the film Leader is here:

Watch Leader Online

Another trivia: Rajesh Khanna's first car was a white Standard Herald which he had sentimentally been attached to. He had preserved it till about a decade back.Am not aware of the latest on this front.
Old 22nd July 2010, 23:03   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Shyam The link to watch the film Leader is here:

Watch Leader Online

Another trivia: Rajesh Khanna's first car was a white Standard Herald which he had sentimentally been attached to. He had preserved it till about a decade back.Am not aware of the latest on this front.
Thanks, but now it says the link does not exist! :(
'will try in some other site on googling.

Also interesting to know that 'kakaji' had a Herald too!!!

Any pics. of said car? Also what model?

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd July 2010 at 23:04.
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:33   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but now it says the link does not exist! :(
'will try in some other site on googling.
Also interesting to know that 'kakaji' had a Herald too!!!

Any pics. of said car? Also what model?
Shyam I had read about it in a film magazine and have not much information.I tried links to see a song or two of the film Leader (1964) but could not see the white then new, Herald.
Old 26th July 2010, 21:23   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

A Standard Super 10 in an 80s Malyalam movie, Aram+Aram = Kinnaram, which I was told about by suren.

A Vauxhall Wyvern or Velox 'L' series, again in another mallu movie. Fitted with lots of antique 'accessories, such as lanterns, air horn!

A Morris Minor 4-door in yet another mallu movie, found on youtube. From what I could understand, the guy hiding in the parking lot steals all the wheels off the car while it is parked, using the jack etc. from the car itself, and sells off the tyres. The owner discovers it on his coming back!

Anyone from Kerala (ajay99 et al) know the last 2 cars btw?

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6919.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6920.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6922.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6932.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6933.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6929.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6930.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6931.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6924.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6926.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_6928.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 26th July 2010 at 21:24.
Old 29th July 2010, 20:52   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

A '64 Ford Falcon in a 1981 movie 'Wardat' starring Mithun Chakraborthy, who plays "Gun master G-9" in it!

Wardat (1981) MemsaabStory
Old 30th July 2010, 21:52   #299
Senior - BHPian

A nice car from the movie "Taxi Driver". Lovely song too - Mastaraam !!!
What car is this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-td1.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-td2.jpg  

Old 31st July 2010, 20:50   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
A nice car from the movie "Taxi Driver". Lovely song too - Mastaraam !!!
What car is this ?
Nice find - probably a Fiat?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I have seen an older picture of this car in Xoticar's albums, in two tone blue.
Here is the picture I was talking about.

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-ford05.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks