Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2008, 11:38   #76
BHPian

@JayD

Chetta, one of the best maintained Benz seen.....wow.....Thanks for the photo, is this a show room ?

The mesh looks bit odd.....still the car is great

cheers
Old 12th September 2008, 11:51   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Im usually not very enamoured by the fintail Mercs, but this one sure is a looker. I assume the headlight stone guards and bumper guards are period accessories as well. Very cool.

And what about pics of the Amby behind?
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2008, 13:45   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I'm attaching a pic of a Fintail Merc 190 i spotted recently. It looked Completely original(excpt for the seat covers) to me, and i must say, its the best one i've seen to date. It even had a little mesh like thing on all four glasses to let air in i think) and even that had 'Made in germany' written on it, guess it was an optional accessory then!
Super looking Fintail there JayD. So understated and classy. Look at that meter. Only, what are those things on the bumpers?
Old 12th September 2008, 14:52   #79
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Only, what are those things on the bumpers?
Considering I've seen similar guards on another gorgeous 220S here in Hyderabad its likely these are accessories. Except for Mercs I've never seen them on any other car which leads me to feel they might be Merc accessories.
Old 12th September 2008, 18:12   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Considering I've seen similar guards on another gorgeous 220S here in Hyderabad its likely these are accessories. Except for Mercs I've never seen them on any other car which leads me to feel they might be Merc accessories.
Uh, not so sure, never seen them myself. I maybe wrong, as I often am in these matters. But these also look rather incongruous and not quite befitting the rest of the Merc design standards. They are suitable for a particular kind of fetish though.
Old 12th September 2008, 20:43   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Uh, not so sure, never seen them myself. I maybe wrong, as I often am in these matters. But these also look rather incongruous and not quite befitting the rest of the Merc design standards. They are suitable for a particular kind of fetish though.
I am yet to see any such overriders on any Merc 110's. To the best of my knowledge, they have probably been fabricated, and they may be a Hyderabad Special- Overriders.

S.B.Jatti.
Old 12th September 2008, 22:26   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
these also look rather incongruous and not quite befitting the rest of the Merc design standards. They are suitable for a particular kind of fetish though.
So Im glad Im not the only one who thought that
Old 12th September 2008, 22:46   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The blue merc is for sale (actually has been for over a year) for a stupid stupid price. Thats the reason its not sold as yet. The dealer/owner has since dropped his price but its still stupid.
7.5 Lakhs is what he is expecting. That is quite a lot.

They olive 110 has an original radio (Becker, I think)! The interiors on this car look great.
Old 12th September 2008, 22:53   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
P.S: Stanher chettan, the car has a AAU regn, any info reg this car?? Heard it was owned by some big guy there previously.
Well I might be able to find out more if you let me know the full no. (can pm me)

For now all I can tell is that AAU is a mid 70s regn.- our '74 gazel has it too.
Old 12th September 2008, 23:05   #85
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But these also look rather incongruous and not quite befitting the rest of the Merc design standards
I think some markets required retractable bumpers and possibly they were fit with these contraptions. I know very little about Mercs so will verify with some friends who are Merc fans
Old 13th September 2008, 00:15   #86
Senior - BHPian

Those ghastly torpedo type guards are definitely not original. They are fabricated of taken of some other car and plonked here.
The car is in pretty good shape and I just love the colour.
Old 13th September 2008, 18:48   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Some comments from Harit.

Quote:
Dear Karl

Some comments on the fintail 190. Very very clean car. Stating the obvious. Suggest if possible the owner removes the headlight mesh and the bumper guards. Probably he would have drilled a hole, let him put a rubber cap like part.
I also noticed that on the grill the stripes are missing, or is this an optical illusion.
About pricing of fintails, this is difficult. Even here prices are rising. The upper version, S class in good condition has already reached 8L. Good 190's asking about 3L. These are nice cars to own, drive very well and at one time were very prestigious cars. And they are sturdy, availability of parts is not a big issue, parts keep cropping up. I strongly suggest that you restrict yourself to a limited number of "Indian Classics", Fiat, Amby, Standard and go for something like this. Later on your own family would all fit inside and ride in comfort and style, in an appreciating asset. Just reinterating a point.
Incidently, my Amby is also being revived, but it will be restricted to one piece.

Harit
And a rare 170 Diesel he owned.

Quote:
Attachec a pic of a post war 170. This was a Mumbai car. Original Diesel. Unfortunately these guys threw the engine out and put a 180 diesel engine. I bought the car, restored her and sold off because of the engine. She was a good runner.

Harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-01.jpg  

Last edited by karlosdeville : 13th September 2008 at 18:53.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2008, 13:25   #88
Team-BHP Support

Now let me do a Karl to this one. The car above is registered BMU 2428 and so was Speedy's restored 170V - Speedy's 170V

Amazing restoration work Speedy! Why did you change the number to GTN?
Old 15th September 2008, 17:00   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Now let me do a Karl to this one. The car above is registered BMU 2428 and so was Speedy's restored 170V - Speedy's 170V

Amazing restoration work Speedy! Why did you change the number to GTN?
Moralfibre you are doing a cheap immitation of Karl The original Maistro would have spotted the difference in a jiffy. Should i wait for Karl to do the honours or should i. ok i shall .
See both the 170v body styles, they are completely different.
Mine is a convertible (dont know the exact name) this is a hardtop.
Mine is petrol this is diesel.
Mine came from a building garage. this one was at Byculla parsi colony and then went to Harit uncle.
When we got the car it was GTN not BMU, the rest you can ask my brother.
Old 15th September 2008, 18:42   #90
BHPian

My dad's just picked up 2 pontons from bombay. Ones in really good condition but the previous owner but a diesel into it. The other has the original engine but not doing too well on the astehtics. The idea is to make one really good car. Ill check the manufacture years and try and get some photos up soon.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th September 2008 at 22:54. Reason: Formatting tags removed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks