Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2010, 12:08   #961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
wow !! those figures are going to bring lot of smiles, I only hope they have reworked on their diesels. During initial reviews they were termed sluggish and missing the fun factor
Turbo kick-in at 2000 rpm instead of 1750 rpm in other cars.
Torque band from 2000 rpm to 5000 rpm which is similar to other CRDI engines.

These are limited by technology available at this hour, unless Super charger is used which will increase the cost.

Don't you think we are asking for too much?

If VW had introduced 1.2 TSI and 1.2 CRDI with Super Charger and increased the cost of POLO across range by 75K? Or if only Highline had this as option? What do you think?
I would have loved it and would have been spoilt with choice.
Old 18th April 2010, 14:08   #962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
infact for me Polo looks very similar to Palio stile from front. Just that grille is little different! Maybe the VW badge gives feel of a premium car
If you take a TD, your opinion will differ. Or just get inside Polo.
Polo sometimes resembles our old Zen also from some angle. (no offense!)

Badge only increases expectation. It does not always influence decision. This is only my opinion.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 18th April 2010 at 14:10.
Old 18th April 2010, 19:44   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Turbo kick-in at 2000 rpm instead of 1750 rpm in other cars.
Torque band from 2000 rpm to 5000 rpm which is similar to other CRDI engines.

These are limited by technology available at this hour, unless Super charger is used which will increase the cost.

Don't you think we are asking for too much?

If VW had introduced 1.2 TSI and 1.2 CRDI with Super Charger and increased the cost of POLO across range by 75K? Or if only Highline had this as option? What do you think?
I would have loved it and would have been spoilt with choice.
I think VW should have given 1.2 TSI atleast as an option, it would have been a real treat, but I guess the cost factor has prevented them, maybe they didnt want polo to get tagged as an expensive hatch. Even though petrol polo is competitively priced most of the times its the diesel polo price which forms the base for price argument.

The diesel engine is a totally new unit so the Fabia effect wont reflect in its DNA. And the petrol engine is not a tractor, a TD can change that perception to a great extent. Yes it is noisy compared to others but it certainly not a deal-breaker.
Old 18th April 2010, 21:23   #964
BHPian

i hate only these things which are absent from the polo. climate control. and power mirrors.
Old 19th April 2010, 00:06   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
i hate only these things which are absent from the polo. climate control. and power mirrors.
I agree WRT climate control. It is required in our daily use. It will be a good value addition. We can set it to 25 degrees and forget. But again, we will have to adjust the fan speed depending on the necessity.

But Power mirrors? How many times do we adjust it in a week? Unless the car is driven by more than one person daily, IMO it is not all that necessary. Electrically fold-able mirrors can be useful in heavy traffic. Again, replacement will be very expensive.

But if the car is not good overall, these things alone will not help. It is like buying a mobile which can do any thing in the world other then catering to the basic phone functions, which is it's primary use.

Polo is a good car overall.
Old 19th April 2010, 00:43   #966
BHPian

Power mirrors are absolutely necessary in situations like parallel parking, parking near curbs etc., wherein directional adjustment is necessary and thus helps in driver convenience. Polo being a city car, its a must have feature to miss out on along with climate control at the times when comparable competitive rivals offer the same. Polo would have been an unbeatable package had it been launched with these gadgets along with more powerful and refined engines. Still there is hope due to VW promise of launching 1.6l engine variant but like Palio 1.6, this too may suffer from poor fuel efficiency. The 1.2 TSI was made to counter this specific reason, wonder why its not in the scheme of things of VW for launch in India.
Old 19th April 2010, 09:26   #967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Power mirrors are absolutely necessary in situations like parallel parking, parking near curbs etc., wherein directional adjustment is necessary and thus helps in driver convenience.
How, then have we managed without them all our lives? I have seldom driven and never owned a car with power-adjust mirrors!

However, I have coveted them. Some cars have an auto feature which points the left-hand orvm down when the car is in reverse gear, so one can see the curb. Neat

However, not at all necessary.

I love neat gadgets. The more the merrier, and it could influence my choice of car when buying, but let us keep "necessary" in perspective. I'd rather have safety features; I'd rather have rear wash/wipe.

Even power steering, which has become almost standard, is not, especially for our smaller cars, necessary, and parking sensors/camera, for a hatchback, is little short of a joke.

However, I wouldn't say no to any of these things, should they come as standard, and I also think, that to establish itself as India's premier hatchback, which I am sure it could, the Polo should have come with a rich selection of extras, even if that meant higher price.
Old 19th April 2010, 09:53   #968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How, then have we managed without them all our lives? I have seldom driven and never owned a car with power-adjust mirrors!

However, I have coveted them. Some cars have an auto feature which points the left-hand orvm down when the car is in reverse gear, so one can see the curb. Neat

However, not at all necessary.

I love neat gadgets. The more the merrier, and it could influence my choice of car when buying, but let us keep "necessary" in perspective. I'd rather have safety features; I'd rather have rear wash/wipe.

Even power steering, which has become almost standard, is not, especially for our smaller cars, necessary, and parking sensors/camera, for a hatchback, is little short of a joke.

However, I wouldn't say no to any of these things, should they come as standard, and I also think, that to establish itself as India's premier hatchback, which I am sure it could, the Polo should have come with a rich selection of extras, even if that meant higher price.
And maybe, after a year when 80% parts are made in India, VW would add these things as the standard package. What I like about the present package is that there is nothing cheap in it. Imagine if cheap quality extras which are of Asian make (mass produced) are added, we will have small niggles every day. Life expectancy also will be less. My GM cars music system failed after just 1 and a half years.

looking at the way Polo is positioned in UK, I have a feeling that a lot of options will be added even in terms of engines, with time to come. Also with Skoda and Audi in India, VW has a lot at stake. We should look at VW as a group of companies and guage its stake in Indian market.

With Polo sharing its parts with Fabia and A1, Spare part price will be cheaper compared to Fabia's history.
Old 19th April 2010, 11:27   #969
BHPian

when I booked the car, in terms of gadgets, I had three major concerns,
1) Electric ORVMs : This was one of biggest concerns and I could not imagine myself playing with those rods to adjust mirrors, but then I am the only one driving the car and I hardly have to adjust the mirror once or twice a month that too since washing guy sometimes misaligns it, apart from that I never fiddle with it, so I thought I could live without it.

2) Climate control : I drive a NHC and it has those traditional knobs and I find it pretty comfortable. After using them for couple of days one can make out the comfort setting for himself and it works effortlessly.

3) ICE without Aux/USB : Use of CDs does not bother me much, I have been using them for a while now. Only thing is over a period of time some of them tend to get scratched, but most of them stay intact. The best part is, its cheap, I can have loads of them (Polo has a really big glove box ). I classify my CDs according to different types of music, so switching between them is a matter of CD. A USB is offcourse portable but when a fresh collection comes the old collection has to go out or you need to have multiple USBs with you. Anyways having a USB is a boon, but for me it was not a deal-breaker
Old 19th April 2010, 11:33   #970

Saw a silver polo on the road yesterday. From the back it looked really bland, it did not look like a brand new car at all. My buddy's 2 yr old 35k kms driven swift looks a lot fresher. However when I overtook it had a look at its front, it looked much better.

Earlier in the day, I saw a red polo and was impressed, but that rear of the silver polo somehow has left me unimpressed with the polo. All that feel of premium was lost in just one glimpse for me.
Old 19th April 2010, 11:46   #971
Senior - BHPian

The only thing i miss badly in Polo is USB connectivity on ICE. I don't like to play with CDs.
The effectiveness of ACC in low end cars is always debatable. It depends a lot on the design, sensor placements,compressor capacity etc. It may not be as simple as set and forget.
EOVRMS, good to have but not a necessity. I prefer to do lot of things manually
Old 19th April 2010, 12:10   #972
BHPian

Well, to each his own, though i feel a strong undercurrent of justifying the poor spec of the Polo here in India, as well as a sense of "german quality made in India" being the panacea ( or is it placebo??) for all ills. (And this applies to the auto press as much as the rest of us)
At the end of the day, when you pay fairly large sums of money ( going up to 8 lakhs and more in the case of a Diesel Highline here in Bangalore), saying that ACC is debatable in a small car, and I use CD's anyway, is a bit of a stretch. Does one use airbags or ABS every time the car is taken out? Why pay for those?
The new variants of the i20 aren't giving us heart-rending stories about why the integrated turn indicators are not right for the Indian market, or why steering mounted controls are too fiddly.
Producing the Polo in India should mean we get more for less, not less for more!
Old 19th April 2010, 12:30   #973
Senior - BHPian

cracking, different companies measure customers mindset differently. If needed VW should have made the spoiler,15" alloys etc as accessories like Honda and could have included features like ACC, EOVRMS etc. If they do this another set of people will complain. It is nearly impossible to provide all the features you need in a 7lakh car.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:59   #974
Team-BHP Support

I am seeing plenty of Figo's but not too many Polo's. Again, I might not be noticing them
Old 19th April 2010, 15:28   #975
Senior - BHPian

Got our Red Polo Comfortline Yesterday! Havent got any day light pictures at the moment, so will click them asap and post the initial ownership report soon. I also got the new Pioneer 4250SD installed along with JBL0948s.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks