Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2013, 22:01   #751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Hi - what I wasn't sure about was the condition of the road from Munnar to Thekkady via Pooppara (and whether there was any blockage between Pooppara and Munnar) since I haven't gone that way in the recent past. Since you had travelled on that route recently you are probably the best person to clarify that. Would you suggest that road to get to Thekkady from Munnar or is some other route (say via Idukki / Kattappana) better ?
I used the Pooppara Munnar stretch both onward and return. No there were not any blocks. But from Poopara I drove off to
Neriamangalam and so I can not honestly comment or compare the route to Thekkady via Idukki/Kattapana.

Cheers
Old 21st November 2013, 14:53   #752
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Finished my trip: Bangalore - Palani - Thekkady - Munnar - Bangalore
Routes followed:

Bangalore to Palani: Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Namakkal - Vedasandur - Palani
Very good road except for some bottlenecks due to deviations near Hosur and Krishnagiri

Palani to Thekkady: Oddanchatram - Take right before Dindigul - Periyakulam - Theni - Gudalur - Kumily - Periyar sanctuary
Except for a small bottleneck near Oddanchatram due to ongoing flyover work, road is good till Periyakulam. Periyakulam to Theni, road is a bit patchy. From Theni to Gudalur, the road is bad. However after Gudalur once ghat section starts, the road is superb.

Thekkady to Munnar:
I followed the SH19 to through Anakkara - Nedumkandam - Pooppara - Devikulam - Munnar. Road is in excellent condition throughout. Just fell in love with the winding roads all the way.

But it seems all roads inside town limits in Kerala are in bad shape since I experienced this in Kumily and Munnar. However just after crossing town limits, the highways are really good to drive.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with the routes.

Last edited by amazer2013 : 21st November 2013 at 14:55. Reason: Typos corrected.
amazer2013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 23:56   #753
BHPian

Fellow BHPians-

Any recent update on the functioning of Theni-Bodi-Munnar route? Has the work been completed and is open throughout? Appreciate your inputs!
Old 23rd December 2013, 16:57   #754
Senior - BHPian

I am doing Perundurai - Dharapuram - Udumalpet - Marayur - Munnar this week, please share if there is a recent update on the road condition
Old 23rd December 2013, 18:22   #755
BHPian

Anyone planning their trip on 25th Dec, I would be starting early morning from Silk Board with my Family. Anyone wants to join along...
Old 30th December 2013, 16:45   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supratim07 View Post
Anyone planning their trip on 25th Dec, I would be starting early morning from Silk Board with my Family. Anyone wants to join along...
Came across this post very late, I was on the same route on 25th Dec. Had an early start of 4 am from JP Nagar and reached Munnar town at 12.15 noon. I am not sure whether we crossed anywhere
Old 22nd January 2014, 15:03   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Just Visited Kolukumalai during Summer and the terrain was very hard and don't think even a 4WD Scorpio will be able to make it easily. Suggest to hire a jeep there. I paid Rs 1200/- for a round trip and later realized there were others ready for Rs 1000/- As well.

Apologies for the late post, but a two wheel Bolero CRDe made it to the top of the hill.

Yes, it is my Bolero, and I drove it up all the way to Kolukumalai.

Shyam
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:46   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamk View Post

Apologies for the late post, but a two wheel Bolero CRDe made it to the top of the hill.

Yes, it is my Bolero, and I drove it up all the way to Kolukumalai.

Shyam
I went on two routes
While going blr-Salem-tirupur-udumalaipet-munnar.
Road is good. Covered in about 8.5 hrs.

While coming back chinnakanal-suryanelli-bodimettu-theni-dindugal-blr
Road is good and only the chat is bad in some patches. Covered in 7.5 hrs
Old 3rd February 2014, 18:35   #759
Senior - BHPian

Is the best route already arrived at in any of the earlier pages? I am not able to find it, and hence request any of you to please suggest the same.
Old 4th February 2014, 07:10   #760
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Is the best route already arrived at in any of the earlier pages? I am not able to find it, and hence request any of you to please suggest the same.
Faster route (more 4 laned roads) would be Bangalore-Dindigul(NH7)-Vathlakundu-Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal (Club Mahindra, Sterling are here). From here Munnar town is 20 Km or so, estimate about an hour's drive for Chinnakanal-Munnar town.

Alternative route:
Bangalore-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalaipet-Munnar. This way you reach Munnar Town first.

Decide based on your destination hotel/resort at Munnar or try one route in each direction

Last edited by NPV : 4th February 2014 at 07:11.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 15:30   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Faster route (more 4 laned roads) would be Bangalore-Dindigul(NH7)-Vathlakundu-Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal (Club Mahindra, Sterling are here). From here Munnar town is 20 Km or so, estimate about an hour's drive for Chinnakanal-Munnar town.

Thanks NPV,

I will most probably be staying at Sterling, so will take the above route. How many hours should i budget for the drive? I am a sedate driver and dont go much beyond 100kmph.
Old 4th February 2014, 19:12   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks NPV,

I will most probably be staying at Sterling, so will take the above route. How many hours should i budget for the drive? I am a sedate driver and dont go much beyond 100kmph.
Bangalore to Dindigul should take you around 4-4.5hrs.

Dindigul to Sterling should take you around 4hrs as there is road work in progress between Theni & Bodi in the ghat sections.

Overall budget for 8-9hrs with breaks.
Old 5th February 2014, 10:01   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks NPV,

Watch your drive while crossing bodimettu-pooppara stretch as road widening work is still on and you will find pot-holes and big boulders in the middle of the road. This may test your patience as well as the nerves of your car. By the way, sterling resort is on the munnar-chinnar route and you will have to pass through munnar town while coming from Theni route. You may consider munnar-chinnar-pollachi-palladam-salem for return. Both options are now open 24 hours.
Old 5th February 2014, 11:04   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Watch your drive while crossing bodimettu-pooppara stretch as road widening work is still on and you will find pot-holes and big boulders in the middle of the road. This may test your patience as well as the nerves of your car. By the way, sterling resort is on the munnar-chinnar route and you will have to pass through munnar town while coming from Theni route. You may consider munnar-chinnar-pollachi-palladam-salem for return. Both options are now open 24 hours.
Sterling & Club M are next to each other at Chinnakanal off the Poopara-Munnar road 13 kms before Munnar town and NOT on the Munnar-Chinnar road. So when you are coming from Theni, you reach Sterling before Munnar town.
Old 5th February 2014, 11:27   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Sterling & Club M are next to each other at Chinnakanal off the Poopara-Munnar road 13 kms before Munnar town and NOT on the Munnar-Chinnar road. So when you are coming from Theni, you reach Sterling before Munnar town.
I am sorry about the error. In fact, during second week of January, I stayed at CM Munnar. But could not locate this sterling property. I was confused between this sterling holiday resort and sterling resort on munnar- udumalpet road. Thanks for pointing it out!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks