Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 00:38   #2761
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Guys when is vento 2 coming I.e with 1.4 tsi or with different interiors
Now we are talking. Waiting for any information on the upcoming Vento 2, with all the steering mounted controls, new ice, smoked headlights and the new engines coming up.
Can the earlier Vento be retrofitted with the steering mounted controls or not. Various website speculating upcoming launch of Skoda Laura(retta) which looks more like Vento with new front and rear.
Any insider info would be great. Lets get to work.
Old 2nd September 2011, 00:58   #2762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Guys when is vento 2 coming I.e with 1.4 tsi or with different interiors
As far as I am aware , there is no TSi update planned in this current year especially when markets are likely to be weak . There are no hints on interior tweaks too - if there was any Diwali update planned, some leaked info would have been expected by now. Just today itself , the new channels carried a report which said that VW is going slow till it gets clarity over the changed VAT rules in Maharashtra which affects all auto manufacturers with a setup in Maharashtra .
One relevant article which explains the change is as given :-
Maharashtra - Changed VAT rules worry Volkswagen

A piece of good news is the opening of additional training centres for dealership service personnel , hope our days of dealing with noob personnel are going to be over soon. Relevant news article link is given alongside ( Volkswagen open regional training centre in Mohali, IBN Live News )
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 06:10   #2763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I think the purpose of the 2 memories is to store information for separate trips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
What I am trying find is when the MID2 will be automatically reset?
I would like to find out average FE with MID over a longer period of time say 1 month. Is it possible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Separate memories? I wish one was for short term (2 hrs reset time) and the other for long term. (1000km reset).
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Nilesh, does the average readings stay on MID 2 - my understanding is that it would not though I have to confess that I never paid any attention to it
Guys, I was wrong about the Trip 2 memory. It is indeed the long term memory just like Oxyzen wanted. I have posted the relevant page of the manual in the features and quirks thread --

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2490220
Old 2nd September 2011, 07:31   #2764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The article sounds more like speculation and hope. There is no concrete information given. Noopster had indicated earlier that these changes are on the cards but wont take place until 2012 in all probabilities.
Anyone has any more news regarding this?
May come earlier. The Lauretta is already in production it appears and has an AUX in/SD card standard on the ICE. Doesn't look like the 1.5 TDI is making an appearance anytime soon, 1.6TDI production is in full swing now.

I guess with the Vento's twin in Skoda guise due for release soon, VW would want to maintain the differentiation for the Vento so the upgraded ICE, rain-sensing wipers, auto-headlights, leatherette seats, steering-mounted controls may also be coming earlier than 2012. Am not sure about this at all, just speculating.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:13   #2765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I guess with the Vento's twin in Skoda guise due for release soon, VW would want to maintain the differentiation for the Vento so the upgraded ICE, rain-sensing wipers, auto-headlights, leatherette seats, steering-mounted controls may also be coming earlier than 2012. Am not sure about this at all, just speculating.
Now whats that supposed to mean mate. Stop messing with my head . So do I wait now or do I go ahead and book, given the fact that there is no real emergency to buy a car. Or I will go for the Altis and buy the upgraded Vento later rather then the Jetta .
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:55   #2766
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
May come earlier. The Lauretta is already in production it appears and has an AUX in/SD card standard on the ICE. Doesn't look like the 1.5 TDI is making an appearance anytime soon, 1.6TDI production is in full swing now.

Good point. And if they have plans to get the 1.4TSI in the Jetta (early 2012), they could bring it (or 1.2TSI) across the range. Good time ahead for the customers

Quote:
Now whats that supposed to mean mate. Stop messing with my head. So do I wait now or do I go ahead and book, given the fact that there is no real emergency to buy a car. Or I will go for the Altis and buy the upgraded Vento later rather then the Jetta.
If you are not in a hurry, maybe its best to wait until Diwali. That’s when manufacturers come up with some updates. So your Jetta plans are off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
it is because it all seems to have started with comments by SR-71, me and sauravc.
-------
Those who don't know the background, this and before, is when it started.
IMHO, that one post from you was quite uncalled for, and being a Vento-man, sourav’s response came promptly.
Just a thought – if you want to help out SR-71, you should have quoted his post and responded in your ‘driven’ thread. That can be the ideal place for such a comparison (as you have most of the cars in this range reviewed there).
Good to see that we are back in the Vento discussion

Question to Vento owners: What's the turning radius of Vento, and how easy is to park it tight parking slots (say apartment basement parking)?.
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:59   #2767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
Now whats that supposed to mean mate. Stop messing with my head . So do I wait now or do I go ahead and book, given the fact that there is no real emergency to buy a car. Or I will go for the Altis and buy the upgraded Vento later rather then the Jetta .
I think even if they come up with new ICE it will be more expensive. Instead you can go for current one and buy your own ICE as they are not changing the engine or key things of the car. Just my opinion.
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:18   #2768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
I think even if they come up with new ICE it will be more expensive. Instead you can go for current one and buy your own ICE as they are not changing the engine or key things of the car. Just my opinion.
I don't care about the ICE. But steering controls, auto folding ORVMs are a much welcome change.
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:40   #2769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So do I wait now or do I go ahead and book, given the fact that there is no real emergency to buy a car. Or I will go for the Altis and buy the upgraded Vento later rather then the Jetta .
Its better to wait , as vb mentioned the best deals are around Diwali and given the dismal numbers this year , I am sure we would see a plethora of deals . Its better to stock up on cash ( equity) so that any car loan component can be reduced given the interest rate scenario which is likely to get worse . In fact as an afterthought , I believe, that if you are not in a hurry you would be better off by waiting it out till December and then make your move. By that time you would most likely get clarity on TSI ( which is a fab engine), upgrade and of course drive a hard bargain with the dealer . I would expect the car sales to be gasping for breath by that time , which is a good time to move if you have cash in hand. Start looking out middle of the month, go in for the kill around a week from the end. If you have time on your hand why not use it to your advantage !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Question to Vento owners: What's the turning radius of Vento, and how easy is to park it tight parking slots (say apartment basement parking)?.
Turning radius is not too much of a problem , there was a comparo vid of ACI on Vento and similar cars and Vento came out best ( not a great differentiating factor though IMO as everyone's within a narrow range) - neither am I going to take any names nor would I put any link here since I am pretty much through with comparisons . I own a Swift too and would say that the Vento is 15-20% worse off than the Swift , the light steering of the car helps.

For tight parking slots , its better if you have sensors and/or cameras since the rear view mirror is crap and the boot is a bit on the higher side.
I feel very scared of smashing into flower pots or obstacles which goes beneath the view of the mirror . In Mumbai when we park our car in roadside parking , the attendants make you park in the tightest of spots leaving enough space for only a Miss India slip out of either of the front door. The steering has little or no play so it helps to straighten the car and slot home. I believe Bala80 has the tightest parking amongst most of us so I would request him to share his experience.
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:46   #2770
Distinguished - BHPian

vb-san: Vento is a dream to park. I squeezed it in a barely-there spot yesterday in my apartment complex and was mighty proud of myself. The light steering helps no end. The back is a disaster visibility wiese so you'll need rear sensors or a helpful passenger-seat occupant (luckily I have both!)

drmohitg: check my PM. You have only yourself to blame .

But couple of corrections in my earlier post : no rain-sensing wipers, leatherette seats, auto-headlamps etc. in the Vento refresh planned. The all-important steering mounted controls and USB-compatible HU, plus parking sensors is the only thing you can look forward to additionally.
If you ask me, and since ICE is not that big a deal for you, this should not be a deal breaker. Get the existing model.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:56   #2771
Senior - BHPian

Is the ICE HU offered on IPL edition worth having? Do we know the make of this model? I really miss using my ipod and its a big letdown when going for long rides.
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:41   #2772
Senior - BHPian

If you want a touch enabled HU and are willing to go without the "OEM Look", there are much better options in the market. Pioneer and Kenwood 7" touchscreens with pre-outs, ipod control, USB, BT etc shouldnt cost you more than 25k
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:43   #2773
Senior - BHPian

The turning radius on the paper is 5.4 mts, however in practice this car is a dream to park in tight spots. As souravc mentioned this was a very important criteria in my case as my home is located on a very narrow road and I need to reverse it into my parking slot over a steep ramp. Though it is not as easy as the swift (4.8 mts), what helps in tight parking situations is the straight lines on the sides without any bulges/curves (eg-swift) and hence fairly easy to make a judgement. I usually keep the left ORVM as the reference point and the only thing you need to practice is to reverse with the help of ORVM's (if you are not already used to it!) instead of turning around in the drivers seat, which is quite useless due to restricted rear view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I believe Bala80 has the tightest parking amongst most of us so I would request him to share his experience.
I'm smiling after reading this post of yours. With the exception of steering mounted controls, others can be fit after market and hence no regrets. My only question would be - having raised the price of the diesel variant by about 25k recently, would these addition also carry an increment in price?

Quote:
The all-important steering mounted controls and USB-compatible HU, plus parking sensors is the only thing you can look forward to additionally.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:34   #2774
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : Do NOT start unnecessary debates on this thread, especially on cars that are unrelated to the one in the thread title. Also, please note that we will NOT tolerate biased posts.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:33   #2775
Distinguished - BHPian

With respect to the inconsistent activation of features on the Vento, I had a chat with an acquaintance who's familiar with the assembly process. He says that the features are all activated at some point in the factory but that there is a checkpoint just before releasing the car from the factory where they arein fact DEactivated so that the transit can be managed safely.

Apparently these features need to be re-activated at the DEALER'S before being handed over to the customer. This is apparenly not happening, or at least the features are not being enabled consistently in every case (e.g. my case I had each and every feature listed so far activated, not sure of any which are NOT listed )

I have no opinion either way: even IF this is true, it is VW's responsibility to ensure that the car is fully functional, so to speak, before leaving the showroom. But I would like to request all future Vento owners to include the features list on Souravc's thread (link) in their PDI checklist. That way you can demand that the missing features be activated. Remember, delivery time is when teh dealer is most likely to listen to any of your demands.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks