Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2011, 09:15   #811
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ View Post
Planning to drive down to payyannur tomorrow morning (Sudden decision-so no time to prepare). Heard that the stretch after hunsur is in a bad condition.
Is it the same now ?
Hope its drivable. Will be travelling in a Fiesta . Hope it will not get swallowed up in giant potholes.
Any updates on the route will be appreciated.
@_raviShankar_, I couldn't make the last trip in car. Went and came back by Bus, so no detail info about the road. Still, I feel the road is drivable...( I was able to sleeep well in the Bus..!!)

From Iritty take direct route to Thalipparamba and Payyanur.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 31st December 2011, 09:23   #812
BHPian

hey,
From road deviation to coorg , your night mare will start till you reach the ghat section top and then kerala will welcome you with hell till mattanur..
Basicaly if uer driving a SUV , it will be some what ok, else its a hell trip on road..
I driven back on 10th Dec in THAR.
Old 21st January 2012, 20:08   #813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
hey,
Basicaly if uer driving a SUV , it will be some what ok, else its a hell trip on road.

I'm planning on driving to Kannur from Bangalore in the 1st week of Feb in a Zen. How is the the road condition currently. Has any repairs been carried out after Dec, which was the last update. Are the road still pot-holed and would it be possible to reach in a day if I leave by 10 in the morning??

Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 12:55   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetarantula View Post
I'm planning on driving to Kannur from Bangalore in the 1st week of Feb in a Zen. How is the the road condition currently. Has any repairs been carried out after Dec, which was the last update. Are the road still pot-holed and would it be possible to reach in a day if I leave by 10 in the morning??

Thanks
We drove back from Kasaragod via Taliparamaba - Iritty - Virajpet - Hunsur yesterday to Bangalore. We took 8 hours and 30 minutes.

The road from Taliparamaba to Virajpet is fantastic and very scenic. It is also full of curves which will slow down. But wil enjoy the drive. From Taliparamaba Cannanore is just 25 KMs on NH 17.

Virajpet - Hunsur via Gonikoppal is bad. Road is broken throughout - except for two KMs near Hunsur - and is not advisable. It will be better to take Hunsur - Piriyapatna - Siddapura - Ammathi - Virajpet - Iritty route which will save you the hassle of driving on Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet road. It is an additional 10 KMs and is worth it.
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:02   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Virajpet - Hunsur via Gonikoppal is bad. Road is broken throughout - except for two KMs near Hunsur - and is not advisable. It will be better to take Hunsur - Piriyapatna - Siddapura - Ammathi - Virajpet - Iritty route which will save you the hassle of driving on Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet road. It is an additional 10 KMs and is worth it.
Even Priyapatna route is not good comparing to Gonikoppal route, isn't it?
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:08   #816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Even Priyapatna route is not good comparing to Gonikoppal route, isn't it?
I am not sure. I am suuming that this shouold be better than Gonikoppal as Guests to Oranage County take this route and should be better. I called up Orange County and they suggested that Piriyapatna - Siddapura is not great but better than Hunsur - Gonikoppal
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:25   #817
Senior - BHPian

1) Yes it is marginally better than Gonikoppal route. but if you drive carefully (especially around 20-25 KM stretch between Hunsur-Gonikoppa) Gonikoppal route is OK.

2) Piriyapatna route was better but now a days many vehicles take this route and road condition has gone bad. If you are driving in the night Piriyapatna route is better because of low traffic.

3) If you are concerned about the road condition - Drive all the way to Kushal nagar from Hunsur, after crossing Kushal nagar (around 5-6 KM) take left towards Siddapura. But this route will take another 30 min extra, but road condition is better than other two (not great!)
Old 24th January 2012, 15:57   #818
BHPian

Guys... I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Kannur on 26th on this route. How is the road beyond Virajpet?

How's the road from Itritti to Mattannur?Most people whom I checked with have reported that while the Ghats here are very beautiful, expect to do only about 30K.m.p.h due to bad roads and possible traffic backup around the bridge.

Is it still worth the attempt or should I take a complete different route via wayanad?
Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 16:27   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni_s View Post
Guys... I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Kannur on 26th on this route. How is the road beyond Virajpet?

How's the road from Itritti to Mattannur?Most people whom I checked with have reported that while the Ghats here are very beautiful, expect to do only about 30K.m.p.h due to bad roads and possible traffic backup around the bridge.

Is it still worth the attempt or should I take a complete different route via wayanad?
Thanks
Virajpet-Iritti-Mattanur route is excellent. FAUJI travelled on it last week.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 16:54   #820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni_s View Post

Thanks
1) Ghat road is good except for few patches - Its 2 lane road so be careful and set the speed limit 50 max and follow proper lane discipline.

2) Kootupuzha-Iritty-Mattanur stretch is bad - but they did some maint. work last month and is much better than it was during monsoon season.
Mattanur-Kannur stretch is excellent.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 09:26   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetarantula View Post

Thanks
Hi,
No signs of repair in KA stretch still.You can reach in a day, with some bend rims and rattling , if not driven carefully.
Old 25th January 2012, 10:36   #822
BHPian

I went to Iritty twice in December.

The first time I took the route Bangalore --> Hunsur--> Gonikoppa --> Virajpet--> Iritty.

The section between Hunsur --> Gonikoppa --> Virajpet was very bad with full of big potholes. Took a hell lot of time.

While coming back, we took the route Iritty--> Virajpet --> Madikeri --> Kushalnagar --> Hunsur --> Bangalore.

The road was good except for a couple of kms between Virajpet and Madikeri.

The second trip, I took the route on return Virajpet --> Sidhapura --> Chettalli --> Suntikoppa --> Kushalnagar --> Hunsur --> Bangalore.

The road till Kushalnagar from Virajpet was narrow, but good one. I would certainly recommend this route though its slightly longer.
Old 25th January 2012, 10:42   #823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prasidhi View Post
I went to Iritty twice in December.

The section between Hunsur --> Gonikoppa --> Virajpet was very bad with full of big potholes. Took a hell lot of time.

While coming back, we took the route Iritty--> Virajpet --> Madikeri --> Kushalnagar --> Hunsur --> Bangalore.

The road was good except for a couple of kms between Virajpet and Madikeri.

The second trip, I took the route on return Virajpet --> Sidhapura --> Chettalli --> Suntikoppa --> Kushalnagar --> Hunsur --> Bangalore.

The road till Kushalnagar from Virajpet was narrow, but good one. I would certainly recommend this route though its slightly longer.
I agree with Prasidhi. The stretch between Hunsur - Virajpet via Gonikoppal is not going to improve in near future. They have cut down the road side trees and the road is up for widening. As we have seen on earlier ocassions, the road will improve only with when widening is complete which will take a year atleast.

Hence aother options given here by Prasidhi is the best bet as of now.
Old 30th January 2012, 14:25   #824
BHPian

Did a trip few days back and took the usual Gonikoppal-Virajpet bypass. I was hoping to see terrible roads, but was surprised. The roads all are patched up and there are no big potholes until you hit the Virajpet bypass. It is not smooth driving, but very manageable uneven road. Only the virajpet bypass stretch is completely broken and in a very bad shape. Took me about an 1Hr 45 Mins to travel from Coorg cafe until the end of the virajpet bypass.
vista_qjd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 17:31   #825

Am going from Bangalore to Thottada near Kannur in a couple of days. Has anyone an update on road conditions? I'm told that Blr-Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Nagarhole Road to Kutta- Manathavady-Nedumpoli-Koothuparamba-Thottada (join NH66 from SH38) is the best route. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks