Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2009, 17:59   #421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
Wow,what a stunner!!. it's not often you see a completely original finny these days.
What you can do to prevent rust forming on the chrome is use 'Johnsons Baby oil'. You pour some on a clean cloth and rub it into the chrome. Just redo it every week or so and and it keeps the chrome in good condition and doesn't get oily or dusty.
Another important thing to watch is the right rear tail ight . This is directly above the exhaust pipe and the gasses attack the diecast metal .you can protect against this by making sure the exhaust pipe has a chrome extension which projects out further than the bumper.
Mercedes factory chrome is very high quality but the inside of the bumpers and grill are where rust starts. They should be painted a creme beige color from new and often this needs to be renewed to prevent rust starting.

Johnsons baby oil, that a good idea. I've tried 2T oil but then all the muck and dust collect.Coca Cola is a good cleaner for chrome, removes all the rust!!Apply Coke, leave it for a while, rinse with water and buff with a soft cloth.Got this info from the net, it really works, blew me away!!
Cheers,
SG
Old 2nd August 2009, 18:14   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
What you can do to prevent rust forming on the chrome is use 'Johnsons Baby oil'. You pour some on a clean cloth and rub it into the chrome. Just redo it every week or so and and it keeps the chrome in good condition and doesn't get oily or dusty.
Wow Baby oil. Im rushing to the chemist to get a few bottles. Bless you Star man for such an easy remedy. Thanks
Old 2nd August 2009, 22:09   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Wow Baby oil. Im rushing to the chemist to get a few bottles. Bless you Star man for such an easy remedy. Thanks

You could use any oil.We use normal coconut oil and then when we want to remove the layer of oil we clean it with petrol or break oil.Cheaper and works as good.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:10   #424
BHPian

Gorgeous!! Do pm if u ever consider selling. I used to have the '63 finny with the round lights. Sold it a long time ago and never saw it again ;-(
Old 6th August 2009, 10:34   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

A bright yellow fintail can be found here.

Flickr Photo Download: MERCEDES BENZ W110, 1966 MODEL

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-11001.jpg
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-11002.jpg

Must be a mafia don's car - look at the bullet shots through the side
Old 6th August 2009, 11:21   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Attachment 170439
Attachment 170440

What a sad fate for a beautiful car!!! I'm sure the 'mafiamobile' must be running a Matador diesel engine, Floorshift, Superking AC, modded fibre dashboard,'koyas' bucket seats etc etc, or as they say in kerala, 'Full Fittings'!!
Old 6th August 2009, 11:38   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilgee View Post
1967/230 S for all the fintail buffs, my all time favourite Merc.Imported from Kuwait now in Cochin via Bangalore.The coastal weather here is terrible for these cars. Has anyone tried clear coating the chrome, I'm told that Dupont has a chrome specific product.
Cheers,
SG
WoW! What a well kept Merc. Really mindblowing restoration. Love it.

Quote:

Attachment 170439
Attachment 170440

But what a hell is it ! Distroyed the car. I've seen it several times when I go to my wife house. I can't control my anger for spoiling such a classic!
Old 6th August 2009, 11:41   #428
Senior - BHPian

A 1960 Mercedes 200 Compact (W115) spotted from a garage near Linkaragapuram @ B'lore. Except the alloys nothing has lost its orginality!
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-31072009.jpg  

Last edited by hanmust : 6th August 2009 at 11:42.
Old 6th August 2009, 12:16   #429
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1967/230 S for all the fintail buffs, my all time favourite Merc.Imported from Kuwait now in Cochin via Bangalore.The coastal weather here is terrible for these cars. Has anyone tried clear coating the chrome, I'm told that Dupont has a chrome specific product.
Cheers,
SG
I know this car. I loved the sound of it - it was owned by someone I knew till he died in the mid 80's. Son is in the UK. Daughter used to drive it but a poor driver luckily never bashed it.

If I recall, one of the front wings and a headlight were damaged when it ploughed into a herd of goats on the highway
Old 6th August 2009, 15:20   #430
BHPian

Quote:
1967/230 S for all the fintail buffs, my all time favourite Merc.
Cheers,
SG
Beautiful car, if the owner gets the correct chrome exhaust tip, on the silencer pipe sticking out, it will be perfect.
Surprisingly for a car from Kuwait it does not seem to have tinted windows nor the factory Behr Air conditioning. These cars really look stunning with tinted glass in light green, and they match all factory colours.

hanmust
That is a 1971/2 W 115, could be 200 or 220.
Old 6th August 2009, 17:33   #431
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes Variants

Of late I have developed a sudden intrest in variants that were available within various models, This was the first I have seen to date In a W115, It was offered to me almost 5yrs ago, and I quite regret not picking her up. Always quite fancied an ambulance with flashing lights. Please note I have researched with the W115 club in Germany and this is an original variant apparently quite rare in Germany as well.

Does anyone else have other pictures of Variants in Mercedes marque.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-photograph-6809.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-photograph-6809-2.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-photograph-6809-3.jpg  

the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2009, 17:49   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Of late I have developed a sudden intrest in variants that were available within various models, This was the first I have seen to date In a W115, It was offered to me almost 5yrs ago, and I quite regret not picking her up. Always quite fancied an ambulance with flashing lights. Please note I have researched with the W115 club in Germany and this is an original variant apparently quite rare in Germany as well.

Pretty oddball, would have made for a unique display. Was this is Mahabaleshwar? Surroundings look like it.

I used to see this silver Ponton wagon as a kid, used to belong to dad's collegue at one point. MRX 5XXX regd. A genuine Binz conversion, it still is in good original shape with no alternations and fairly solid, when I saw it a few months back. Asking price was well in the two digits lakhs!
Old 6th August 2009, 18:54   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used to see this silver Ponton wagon as a kid, used to belong to dad's collegue at one point. MRX 5XXX regd. A genuine Binz conversion, it still is in good original shape with no alternations and fairly solid, when I saw it a few months back. Asking price was well in the two digits lakhs!
This variant came from Karnataka, I was sent physical photos with No plates blanked So i have no idea of its origin. But at that time I had the Ponton and was busy with it.

The Silver Binz bodied Wagon was also on my list till he told me the price, well you could get a unrestored Rolls Royce in the price. I was told it has some connections with the Gandhi's and that it had ferried Rajeev Gandhi to school or something of that sort. This may however be the last Binz wagon in the country. One was broken in front of me in Mahim some time ago. When I did not care for these oddities.

Do you have pics of the Silver Binz Wagon?
Old 6th August 2009, 19:58   #434
BHPian

What could be the suitable price of a 1981 500 SE? I have got a lead and I am looking forward to it but the guy is currently abroad and will be back by month-end. I will perhaps try and close the deal then, She's somewhere in Delhi right now and I will have a look at her sometime then. Its done close to 60k Kms. The guy is a acquaintance and wanted to sell it within the circles only.
Let me know what you guys feel for the appropriate price, will keep updated 'bout the proceedings.
Old 7th August 2009, 01:10   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This yellow fintail looks like a fun car, quite a bit funky. The owner seems to be proud of his creation. But, as we do not know the history of the car, why condemn him? He may have picked up a dieselised junk and played. So bumpers were changed and creativity crept in. I would prefer this to a hot rod. Personal choice, not to take away anything from a rodder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post

Many years ago, maybe end of 1980's beginning 1990's we took part in an exhibition at Pragati Maidan. The President of India was to come and inaugurate. So this W115 Ambulance made by Binz was parked there. I went up and examined the car, the guy even showed me the steel medical case. It was cream in colour.
I do not understand the need of rear doors on this example shown. Is it really original? The taillights are a deshi replacement, but somehow the body also looks grafted on.

Quote:
Pretty oddball, would have made for a unique display. Was this is Mahabaleshwar? Surroundings look like it.

I am aware of 2 ponton station wagons being in India. There may have been more.
One was lying in a garage in Bangalore in an industrial estate area, rotting. No idea if she was rescued.
The second was a Bombay car, belonging to a son of a Telco big big shot. It was greyish in colour, later silver. The rear doors opened as two doors, not a tailgate to be lifted.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks