Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 13:19   #856
Senior - BHPian

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

I would request people to share your opinion on this topic http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-not-edge.html

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 7th February 2011 at 13:20.
Old 22nd February 2011, 14:12   #857
BHPian

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Hi Chetan, When I took delivery of the car they charged me Rs.5450/- for PDI & Registration. For Registration it costs them only Rs.450/- so the remaining 5000/- should
belong to PDI and Handling. I find that amount to be too high that activity.
How much you were charged when you took delivery of the car?
Old 23rd February 2011, 18:07   #858
Senior - BHPian

New Polo - Highline TDI - Ownership Report at 17,000 Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulrajeev View Post
Hi Chetan, When I took delivery of the car they charged me Rs.5450/- for PDI & Registration. For Registration it costs them only Rs.450/- so the remaining 5000/- should
belong to PDI and Handling. I find that amount to be too high that activity.
How much you were charged when you took delivery of the car?
Hi RahulRajeev, Congratulations on your new purchase! Drive safe

Sorry, all the papers are with my auditor and could not get the details. But as I remember, I also paid similar charges. I agree that it is on the higher side.

And Hi Guys! Sorry, could not update the thread for a long time. My observation of late is as below:

After the first service and subsequent ECU software upgrade - Engine has become a lot smoother. It feels much more happier than before. Obviously due to a remapped timing.

Early morning (cold start) jerks around 1600 RPM has completely disappeared. City mileage has improved. Turbo-lag has reduced (Not that I am getting used to it).

On the highway, mileage is almost the same. Top speed has marginally reduced. Torque between 2500 and 4000 RPM is excellent. Highway cruising and overtaking is a joy.

Other observations:
  • Back drum-brake makes a lot of noise.
  • Hand brake problem has been resolved.
  • GC is good but the mud flaps are too low. It some times scrapes the humps.
  • Front suspension is on the softer side and so has a diving tendency.
  • Braking ability is top notch.
  • Interiors have held on well - No Rattles.
  • Seat fabric gets dirtier - Sooner than expected.
  • Tyre noise has increased a bit. Air filled in the tubeless tyres holds good for a month.
Overall, I am very happy with the car. It is a delight to drive. ODO has crossed 17,500 Kms.

Received Kagu mats. They are good. I am yet to add GPS to my music system due to lack of time (Planning for a backpackers trip with family to Japan this summer).

AMC issue is still not resolved. Rear wind shield is still not replaced, since I was not able to leave my car at the service station.
Old 24th February 2011, 10:56   #859
BHPian

@Chetan - You say that the AMC issue is still not resolved. Could you please explain in detail about this issue for my benefit. Thanks.
Old 24th February 2011, 18:31   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvmallya View Post
@Chetan - You say that the AMC issue is still not resolved. Could you please explain in detail about this issue for my benefit. Thanks.
They are yet to give me an answer. As per the Sales Manager at VW Downtown, the confirmation is yet to be received from his boss. But he has orally confirmed that it will be regularised.

As I need a written confirmation, I am still waiting. I do not want to risk depending on one individual.
Old 24th February 2011, 21:47   #861
BHPian

@Chetan - I am yet to receive confirmation on AMC for my car. The reason - I wanted the servicing at Mangalore dealer and according to VW, the dealership at Mangalore is not officially opened. They have already delivered a hundred cars. I am looking forward to the official opening of the Mangalore dealership.
Old 25th February 2011, 15:09   #862
BHPian

Re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Ownership Report at 17,000 Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi RahulRajeev, Congratulations on your new purchase! Drive safe

Sorry, all the papers are with my auditor and could not get the details. But as I remember, I also paid similar charges. I agree that it is on the higher side.

And Hi Guys! Sorry, could not update the thread for a long time. My observation of late is as below:

After the first service and subsequent ECU software upgrade - Engine has become a lot smoother. It feels much more happier than before. Obviously due to a remapped timing.

Early morning (cold start) jerks around 1600 RPM has completely disappeared. City mileage has improved. Turbo-lag has reduced (Not that I am getting used to it).

On the highway, mileage is almost the same. Top speed has marginally reduced. Torque between 2500 and 4000 RPM is excellent. Highway cruising and overtaking is a joy.

Other observations:
  • Back drum-brake makes a lot of noise.
  • Hand brake problem has been resolved.
  • GC is good but the mud flaps are too low. It some times scrapes the humps.
  • Front suspension is on the softer side and so has a diving tendency.
  • Braking ability is top notch.
  • Interiors have held on well - No Rattles.
  • Tyre noise has increased a bit. Air filled in the tubeless tyres holds good for a month.
Overall, I am very happy with the car. It is a delight to drive. ODO has crossed 17,500 Kms.

Received Kagu mats. They are good. I am yet to add GPS to my music system due to lack of time (Planning for a backpackers trip with family to Japan this summer).

AMC issue is still not resolved. Rear wind shield is still not replaced, since I was not able to leave my car at the service station.
Hi Chethan, Glad to see you back!

How much did the Kagu mats cost? Can you show some pictures of it in your car?

Just last week, I finally got the Philips Xtreme Power bulbs installed. They do make a distinct difference.

I also got sun-film installed since Bangalore has warmed up in the past few weeks. I chose a medium tint from a US company called Global Films which on paper seems to block out heat better and yet let more light in. That set me back 4K. I am debating whether to spend 6.5K for the 3M front windshield film.

After waiting 6 months for the reverse parking sensor from VW Downtown, I got one installed from outside for Rs. 2,900. It has a visual indicator and it worked very accurately when I checked.

Car is working fine. One of these days, I have to start putting pressure on VW Downtown for the AMC, Service and of course the balance money from the car booking that they still owe me.
Old 26th February 2011, 20:53   #863
BHPian

The rains have come in early, I too am interested in the Kagu mats : full floor covering i presume. Thanks Chethan.
Old 27th February 2011, 01:03   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

The Kagu mats are the moulded ones, right?

I'd love those for the Swift. They look great for someone who collects great amounts of muck before cleaning: just tip it all out!
Old 27th February 2011, 21:18   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hey Chethan,

I told you about the seat fabric .

They Livon seat fabric on the Highline is of good quality (Apologies to owners of the other variants, I haven't gone through that seat fabric in detail).

Unfortunately the Livon seat fabric is also a dirt magnet since it looks like Velcro on close inspection.

Moreover it is a very difficult fabric to clean. This is a fabric which in the process of cleaning you end up making a bigger mess.

Within a few days, both my wife and I came to the conclusion that the seat fabric is a big distraction while driving. The very next week, we got the beige Polo art leather seat covers. Since then we haven't bothered with the seats at all.

I don't think the Livon fabric is suited for conditions in India.

Apart from this, I can think of two other components that I feel are not really suited for India.
  • The roof has some sort of beige lining which feels like you could punch holes in it. Now this beige lining is not fixed to the roof -- I mean there is a gap between the lining and the roof. Woe begone if someone touches that with a sweaty palm as someone recently did while installing the reverse parking sensor. Now my project for next week is to clean all his smudge marks.
  • The windows have some sort of felt along the glass which is also a magnet, though not exactly a dirt magnet. You see, if you wipe it with a cloth, you will find that the fibers from the cloth are now on this felt lining.

I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but I drove to BIAL from Koramangala when the Karnataka State Bandh was going on. If you rev to around 4K rpm on 1st and shift to 3rd, you get a nice kick and can overtake most cars.

6 months on, the Polo still instills a lot of confidence.
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:07   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Hi Chethan, Glad to see you back!

How much did the Kagu mats cost? Can you show some pictures of it in your car?

I will post some pictures during this week-end for sure. I think it is about Rs.4,500/- from Dinesh. Off late, I have become very forgetful!

Just last week, I finally got the Philips Xtreme Power bulbs installed. They do make a distinct difference.

100% right about this one! Not that you are wrong about any other!

I also got sun-film installed since Bangalore has warmed up in the past few weeks. I chose a medium tint from a US company called Global Films which on paper seems to block out heat better and yet let more light in. That set me back 4K. I am debating whether to spend 6.5K for the 3M front windshield film.

Does that not reduce visibility during night?

After waiting 6 months for the reverse parking sensor from VW Downtown, I got one installed from outside for Rs. 2,900. It has a visual indicator and it worked very accurately when I checked.

So, you got one finally.

Car is working fine. One of these days, I have to start putting pressure on VW Downtown for the AMC, Service and of course the balance money from the car booking that they still owe me.

These dealers are real dampeners. Otherwise Polo would have taken our spirits to a much higher level for sure.
Livon seat fabric does attract a lot of dust and stains. But I will still wait until this summer and decide. I am very skeptical about the comfort - artificial leather gives in summer. I am sure that it will heat-up and will make us sweat a lot.

I will wait for your feedback...
Old 29th March 2011, 16:33   #867
BHPian

Hello Chetan, I have been reading your thread for a long time. I have been pondering which vehicle to pick up for long. After doing lot of research and calculation I decided to go with Polo diesel. Congrats on your pick and thanks for sharing all this information. It really helped my decision.

I have few questions to you and to anybody else who could respond:

1. Does black polo heat up a lot? Is the AC strong enough for the car even during hot summers? For e.g if the car is parked in open sun for say 3 hours and if you get in, does it burn you? how long does it take for the AC to chill you? Is the AC good enough to make you comfortable for long drives.? sorry too many AC related questions but if you can explain a bit that will really help.

2.The other question that I'm thinking of is whether to go for Diesel Highline or comfortline. The costs after getting the new car (for me) are as follows:

If I go with Highline:
Sunfilms - 10K
Music system change - 20K
Tyre upgrade - 6K (with exchanging new ones ofcourse)
Total - 36K

If I go with comfortline:
Music system - 25K
Tyre upgrade - 10K
Rims - 20K
Fog lamps - 5K
Sun film - 10K
Total - 70K

Total difference between the 2 accessories - 35K
Total difference in the cars 1 lac (ex showroom prices)

With the diesel highline I then get tempted to go for Vento diesel trendline for an additional 1 lac - just for an awesome engine and put another 70K for the accessories I mentioned for polo comfortline.

What do you think is a wise decision? It could be a confusing question but at times I think I should just go for a practical polo trendline and add those necessary accessories and save cost.

Please let me know what you all think.
Old 30th March 2011, 00:45   #868
Max
BHPian

Phew, just finished reading whole thread, there are tons of post about HU!. Well, Frontosa, I think comfort line do not have ABS and Airbags apart from other things, these safety features are very important and hence I feel you should go for highline and not trendline.
Old 30th March 2011, 10:15   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
2.The other question that I'm thinking of is whether to go for Diesel Highline or comfortline. The costs after getting the new car (for me) are as follows:

If I go with Highline:
Sunfilms - 10K
Music system change - 20K
Tyre upgrade - 6K (with exchanging new ones ofcourse)
Total - 36K

If I go with comfortline:
Music system - 25K
Tyre upgrade - 10K
Rims - 20K
Fog lamps - 5K
Sun film - 10K
Total - 70K

Total difference between the 2 accessories - 35K
Total difference in the cars 1 lac (ex showroom prices)

With the diesel highline I then get tempted to go for Vento diesel trendline for an additional 1 lac - just for an awesome engine and put another 70K for the accessories I mentioned for polo comfortline.
Here is my experience...

When I bought our Esteem Lxi in 2004, I too did the same math. Like you, I added up the prices of additional accessories in the higher Vxi variant and couldn't make sense of the difference.

Consequently I bought the Lxi variant with the intention to add all the missing parts after delivery. As the years passed by, I realized a few things.
  • Firstly, we had bought that car on loan. Now, the difference in EMI of a grand or two between the two variants could have been easily paid every month. But coughing up 70K to a lakh of hard-earned cash began to look foolhardy as the days wore by. As it turns out, the only thing I added in the next 5 years was a low-end music system.
  • Secondly, I always had the nagging feeling that the car was missing something. I just couldn't put my finger on it, but I was always looking.

So I swore that if I ever buy a car again, I would buy only the high-end variant. As it turns out, the only car that I found worthwhile a year ago was the Innova. Now I had a conundrum. I could not afford the high-end V variant. So I asked here on Team-BHP about the Innova G. Everyone panned me for even thinking about it (due to the lack of ABS, etc.) and so I shelved the Innova purchase.

So it was that I ended up with the Polo high-end variant for half the price and I am very happy with my decision. Honestly, I don't miss a thing now.
nowwhat? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2011, 11:30   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
1. Does black polo heat up a lot? Is the AC strong enough for the car even during hot summers? For e.g if the car is parked in open sun for say 3 hours and if you get in, does it burn you? how long does it take for the AC to chill you? Is the AC good enough to make you comfortable for long drives.? sorry too many AC related questions but if you can explain a bit that will really help.

2.The other question that I'm thinking of is whether to go for Diesel Highline or comfortline.
Hi Frontosa,
1) The Polo AC is strong enough for the Indian summer. Yes the Black would due to obvious reasons heat up more than the white/silver. However after being parked in sun during summer in India, any car would become extremely hot and would need considerable time to cool down.
2) Have you checked out the existing Highline Music System and Tyres? They are good enough for normal usage. The existing system will not produce earth shattering lows or ear piercing highs, but will produce sound decent enough for a normal listener. The car is not the best place for an audiophile to listen to quality music. Unless you spend most of your day in the car listening to Beethoven and Bach (or want the pedestrians and fellow drivers to dance to your beats) it would be worthwhile to think of spending the money on a Marantz / NAD / Wharfadale / Bowers & Wilkins or even a Sonodyne high grade music system for your home (if you don't already have one that is). The only upgrade you can look for is the speakers.
The factory tyres on Highline are also absolutely perfect for normal driving conditions unless you plan to do powerslides and donoughts with your Polo. The manufacturer spends a lot of effort and research in selecting the tyres for your car. If you can rely on their choice for ABS / Engine / Brakes / Airbags etc, then why not the tyres?
The list of worthwhile accessories for a Polo Highline should be - sunfilm, mudflaps, floormats and bumper strips (faux leather / pure leather seat covers may also be considered as the Livon upholstry catches a lot of dust).
But then it is your choice at the end of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
So it was that I ended up with the Polo high-end variant for half the price and I am very happy with my decision. Honestly, I don't miss a thing now.
1+ to nowwhat?.
Go for the highest end variant you can afford and be happy for the rest of the life of the vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks