GRT on the Salem bypass is an excellent choice
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 09:27   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I was told Hotel Arunachala is good
Thanks for the detailed route. Guess will try that, since hoping to reach Karur around 7.30 - 8.00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Thanks Sridhu. However as per my plans I will be passing Salem around 6AM that was the reason I was thinking of a break beyond Salem.

Also any one has update on route condition between Dindugal - Thekkady ?
Old 26th September 2013, 09:46   #708
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Also any one has update on route condition between Dindugal - Thekkady ?
On the TN side its very nicely done (Dindigul-Theni). Not much idea beyond.

Last edited by ampere : 26th September 2013 at 09:48.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 12:30   #709
BHPian

Hi,

Given the present road conditions, which is the best route to get to Munnar from Bangalore. I am planning to drive down next week.

A few years back (before the Blore Coimbatore road became toll road) I had gone via Bhavani, Tirupur, Palladam to Udumalaipet and then on to Chinnar and Munnar. Which is the quicker route now. I plan to leave Blore around 5am (will be at Silk Board by 20 mins)

Also, if I were to do the return trip from Munnar via Sathyamangalam, Chamarajnagar, Kanakapura, how much time would it take. Is Munnar, Palladam, Annur, Sathyamangalam the best for this?

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th October 2013 at 09:49. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 4th October 2013, 19:26   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureshS View Post
Also, if I were to do the return trip from Munnar via Sathyamangalam, Chamarajnagar, Kanakapura, how much time would it take. Is Munnar, Palladam, Annur, Sathyamangalam the best for this?
Udumalpettai to NH209/NICE road junction in Bangalore would take you around 6.5 hours.

I'd think Palladam-Avinashi-Sevur-Puliampatti-Sathyamangalam may be slightly better than Udumalpettai-Kamanaikenpalayam-Karumathampatti-Annur-Sathy because on the latter route passing Somanur town can be a pain due to a railway overbridge construction there. (Not sure f this is complete now, this was the case till a few months ago). Distance wise both alternatives are more or less the same.

Roads are generally in very good condition.
Old 4th October 2013, 23:13   #711
BHPian

Thanks Kala. Is it better to get to Munnar by this route or better to come via Salem? I would prefer reaching Munnar before dark since I don't know that road well. One way a bit of delay is Ok since I know the Kanakapura side better.
Old 5th October 2013, 00:02   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureshS View Post
Thanks Kala. Is it better to get to Munnar by this route or better to come via Salem? I would prefer reaching Munnar before dark since I don't know that road well. One way a bit of delay is Ok since I know the Kanakapura side better.
The answer to whether or not NH209 is more preferable than NH7/47 is highly subjective. I know a lot of people who aren't comfortable in driving on two lane highways, and they always prefer the Salem route. Same is the case with people who want to eat only in nice restaurants on the way - they too choose the Salem route.

In my personal case the choice is almost always NH209 because I prefer a relaxed drive on a low traffic road to higher traffic on 4 laners, and have absolutely no problems in entering restaurants that aren't too fancy. As far as time is concerned both the routes take almost the same time for me (I live close to Banashankari and so getting onto NH209 is a lot easier). And on top of all this, the saving on the toll amount is an additional bonus

If you start early from the city (say 4 or 5AM), it shouldn't be too difficult to reach Munnar by mid afternoon whichever route you take, so reaching there after dark shouldn't be too much of a worry.
Old 5th October 2013, 10:49   #713
BHPian

Thanks Kala. That is very helpful. I too live on the Banashankari side and I have no problem getting on to Kanapura road. And I have no issues eating in not so fancy restaurants And I too hate the high traffic on the 4 lane highways. So yes, I guess I am more like you in this regard

I guess the route will be via Chamarajnagar isn't it. I have been to BR Hills on this route. Let me try this route both ways. Once again, thanks for the info.
Old 5th October 2013, 14:22   #714
Distinguished - BHPian

I am currently in Munnar. Onward journey was on 2nd Oct from Bangalore via Salem- karur- cumbam- kumily since first day stopover was at Thekkady. Roads in general are good throughout apart from few deviations on Cumbam- Theni route due to road work.

Roads in Munnar are horrible.

Planning to return tomorrow via Udulmelpet route will update on road condition once I reach Bangalore.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 23:10   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I notice that the hotel is no longer carrying the GRT badge. We've stayed there once and found it super comfortable and affordable. Hope the new management keeps up the quality
Old 6th October 2013, 07:45   #716
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
I notice that the hotel is no longer carrying the GRT badge. We've stayed there once and found it super comfortable and affordable. Hope the new management keeps up the quality
The hotel name continues to be Grand Estancia. But they no more are tied up with GRT.
Old 7th October 2013, 15:55   #717
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a 5 day Bangalore - Thekkady - Idukki - Munnar trip
Started at 02 Oct 03.30 AM from home near Marathahalli, Attible toll for a change was empty. Reached Salem by 6.00 AM and Karur by 07.30 AM. Got on to service road at Karur for breakfast at Arunachala only to find that they open for Lunch only.
Fueled up at HP COCO at Karur and had breakfast at a hotel next to petrol bunk around here . Took right from Dindigul and went via Theni- Cumbam to reach Thekkady.
Roads in general are good throughout apart from few patches on Dindigul - Cumbam stretch.
Reached hotel at Thekkady by 12.30 PM.

On second day started off to Munnar via Idukki since dam is open for public till 20th Oct. Roads from Munnar to Idukki also is in good condition. From Idukki took SH 43 via Karimban - Keerithodu - Kallarkutty Dam to join the NH 49 at 2nd Mile.

This route is shorter (~53 Kms) compared to Kattapana route (~110 Kms) from Idukki dam to Munnar. However roads are in terrible condition and it took 2.5 hours to cover that 53 Kms. Reaching NH 49 also did not give any respite since it is in terrible condition than SH's.

However other SH's around Munnar (towards Eravikulam national park & Mattupetty dam , Kundala dam) are in good condition.

Return was via Udumelpet - Palladam - Avinashi- Salem route. There are two flyover work going on on at Udumelpet here and another just couple of KM's before Avinashi byepass here. Crossing the second one is a pain since there are no markings and one has to offroad a bit through mud roads to reach back. Luckily for us there was a goods auto rickshaw which guiding us through.

Also for those heading or returning to Munnar via this route do make a point to visit Lakkam waterfalls which is next to road itself & Muniyara Dolmens around 2.5 KMs off main road near Marayoor. Iam unable to get the exact location of the same on Google maps but it is somewhere around here . The place is accessible, once you are on Kanthaloor road go ahead for around 2.5 Kms and you will find a board marking Muniyara Dolmens to your left. Some 200 mts in that road you will reach the site. View from the place is great.

We stopped at both waterfall and Muniyara on way back, then at Saravana bhavan for lunch near Vaikundam toll before Salem. Reached home around 7.30 PM after a 08.45 AM start from Munnar.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 7th October 2013 at 15:58.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 23:11   #718
BHPian

Hi,

I'm planning a BLR-Madurai-Munnar-BLR trip next week with parents and I'd like to halt at Madurai on day one and head towards Munnar the next day to reach after noon.

The route plan I've thought of (with inputs from @DRIV3R) is:

Day 1:
Bangalore -> Chamarajanagar -> Sathyamangalam ->
Puliampatti -> Avinashi -> Palladam -> Dharapuram ->
Oddanchatram -> Dindigul -> Madurai

Day 2:
Madurai -> Munnar

Day 4:
Munnar -> Udumalaipettai ->
Palladam -> Avinashi -> Perundurai -> Bhavani ->
Salem -> Dharmapuri -> Krishnagiri -> Bangalore

Questions:
  1. Any comments on road conditions etc., please?
  2. Also, what would be ideal starting times on day 1 and 4 given that I don't want to exceed 80kmph regardless of how good the road is?
  3. Suggestions for lunch stops?
  4. Suggestions on places to stay at Madurai? (Munnar is already taken care of)
  5. Should I consider halting somewhere on day 4 for the night?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by nareshov : 10th October 2013 at 23:19.
Old 10th October 2013, 23:40   #719
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Hi,

The route plan I've thought of (with inputs from @DRIV3R) is:

Day 1:
Bangalore -> Chamarajanagar -> Sathyamangalam ->
Puliampatti -> Avinashi -> Palladam -> Dharapuram ->
Oddanchatram -> Dindigul -> Madurai

Day 2:
Madurai -> Munnar

Day 4:
Munnar -> Udumalaipettai ->
Palladam -> Avinashi -> Perundurai -> Bhavani ->
Salem -> Dharmapuri -> Krishnagiri -> Bangalore
Any specific reason for taking Sathyamangalam route on day 1? NH 7 route through Krishnagiri - Salem - Dindigul - Madurai would be the fastest and easiest.

Bangalore - Karur can be covered in 4 hours with an early morning start (before 4 AM). Even if you are driving below 80 KMPH as you mentioned a 7-8 hour drive would be what required to reach Madurai.

Dindigul - Munnar takes around 2.5 hrs - 3 hrs. Roads are in good condition mostly. Road work is going on at some places but nothing to be concerned about.

Return route through Udumelpetai has also good roads through out and can be done in around 9 hours.

While return you can stop for lunch at Saravana Bhavan here . If you start early from Munnar you will be reaching here around lunch time.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 23:56   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Any specific reason for taking Sathyamangalam route on day 1? NH 7 route through Krishnagiri - Salem - Dindigul - Madurai would be the fastest and easiest.
For the more scenic/relaxed route.

Quote:
Bangalore - Karur can be covered in 4 hours with an early morning start (before 4 AM). Even if you are driving below 80 KMPH as you mentioned a 7-8 hour drive would be what required to reach Madurai.
4AM is a bit too early both for me and my parents, 6AM should be manageable. If I can make it two/three hours in time before the place of stay at Madurai closes I should be good. We plan to look around in Madurai the next morning.

I've shortlisted Hotel Metropole based on a travelogue in the forum. Any alternatives in case I don't get this?

Quote:
While return you can stop for lunch at Saravana Bhavan here . If you start early from Munnar you will be reaching here around lunch time.
How early: 4AM or starting off by 7 or 8 be fine? I'd like to take short stops at the two places you've mentioned too: Lakkam falls and Muniyara Dolmens.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks